돌 죽음의 신 (Kyulkyung • Nayoung)

Idol [HIATUS]

===

To walk. All I could do was to walk. The streets were barren, almost abandoned. The birds were flying around as the trees bare their leaves of fall. I stopped for a second, holding my precious hat. I crossed the streets peacefully but that all changed because of an impact.

The car's parts flew over, leaving a large dent. The owner was taken aback as he got out, letting out expletives of anger.

"You..." I spoke and he froze. "...you just hit a boar."

He was dazed. I sighed and put on my hat and teleported to a woman witnessing the situation.

She was in fear, her hands shaking of seeing herself at the back of the car trunk, all lifeless. I approached her and spoke, holding a card. "Jang Sojin, 21 years old. Born on November 21, 1996. Died at 10:16 am on March 8, 2018. Causes of death are suffocation and a concussion."

She looked at me dazed. I sighed and asked. "It's you, right?"

+++

The rings of the metal mobiles filled the area as I came face to face with her, all the while I had a glass of tea on my hands, giving it to her. "Drink this. It'll wipe off your memories."

"What if I don't drink this?" Sojin asked. "What will happen?"

"You won't regret anything if otherwise. I hope you won't regret anything for this life."

I watched her drink it and watched her walk out the door, bowing at me as a sign of thanks. I got her cup and placed it beyond a vacant shelf, now snuggled up together with the endless number of cups before it.

You're wearing such a stupid hat.

I looked up towards the window, holding my hat with a serious face. The said watcher smirked in a godly manner and went on.

"Idiot." I mumbled. "Not you again..."

••••••••••

It was another boring day at the restaurant. No orders, no customers, no nothing. I sighed and yawned, all while I ate chips and took care of my nails.

"Excuse me..."

I looked and fixed my hair in a sultry manner. I was bemused to see a college student within these walls of a barren Chinese restaurant. Nonetheless, I had to maintain good hospitality with a bit of finesse. "Welcome."

She was still silent. I decided to ask. "Want a take-out of dim sum?"

"Ah...sorry. I'm not a customer." She answered. "I saw the sign that you're hiring. Is the owner around?"

"Yes. Right here." I pointed at myself then at her. "College, I presume..."

She nodded. What a of luck for me. Anyways, I let her sit down on the adjacent seat and she was still flustered, thinking that I was a customer because I was too pretty. 

"Ah...yes...Customers are pretty." I said. "But it's been so long since I've seen one."

She began to talk. From her plead of letting herself work for me to her backstory, I heard all. Nonetheless, I let out a mumble. "Radish..."

"Pardon?" She asked.

"I don't know when was the last time a customer asked for one." I said and ate more chips and gave her some. "Here."

She accepts it and I decided to ask more. "Are you poor? Are you at school or are you a drop-out?"

"I guess. And I'm still at school." She answered.

"Good. Do you have any plans?" I asked.

"No." She answered sadly.

"Then today is day one." I said. "You're hired."

She was very happy. I couldn't help but smile too.

+++

"It's raining. It's nice." I mumbled.

"Well, it's not, manager-nim." My worker said. "With that, customers won't come."

"There's no customers even if there's no rain." I spoke. "We're not getting customers anyway so it's nicer to have the rain." 

I checked my watch and decided to leave for my errand. My worker asked and I said. "That's off boundaries, Chungha."

Yeah. My worker's name was named Kim Chungha. "Now slack off. That's an order."

"Yes, manager-nim." Chungha bowed.

"Please, Chungha." I spoke as I got an umbrella. "Call me Kyulkyung-nim."

+++

I got myself to a fortune teller, a close friend of our years working together as mentors before. Too bad we're on our separate lives now. "Okay, Sungso. Lay them all out."

Sungso nodded and spoke of myself. She said I was a charmer but was lustful, also lonely without any relatives. I sighed. She was right about it.

"You are like a Chinese sailboat within an open sea." She commented.

"Can I at least hope for that sailboat wherein I'm there with someone?" I asked.

"Well you can...and it's a woman." She said and I focused. "Watch out for a woman with a pitch-black hat with a red aura by her shoulder." 

"I hope that woman is good-looking." I grinned, all dreamy just thinking about it.

+++

I ended a call with Sungso as she wondered of my choice of words. She even said that my Chinese was getting a bit sloppy. "Aish, I had to beat the of Chungha's aunt for coming here. That had been inconsiderate with my worker."

Wow. Such parental material.

I sighed and hung up. I chilled by the Han River, just by the bridge. I walked around and saw a stall where there was this red-haired woman all in white, selling jewelry. 

"Take a pick, child." She said in her dynamic voice.

I nodded and looked around. I got my eyes set on a Jade ring. I wowed and noticed another hand attempting to grab it. I grabbed it faster and asked. "Miss, how much it this?"

I got a gaze at my competitor and felt my world stop. 

It was a woman in black and she had her hair tied up. I could say that she was good-looking but I grew confused when she looked at me, agape slightly as her tears fell.

"Hey, I picked this first. Are you crying?" I asked, almost worried.

She wiped it off and was shocked. Internally, I thought she looked so cute. 

"Do you want the ring?" I asked and she nodded. "Well, this isn't for free. You give me your number and I'll give you this."

"I don't have a phone..." She mumbled. 

"You don't have a phone?" I asked, shocked. "Are you poor?"

"I don't need a phone." She mumbled again.

"You just don't want me to have your number." I defended and got the ring. "Well, this is mine now."

"Wait." She spoke and I stopped. "Give me your number. Write your number and place the ring on top."

I was shocked. Somehow, I got the idea and agreed. But before that, I reached out a hand. "That's negotiable. But you have to know my name first." I flipped my hair with the other hand. "I'm Joo Kyulkyung."

••••••••••

I could gulp of seeing the most beautiful woman I had laid eyes on. I watched her lend a hand and say her name. I hesitated to shake back as I put my hand back on my sleeve and ask her. "Zhou?"

She was shocked and instead, pointed at me. "Or that...you can call me that. It's actually my Chinese surname..."

I could only look at her, even if someone was already asking...

Credit card or cash? Who will pay for the ring? It won't matter who will pay...because both of you will pay the price of it...

"I'll do it." I mumbled and got some cash. "How much is it again?"

"By the way, do you have a pen?" She asked.

"You don't need to write." I said as I handled the transaction. "Just say it."

"For a stoned woman, you're funny." She said as she got some paper and wrote it down. "You're good at memorizing numbers? How about I seal a kiss so that you won't forget?"

She pecked the side of the paper and gave it to me, saying goodbye. I gulped and looked at the number and felt oddly wonderful.

The Almighty would say that every deity has a destined human, even grim reapers.

Is she the one?

+++

I got the paper in my hand, all the while I ate soup. The Fallen Angel was in front of me as I ate. 

"I heard God Sejeong found her destined human. What do you think of it?"

"Meh." I mumbled, my conscience growing cold, freezing the plate.

"Yah! That's Sejeong's fine china. She got if from Louis..." I made her stop as the plate gone colder. "...the Great himself..."

"Fallen Angel Jung Chaeyeon." I called.

"Yeah?" She asked and I still looked grim. "Ah, I won't tell on you of it to Sejeong. Just don scare the out of me. I'm a new deity for the Almighty's sake."

"Whatever." I mumbled.

"Hey, Stoney?" She asked again. "What about that girl that you spoke about, the one that made you cry before? Maybe it's not the first time you have seen her. If you're sulking too much now then it would mean something. You might not remember anything but she might remember something."

"You think? She doesn't look it. She's too carefree. And her hair..." I mumbled as I flipped my ponytail off. "...she flipped it like that. And her lips..."

"What about her lips?" She asked.

I didn't answer. She kept on asking and I got mad, breaking Sejeong's fine china as I froze it harder. She runs off, her disoriented wings flapping around. I sighed and checked the paper again.

A pound makes its way to my chest and I started to see red streaks on my shoulder. 

What have I gotten myself into?

+++

I was done with another death note by the hospital and I got to meet the fresh set of reapers. I saw them line up and they bowed.

"Hello, Madam! I'm the Sun Grim Reaper, Kim Yewon of Batch 7." One spoke.

"Hello, Madam! I'm the Devil Grim Reaper, Park Siyeon of Batch 9." Another one spoke.

"Alright. Nice to meet you all. Now take your seats." I said.

They bowed again and said that they'll work hard. They sat down again and were obedient grim reapers. Another grim reaper chuckled and patted their heads. "Aigoo...such fresh ones. They're just like us on our fresh days before."

"Oppa Grim Reaper, please. Be professional." I spoke.

"Just call me Kyungwon. I have a name, Nayoung." She said.

Another grim reaper visited and the fresh ones bowed. She had a grin for a grim reaper. "Hey, Nayoung, Kyungwon."

I just waved and Kyungwon chuckled again. "If it isn't the Shiba Grim Reaper, Jung Eunwoo?"

"Yah! Why haven't you checked your work mail of the missing souls?" Eunwoo batted at me. "If it goes on like this, another grim reaper will take charge of it."

"Alright. I'll settle the matter." I mumbled.

Eunwoo checked her watch and went ahead for her duty. Two grim reapers came inside and most of them ogled, even I reacted.

"Hello, Madams. I'm Death Grim Reaper Solhee from Batch 10. Nice to meet you all." She spoke.

"She's the youngest fresh grim reaper so far." A pretty Grim Reaper spoke. "Hello, freshies. I'm the Clean Grim Reaper Kim Minkyung from Batch 2."

"Nice to meet you." I spoke to Solhee.

"I need to orient this one for her first death note. Duty calls." Minkyung waved as Solhee bowed.

The two went ahead. For the Oppa and the Devil, they reacted on how pretty and cute she was. I had a gaze on the patient and a doctor was doing CPR.

"Duty calls again." I mumbled.

"See ya on the welcoming party, Stone." Kyungwon spoke.

I nodded, put on my hat and teleported towards a room. The doctor kept on working but I had to get to idea on her head. "Miss Liu Xiening."

She looked at me and told me that she was busy with the patient. I kept on speaking. "You're 21 years old. You died on March 10, 2018, at 6:37 pm. Cause of death is overworking."

"Did I...die?" She asked.

She saw her own lifeless body skidded towards the morgue as her fellow doctors cried for her to wake up. She couldn't believe what had happened. 

"Thanks to your first aid, the patient made it." I said.

She looked to her left and sighed. "I'm glad."

"Come with me." I spoke.

"Okay." She nodded.

••••••••••

I could scold Chungha for sleeping here but it was understandable of her situation. And she can't just go back to her selfish aunt.

"You can stay here at least. And here's you pay. I'll give it weekly to make sure you always get your pay. Go to a public bathroom too and get a snack."

"Yes, Kyulkyung-nim." She nodded.

"Do roast a squid for me." I said and she obeyed.

I got to my seat and sighed, checking my phone as I gawk at it for the Almighty knows how long. With the seconds ticking by, I grew anxious. I drank some juice to calm my nerves. 

But sometimes, it cannot be contained. I slammed my bottle and ranted, just in time for Chungha to finish roasting. "Kyulkyung-nim, what's wrong?"

"That stony jerk! I should just murder her!" I hissed.

"Tell me, Chungha. Is my face having a bad season?" I started. "I had calculated the possibilities. It would never take so long to call me. Why hasn't she called me?"

"Is that the ring woman?" She asked.

"Mhm. I can't calm down now! She's the prettiest woman I've ever seen! I even tried harder to look good." I batted then sighed. "Why hasn't she called me?" I still saw Chungha holding the plate. "Aigoo, just place it here."

She obeyed and got back to work. I ate some squid and gazed at my left hand, especially towards the ring finger. "Aish...how could I just give it to her? It was supposed to be mine..."

+++

I was at the mall, letting another friend who works there test some makeup on me.

"Aigoo, you look ravishing as ever, Kyulkyung." She said.

"That's is the past, Xuanyi. Now I've gone old." I mumbled.

"What are you saying? I'm two years older. You're still young and looking good. Don't worry." 

A customer asked for the same shade and helped her settle the transaction. She cheered and I just smiled. "I sold you one."

"Thanks." She said. "What's with the get-up? Are you going somewhere? Got a date?"

"I'm making myself pretty and waiting for a call in order to get one. But she won't call? Why is that?" I spoke.

"Playing hard to get." Xuanyi answered.

I was shocked. Was I really trying hard to get her?

+++

Coincidence can sure play a trick on you. As I was walking around by thr bridge close to the Han River, I was shocked to see her. She was wearing casual clothes, still monochromatic but she looked dashing. I huffed and got closer to her.

"Why haven't you called me? I waited, you know..." I spoke directly.

She inhaled and spoke. "I'll call you right now."

"Where are you going? To check on a payphone?" I spoke as I stopped her. 

"I'm going home. That's where the phone is. I'll call you." She answered.

I could flip out of her stupidity. It was making me insane. But nonetheless, I wanted to see her and get to know her. "We just met. How about a coffee instead of a call? There are cafés everywhere and I'm free."

"Alright." She nodded. 

Yes. I just scored me a date.

••••••••••

We got to a near café and I was thankful that I brought my credit card. I paid for our orders. I got five iced Americanos and she got a cup of cappuccino and some strawberry cake. We got to a table as I started to drink and she ate lightly.

It was so silent. I distracted myself by looking down and sipping. I think I was too flustered to meet her. Although a part of me was happy to see her, I couldn't muster any courage to talk to her so I continued to drink.

"Excuse me?" I heard her voice and a tap so I paid attention. "Are we just going to drink coffee until the sunset?"

I jolt up and started to talk. "Ah...the day is too short, huh?"

"No, it's not. You've been sitting like that for an hour. You even finished four Americanos." She batted. "Shouldn't we do the usual greetings?"

I nodded and bowed lightly. "Hello. How have you been?"

What am I doing? Am I even an adult? I had the mind of a deer caught up in the headlights. With the consideration of being shy in the first meeting, I decided to talk my way through.

"I've been fine. How about you? How is my ring? Don't have a cellphone yet?" She said back.

"I'm fine too as well as your ring. And I still don't have a cellphone." She answered like in a quiz bowl.

I could be damned but she was too cute and pretty. I sighed and wondered something that it needs to be spoken out when she said something again. "Be honest with me. You don't know my name, right?"

"It's Zhou." I answered.

"That's my last name in Chinese. What about my Korean name?" She asked. 

"Hmmm...it's Gyugyong." I smiled.

"It's Kyulkyung, not Gyugyong." She batted.

She stopped. In my case, I let out a grin. It was the very first time that I grinned. And seeing her laugh, it made me at ease in an unexplainable way. 

"You're funny." She spoke. "Are you acting like that on purpose?" 

I didn't get it. I had gone silent at me and she stopped to ask. "Why are you staring at me like that?"

"I couldn't help it..." I spoke as I felt a thump. "...you look...beautiful when you smile..."

She had gone silent and I could see a little twitch by . Then again, she spoke. "Now that I think of it, I don't know your name. What's your name?"

A grim reaper never tells her given name...

Oh . 

I decided to leave but then, she caught up. She faced me and I was flustered.

"Yah! It's not like I asked for wealth and inheritance. I just wanted to know your name and then you'll just leave?! What the hell?!" She ranted.

"I'm sorry. I'm sensitive when it comes to my name." I reasoned. "I'm really sorry, Gyugong."

"I told you! It's Kyulkyung." She ranted again. "Are we parting now?"

"You said we'll just meet for coffee. And I already finished my five Americanos." I answered.

She sighed and walked away, waving a hand. I was rooted there and waved back.

+++

Sejeong and I gathered and had a drink and are boiled eggs. She shared some of her issues on her destined human. Maybe I have the same predicament. 

"Heard from the fallen angel that you got a special human." She spoke and drank.

"Yeah. She asked my name but I couldn't tell my reaper name. It's not even a real name and I don't even know my real name. She even asked me how I was doing when I'm not alive." I mumbled.

"Shame." She spoke. 

Three gushes of wind enter the place and we all sat down as if it was a conference. Waves of power were competing themselves and a passing butterfly calmed all of us down.

Get your deals settled with. I don't want to see my deities fight again. Aigoo...

"Is she even the Almighty Herself?" Sohye the PenSang asked. "She speaks so informally to us."

"Tell me about it." Yoodaeng the Space Alien spoke.

"What brings you all here?" I asked.

"The Almighty gave us presents." Chaeyeon the Fallen Angel spoke and scooted boxes towards each of us.

"Alright~~" Sohye cheered as she opened hers. "New phone."

I was the excited one that I opened the box and got the same thing. There was this red cover but I got rid of it and smiled. It was black, my favorite color.

"Chaeyeon, it seems our Stone Grim Reaper is too excited and it seems we got new phones and one of us hasn't seen one before. Please orient her of the device." Sejeong commented.

Chaeyeon said the details that it was a new smartphone. It can also store numbers and I even got one like the rest of us. There was one thing I needed to clarify so I raised a hand. "I saw on those TV dramas that people can see their faces."

"Oh my Almighty." Yoodaeng sighed. "Then you should've bought it 300 years ago!"

"Anyways, go to the play store. There are apps that you need to install." Chaeyeon said.

Sejeong, Yoojung, and I got up. Chaeyeon and Sohye stared at us.

"Oh my Lord Jesus, they don't know that it's in the device itself." Sohye facepalmed.

"Yah! Sit back down, you especially!" Chaeyeon pointed at me.

"What? We should go to the app store, right?" I asked.

"Just obey and sit down." Sohye spoke and everyone sat down.

+++

With Sohye and Chaeyeon teaching me, I learned the basics of using a phone. After settling my work within the Reapers Society, I decided to grab the little paper with the number and inputted it.

It was a struggle to input it and was, even more, struggling to come up with a name. I typed 'Gyugyong' and 'No' and I could throw it out of the window.

No...for Zhou...

I typed 'Kyulkyung not Gyugyong' and saved the number. I cheered like a little kid and now, I had my mind torn two ways.

Why am I like this? Why am I giddy for a girl like her? Why am I seeing blurs of events and why is there a red streak that grew more visible?

I ignored those things. Somehow, I wanted to fill up my mind with Kyulkyung...

••••••••••

I would watch Chungha work as she studied that I decided to call her to rest and eat with me. We shared a sandwich and ate together.

"You're so admirable, Kyulkyung-nim." Chungha said.

"Really?" I asked. "And you even fire yourself up with exams, hm?"

"Yeah... Kyulkyung-nim." She addressed and I asked. "Do you think it's fine to marry after college?"

"Superficial factors don't matter. Emotional aspects do. Man or woman?" I asked.

"Woman." She answered.

"Does she provide your needs? Is she nice? Does she hurt you?" I asked again.

"Yes. Maybe. No." She answered.

"You like each other?" I asked again and she shook her head. "Then why are you getting married if niether of you like each other?"

"I wonder as well." Chungha replied. "Omo-I need to go now, Kyulkyung-nim."

I nodded and bid goodbye. I continued to watch TV and eat chips when the unexpected happened.

I got a call.

A part of me was nervous. My hands were even fidgety but I grabbed my phone to answer it. “Hello?”

There was nothing. I thought it was one of those prank calls that I decided to hang up.

Hello?

My eyes dilated with the familiar voice that I dropped my chip on the bowl. “So you do know how to call people. For a moment, I thought your fingers were broken.”

I do now since I learned how to…and my fingers aren’t broken. Thank you for the concern.

“So you still have my number.” I spoke again.

Yes. Your number is fine.

I waited for her to call and I finally got it. But then, there was a long pause. At the back of my head, it felt like talking to a mute. “Aren’t you supposed to say something?”

Like what?

“Morning. Afternoon. Evening. When are you free?” I spoke and she copied them like a first grader. “Well, I prefer morning meetups but less in the evening.”

Okay. Let’s meet tomorrow morning at the same café. I’ll bring a friend.

“Double date, hm? Okay.” I nodded. “See you then.”

See you then.

I hung up and put my phone down. A smile plasters its way onto my face and I got excited.

I was finally going on a date.

••••••••••

I am a deity, a Grim Reaper at that. But here I am outside my home as a fellow Grim Reaper greeted me with her vehicle.

“Heol. Don’t tell me you’re going to teleport there. Be natural, Stone.” She said and opened the door.

“Minute Grim Reaper Kang Yebin.” I called.

“Watch it. Now hop in.” She hissed.

I nodded and got in, driving towards the café.

+++

We got to the café minutes after and as expected, Kyulkyung brought a friend. It was almost a double date.

Why bring Yebin? She’s a Grim Reaper with a natural vibe of talking to anyone and anything. Knowing I wasn’t much of a talker, I needed her to back me up.

“Hey, may I ask what your friend does for a living?” Kyulkyung asked me.

“Well, I’m more of her acquaintance than a friend and in fact, I’m a corporate heir.” Yebin said as she pulls out an old trick. “I’m Rena Park. Nice to meet you.”

“I see. Nice to meet you.” Her friend, Sungso, said.

“How about you? What do you do?” She asked me again.

I could cuss at myself for not being ready with the questions. Yebin was nudging me to answer as the girls waited.

“You don’t have a job?” She asked.

“Not that I don’t. I actually work in a service industry. Explaining the details and nature cannot be done due to confidentiality. Please do understand.” I said and bowed.

“Okay. So do you have a name now?” She asked.

I nodded and plastered a smile. “Yes. My name is Jinah Lim. Lim. Jin. Ah.” I spoke.

I could hear Sungso whisper to Kyulkyung, that I worked as a hostess with a struggle of showing emotion. I was triggered at the back of my mind yet Kyulkyung noticed it and stopped Sungso from saying anything more. For Yebin, she chuckled. I gave her a glare and she behaved.

“Do you have a card? Give me one. I’ll check out the place,” said Kyulkyung.

Not again with the preparations. Seriously, seeing Kyulkyung lending her hand for it was getting my anxiety out. “Usually, all things must be prepared. If you would’ve told me in advance, I-“

“Heol. Rena here isn’t joking.” Sungso spoke as she checked her phone. “She really is a corporate heir!”

Seeing Yebin’s look, no wonder she lost the bob cut and the dorky expression. She was classier and was getting the attention of the girls. Seeing Kyulkyung smiling towards her just because of her cool name made me jealous as hell.

Sungso commented of the darkness and Yebin had the look of fear. I look at her in the eye. She would see the red aura glowing. “Tell them that you need to go.”

“I have to go.” Yebin spoke and went off.

“You too.” I glared at Sungso.

“I have to go.” She spoke and went off too.

I looked at Kyulkyung this time, telling her to forget everything. At the snap of my hand, everything went normal. I exhaled and regained composure.

“Where did they go?” Kyulkyung asked.

“They said they were busy.” I answered casually.

“Both of them?” Kyulkyung questioned again. “Sungso isn’t like that at all.”

“By the way…” I reached into my pocket and got the jade ring. “…I give this to you.”

“It’s fine.” Kyulkyung insisted.

“But you grabbed it first.” I said.

“But you paid for it, Jinah.” She said back.

“It looks better on you, Kyulkyung.” I spoke.

She smiled and I was awestruck. She was glad that I remembered her name that she accepted the ring. “Since I gave the ring, will you give me the phone number?”

“It’s the one I used to call yesterday-“

“No. The number of your friend.” Kyulkyung said. “I couldn’t get the business card since Sungso got it first. If she was really the corporate heir, then she is my lady.”

“Lady?” I was confused.

“Landlady. Rena Park is the corporate heir of Pristin Corp, the company which owns my Chinese restaurant. I need her number since I have a lot to talk about with her.” Kyulkyung explained.

I nodded and got my phone. I tried looking cool but I struggled with opening my phone. I saw her hand drawing closer and I fidgeted, moving away while protecting my phone.

“Did you just turn my offer for help?!” Kyulkyung was offended again.

I was flustered that I got my phone on the table and bowed in apology. She got my phone, asking for my pin in which I don’t have.

“You seem to not have a lot of things every time.” Kyulkyung commented and got to check my phone.

She was fiddling her fingers and I stole glances. She chuckled and spoke. “It seems you know the godly couple. Is this part of the service industry you mentioned? The only thing I heard is of a restaurant franchise, same as I’m running.”

“Well, the god I know is a cocky son of a with bad karma.” I answered.

She broke out laughing, saying I was strange. Somehow, she got the number and talked to me. I got my phone back and managed to talk to Kyulkyung as well.

I was a little giddy of this moment that I’ll thank that midget later.

+++

Sejeong and I had our talk again and had our mashups with our destined humans. It may have gone well for a while but the recent date at that same café turned into a bad leaf.

“What happened anyway?” She asked.

“She said I was strange and I was lacking.” I answered and drank. “How could I even be affected with such ? How could I even cry in front of her?”

“At least you had her fooled that you’re human.” Sejeong commented. “And to the least, she was happy to be with you on that date.”

Usually, Sejeong was an . But hearing her words somehow relieved me.

For the first time, I was happy.

+++

It had been busy with the souls. From an aspiring soul who wanted to become a reincarnation of Kim Taehee to a couple who were in bad terms, it had gone stressful. The blind man had to be the best one I handled so far. I was feeling light-hearted that his dog that had waited for long can finally be with his master.

I still had the last one for today. I was supposed to get a little boy as the last soul but I froze as I saw the Almighty herself. She was all white and had given life to him. So much for a last one. Nonetheless, I finally had the break and teleported by the bridge.

And right on cue, I saw Kyulkyung.

I was in panic, squandering like a migrating duck. But seeing my hat, I put it on and disappeared. Kyulkyung was by my side, her face scrunched up.

“Why isn’t she picking up? I can’t see nor talk to her on the phone?” She whined. “What the hell could she be?”

I’m a Grim Reaper…the Stone Grim Reaper…and I only move through orders, even I believe that Gyugyong is Kyulkyung to other people…

She threatened to kill me. She said other he mention of it froze me. I saw her call and she grew scared as she heard a tone.

Oh, ! It’s my ringtone!!

I got my phone and hung up. I even tried to hide by crouching down when Kyulkyung fell on my back. I helped her get up as she ran off, screaming.

I look at her go and I sighed. That was not a good progress and we might have a new meeting place this time.

••••••••••

I was walking around, going to the bridge, hoping to see Jinah there. She hadn’t seen me nor called me for a week and I grew anxious. I tried to call her and I ended up hearing another tone. There was no one there so I got scared.

Another thing was that I suddenly tripped and I was being held. But as I got up, there was nothing. I flipped and ran back, heading back to the restaurant.

I ran inside and drank something to calm my nerves.

“Kyulkyung-nim.” I saw Chungha as she was done serving chicken to customers. “Are you okay?”

“Chungha, do you believe in ghosts?” I asked.

“Of course not, Kyulkyung-nim. In fact, what people said about those things are actually made up.” Chungha said.

“I see. It’s just that I experienced something strange…” I panted.

I saw that the store finally had abundant customers and knowing that the college exams were almost coming soon, I told Chungha to not work for a while to focus on them. She nodded and decided to finish her work for today.

+++

It was the end of another day and I was always the one to close the restaurant. I walked throughout the Seoul night, enjoying the ambiance of the city lights.

But why did a drunkard have to disrupt it?

“Huh? Your store closed-*hic*-aish…I was about to go there…” He spoke.

“Yes. It’s closed. Plus my girlfriend is waiting. Come back next time-“

“Ah, seriously…open it!” He yelled. “Just one more drink, huh?”

I gasped as he flew and was thrown to the other side. I got closer to the man and he was knocked out cold.

This was madness. First the bridge now here? Is there some supernatural being haunting me?

I ended up running again while singing a Christian song in Chinese.

+++

I couldn’t get the beauty of this ring off of my head. Seeing it looking nice on my fingers, the person who bought and gave me this spring up to mind. With that, I decided to call her.

Hello?

The voice was entirely different that I was perplexed. “Isn’t this Lim Jinah’s phone?”

It is. Manager Lim stepped away for a moment.

“She’s a manager?” I was shocked.

She’s actually the director.

“That’s odd. What kind of a company hires employees in seconds?” I asked but I remembered my agenda. “Anyways, I know she’s there. Tell her to meet me at the same café at 1:00 pm. She may come as either a director or manager but she mustn’t be late or else I’ll kill her.”

I hung up and huffed. But then, I smiled as I felt excited of the date again.

••••••••••

I could take the missing soul for her little attempt in taking my call. Now, I’m at the same café. I remember myself asking advice from the missing soul of what to do and she explained that I should tell my date everything she needs to know from phone number to wealth.

I was also told that the questions were inevitable and she could ask anything out of the blue so, I must prepare. I was busy wondering what my zodiac should be when I saw Kyulkyung inside. She waved lightly and I waved back as I went inside.

+++

I paid for our orders and we sat face to face again. I coughed lightly and readied my answers.

“I’m 24 years old. My birthday is December 18th. Sagittarius. Blood type O. Single. I live in a rental. I can get a car when needed. My business is clean and I have no business card yet.”

I was relieved that I managed to say it but there was something I wanted to add. “I missed you.”

What the was that?

I bit my tongue as I sealed my lips. I saw Kyulkyung sigh. “Goodness. Me too.”

My chest felt light of that response. And somehow, my jaw twitched involuntarily.

“You’re strange. Do you like me? Although you missed my calls?” Kyulkyung asked.

“Mind me about that. I thought…” I huffed. “…you wouldn’t like someone without a business card.”

“You could’ve just answered my calls and say that you don’t have one. A text is helpful too.” Kyulkyung suggested and I nodded.

“Okay.” I grinned and inched closer. “Do you have a business card?”

“Why?” She asked.

“I wonder what you do.” I said.

She inches closer and grinned. “My face is my business card. It says “gorgeous”, right here.”

I nodded and it was true. “I wish I could take one.”

I earned her laugh, a favorite gesture. But then, she pouted. “See? It’s so much fun when we meet in person. You get to learn more about me and we can get closer.”

I nodded and watched her slice her pretzel. She faced me again and asked. “What do you like?”

“You.” I answered.

What in the world was I doing? I am a Grim Reaper. I shouldn’t be involved in things like these. But here I was, doing human activities as Kyulkyung bit her lip and chuckled.

“You drive me crazy, Jinah.” She chuckled again. “What I meant was hobbies or interests.”

“You.” I answered nonchalantly.

“I get it.” Kyulkyung nodded.

“Your unpredictable acts draw me more than any drama would. Your unpredictability incites my imagination and makes me clueless as I keep giving wrong answers. My new hobby I found in you seems like the Almighty’s plan or perhaps the Almighty’s mistake.”

My heart said otherwise. So what if I was a deity? Those words were fully meant for her. If I was a deity far from my expectations, I have a destined human like the others.

And seeing this woman in front of me, I think she’s the one.

Real smooth, Nayoung.

I saw a white butterfly pass by. I chuckle of my thoughts towards the Almighty’s remarks.

“You speak so well.” Kyulkyung was mesmerized. “Do you have a religion?”

“Do I need to have it?” I asked. “I’ll call you when I have it-“

“No! You don’t need one!” She snapped before I could leave. “Sit down before I kill you.”

And I did. She asks what kind of woman I am and I spoke my first set of words from before.

“No, no! You don’t need to tell me!” She snapped again and I kept quiet. “Just sit. I’ll pretend that I’m looking at a Buddha statue.”

She had a cute face and I couldn’t help my smile. She smiled back and my heart pounded.

Is this what the humans call love?

+++

Kyulkyung and I walked around and she asks what I like. I said that I liked vegetables and nodded when she blocked my way.

“Where are you going? You said we’re going to eat. You won’t feed me?” She batted.

“I got you the hotdog and you ate it all. Overeating leads to illnesses, you know.” I answered.

“You’re the one who’s ill with the pale skin.” Kyulkyung said. “Forget it. Where are you going?”

“I have a company outing. I have to pay a fine if I skip it.” I said.

“What’s wrong with you?” She sighs. “You’re so clueless and everything you do is wrong. All wrong.”

“Sorry. Your questions are quite difficult.” I spoke and bowed. “But I really need to go.”

“Fine. I’ll be calling you.” Kyulkyung said and walked away. “You better answer and. And please be prepared.”

I nodded and she left. As she was far enough, I huffed and ran back.

+++

I met with Eunwoo and we walked together across an alleyway. The Reaper Society has ranked all of us and the top from each batch will meet to celebrate.

“Top of Batch 1 and of the entire Reaper Society.” Eunwoo clapped at me. “How to be you, sunbae?”

“So much for the top of Batch 4.” I batted.

I bumped into some thief and he had to insult me before he left. Eunwoo cussed and checked on me.

“Are you alright, sunbae? I think that bastard wanted a death wish. Do you know what he just did?” She spoke and I nodded. “He could anger the spirits in less than a month. Should we do something about it?”

“That’s his choice. Anyways, let’s go. I need to pee.” I spoke and Eunwoo followed me.

After that, we got to the meeting place. As expected, Eunwoo and I were late. Nonetheless, we joined the rest to eat and drink. I excluded the fresh ones since they were young.

“What about the Savage Grim Reaper of Batch 8?” Yebin pointed. “She’s young.”

“Age is just a number.” Sungyeon batted.

“Since you two are late, you guys pay the bill.” Kyungwon pointed at Eunwoo and me.

Eunwoo reached into her pocket and got half. I went to reach mine but I couldn’t find it.

“Is something wrong?” Eunwoo asked.

“The person I bumped into…was a pit pocket.” I hissed. “Can you pay for today?”

“That’s all I have.” Eunwoo asked.

“Let’s disappear one by one.” Kyungwon said.

“But isn’t that against the rules, sunbaenim?” Kyla asked. “We’d write a formal apology for that.”

“Only for us, seniors.” Minkyung clarified. “As much as I don’t want to break rules, we don’t have a choice. Batch 7-10, go first.”

The four young reapers put their hats on and vanished. The remaining reapers also vanished, leaving me. I huffed, checking the place and decided to leave when I couldn’t find my hat. I checked and I saw Eunwoo holding it before she vanished.

“That punk.” I hissed and sighed, grabbing a card. “ the society, aish…”

+++

I panted as I got to my home. I couldn’t muster any energy to turn on the lights. I can see in the dark anyway.

I looked as I got my wallet back. That thief from before was meant to die. I ran towards Eunwoo to get my hat, just so that I can get that soul. The talk by the tea house was worse. The soul turned out to be a demon.

Demons in the tea house was the worst case of grim reapers. Grim reapers had to cast a spell to send them to hell and it cost energies. The said demon was powerful. With that, I came home with a weak shoulder.

A knock greeted me and I got out, seeing a woman carrying a package. “Mail from the Reaper Society.”

I received and looked at the box. I looked up and the mailwoman was gone. I sighed and sat, opening the package. Inside was a scroll. I opened it and saw a picture of a queen from centuries ago. It had writing in the side which was blurry but it indicated a year.

1 A.D

Seeing the face hit me that I dropped it. A flow of energy went around the house. I felt tears running down and my shoulder hurt. The pain caused me to collapse as I screamed.

I saw a vision of Kyulkyung and of the ancient times when a royal guard was watching a princess practice with grace. The bowls on her shoulder fell and a red aura emitted from my shoulder.

It was the beginning of a terribly sad love story. This thing called destiny is sad. It’s no sin to fall in love but with power, envy, and greed, you would never deserve it ever again.

Was that the Almighty? What was that vision? Why did I see Kyulkyung onto that picture?

I couldn’t think anymore as I was lost in darkness.

+++

A visit from the God was unexpected. I wondered why and asked of her visit when she glared at me and of the scroll on the table.

“Who sent you that?” Sejeong asked.

“The Reaper Society.” I answered.

She chuckled and took it. I was provoked when the white butterfly flew in our midst.

I sent her that scroll, God.

“Why did you let her have it?!” Sejeong yelled. “It’s supposed to be for me!”

I took it away from her and held it tight. I huffed and I felt my tears drop again.

Go and get each other’s answers instead of fighting.

The butterfly went away and Sejeong wondered. “You? Crying? Even I don’t cry, Nayoung.”

“I was confused that I thought about it long and hard.” I said. “It was like Stendhal syndrome. I felt moved.”

The scroll was gone from me and was in Sejeong’s hand. She checked it and she cried lightly.

“Yah. Who’s that woman in the painting?” I asked.

Sejeong sniffled and closed it. She glared at me again. “Why do you care?”

“I think she’s familiar.” I answered again.

She opens the scroll and I cried again. I even felt my chest hurt just looking at it as I pictured a woman beaten to death.

“Who do you think she is?” Sejeong spoke. “This woman is my little sister.”

“Why is she familiar to me?” I huffed as I paced around. “She may be part of the missing souls but-“

“She’s reincarnated? To whom?” Sejeong batted.

I saw Kyulkyung onto that vision but I could never tell that to Sejeong. Who knows what the God might do?

“I don’t know.” I answered and got the scroll back.

“Consider yourself lucky, then.” Sejeong said and vanished.

••••••••••

It was another end of the day. Despite of the closed shop, I stayed for a bit, enjoying some chips as I look outside.

I waited for a sound, a voice, even a sign. I even watched people come and go as I counted.

“48…49…” I was almost slumping as I got there. “…50.”

I gasped as I saw Jinah. She wasn’t wearing black this time and had her ponytail off, showing off her long hair. She pointed with her phone and I got the gist to check on it by the counter.

And alas! I got 10 missed calls from her!

I called her again as I look at her outside. “Yah! You never called so I ignored my phone for a while!”

“Sorry to keep you waiting.” She spoke through the line as we faced. “Shall we go on a date?”

I gleaned and nodded as I hung up and grabbed my jacket.

+++

We were walking on a winter night and I decided to talk to Jinah about the calls. “Mind me. I didn’t expect it but ten missed calls?”

“I was working late when I thought of something to say.” Jinah said.

“It must have been important.” I said.

“It was.” She said and we faced each other. “I don’t have a religion.”

I was reminded of what I asked on the last date. Jinah said she’d call me if she got the answer. “So you called me ten times to tell me that?”

“I thought that you need to know as soon as possible.” She said with a smile.

My heart pounded with longing and adoration. And when she smiled, I could just ogle her for a long, long time. “You’re cute.”

“Am I?” She asked.

“Didn’t any other person tell you so?” I asked her.

“I didn’t have any other person before.” She answered.

“Good.” I spoke. “It’s good that you don’t have any other person in mind. Don’t go looking for any. You’re perfect as you are, okay?”

My heart was insane. Here I am with the gestures and suggestions for this woman. I guess I was starting to fall for her bit by bit.

She nodded with a smile, almost like a smirk. At the back of my mind, I wondered if she was a player. Anyways, I wanted to tell her something. “Tell me this and be very honest. I will tell you as well.”

“Tell me what?” Jinah asked.

“I’m not Korean. I’m Chinese and have a different name. Zhou Jieqiong. But to be true, my name only had one syllable before that name came up.” I said. “Joo.”

Jinah grew serious but I sighed and continued. “My parents were poor in China. They gave me that one name but paid to get a decent Chinese name. The fortune-teller said that I should have this name.”

“So you were named Zhou Jieqiong?” She asked.

“Yes. But now that I’m here in Korea, I changed it to Joo Kyulkyung.” I said. “I think I shine brighter with this name, that I was Jieqiong. But when I got here, I shone even brighter but I had a grudge on my last name.”

“Why?” Jinah asked.

“Zhou is changed to Joo here in Korea. Hearing it made me sad and scared, as if there was a dark meaning to it, like something unusual happened in the past.” I answered. “Jinah.”

“What is it?” She asked.

“What’s your real name?” I asked, looking intently at her. “I know your name is fake. The factors won’t matter so can you tell me?”

I waited again but I gasped when she crouched and held her shoulder tight. I grew worried. “Is it your stomach? Chest? Are you okay? Are your hands cold? Let me help you-“

She moved away as she continued to groan in pain. I look at her, seeing red by her shoulder. A weapon went visible, like a dagger. I rubbed my eyes when I felt a tug on my jacket.

“Kyulkyung…I’m sorry…” Jinah groaned. “…but please look into my eyes.”

I did and I saw brown orbs. I looked closer and I saw red streaks. What shocked was that I felt something draining by my head.

“You didn’t see me today. I’m sorry if I have to leave you again. Turn around…and go home…”

+++

Indeed, life works in mysterious ways. Recalling all that had happened between Jinah and me was just one of those ways. Her presence in my thoughts made me visit Sungso abruptly.

“What brings you here, Kyulkyung?” She asked, her little bell ringing.

“I remembered your last fortune, about watching out for a woman with a black hat and a red aura by her shoulder.” I began. “And I think I’m seeing it on Jinah.”

“The tall woman with the CEO?” She asked and I nodded. “Why? What did you see?”

“She wears black all the time. Another thing was that she was pale but had crimson lips. She sometimes holds a hat too…” I answered.

She sighed and did her work. I look at her, getting a little scared as her bell rung louder. But then, she gasped and flipped her bottle off of the table, causing it to break. I saw her pant and asked what’s wrong.

“The aura is dark and strong…” Sungso huffed. “…you better not tell her your real name…”

“Huh? Why?” I went frantic.

“Jinah is not what you expect, Kyulkyung.” Sungso spoke. “She’s a grim reaper.”

I gasped and Sungso rubbed her temples. “I gave you the warning, didn’t I?”

“Yah, did you suddenly make money? Are there any other customers than me? Because seriously, how can a spinster fall in love by watching out for men?”

“What the are you talking about?!” Sungso spat and huffed. “Well, that’s all I can say.”

I pouted and gave her cash before I left. I stopped and went back. “One more thing.”

“What?” Sungso asked.

“How could a grim reaper have some red aura by the shoulder?” I asked.

“Then it’s one of the Almighty’s deities. There are many grim reapers around but She herself got someone special.” Sungso said. “Also…” She inches closer. “…were you have given something?”

“How did you know?” I was starting to grow nervous again.

“You shouldn’t accept things without knowing the original owner. Who knows what they contain?” Sungso explained. “From sins to emotions, they indwell in things.”

I thought about the ring. I processed all the things being said here but I had gone restless and left. “Bye now.”

Sungso only waved and I went out of her stall.

+++

I was at the café again, drinking tea as I looked at the ring, wondering of the content of it.

What resentment? What sins? What kind of longing would it contain?

My phone buzzed and I was quick to look at the messages, sighing in dismay as I only got notifications for my mobile data.

Why am I doing this? Is this the effect of missing Jinah?

“There’s no way I’m missing her…” I hissed and put my phone down. “She probably went off the grid again.”

An urge came to me as I look at my phone. With that, I grabbed her, attempting to text her against my will.

Are you busy? What are you doing? Are you not going to reply?

A ring of a phone was heard. I was shocked. It wasn’t mine.

“Strange…not this again…” I huffed and texted Jinah again.

Where are you? I missed you…

It rang again. Usually this happens when I try to text Jinah.

Is this what Sungso meant, that Jinah is not whom I think she is?

“Ridiculous.” I huffed and sat back down.

I had gone mad, singing more Christian songs and yelling at her to come out.

Jinah has taken a toll on me and I can’t get her off of my head.

+++

With a progress of the restaurant, I needed to hire an assistant. Many came and went, some were snobbish and some were flirty.

It was the last applicant for today and I saw the sign with a note on it. The notes were familiar. I looked at the applicant and my heart went light.

Chungha was back.

••••••••••

Here I was again, meeting Kyulkyung, doing the usual date. The last time when we separated was awkward in my memories but it had to be done. She didn’t like my actions and I had my works.

We may have separated but it didn’t stop me from watching over her in spirit. This opportunity today was one thing that I need to step up. Heeding Chungha’s instructions, I decided to put them in action.

“What are you trying to do this time? After all that had happened?” She asked as we stopped.

“It’s dangerous. I want you to walk on the inside of the pavement.” I said.

“By acting awkwardly?” She asked and crossed her arms. “Anyways, Chungha said that you wanted to see me and talk to me so fire it away.”

“Well, I have no religion.” I spoke.

“That still got in your head?” Kyulkyung asked.

“I wanted to let you know. I didn’t get the idea to you before.” I said, grinning. “Anyways, do you think I look cute?”

“You’ve been smiling all evening for me to tell you that? And to answer it, no.” She answered and I was damned. “You act awkward, you didn’t talk to me after all those times, and you came back so sudden.”

It was all true. It’s just that I erased a part of her memory and I scare her every time I watch her. Hearing her say those words made me understand that she needed space so I gave it to her. The Reaper Society wasn’t nice too since I had to work overtime on lost souls, all thanks to Sejeong, the godly son of a .

Although I had my reasons, there’s that feeling that I wanted to see Kyulkyung again and I did my best to let her know that through this date.

“Let’s go.” She held my arm. “We’ll be having a double date.”

+++

I was seeing Sejeong and Chungha. I realized that Sejeong and Kyulyung met before, just after she moved. I also knew that Chungha was Kyulkyung’s worker and of the mishaps of Sejeong’s relationship with her destined human.

Oh, and the refute between Sejeong and Kyulkyung had to add and I was laughing internally at Sejeong’s defenses. I couldn’t believe a mere human defied the God with words.

“This was supposed to be a date.” I hissed since Sejeong had gone far enough.

“Ne. So please leave.” Kyulkyung added and pointed at Sejeong.

“What? I have my date too.” Sejeong pointed at Chungha.

“Well, it’s done. And I have customers so please go.” Chungha batted at her and went to greet them.

Sejeong decided to behave and Kyulkyung had to excuse herself for work. I stayed and scolded Sejeong.

“Don’t you pinch me. I’m the God. You’re just a Grim Reaper.” Sejeong hissed.

“Whatever.” I spoke. “Joo. Two beers, please?”

Sejeong suddenly clenched my collar. I was perplexed as she muttered. “Who?”

“Stop it.” I saw Kyulkyung and she had the look Sejeong had.

She rushed closer and pulled me off of Sejeong. It was a drastic situation as Kyulkyung faced me. “We need to talk. Outside, in private.”

I was still confused yet I nodded and came with. As we got outside, she lets go and looked away.

“What’s wrong?” I asked.

“I should be the one asking that to you.” She faced me with a cold look. “What was that about? You called me Joo.”

“What about it?” I asked her.

“How did you know to address me that way? I never told you that nor anyone else.” She answered.

I recalled the time I took a bit of her memory when my shoulder ached. I realized my mistake as she yelled. “Why do know it?!”

“Ah…I was about to say Joo Kyulkyung.” I defended and averted her of the thought. “It’s cold. I’ll get your jacket.”

“I’m not done talking.” She held my hand before I could go.

My eyes dilated as if the world froze before my eyes. I saw a white butterfly and a flood of memories from a time of old to the scroll that was sent to me.

I look at Kyulkyung and she a look of fear. I had a hunch that she saw something in me.

The Almighty had created deities but sometimes picked special ones. I am a grim reaper yet she picked me. And of all her creations, there’s a destined human for each.

With the memories, Kyulkyung was the one.

“What’s wrong?” She asked.

Kyulkyung was no ordinary woman. She was my destined human. But with the name, I have a feeling that she was the same girl on the painting. If that were the case…

She’s my younger sister.

…is she related to the God?

“What is it? It’s not like it’s the first you held someone’s hand.” She batted and crossed her arms at me again. “I get it.”

“What?” I asked.

“Are you married?” She asked back.

“No.”

“With the secrecy and the gestures and the face, are you an agent?” She asked.

“No.” I said again.

“Then are you a grim reaper?”

I was drawn but I didn’t express anything. Some part of me didn’t want Kyulkyung to know. I fear that if I did, I would lose her for real.

“You’re not laughing. I was joking. Now can we go inside? It’s cold!”

She went back inside yet I remained on my spot as I look at her.

I know she’s my destined human but there was more than meets the eye that I needed to find out.

+++

The relationship took on another toll because of a mystery. As I wrote them down, I thought of everything.

The face of the lady in the scroll resembled Kyulkyung’s. The lady in the scroll is Sejeong’s sister. I had a feeling that it’s her reincarnation but it is uncertain.

I wrote again and I tried to connect those facts to what was happening to me. Seeing the lady in the scroll, I cried. Seeing Kyulkyung, I also cried. Why did I? What was that feeling? Were they part of me? Of my origin?

I eased my shoulder and had an idea that I decided to call Kyulkyung.

Hello?

“It’s me.” I said. “Let’s meet. Same place and same time.”

Okay.

“And one more thing…” I said.

What is it?

“…I need the ring back.”

••••••••••

I was face to face with Jinah again and she asked me of the ring. I showed my hand and she points at the table. I took it off and scooted it towards her.

“What are you going to do with it?” I asked.

“I need to have this for a while.” Jinah said.

“Tell me the reason.” I demanded.

“For research. Its nature will forbid me from disclosing the details.” She added. “By the way, why did you particularly pick this ring?”

“It seemed like mine.” I answered.

“By any chance, did you feel anything when you put it on?” She asked again.

“I did feel something.” I said and she focused. “I felt that I picked it up to meet you. You were a woman who cried just looking at me, a woman who doesn’t yield, and a woman whom I have waited for to see so shortly.”

“Kyulkyung…”

“But I never knew that you were the woman who would take my ring back.” I added.

“I’ll return it shortly.” Jinah assured me.

“I don’t the nature of this research but if you have leads, I deserve my share of it.” I said again and she nodded. “Well then. I need to go to work.”

As I left, I couldn’t help the feeling that Sungso’s words were real. I also had the feeling that Jinah was meant for me. But what remained on my head was a red aura by her shoulder.

It was vibrant than before. But one thing is for sure, I cannot tell her of what I see.

+++

My hand without the ring was an utterly disturbing feeling. It made me wonder how the ring was and if Jinah really had leads of what the ring was about. With that, I decided to call her.

Hello?

“Are you still researching?” I asked her.

I wasn’t exactly being tardy, but yes, I’m still in the process of it.

“Hmm…must be really complicated.” I sighed. “Anyways, what are you doing?”

Wondering if I should hold your hand or not.

“That’s crazy. How about today, when I’m much younger?” I suggested.

Today?

“Yes. Meet me at the café this evening.” I said and hung up.

+++

As usual, I was early. I reserved seats outside as I look around for Jinah.

I remembered Sungso stopping by as she saw me. She wondered of my doings and I said that I was going on a date with Jinah. Hearing it made her worry again. I shrugged and told her to be careful.

I finally saw her walking by a crowd of people. She was tall so I saw her. Seeing her walk closer made me laugh a little. Tonight, she finally looked cute. I waved at her and she waved back, all while she walked sloppily and as she sat on the adjacent seat.

“I apologize for being late. It was hard to walk within a crowd.” She spoke as she bowed.

“You made it just in time for me to age a year older. Shall we order?”

“Before we do…” She scratched her neck. “…can we hold hands?”

“Right now?” I asked.

“Yeah. I’m too curious so…” She smiled and lent her hand.

The ogling side of me would submit but then, with all that has happened, will I be able to? Before I could make a decision, I had to make things clear. I reached for her hand but I took mine back, placing them in my pockets. “Humans are strange beings. I want to play hard to get. Do you really want to hold my hand?”

“Yes.” She nodded, her hand still lent.

“Me too.” I spoke and somehow, she puts her hand down. “I want to hold your hand and hug you, Jinah…but I should know whose hand I’m holding and who I am hugging.”

“Kyulkyung…”

“You haven’t answered the most crucial question I have ever asked you.” I said. “Jinah…who and what are you?”

This was going down the drain and I sensed it. “It’s just that you don’t tell me anything about who you are and I was even flustered to how you know my real name. I’ll let you off the hook on our dates but on this one, I’ll only hook you off for today…and there are only a few hours left.”

I inched closer towards her, all the while I admire her looks. I could hear the seconds tick as I wait for her answer. She looked at me and inched closer. I could feel my heart pound of her gestures. But then, she moved away and lowered her head. She even looked crossed.

That was her answer for me. I could feel my heart break.

“Is it too much to ask?” I asked.

“I…I’m really sorry.” She could only apologize. “Kyulkyung-”

“What brings you here, then?”

“I came to see you.” She answered.

“Will you not tell me your real name?” I asked.

“I can't. I don't know who I am.” She spoke.

“Jinah, whatever you name is...” I called her. “…this relationship is getting out of hand. Why don’t we call it quits?”

“What?” She was dazed.

“This is going nowhere.” I said. “Don’t contact me ever again and if run towards each other in the future, don’t bother to say hi.”

Jinah had her eyes dilated but then, they looked sadly at me as she nodded.

“Goodbye, Jinah.” I spoke.

I got up and I walked away, every step worse than the last. As I look at her, she was actually trying. But her awkwardness and mistakes are too much to handle.

I would be losing an integral part of my life but it was better that way.

••••••••••

The pain has coursed throughout my being. From a red streak of energy by my shoulder to memories of old planting in my head, they have taken effect on a soulless me. Ever since Kyulkyung and I separated, I became a wreck. The Reaper Society didn’t strip me off of my powers but I was cut off my tasks.

I didn’t understand. Why was this happening to me? Why am I seeing a vision of a tyrant ruler who killed her queen? Why does my chest hurt? And why am I seeing Kyulkyung within those memories?

The white butterfly flew above me and I felt my head hurt again. As it did, I saw a vision of Kyulkyung inside her restaurant. What made me jolt was that she was coughing and her face looked sick.

Despite my weak state, I grabbed my hat and decided to teleport there.

+++

I was outside the store and as the vision portrayed, she was indeed sick. I could cuss seeing her drink alcohol but she walked back to return them. I teleported inside, taking off my hat as I sighed, reaching into my pocket with the ring as I held onto to jade-composed jewelry. Maybe it was about time I return it to her.

I heard footsteps. I jolted up that the ring slipped off of my hands as I rushed to put my hat on to hide. Kyulkyung returned bringing her cell phone and went back, giving me the chance to get the ring that fell on the floor. She returned and I backed away slightly. She came back with a towel in hand.

“She’s about 170 centimeters tall…and her heels are about a centimeter thick…” She mumbled as she raised the towel up. “…so she should be this tall.”

I could’ve dodged that. I was shocked that I couldn’t move away as Kyulkyung hits me. My hat fell on the floor and I was visible to Kyulkyung’s view. She was shocked seeing me, almost shivering. She even mumbled to herself on how it came to a situation like this, from how she described me to the times that I would watch her over as she hears the mysterious ringtone. I clenched onto the ring as I couldn’t run away from what was happening now.

“You did something to me before, didn’t you?” Kyulkyung spoke and I admit towards my conscience. “Whatever it was, don’t do it again.”

“I won’t.” I answered her. “I’ll just let you catch on.”

“Just…what are you?” Kyulkyung asked, growing even more scared.

I couldn’t hide to her anymore. She had to know now. The rules won’t of the society won’t apply to me anymore. “I’m a grim reaper…”

“If you’re a grim reaper…” Kyulkyung spoke again as she pointed at me. “…why do I see a weapon stabbed on your shoulder with a red aura around it?”

I dilate my eyes to resist the hurt in my head. And as she speaks, I witness it myself. The weapon was a dagger, almost a weapon that dignitaries use in the ancient times. Looking at it, those puzzled memories that I foresaw were forming into one significant truth. I sense that it was dark.

“I’m sorry…” I spoke to Kyulkyung to avert myself. “…did I scare you of this meeting?”

“To hell you did.” Kyulkyung mumbled.

Her fear has etched on her face ever since I became a part of her life. I crouched to get my hat when she tried to stop me.

“What are you doing-“

“I won’t let you forget the truth here…” I mumbled as I held my hat. “…but you’ll have to forget to misunderstand it.”

+++

I would’ve teleported back to my home but the rings from the teahouse sounded aggressive. I got there and gasped as I saw someone that made sit down and bow. “Kahi-nim.”

Kahi, the head of the Reaper Society, has come forth in the midst of my presence. Her reason to come won’t be good. “Nayoung. So much for the being the best grim reaper of this society, you became a hypocrite of your stand as one.”

She slams a stack of papers and sighed. I looked at them, seeing the violations that I have committed.

“From wiping out the human’s memory to not taking serious action as you revealed yourself. The number of sins almost don’t lie. Now…” She looks at me with her devil eyes. “…you know the drill for this.”

“I accept.” I spoke. “I’m ready to face punishment.”

“Grim Reapers are being from the people who have committed the greatest sins. After many years of torment, they choose to erase their memories. But for you, the Almighty has made you special.” Kahi-nim began as I felt my ears ringing. “You had been chosen as one of her special deities and of course, her deities have their destined humans. Due to your status, it has been delayed. But the Almighty has thrown her question. It’s about time you answer her through your punishment by confronting your sins once again.”

The pain was like hell as I fell to the ground and struggled, like a soul possessed by a demon. I could only see Kahi-nim vanish as memories flooded inside my head, pushing me to remember them until such time I lose consciousness.

Atheism was a taboo in the kingdom. An Empress watches the traitor with her neck tied to a noose and the weights bare the heavy weights in her arms and legs. She saw her Queen crying as the said traitor died. She paid no heed to sorrow and joined the people in rejoicing. It was her decreed and she had protected her people once again.

But years came and Empress Lim watched her Queen mourning of the said traitor. She had done it for so long. The Empress knew of their relationship but it had gone far enough. Any word of the said traitor spoken by anyone will have to die. But who was she to kill her Queen? She loved her so dearly. But the Queen’s actions have depleted her empathy and patience. In the end, she murdered her.

The years passed since the Queen’s death and the Empress had destroyed herself. Her illness had gotten her people worry. She had sulked, starved, and even started to avert herself as she paints a portrait of the late Queen. Another aversion was sleeping as she holds the Queen’s bloody clothes, her bloody ring, and the bloody dagger that she used to kill as if she was hugging her. The Empress had gone hypocritical with her actions. She started the sin with her envy and wrath and ended it with her regret and sorrow.

Walking around the streets and seeing everyone grovel, she carries the clothes, ring, and the dagger.

“To whom shall I give this garment!?” She spoke as she wobbled. “To whose finger shall I put this beautiful ring into?!”

An old woman had the ring. The raging fire had the clothes. But in her crippling hands had the dagger. She went on walking until she reached a high peak and she fell to her knees.

She laughs, happy that the poison she would drink every night had finally kicked in. With the last draw of her life on the line, she stabbed herself with that dagger and plummeted towards her death.

I huffed as I came to reality, with Kahi-nim looking down at me like I was a pest. I ended up at stale, my tears flowing endlessly.

“You suffered torment for 300 years and chose to erase your memory afterward and have served for 200 years. On this day, your service has been terminated. Now, you make a choice.” Kahi-nim said. “Live your life out of nothingness or fulfill the destiny that the Almighty has always tasked you to do?”

She vanished and the teahouse went dim. My emotions were confused but most of them enlightened me of the truth.

I was a special deity by the Almighty, the Stone Grim Reaper. Kyulkyung was my destined human. I was meant to have my dagger removed by her and if I don’t, Kyulkyung will meet death…and she will as an ailment starts to strike into her system.

I regain my strength and do what must be done.

••••••••••

Coughing blood and getting myself dizzy was unexpected. I never thought my life would come this way. I would’ve just let this pass when my phone rang. I clean myself up as I grab my phone and answer. “H-Hello?”

It’s me. Let’s meet up.

“I don’t feel so good…” I huffed. “…and after your recent attempt of losing my memory, I don’t want to see you.”

I’m outside your home. I apologize for the intrusion but please…one last time…

I was confused. Nonetheless, I hung up and got myself ready.

+++

I may have gotten myself ready but with the weak body and heart, despite the mere distance, I couldn’t go outside. With that, I distract myself by counting from 1 to 50. If I won’t be able to make it outside until then, I’ll go back.

As I began to count, I never thought I was so slow. It was almost the 50th count and I was still within the premises. But I couldn’t stop now.

“48…49…”

“1…2…”

I managed to get outside as I saw Jinah. She looked sad as she counted. “3…4…”

I rushed outside, my heels cackling against the asphalt road on a cold evening. I saw Jinah already waiting that I run faster when she teleported and caught me. I felt my heart pump at that.

“Why did you rush?” She asked.

“I had to see you.” I answered.

“I would’ve come to you, knowing that you were sick…” She said.

“It’s nicer if we met in the middle…” I said.

We let ourselves go as she looked at me with teary eyes. She mumbled. “Just like what you said when you became my Queen…”

I was confused. I saw her hold the ring as I lent a hand and asked for it. “You said it’s the last time. You came here to return my ring as a last draw in this relationship? Will I not hear anything from you after this?”

“That’s one reason. But…” Jinah began.

“But?”

“I need to settle everything before I run out of time.” She added. “I just hope that it’ll be settled and that…you’ll live long and well…”

“What are you talking about?” I asked.

“My name’s not Jinah. It’s Nayoung.” She began and I saw the red aura by her shoulder again. “As much as I’m not alive, you made me so. For that, I thank you.”

“Jinah-I mean-N-Nayoung-“

“I came here to return the ring. But I also came here because I missed our times together…I…I missed you, Kyulkyung.” Nayoung sighed. “But everything went out of place for you. I became a certain somebody yet I made it miserable. I take a step back because everything about me is all so wrong.”

“That’s enough, Nayoung.” I spoke as I cried and held her arms. “If this is goodbye, then don’t do this!”

“I had nothing…but you came to me and I had something.” Nayoung still spoke. “You wanted to hold my hand. You wanted to hug me. But I couldn’t do it.” She held my arms back. “A kiss from the grim reaper will make you remember of your past life and will speak of the truth in the present.”

“Nayoung…”

“May this be acceptable after all the ignorance that I’ve given. Let this be my chance to grant that desire. Let me also apologize for what I’ve done and that you’ll only be left with good memories.”

I couldn’t speak a word as she held me closer and kissed me. I felt her lips against mine and a gush of memory was sent to my head.

She was a merchant in the ancient times as she was a candidate of being a Queen for the Empress. Of all that had participated, the Empress has chosen her. They lived in the kingdom together and fell in love with each other. But as time passed by, that love had to be paid with sacrifices, the Empress with her desire to rule and the Queen with her atheistic sister.

She talked with her through their last meal. Despite the heed, she didn’t want to abandon her sister. She was told to deny and despite the heed once more, she denied her more than once. She watched her getting punished. She watched her die. She wasn’t even given the chance to mourn.

But she could not contain the feelings of sorrow. She would always mourn of her sister. Who cares if she was a taboo to the society? For Queen Joo, blood was thicker than water.

“You have mourned for the traitor, huh?” Empress Lim slammed the door open as Queen Joo faced her. “I thought you got the decreed in your head.”

“Your Majesty-“

“Answer me…or have you decided of your consequence?” The Empress spat. “I should’ve known. The white clothes you wore and the loss of the jewelry.”

Empress Lim sent her servant to get Queen Joo’s jewelry box and got a ring. She threw the box, breaking it into bits as she puts the ring forcefully on Queen Joo’s finger. “You are my Queen and not the sister of a traitor!!”

Queen Joo shoved her hand away as she cried. Empress Lim’s anger rose. “For once I thought that you would always be on my side. I trusted you of my love…but why?! Why do keep mourning for that traitor?! Is she more important than your own wife?! Did you even love me?!”

Queen Joo slapped her face. The Empress was flustered. Carried by her power and envy, she questions. “You make a choice, then. Will you live as my Queen or will you die as the atheist’s sister?”

“I need no questions.” Queen Joo spoke as she got a dagger from the side. “I say to you…that the Queen who loved you will all her heart…will die as the atheist’s sister.”

That was the last straw. Empress Lim lets herself be consumed as she ends the life of Queen Joo, her Queen…her love…

I felt Nayoung distance herself as I open my eyes and teared up. The aura by her shoulder shone and the dagger was right there. I got curious and held it and I did. Nayoung groaned but she looked at me and asked. “Was I part of your past life?”

I cried harder and nodded.

“The Almighty plays a lot with her beings. Now, you’re aware that I’m a Stone Grim Reaper, that I am a deity…and that you’re my destined human?” She asked again.

I cried as I clenched onto that dagger. I didn’t pull it. I didn’t want to pull it. With the memory came another of my destiny, that I had to pull the dagger and make her disappear. No wonder I had gone ill. The ignorance would actually be the death of me.

She may have killed me in the past…but I could not do the same to her in the present.

“Kyulkyung…” Nayoung looked at me weakly. “…please look into my eyes.”

“No…” I shut them.

“Please…you have to…” She added.

I sniffled and held her closer. I sobbed as I open my eyes and gazed at her own.

“Leave the happy and wonderful memories and forget the sad and hurtful ones, whether in the past or present…” Nayoung said. “Leave the memory that an awkward girl by the name of Lim Nayoung loved you…and not the grim reaper that stands before you.”

I felt her cup my cheek as my tears dropped. I then felt that hand hold my arm as she pulled herself away, letting the dagger off of her shoulders as it vanished beyond my grasp. I saw her fading in red burning specks as I do my useless efforts to stop her.

“I’m sorry…we had a tragic destiny…” Nayoung spoke as she was fading quickly. “…but at least you get a happy ending.”

“Nayoung, no…” I hugged her.

I felt her hug back but it faded so soon. I open my eyes and she was gone…

I felt a pain in my chest as I held and cried, wondering if it was an ailment that came or that it was a broken heart because I lost the awkward woman that loved me…and whom I loved in return. I was lost as I kept crying in the street.

Why did the Almighty have to make our love story so tragic?

••••••••••

It was a beautiful day. People came and went within my field of vision but I stayed at the same place, sitting on the same bench and waiting within the same amount of time. The rain comes yet I wait. The sun comes up scorching the country yet I wait. It was no crime. But the crime I had was that I waited for nothing.

A kid ran around as she pants and decides to sit next to me. She took subtle breaths and got something in her bag, a large sandwich. She smiles at me and gives the other share. “Have a sandwich.”

I thanked her as I ate with her. She had the same gleaming smile at me after she munched. “I’m glad you smiled. Life can be tough but there should also be time to cheer up and smile.”

“I’ll take that.” I answered.

“I need to go now.” She said, standing up and walking to the right.

“Stop.” I spoke and she faced me. “Go to the left.”

She looked skeptically at me but she nodded and went on her way. I bid her ado and went back to my solitude when my phone rang.

“Hello?” I spoke as I answered.

Yah, Lim Nayoung! The shoot is in ten minutes! Where are you?!

“Alright. I’ll be right there.” I answered and hung up.

+++

It was the break from another shoot and I managed to meet my fellow actress. She was childish beneath a body full of visuals and she asked to teach me how to catch a criminal. I demonstrated…

…yet she acted like a kid again and screamed.

“What in the world?!”

“I arrest people right away. No words needed.” I spoke as I handcuffed.

“But shouldn’t that be included?” She asked.

“Oh, really?” I asked as I pinned her wrists close. “You are under arrest. You have the right to remain silent. Any word you say will be testified in the court of law.”

“Nice. But no!” She kicked my legs and I reacted. “What part of the question did you not understand?”

“What? You told me to show you.” I reasoned.

“Yes, but not literally. And besides, I’m not the criminal. Siyeon is.”

She pointed at a young woman who had her makeup done. I scratched my head and held her wrist to uncuff her. “Sorry. I thought you were the criminal. You look more suitable for the role.”

“What?! Hello, I’m the star!” She pointed at herself.

“But from three glances, you look like one. A concrete example would be a syndicate involved in a heist.” I remarked.

“How dare you?!” She batted. “Why would you arrest me? Did I steal your heart or something?”

Those words froze me as little bits of memory played in my head. Looking at the woman in front of me, she seemed familiar. She explained the whole details of this shoot but her annoying approach was too unbearable. I could face-palm at her as she huffed and spat.

“Yah, Director Kang?! Who is this woman?!!”

Director Kang Kyungwon was talking to her assistant director and sister Kang Yebin. But then, she had caught the woman’s attention as she got closer. The actress points at me. “Why is this stone-head so rude?”

“Hey!” I reacted.

“That’s not nice, Kyul.” Yebin said.

Kyul?

“Didn’t I introduce you two?” Director Kang asked. “She’s out consultant, a detective from our violent crimes unit.”

“What about the other artist? She was supposed to have this role!” She asked.

“Miss Kim Doyeon has an award to attend to tonight so she won’t be able to take this role. I decided to get another person to do the act. Luckily, out consultant is just as tall and beautiful as Miss Kim.” Yebin answered.

“Yes. I’m Lim Nayoung from Seoul Police Station.” I introduced as I lent a hand.

She looked puzzled but she shook back. “Weird. The name…Lim Nayoung?”

“Uhh…yes. That’s my name. I just said it.” I answered.

“It seemed familiar…no way…” She reacted.

“I heard you, miss.” I said back. “And you are?”

“Joo.” She answered. “Joo Kyulkyung.”

First was the face and now the name. Those two were really familiar to me. Nonetheless, I avert my thoughts. “Nice to meet you.”

“Same. You better not handcuff me again.” Kyulkyung pouted.

She looked beautiful and cute that it made my heart skip lightly. “I won’t. Never again.”

“Alright, you two. Back to the shoot.” Yebin breaks us and we were dragged back to the scene.

••••••••••

I couldn’t believe that it was one ed up night for the production team. Our shoot was in a province but sadly, we didn’t have a place to sleep.

Why we? It seemed that my fellow actress-slash-consultant didn’t have a place to sleep either.

“Ah…don’t think of any idea out of this.” I defended, saying to the lady in white who was the clerk for the motel we are in.

I nudged the tall Lim Nayoung and she crouched, seeing the clerk as she nodded. “Yes. I’m her consultant.”

“Okay!” She spoke with her dynamic voice. “There’s only one room available so you’ll have to share~”

I got up and sighed, feeling my brain almost exploding because of the predicament we’re in. And looking at Nayoung, I couldn’t believe she was lax about it.

“Why does it have to be like this, that there’s only one available room?” I began. “We could look for another hotel of some sort but we’ll only get sore legs. Sore legs get swollen and it’s not good for actresses.”

“What would it be, ladies?” The clerk asked again. “Will you take or not?”

“Yes, please.” I nodded.

I nudged Nayoung again as she joined me. “Yes, please. Do hurry.”

“Seriously, why didn’t the staff book rooms beforehand?” I spat.

“Who knows, child? Anyways, here’s the key.” The clerk said as she scooted it.

Nayoung went to grab it as I held her arm. “Lead the way, my consultant.”

“Stop holding my arm like that.” She sighed and went ahead.

Being hardheaded as I was, I still caught up to her and held her arm again. We were about to walk when I heard another couple ask for a room.

“We only have one left.”

Nayoung would’ve refuted but I stopped her. We walked ahead until we stopped somewhere, just so that she could rant.

“What was that about?!”

“Aish, just stop it.” I added. “Let’s just go to our room.”

“Okay.” She nodded and went to hold my hand. “Let’s just say I didn’t hear anything.”

I chuckled of this woman as we finally go to our room.

••••••••••

I walk around the streets of Seoul, stopping myself at a bridge. I look at the view of the evening, all the while I had my hat in my head. Black. My favorite color. Looking at the said view, sudden memories came into my head. I would’ve stumbled, almost flipping out of what my mind had to offer but I held onto the railing.

Why was I seeing some memories of the past? And why was I seeing Kyulkyung in them?

*ring*

I huffed and got my phone, seeing Kyulkyung’s picture and name flash the screen. Ever since we got part of a series, we got to know each other and exchanged numbers. I wonder why she was calling me at this hour as I sighed and answered. “Hello?”

Nayoung, we need to talk.

“Why? Is something wrong?” I asked.

I was having sudden thoughts. You were in them.

“Me too.” I answered.

We should meet at the tea house. I can’t live on peacefully with the thoughts lingering in my head ever since we met.

I faced the same predicament when I first met Kyulkyung. I thought it was just mere dreams but the occurrence lasted too long. Maybe meeting with Kyulkyung could end these thoughts. “Same. Shall we meet now?”

Yes.

+++

I was earlier in the tea house. It was closing time yet I requested the owner for me and Kyulkyung to be her last customers. I thanked the Almighty for her kindness and I got to a table and waited.

The clinking of the bell was heard and I saw Kyulkyung get inside, looking almost frail as an infant. Just by looking at her, I saw white but as the reality came back, it made me tear up. I saw Kyulkyung in the same state as she got to where I am and sat face to face with me.

“I’m sorry for the bother.” She spoke. “The thoughts haven’t gone away. And by looking at you, I’m starting to get answers.”

“Me too.” I answered.

“I think I had a past life. I was a murdered Queen.” She began.

“Me too. And I was the Empress who murdered the Queen.” I spoke.

“I had another…” She began to tear up. “…and I was the destined human…”

“Me too…” I joined her in tears. “…and I am your deity…”

“Now we have this one. No wonder we met. I guess it was destined.” She lets her tears drop as she chuckled.

“Me too. No wonder I missed you. The Almighty has ended Her game for us.” I finally spoke and chuckled with her. “And no wonder I had this ring.”

I held her hand and put the jade ring on her finger. “I’ve always wanted to put it in properly, just this once. I’m so sorry that I forced it on at that time.”

“You were just a lost woman in hate. It’s understandable.” Kyulkyung said. “We had the tragedy…now would this be the happy ending that we have sought?”

“It is.” I answered.

“Was Sejeong the God really my sister? And Chungha was her destined human?” She added. “Where could they be now?”

“They should be living happily wherever they are. Now, we’ll be happy too.” I answered as I held her hand. “Who knows…maybe we’ll meet them soon?”

We could only exchange chuckles, had a little tea, and got out holding hands. I lead her, all the while I looked back as she was walking and smiling at me.

I was at glee. So much for the petty games of memories. But to the least, I finally got to have the happy ending with my tragic love.

••••••••••

The time flew so quickly. From the acting, to the time in the hotel, up to this point where the two of us are enjoying coffee, it had consumed most of it. Nayoung and I developed something unexpected but it felt as if it was destiny. I look at her sipping her drink and lowering her head like the timid person she was and I decided to cease this meeting.

“So…what are we going to do?” I asked.

She heard me as she stopped sipping her drink and looked up. “What do you mean?”

“Couldn’t you say the usual stuff? Couldn’t you ask me that we should date and meet up regularly? Couldn’t you even say that you like? Couldn’t you even say those words to me?”

“Kyulkyung…”

“When will you even say them? Aren’t you going to?” I pouted.

“Should I be saying that first?” Nayoung asked back.

“Oh, should I?” I pointed at myself. “That’s unusual. I’m the woman in this relationship and the main actress. Aish…” I huffed as I sipped my drink. “…how annoying it is that I liked you first.”

“Who said that you liked me first?” Nayoung asked.

“Everyone does. Why? Are they all wrong?”

“Yes, they are.” Nayoung answered.

“How in the world?” I whined.

“I liked you first.” Nayoung answered and I was flustered. “And remember…” She pointed at my finger. “…it’s destined. The one who likes the other first won’t matter.”

I sighed and looked at my jade ring. I looked at Nayoung’s neck and it had a necklace with a dagger for its stone. Seeing those reminded me of us and she was right.

We were royalty and we were in love but circumstances were killers. Nayoung may have done something wrong in the past life and that I couldn’t live onto that life but hearing her say those words made me conclude that no matter the wait, we will always be destined for each other.

“Consider that as my confession that sounds like a statement.” Nayoung added.

I was even more flustered. I could only chuckle and keep a straight face towards Nayoung. “Goodness…just one early step and I could’ve sworn I liked you first.”

I got a box, putting it on the table as I lent my hand. “Nayoung, give me your hand.”

She nodded and got her hand. I held it closer, opening the box of two bracelets with gold engraved on it. I got the black one and wore it on Nayoung. I got the white one when Nayoung held onto it and put it on my wrist.

Unlike the past wherein she forced her ring on me, this time, she was gentle as she puts the bracelet on me.

“What is this anyway?” Nayoung asked.

“Consider it as a historical handcuff.” I said. “We were in a tragic destiny as monarchs in the past but as time went by, that destiny came into a brighter picture which allowed my heart to get stolen by you.”

I saw Nayoung look at the design. I grab it and pointed it at the stone. “See this white and red stone with a skull? It indicates a special deity by the Almighty, a Grim Reaper to be exact.”

“Isn’t this a bribe?” Nayoung asked.

“It is. Now…” I showed mine with a jade stone, a sign that I was her destined human. “…arrest me.”

Nayoung stood up and inched closer, catching me off guard in a sudden kiss. I feel her break as I grinned. “Now that the Stone Grim Reaper and her destined human have met, is this our first day together?”

“You could say that again.” Nayoung mumbled and kissed me again.

I kissed back and I was happy. Who knew the tragic ending that we once thought turned into a happy one?

===

That was Chapter 4.

@Agyusshi: Damn, my bae, you won two times in a row. Congratulations.

@lightningmeiqueen: wassup’, my child. It’s correct in a way but it was answered already in the first update, hence the first chapter. *I’m giving you a hint now time to get that head noggin onto some deep ideas*

Special mention to @Damasco. You would’ve gotten the update correct it you answered it again for this interval.

Now, I have an announcement to make:

THIS STORY WILL ALMOST END SO...BYE.