Prologue

City of Bright Lights

“Psstt.. Kyungwon ah.. Psstt..”

“Hmm..?” Kyungwon slightly raised her head from her textbook to face Minkyung, who was sitting directly across her at the study bench in the university’s study lounge.

“Have you heard of GCC? Gold Communications Company?”

“Yeap, of course I have. It’s one of the smaller Public Relations firms around, but they are really reputable in the PR field. Heard that they have partnerships with some big brand names for years now. Why’d you ask?”

“Have you ever entertained the idea of working there?”

“Haha, I have but I don’t think it will actually happen. Heard that they don’t really take in new hires often, and even when they do, they only hire a few staff each time. With such a bad job economy nowadays, I think I will be thankful to even receive a phone call from them for the interview round.”

“Speaking about interviews, did any company get back to you yet? I mean, I know you’ve been sending resumes for the entire semester now, has anyone offered you anything?”

“Nothing concrete yet, mostly responses such as ‘we will get back to you if you have been shortlisted’, which is kind of frustrating, especially since we are graduating in a couple of months.”

“Kyungwon ah, what if… what if I told you that I could get you an interview, or possibly even a permanent role, in GCC?”

“Tch… Minkyung, I didn’t know you worked in Human Resources or moonlighted as a headhunter!” Kyungwon remarked in jest.

“No, like for real.”

Kyungwon saw a rare glimpse of a serious Minkyung in that split second, and realized that Minkyung was not joking.

“I mean, what makes you say that? That you can get me an interview at GCC?”

“Well… I think I haven’t told you about this before, well at least not directly… My parents are the founders of GCC… And I am going to be starting work there after graduation… Mom and Dad also asked if I had anyone in mind whom I wanted to recruit as well, and I mentioned about you…” Minkyung hesitantly shared. 

Kyungwon’s jaw literally fell to the floor. Ever since they knew each other in high school, Kyungwon only knew that Minkyung’s parents were businesspeople who were really busy. Never did she expect that Minkyung’s parents were the founders of GCC, which also meant that Minkyung is the sole heiress to GCC.

“WHAT? I never knew about this! What’s going on?”

“I didn’t like people around me to know about my family background, so I always preferred to keep a low profile and hardly mention about my parents and their work much. I already have a sufficient number of superficial people trying to befriend me.”

That explanation made perfect sense to Kyungwon, since Minkyung was already popular before this revelation. Which brought Kyungwon to the next question.

“Then, why me? Why did you mention me? We still have some course mates looking for a job.”

“Because I know that you are not a fair-weather friend and I really hope that you could work together with me in the company. Somehow, our working dynamics really complement each other and I know that you can push me along the way whilst in the company. Besides, my parents know you and they reckon that you will be a valuable addition to the company too! I have shown them some of your projects and materials and they are definitely impressed with you.”

This was too much information for Kyungwon to take in in a span of 10 minutes. Her good friend has unexpectedly revealed herself to be the daughter of the founders of one of the most well-known Public Relations firm around, and has extended her a rare opportunity to join the firm.

“Minkyung ah, this is rather abrupt. I didn’t expect this at all! I mean, this is such a great opportunity, but I don’t know if I’m the best choice?”

“Kyungwon ah, on the account of our friendship, please consider to join GCC?”

Kyungwon remained silent for a brief moment, appearing to be in her thinking mode, before closing the textbook which she was reading.

“Hm, well then, when do we start?”

 

 

 

----------------------------------------------------

A/N: It has been a week of celebrations! #100DaysWithPRISTIN and #HappyNuNuDay

My writing gears are definitely rusty :/