Lightning

The Stories They Tell

Grocery shopping wasn’t necessarily a thing Wonshik liked, but he enjoyed the tranquility of a Friday night, browsing the aisles in near silence. There was something about the quiet, far off steps of other patrons and obligatory chatter at the check outs, that soothed him after a hectic week of classes and assignments.

“Cheerios, cheerios, cheerios.” He mumbled to himself as he searched the shelves for the cereal he had come to purchase. He wasn’t paying much attention to anyone else but he muttered an “excuse me” when he passed in front of someone.

“Cheerios, ah! Cheerios!” He exclaimed when he found them.

“Cheerio to you too.” Someone said beside him. He jumped at the sound of the voice but smiled when he realized who it was.

“We meet again.”

“That we do.” Jaehwan smiled in return.

“We have to stop meeting like this, Ravi. I’m starting to think you’re following me.”

“Wonshik.” He blurted. Jaehwan gave him a knowing look but still asked.

 “What?”

“My name. It’s Wonshik. Ravi is the name I produce under.” He glanced back at the shelves of cereal, avoiding Jaehwan’s eyes.

Jaehwan hummed.

“I think I’ll just call you Ravi. Is that okay?”

Wonshik nodded.

“Yeah, I guess that’s fine. I mean, telling you that name wasn’t a lie. I figured it would best that you know my real name though.” He blushed, feeling slightly embarrassed.

Jaehwan laughed and poked him in the shoulder, earning a grunt from Wonshik.

“You’re blushing again. Do I bother you that much, Ravi?” he teased. Wonshik sputtered.

“No! No, you don’t bother me. I just…I don’t make it a habit of talking to people. Hakyeon tells me I’m a scared child hidden behind a confident smile.” He explained as he rubbed at the back of his neck.

Jaehwan tilted his head and looked at him, almost calculating.

“I could see that.”

“You can?” Wonshik asked.

“Well yeah. You get rattled too easily. Your eyes give you away. That’s why you don’t make eye contact for very long.”

Wonshik felt exposed. He knew that he was good at hiding how he felt, Hakyeon knew how he was good at hiding how he felt. This was the third time Jaehwan had met him and he already could tell? Incredible.

Jaehwan laughed again, pulling Wonshik away from his internal crisis.

“Don’t worry about it. I can read people pretty well. I’m sure not everyone notices.” Jaehwan said as he lifted his hand to move a stray hair from his face.

Wonshik then noticed what Jaehwan was wearing. He was wearing a light blue t-shirt, the first time Wonshik had seen his arms. With them exposed, Wonshik took note of the ink that lined both, from his fingers, up to and under his sleeves.

“Can I ask you a question?” He asked without thinking.

“The answer depends on the question, but sure.”

“What do those tattoos mean?” he asked as he eyed one of Jaehwan’s arms. There was a feather that wound around his wrist that seemed to wrap its way up his forearm. A constellation that Wonshik didn't recognize, was mapped out across his elbow.

“You asked about some the other day too, didn’t you?”

“Ah, well, I did. I think they’re interesting. I don’t have any but I’ve thought about getting one.” He told him.

Jaehwan looked at his arm, as if thinking what to say next. He seemed decide on something and pointed at the underside of his forearm, next to the feather.

“See this one?”

It was a lightning bolt. Just the outline but distinguishable. Minimalistic, like the arrow on his index finger.

“I got this one when I was in Greece. I visited Olympia and saw the temple of Zeus. I got this while I was there.”

Wonshik was once again wide eyed in admiration.

“You’ve been to Greece too?” he asked.

“I’ve been all kinds of places. While I was in Greece I saw the Parthenon too. That was a grand experience. While there, I was asked to be a model for an artist. He painted me and hung it in a gallery.” Jaehwan smirked as he watched Wonshik gape.

“That’s so cool!” he cried.

“It is, isn’t it?” Jaehwan laughed.

“You really do travel a lot.”

“What? Did you not believe me?” Jaehwan quirked an eyebrow, crossing his arms across his chest in mock offense.

“No, I mean I believed you. It’s just crazy cool. Do all of your tattoos have something to do with your traveling?” He asked, eyes shining in excitement

Jaehwan hesitated a moment but hummed again.

“You could say that. They each tell a story.” He said as he held his arms out in front of him, observing them like he had seen them for the first time.

“Can you tell me more?” Wonshik asked and Jaehwan’s smile turned fond.

“I could do that. But not today. I have to get going. But it was nice seeing you again, Ravi.

Wonshik laughed.

“Yeah. I’m glad I got to see you again so soon.”

“See ya.” Jaehwan said as he made his way down the aisle, basket in hand.

Wonshik turned back towards the shelves and tried to remember what he had been doing before. When he couldn’t remember, he shrugged and headed off in the opposite direction.

--

“I saw Jaehwan again.” He told Hakyeon as he sprawled out on Hakyeon’s dorm room floor.

“Oh yeah? Where at?” Hakyeon asked as he typed something on his computer.

“The store. The one on Eighth Street.”

“I hate that place.” Hakyeon muttered, not really paying attention.

“I know. That’s why I didn’t ask you to come.”

“So, you like him, huh?” Hakyeon asked and Wonshik sat up straight.

“How could I like him? I don’t even know him!”

“You don’t have to know someone’s life story to develop a crush, stupid.”-

“Well I don’t. I’d like to think I would know someone before liking them.” Wonshik stared off at the wall.

Hakyeon chewed on his pen as he continued to click away on his computer.

“When are you going to meet him again?” he asked.

“I told you the other day he didn't want to give me his number right now. Who knows when I’ll see him again.” Wonshik laid back down on the floor, closing his eyes so the light from the lamp of the bedside table wouldn’t blind him.

“Seems kind of sketchy if you ask me.” Hakyeon offered.

“I didn’t ask you.” Wonshik shot back.

“Oh, defensive. You do like him.” Hakyeon said as he looked down at his friend on the floor.

“Shut up.” Wonshik yelled at him.

“When’s the wedding?” Hakyeon teased.

Wonshik sat up, snatched a pillow off the end of the bed, and hit Hakyeon with it. Hakyeon turned to glare at him.

“You could have hurt me!” Hakyeon shouted.

“That was the plan.” Wonshik hollered back.

Hakyeon rolled his eyes.

Before either of them could counter, a bang came from the wall next to Hakyeon’s bed.

“See what you’ve done? You got my neighbor angry at me.” Hakyeon stage whispered.

Me?” Wonshik retorted.

“Yes you.” Hakyeon hissed.

Another bang on the wall caused them both to shut up.


I didn't proofread, RIP