First Name

The Stories They Tell

“Hey, Ravi?” Jaehwan called from Wonshik’s bed, where he had curled himself into the duvet.

“Yeah?” Wonshik asked from his chair at his desk. He was working on editing something he and Taekwoon had started working on. They had met up three more times since the day Taekwoon knocked on his door. Surprisingly, they got along quite well.

“When are you going to the club again?”

Wonshik looked over at him and felt his throat constrict. Jaehwan was wrapped up in the duvet, his eyes closed, hair, now dyed black, splaying out on Wonshik’s bed. It was a sight to behold.

When Wonshik had run into Jaehwan at the store in town again, he hadn’t expected Jaehwan to end up following him back home. Neither of them had anything to do for the rest of the day so rather than sending him away, Wonshik invited him in. Now, here they were. Jaehwan had stepped in and as soon as Wonshik told him he could sit anywhere, Jaehwan practically leapt onto Wonshik’s bed.

“What are you smiling about?” Jaehwan asked, cracking an eye open. Wonshik hadn’t been paying enough attention to realize he’d been caught staring.

“I didn’t know I was.” He replied, a hint of playfulness in his voice.

It almost looked like Jaehwan’s eyes sparkled.

“Like what you see that much, Ravi?” Jaehwan teased back as he sat up slowly.

“Maybe I do. Maybe I don’t.” Wonshik didn’t know where this confidence was coming from but he felt his heart pick up slightly as Jaehwan drew closer to the edge of the bed.

“Mmm, you didn’t answer my question though.” Jaehwan leaned over the edge of the bed, face only about a foot from Wonshik’s.

“What question?” Wonshik teased again.

Jaehwan let out a breathless laugh, his eyes hooded as he watched Wonshik’s face.

“I said, when are you going to the club again?” he repeated as he lifted a finger to poke Wonshik’s nose before backing away and laying back on the bed.

Wonshik’s smile didn’t leave his face as he replied.

“I don’t know. It wasn’t really my idea to go there in the first place.”

“Not your crowd, huh?”

“No. Not usually anyway.” Wonshik said, turning back towards his computer.

They stayed quiet for a minute before Wonshik heard a rustling to his left as Jaehwan moved to sit on the edge of the bed. He placed his elbow on Wonshik’s desk and laid his head on his hand.

“You should come this weekend.”

“I don’t know. I was going to meet Taekwoon to work on this song and I have a paper due on Monday.”

“You’ve been hanging out with Taekwoon a lot lately.”

Wonshik hummed in agreement.

“He’s a cool guy. We don’t have ton in common but we both enjoy music, among a few other things.”

“Does Hakyeon know?” Jaehwan questioned.

“Does he know what?”

“That you’re hanging out with his boyfriend.”

Wonshik laughed and glanced over at Jaehwan.

“No. He doesn’t. Hakyeon doesn’t want to talk about him and Taekwoon is still too shy to approach him.”

Jaehwan huffed as he laughed.

“ being in love.”

“I guess it does.” Wonshik said as he looked back at his computer.

Jaehwan watched him for a few minutes. Switching between watching the computer as he typed away and watching his face as he was flooded with new ideas.

“Have you ever been in love, Wonshik?” Jaehwan whispered.

Wonshik’s fingers stopped typing and his head snapped up to look at Jaehwan. He was watching the computer, not looking at Wonshik. He was thrown off by the use of his real name but it wasn’t unpleasant. Not at all. In fact, Wonshik loved it. He wanted to hear it again.

“What did you call me?” He asked, eyes wide as he anticipated Jaehwan’s voice speaking his name again.

Jaehwan looked at him and laughed at his comical expression.

“Wonshik.” It almost sounded like a purr. Wonshik felt his face begin to heat.

When Wonshik gaped at him, Jaehwan laughed again.

“Are you going to act like this every time I ask you a question?”

“I…what?” Wonshik shook his head.

“I asked if you’ve ever been in love.”

Wonshik didn’t think so. He’d dated a couple girls in high school, shown interest in a guy here and there. He had been talking to this guy named Taemin last semester, but that hadn’t ended well when Wonshik came across Taemin in the lap of someone he vaguely recognized from a class he’d had long ago. Needless to say, they didn’t talk much after that. Wonshik being too embarrassed and Taemin having decided to date the guy that had had his tongue down his throat.

So, no. Wonshik had never actually been in love.

“No,” he said. “No I haven’t.”

“Haven’t found the right person?” Jaehwan question.

“I guess not.” Wonshik said as he turned his chair towards Jaehwan, his own interest now piqued.

“Have you?”

“Been in love? Ha! Yeah, you could say that.” The bitterness in Jaehwan’s voice told him to not ask about it. Curiosity aside, it wasn’t his business to begin with. He decided to not push.

“I see,” Wonshik murmured.

“Yeah,” Jaehwan said, equally quiet.

More silence filled the room as they chose to stare at whatever held their attention long enough to gather their thoughts, until Wonshik decided to speak.

“I can go to the club this weekend.” He looked up to meet Jaehwan’s gaze. He was smiling at him, but it didn’t reach those molten eyes.

“Wonderful!” he cheered in mock celebration. Wonshik smiled back at him, deciding his paper could wait.

 


So look, here's the deal.

I've been away because of some health issues and I already had this much typed out before I went on my mini hiatus. It was meant for a future update anyway but it fit into the current timeline enough that I could go ahead and post it. Kind of a treat before I make any actual comeback.

I'm going to edit this at some point. I only read through it one time just so I could get it up here. (And AO3 if you didn't know it's posted there as well.)

I might start working on the next chapter soon. I don't know yet. It depends how I feel and most days, I don't even feel good enough to get out of bed so we'll see what happens.

I hope you can enjoy this even though my notes here are just as long as the actual chapter lol

Tell me what you think, you guys know I love comments.

Until next time.