iv. awakened

the Good, the Bad, and the Dirty

Golden flames slithered on the ground, looking like they had a mind of their own.

 

          Seulgi found this absolutely terrifying; Wendy looked at it as an opportunity. How, she didn’t know.

 

          “I thought I asked you a question,” Irene boomed, the mere intensity of her voice enough for Seulgi to topple backwards.

 

          Wendy cracked her knuckles, her now-active-tail swishing back and forth behind her with anticipation. She jumped and dodged whatever it was she was dodging. “Was it 63 years ago? When she last went nuts like this?”

 

          “How should I know?!”

 

          “Just thinking out loud, Seulgi.” Wendy gave her a thumbs up, as if there wasn’t a huge ominous cloud hovering above their heads

          Thunder gave them a welcoming greeting. But then the clouds moved away, being into what looked like—Irene?

 

          There the archangel was, in her most glorious form—wings outstretched and golden eyes bright—holding a longsword whilst there was a hurricane around her.

 

          No, Irene was the hurricane.

 

          Cows and houses appeared between the winds. Crops soared out. A couple of cars as well.

 

          “What’s with the cows, feathers?” Wendy called out, narrowly missing one that was thrown at her.

 

          “I saw it in the ‘Wizard of Oz’…” Irene stopped for a moment to answer, her eyes dimming to their previous vibrancy before burning passionately again. The cyclone went on, becoming stronger and closer and Seulgi began running to the opposite side.

         

          But the fire was there and she couldn’t do anything. When she came too close, the bright yellow flames grew bigger. Seulgi felt the hairs on her arms singe while the air around her became so thin that it became harder for her to breathe.

 

          So she went back and grabbed Wendy’s tail (to which brought out a yelp). “We have to do something!”

 

          “Aww, no .”

 

          “Come on, tell me what to do.”

 

          The demon king looked at her. “Bow down in front of me, say out loud that you’re my commander and that you surrender to the darkness.”

 

          Seulgi huffed incredulously, “Now is not the time to joke around, Wendy.”

 

          Wendy grabbed her by the hem of her shirt. “I’m absolutely serious. Now do it so you won’t die.” She let Seulgi go.

 

          Her life before had never been thrown to an experience such as this. Demons, nightmares that have come to life, angels, hell—never in her wildest dream did she thought that this would happen to her. And as she gazed deep into Wendy’s crimson eyes, she reminded herself that no matter what had occurred before, she was this girl’s commander now. She nodded grimly.

 

          She went down on her knees. “I, Kang Seulgi, am the commander of the King of Hell.”

 

          Smoke rose up from the cuts on her skin.

 

          Commander of Hell. Second only to the king.

 

          “And I surrender to the darkness.”

 

          Wendy grinned at her before the rest of the smoke went into her nose and mouth. She choked, gasping for breath as her fingers clawed the ground. Her vision became blurry, reds and blacks mixing together around Wendy’s face.

 

          “Good job, commander,” Wendy went close, and Seulgi wasn’t sure where her eyes were or what color her horns were. Something hot and electric trickled down her lips. “Drink. And become my guard.”

 

          She did as what was told. She swallowed the strange liquid before screaming.

 

          “What have you done to her?” Irene gasped, pointing her might sword on Wendy’s throat.

 

          “Nothing that is of your business, Irene.” Wendy looked at the angel through her lashes, her face showing nothing of what her thoughts were about.

 

          “It is my business, devil king, to deal with your troublesome . So turn her back before I cut your throat,” Irene hissed with dangerous precision.

 

          Wendy looked at Seulgi, whose voice had disappeared in exchange of the weird symbols now inked on her skin. The king escaped the angel’s blade by turning into smoke, materializing above Seulgi. “That’s right, Seulgi. I wanted to Awaken you when we’re back in Hell but feathers just had to pick this moment to go absolutely bonkers. So forgive me. Because it’s gonna hurt like later.”

 

          And then she kissed Seulgi’s lips.

 

          She was thus Awakened.

 

          Seulgi, Commander of Hell. Child of the Shadows. Deathbringer.

 

          Even though Seulgi’s head was as light as a feather and her whole body was numb, she knew in her self that she was floating. That the smoke became the black marks and that Wendy and Irene were battling beneath her.

 

          Then she fell down like a star from the sky.

 

          When she opened her eyes again, she became dimly aware of their slit pupils and bright yellow color. Of her newfound strength and power coursing through her veins the way the swirls on her skin did.

 

          The commander stood up and roared.

 

          Irene and Wendy stopped their clash and looked at her.

 

          “Devil king, explain!” Irene slashed again with a growl.

 

          “I just continued what was stopped before. She’s Awakened now and I think you’re gonna have to deal with her first, miss archangel.” Wendy gave her a lopsided crack of a smile before once again disappearing.

 

          Irene whirled around to find Seulgi in front of her. The angel held her breath and raised her sword in defense before being blown away from the latter’s punch.

 

          “Granny,” Seulgi growled.

 

          “You dare,” Irene stood up, the ends of her silver hair rising. Another sword appeared in her free hand.

 

          Wendy patted Seulgi’s shoulder. “Okay, Seulgi, this is your first order. Get her.”

 

          Seulgi bowed her head. “Will do.”

 

         

 

 

 

Approximately 14 hours later, Irene was finally bound and gagged by Seulgi and Wendy.

 

          Wendy clicked her tongue before hitting the back of Irene’s head with enough force to cause an earthquake. But it seemed that the action was enough to revert the angel back.

 

          She looked back and forth between the two demons, struggling to break free.

 

          “First of all, feathers, how much do you remember?”      

 

          “Bleh—not much. Everything’s still blurry.” Irene rubbed her jaw and wrists. “Oh no did I do that again?”

 

          “Yes, you did, idiot,” Wendy sighed, squeezing the bridge of her nose.

 

          Irene sighed as well, before flinching and looking at Seulgi. “Seulgi! What happe—oh no did Wendy—yah!”

 

          The culprit shrugged and dodged a punch from the angel with a snicker. “It was gonna happen, anyway. So I wanted to know how she would fight. And, well, since you already went nuts, why not?”

 

          Irene ignored her and held Seulgi’s arm. “Seul… are you okay? Does anything hurt?”

 

          Seulgi smiled at her. “Not really. But you did stab my stomach really good twice or thrice. It hurts but I can deal with it.”

 

          Then Seulgi coughed enough blood to cause anemia. Her knees surrendered to the fatigue and she was unconscious before she was caught.

 

 


 

ta-da once again not proofread

weeeee i at this so bad ohmygod im so sorry

let's all support rv! MAKE THE BABIES HAPPY YO

#RedFlavor

 

Bonus:

The moment Wendy's lips connected with Seulgi's, Irene popped a vein. Or two. Or three.