Chapter 1

City of Bright Lights

“Psstt.. Kyungwon ah.. Psstt..”

“Hmm..?” Kyungwon slightly raised her head to face Minkyung, who was sitting directly across Kyungwon’s work desk.

“Can I just quit my job? I don’t want to face these problematic clients anymore."

“Dear Miss Kim Minkyung, I have heard countless of times about your desire to resign in the past few months. Do you have something new that you would like to share for once?” Kyungwon gave a slight side smile and brushed her off before re-focusing back to her computer screen.

“I think we should both quit then.” Minkyung continued to suggest in a serious manner.

“WHAT? Did you just say that ‘WE’ should quit?” that statement had totally caught Kyungwon off-guard, causing her to subconsciously bring her left hand to her chest to portray her shock. “Well, I have no intention to resign yet, especially since we are both barely half a year into our first job. Plus, I have a student loan to pay off, and most importantly, this isn’t my parents’ company.”

“But I’m tired of working here and having to face these demanding and unreasonable people... I just want to quit and not work anymore!” Minkyung whined.

Kyungwon could only shake her head slightly and gave a sigh internally. Kyungwon had always thought that Minkyung had no idea how fortunate she was from an outsider’s point of view. Minkyung really had it all, she was popular amongst her peers, often stood out in the crowd with her striking features and modelesque height, and came from a good family background. From a third party’s perspective, it seemed as if Minkyung should not have any reason to be complaining about her life.

Nonetheless, Kyungwon could still empathize with Minkyung and knew what was running through her mind. Minkyung was the only child and her parents had naturally expected her to eventually take over the company’s operations. Minkyung had chosen the path to study Public Relations to mainly meet her parents’ expectations. She did not hate her line of work, but she did not love it either. She simply had little motivation to give her all during working hours, and usually only contributed to meet the bare minimum of what was expected of her.

With Minkyung’s help and recommendation, they both managed to secure permanent positions in Gold Communications Company in the midst of a very competitive job market. Of course, Minkyung’s parents could see the tenacity and hardworking qualities in Kyungwon and hoped that she could positively influence their daughter as much as possible at work. In other words, Kyungwon’s role in the company was to nag at a very unenthusiastic Minkyung and to ensure that there were no lapses or oversights in their projects.

“Get back to work, will you? We have a project deadline to meet tomorrow. Stop thinking about quitting all the time.”

“How about making this project our last project? We can resign after we are done with this deadline tomorrow!”

Kyungwon sighed loudly this time to exaggerate her mock displeasure, hoping that Minkyung hears it loud and clear. “Why are you even dragging me into this…? Okay, fine, let’s say you have successfully resigned, what are your plans after that? Are you going to sleep at home all day? Strum your guitar in your room 24/7?” Kyungwon rebutted in an attempt to put up a logical argument to dissuade Minkyung.

“Oh, that I haven’t thought of…” Admitted Minkyung as she trailed off, spinning her ballpoint pen in her right hand as the gears in her brain started cranking. “Hmmm…”

Kyungwon finally thought that she managed to stump Minkyung and she could resume with her task on hand.

Unfortunately, Minkyung broke the silence within the next 5 minutes.

“Let’s travel!”

 

 

 

A/N: Thank you for all the comments, subscription and views! Hope it has not been disappointing for you so far :/ This update is a relatively short chapter as I felt that the flow for the next part might be better with a shorter chapter before it.

Do let me know if the formatting isnt aligned/runs, because it looks fine on my laptop haha. Or feel free to write comments and feedback before I become as "unmotivated as Minkyung" lol. 

Have you watched Channel :P yet? The animal onesies are too cute :D