lovesick

  “Chani it’s been forever!” Youngjae squealed at the counter and Chanhee was taken aback at Yoo Youngjae coming up to him and talking to him, apparently it surprised everyone else too.

 

  Zuho came back from break and allowed Chanhee to take his own. The boy used his break to talk to Youngjae, whom he had taken his order for quickly when he had squealed his name.

 

  “Youngjae is it really you?” Chanhee asked as he studied Youngjae’s features, they hadn’t changed a bit. He still had the same baby face and thick lips he had when he was 12. Youngjae, one of his childhood best friends was sitting in front of him after years of not contacting him. 

 

  “It is Chani! I can’t believe you’re here, you must be doing so well in school to be here! I’m so proud of you, oh my god have you talked to little bro yet?” Youngjae rambled excitedly as he pinched Chanhee’s cheeks, “You just missed him too! I’ll be upset if he didn’t talk to you-“

 

  “Wait.. Pup is here?” Chanhee asked, heat rising up at his cheeks at the nickname he gave Youngjae’s younger brother who he had forgotten his name over the years. Youngjae raised an eyebrow,

 

  “Chani. You mean you didn’t see the angry little pup named Taeyang just leave the shop? Did he not remember you!?”

 

  Then Chanhee felt like screaming. Of course, Youngjae is Taeyang’s older brother, how could he forget that? Yet he never expected the sweet little Pup from when he was only 9, always being caring and helpful, couldn’t even hurt a single fly, had turned into a playboy that wouldn’t hesitate to get someone to beat another person up.  

 

  “No way,” Chanhee muttered, “He’s Pup?”

 

  “Taeyang sure changed a lot hasn’t he?” Youngjae laughed at Chanhee’s surprised face, “He isn’t the same little baby he was before. He’s a man.” 

 

  “Totally.” Chanhee breathed, he thought back at all the dark and angry looks he had on his face every time he was near Chanhee, “What happened to him?”

 

  “Well, you know that whole story of Taeyang’s bitterness?”

 

  “Don’t tell me I’m..” The brunette rubbed his temples, Youngjae half smiled as he took a sip of his vanilla latte,

 

  “You’re that boy that broke his heart.”

 

  Chanhee couldn’t believe it. He was the one who hurt Taeyang? He was Pup? His longtime best friend who he had named after puppies because hell he looked exactly like one but now he looks almost like an untrained pitbull waiting to eat him up. Another thing that confused Chanhee was; Taeyang was in love with him?

 

  “You mean you didn’t know Taeyang, like, totally adored you? Dude he’d pick flowers for you, make flower crowns and constantly ask you to marry him when you guys were 10!” Youngjae looked at Chanhee with sadness in his eyes, it seems Chanhee had completely forgotten his childhood with Taeyang. Taeyang would be hurt if he ever found out Chanhee was already in his reach, his chance being ready so he could fall for him once again. But Taeyang couldn’t even recognize Chanhee either.

 

  “Ah but.. He did say you shared similar eyes with yourself as a child.” Youngjae remembered, Taeyang did see some connections but failed to see it was Chani from his childhood. 

 

  Chanhee took all of this in rather slowly,

 

  “I really.. Couldn’t recognize him.. I guess I don’t remember everything because I’ve been so overwhelmed with family, college and work..” 

 

  Youngjae studied Chanhee, he was no longer the little boy who held the happiest expressions and hold his and Taeyang’s hand all carefree, he really was older now with more responsibility. But it really annoyed Youngjae how Taeyang and Chanhee couldn’t recognize each other and they used to be the best of friends.

 

  A questioned popped in Youngjae’s head. Did Chanhee even love Taeyang back then? Rationally he probably didn’t even know what love for someone that wasn’t family felt like. He wouldn’t know or recognize the feeling even now since he had too much on his mind for romance. Taeyang would have been thrilled to have the younger in his life again and Youngjae wanted to help Chanhee reconcile with him.

 

  “Are you and Taeyang even talking?” Youngjae asked and Chanhee let out a snort,

 

  “No.. But he’s my dorm roommate, he acts like he hates me.” 

 

  “Maybe because he’s trying to figure out who you are,” Youngjae suggested, knowing his brother he was having a hard time trying to recognize where he knew Chanhee from, his features were so familiar. His nose was still long, eyes big and bright but just a distinct memory in his brother’s eyes.

 

  “Chani?” Youngjae said, Chanhee looked up at him with pursed lips. Youngjae half-smiled, patting the younger’s hand,

 

  “Hm?”

 

  “I think you should take it slow, let Taeyang figure it out himself. It probably won’t take him long. Just.. Try to befriend him,” Youngjae’s fingers curled around Chanhee’s hand, “He’s pretty lonely.”

 

  Youngjae stopped, looking at Chanhee, his lips curling into a full smile now, “Just want my bro to be happy again.”

 

  “Chanhee your break’s over!

 

  The brunette looked up at Zuho who nodded his head over to the counter where he stood sweeping the floor. Chanhee could only slowly nod, his eyes looking towards Youngjae patting his hand once again and pulling away. He sat up, grabbing his things before ruffling Chanhee’s hair (though unaware of his own actions, Chanhee whined in protest).

 

  “I’ll see you around Chani.”

 

  “.. See you Jae.” 

 

— 

 

  expect more updates soon!