하나님 (Chungha • Sejeong)

Idol [HIATUS]

===

I wouldn’t have believed in the Almighty. They say that for she loved the world she gave out the begotten one but in reality, it’s all a hoax. From what I see in this world, it’s full of hopelessness, chaos, and ruin. And in my case as a person living in this forsaken world, what did the Almighty ever do for me? Why would I praise an oh-so-powerful being when she herself is self-centered?

But I ate my words. They say if one person is driven with the temptation of disbelieving the Almighty, she turns into a serval of her, almost like the God who was the fire, the water, the earth, the wind, and the light and the darkness. And in fact, I became that God.

But like some deities, I started at life wherein I was in a species of living things known for their knowledge. In short, I was a mere human, a player of the stringed instrument and a preacher of atheism, which was a threat to the society I lived before. I was having dinner with my sister when a slam on the door greeted us. I sighed. I looked at my sister who was crying silently. I went towards her and kissed her forehead. “Go and hide. And whatever they ask you, tell them that you don’t know me. You must deny me not once, but many times.”

“Unnie…”

“Kim, we know you’re in there! Come out, you little spawn of the devil!” I heard a soldier yell.

“Joo, you need to go back.” I whispered. 

She had no choice and ran back. With the place secluded, I’m sure she’ll go far and she won’t be caught by these soldiers. I welcome them as they slammed the door open, beat me up, and took me to the Empress. As I was brought in the palace, I saw the Empress looking stone cold at me but her Queen was always giving the pitiful look.

“We got the atheist, Your Highness.” The soldier said.

“So…this is the one that thinks the Almighty doesn’t exist…” The Empress speaks. “…she’s a threat indeed. What right does she have to question and defy her power? You, Kim…” The Empress draws her arm to the side. “…must go!!”

I sigh again. I felt the soldiers beat me again as I was forced to kneel before the Empress and her Queen. I was pulled away from them and faced a crowd who sees me as a mess that needs to be ridden off of this world.

Some threw stones at me, some mocked me, and some grew terrified like I was the devil. I was beaten, whipped, and I was even made to wear a crown of thorns and walk through rocky grounds, basking in the heat of the sun. And during the walk, I got the same amount of torture like the ones I had when I was shown to the people. 

The walk lasted for hours and during each step, I could almost die. I would’ve not survived another second. I could’ve died by then but I will never know why I was still alive in the midst of death. Nonetheless, my thoughts couldn’t wander any longer as I was facing another crowd, worse than the first ones. The walk stopped by a little stage and I just collapsed by the stairs.

“Get up, you monster!!” I felt a hard hit on my back.

I huffed, coughing blood again. I was forced to get up as two soldiers pinned my arms together. I saw someone with two weights and a hammer. I saw her slam my hands down and nailed each weight onto each hand. I huffed and screamed on the top of my lungs. A punch lands its way to my face as I saw a noose. I was pulled back up again and the events played itself. By the looks of it, I felt the noose on my neck.

I would’ve thought only these people would witness. But then, I saw the carriage of the Empress and the Queen. Everyone bowed, especially when the Empress and the Queen came out. I couldn’t see much due to the intense bleeding but I could feel the Queen’s urge. She wanted to cry, to stop this, and to hug me and to bring me back home. But I’m the mess here, not her. She can’t stick to me. She needs to remain clean. 

The Empress raises a hand and everyone felt silent. The soldiers were getting ready to kick my chair off. I felt the weight and it brought me down a bit, making my breath hitch.

“Kim…for your act of treason in the art of atheism, you shall face the consequences of your action through execution.” The Empress swings her arm to the side one more time. “Kill her! That’s an order!!”

I saw Joo’s tears, the people rejoicing to the Empress, and the weight falling with the chair. I got a glimpse of the sky and in a snap, I was gone…

Is this my punishment for my defiance towards you?

+++

2000 years. I faced life for 2000 years.

I’ve seen and known everything. I’ve also seen people, changed their lives, and seen them come and go. I could only sigh as I was at the top of the building, drinking beer.

How did I get in here? Well, it seems the hoax was true…

2000 years ago, I died of execution. My body was left hanging for days. The noose hugged my neck, the weights became rusty staying onto the granite floor, and my head hung low as the showering blood finally dried. The place where I was hung was left with no one. But then, it all changed thanks to the deity that I refused to believe in.

People that have been a part of your mission have saved you but you have defied me. You stained the minds of those people and even rerouted your enemies in a path I didn’t expect them to go: a path of misconception. You shall be like me, a provider, a healer, and a redeemer. I will show to you what I am meant to do. For I love the world that I give out my begotten one…

The noose was cut and I fell. Then again, I rose to my feet, seeing the divine colour of green surrounding me. I walked, dragging the weights that became light like feathers of an angel. 

…and you’re the one, the heaven and the earth, the beginning and the end…

I broke the stage and created a crack on the granite floor, coursing towards the temple, tearing the curtains into two.

…for you…

I looked at the bright sky but in reality, it was night…

…are the God.

And 2000 years after, I’m still living. I do the godly stuff as I was left with thoughts and whispers of men. And one particular whisper caught my attention. I gulped my drink and teleported to the spot. There was a woman, laying onto her pool of blood from a torturous car accident. 

She begged and begged. I would’ve just let her live but there was something peculiar. Something in me said that I cannot meddle with this mortal. Also, I doubt she’s begging for her own life.

“Please…at least…my baby…” She cried, holding her stomach.

With her last breath, I sighed, looking up. I glimpsed at the dead body as I said. “Luckily, you came face to face with the God. And besides…” I crouched and held her forehead. “…no one should die tonight.”

As the woman breathed, I got out of sight. I pictured out the Stone Grim Reaper as she came too late. I put a hand on my forehead but I can’t do anything about it because what’s done…is done…

••••••••••

I am Kim Chungha, a human who has walked the shiity pave of life as years have gone. I am now in my third year in college at the university. I could ponder to the deity of my life. I have been suffering. When I found out that my aunt and my cousins had bad attitudes, it was almost like I’m in living hell. To sum it up, I didn’t have friends due to the fact I can see the unseen, ‘ghosts’ as they call it.

I was at the canteen, eating a lot of food. After that was the usual schedule of school and in the rainy afternoon, I walked home. I was listening to a catchy song, distracting myself from a whisper of the unseen. It lasted for a while but a face she made, I flipped out.

“I knew it. You do see me. Hey…” She stops me. “…have you heard that you’re a destined human?”

“What the…that’s ridiculous…” I mumbled.

“It’s true. They say that the Almighty creates deities to do good for the world and they all have their destined humans. You, in particular, are the destined human of the God.” The ghost grinned.

“Stop smiling. It doesn’t suit you.” I mumbled again. “Now why would I be a destined human? I don’t believe that at all, let alone believing in the God.”

“It is…” I wonder as she spoke that and froze. “Sorry, Your Greatness!”

She vanished. I wonder again. “What was that?”

I shrugged, put my earphones back on, and walked again. I took slow steps when I slowed down, seeing a person that caught my eye.

She had an umbrella and dressed elegantly, almost like God. I would’ve thought she was the reason why that ghost apologized and vanished all of a sudden. But screw that. I don’t believe in the God nor anything else. I could only pass by her as I go throughout my own course of life.

••••••••••

A God would never contemplate but as I got to my home, I wonder why I’m contemplating right now.
I recalled that walk in the rain. I was sad and so was the weather. The steps I took were so precious and I felt time stop when I saw a person that caught my eye. Seeing her, blurry memories of the future played as I looked intently at the woman, wearing her uniform and hoodie. But seeing deeper onto her soul, she was like me in the modern world: a novice on atheism.

“What troubles you, Your Greatness?”

I felt some candles were lit up. I looked up, seeing a very important person that became a part of my life for she had been a good friend. “Haebin-ah…”

Han Haebin was a part of a line of the Han family, a family that helped me spread the word of the Almighty. Her ancestor was an atheist like me and she was the only one to witness my resurrection. With the incident, she believed like me. She devoted herself to serve me until the ends of time. Her family shared the same legacy and Haebin was the latest line-up from her family to serve me after her grandmother died two years ago.

“What are you doing in the dark?” She asked.

“Aigoo…it’s nothing, Haebin-ah. I was just lost in thoughts.” I answered.

She shows me my passport and a suggested place in Canada. I also got to see the house I’ll be staying in. I sighed. “Haebin-ah…I’m not so sure…”

“Time is inevitable, Your Greatness. You taught me that. If you leave at any time, I won’t get to see you for a lifetime.” Haebin said.

“I know, Haebin-ah…” I said as I looked at her. “With the rest of the days, I thank you for everything…”

Haebin could only bow at me, just like how her ancestor did before. 

+++

Being a deity, you could almost do anything you wish. One of them would be teleportation like right now, I got a door open and I was back at the place of my death. The stage that stood was already gone and it replaced a large garden of white flowers, which was a tribute to the Almighty herself. But then, Haebin’s ancestors built a little bench dedicated for me. It would’ve been burned down but they kept it because I’m the God. I sat on it comfortably and I pondered again.

I recall all that I said to Haebin about leaving. The reason of that is about the thing on destined humans.

Another thing they say was that the Almighty created deities for certain purposes. Like any deity, we were fallen humans. She picks on a worthy person to take sufferings but at the end of that rainbow, the deity has a destined human that’ll help the deity end all sufferings. Haebin had her support and worries for that. In my case, I got a blurry glimpse of her in my future thoughts and a hunch when I passed the hooded girl by the street on a rainy day.

But by the looks of it, she doesn’t believe in the Almighty. She doesn’t believe me either. 

Pacing around the garden carrying a nice bunch of white flowers made me wonder of what I’m doing. I continued to contemplate when…

When I turned four, I decided not to do it again but please understand…

I sigh. I got another prayer. But wait! Why do I only hear her prayer? 

Please let me find a job, do something about my aunt’s family and please, please, please…help me find a girlfriend…

I stopped pacing as I didn’t hear any other prayers but only to this woman’s. 

A dime would suffice. Just please…please end my misery…

A sudden gush makes its way to me. I look at my hands with the bouquet and I noticed that I was fading. The next thing I know, I was at the bay and there sat a woman wearing a hoodie that I was almost familiar with. 

I got another look. I sighed. 

It was the human…the destined human…

“Was it you?” I asked.

I startled her after she was crying her pleas. I couldn’t see her face before but seeing the golden hair and the hamster-like cheeks, I felt a little tickle by my chest. Maybe it’s the Almighty saying that I finally found the one. But then, I had to be sure.

“Me?” She asked, pointing to herself. “Are you talking to me?”

“Yes, you.” I answered. “Was it you?”

“What?” She raised an eyebrow.

“Did you call me?” I asked again. “How did you do it?”

“Me? I didn’t call you.” She answered back.

I was insistent to know how she did that but she denies it. Then again, she answers. “Desperation?” She sighed. “Look, I didn’t call you. I just see you. Because one time at the street, we saw each other. Our eyes met by mistake…” She looks at me. “…it was you, right?”

“What do you mean, you can see me?” I asked again.

“You’re not a ghost nor a lost soul but you’re one of the unseen. I can see the unseen.” She said.

“Okay…but yeah, I’m not a ghost-“

“They say that during their first phases in the nether world.” She said again.

“But usually the unseen can see almost anything inside a mortal but why I do not see anything that I should normally see in you?” I asked.

“Well, what would you see?” She questions.

“The future and what not.” I answered.

“I must have no future.” She smiles sadly. “Anyways, were you some sort of shaman before you died? A merchant? A con woman?” She sighs. “Future, my . The Almighty is too self-centered to ever give me a future.”

“What? What did you say?” I was confused.

“If I were you, go to a good place. A soul like you shouldn’t wander off for too long.” She smiled then looked down. “But what’s with the flowers?”

“Now why would you ask now? You just told me to leave.” I batted.

“Fine. Go then.” She sighed as she shooed me off. 

“They’re white lilies.” I answered.

“That’s not what I mean.” She chuckled. “What I mean is why are you holding them?” She lends a hand. “Give them to me. It doesn’t suit you.”

“Wow, seriously?” I chuckled back.

“You can give them to me because it’s my birthday today…” She said, looking sadly at me. “…a very depressing birthday.”

It sounded too sad. I didn’t want to make her feel bad so I gave her the flowers. When she accepted them, I felt at ease in a way I can never explain. 

“Hmm…I always get white things on my birthday.” She mumbled as she held the petals softly. “At age four, I got cotton. When I reached nine, I got white roses…but what do white lilies mean?”

“Humility and devotion.” I answered.

She looks at me with those eyes as the waves crashed and the cold eastern wind blew. I sighed, remembering that I got into this place because of her prayer. “Why were you crying? A job, your Aunt’s family, and a girlfriend. Which of the three?”

“How did you know that?” She asked.

“I heard you.” I answered. 

“How can you hear me?” She asked again.

I sighed. “Let’s just say I’m an unseen who hears sincere prayers and grants them when needed be.”

“Omo-you grant wishes? Like Genie or a guardian?” She asked, I nodded, and she clapped. “Awesome! No wonder you heard me and you seemed different from all the unseen that I have seen for the past 21 years.” Her smile grew wider. “Are you really my guardian?”

“I never said I was.” I answered. 

“Eomma used to tell me that every person has a dictionary. But for me, the words “happy” and “luck” aren’t found, no matter how hard I look onto it.” She mumbled. “You understand what I mean, right?”

“No.” I shook my head.

“I mean, could you give me 101,000 dollars or something? If it’s difficult, maybe winning numbers for the lottery? Something like that.” She said again.

“Well, you might have to say goodbye to your aunt’s family for a while. Work hard as a waitress in a Chinese restaurant. You’ll get it eventually.” 

It was my last straw with her for now as I walked away and vanished.

••••••••••

Meeting with the said unseen was unexpected but I could cuss of her sudden diasppearance, my pleas left along with the gush of the winds. Anyways, I went on with my usual walk of life but the memories with the white lilies and the mysterious being added onto it. I was shocked because I never thought any guardian nor any being answers my prayers. My life has been hell so why would anyone bother to hear my cries of misery?

Then again, something in me ignited as I went out of town, searching for the said Chinese restaurant that will land me a job. As the course of the day went by, I wasted my energy, my words, and even bottles of water. I lost hope and in the end, I got to a bench and sat down, cussing.

“Damnit, it was all a hoax. A guardian? Hah, guardian my …” I threw the bottle onto the bin but I was forced to pick it up and throw it properly because I missed. “Aigoo…if only I got her number.”

A man passed by, throwing something on the bin that it caused a fire. I gasped, grabbing the water bottle and poured out the contents. It wasn’t enough to put the fire out so I blew it. 

“I knew it was you.”

“Omo!” I gasped, almost falling.

I looked up, seeing the woman from before. I sighed. “Yah, why do you keep following me?”

“I did not. You called me.” She answered.
 
“I did not.” I denied. “If I had such an ability, why am I suffering like this? Like how would I call you? Would I even ring a bell? Do you see me with one?”

“Yah, why ask me?” She asked.

“Because you keep insisting where in fact, I didn’t call you.” I answered. “But seriously, are you my guardian? If you are, what kind of guardian are you? Are you a concerned one or a shameful one? And about all you said to me, nothing has happened! You got my hopes too high!” 

“Hey, do you even know what you’re doing to me-“

“No.” I batted. “I never called you.”

“It’s you! I’m sure of it. This never happened before.” She battled back.

“Was it really me?” I asked. “If I did that, what do you see in me?”

I smiled lightly. The woman in front of me wondered, scratching her head as she answers. “You’re wearing a uniform with a red hoodie.”

“What else?” I asked.

“You’re pretty for a person with hamster-like cheeks.” She added, making me grin. “I mean the uniform. Your uniform is pretty.”

“Aigoo…” I mumbled beyond my breath. “Is that all?” I asked again. “Do you see wings or anything unusual? Because I may be a fairy.” I poke my left cheek. “Like Tinker Bell.”

She sighed and vanished. I sighed too, adding a scratch on my head. “I was joking…” And then it hit me. “Oh no, I didn’t get her number! Aish!!”

+++

Meeting the mysterious being took a toll into me that I went to church. I could hear the priest saying prayers to the Almighty and to the God as I joined them. When the mass ended, I lit up a candle and blew it, wondering if what the mysterious being said was true. When she appeared wearing all black and looking around the church, I smiled.

“I got it! I know how to call you now.” I said to her.

“Okay…” She spoke. “…but did you really have to call me here?”

I noticed her looking at the statue of the Almighty and of the God and it made her cringe. 

“Are you scared?” I asked her. “They’re self-centered but the priest says they’re nice.”

“Don’t flatter them. You question divinity yourself.” She said.

“I’m just trying to figure things out.” I reasoned. 

She walked away. I wonder. She can just teleport out of here.

“If you’re wondering why, I can’t do that here. Churches are my DMZ. And please don’t follow me.” She said, raising an arm.

“What will you do about my wishes? You didn’t grant any of them.” I asked. 

“Don’t ask about it again. I’ll take care of your job soon.” She answered.

“What I really mean is my wish of having a girlfriend.” I spoke and she stopped. 

“Well, you work that out yourself.” She faced me and left the church.

I sighed again. It would’ve been almost offensive to react in a sacred place but I couldn’t help it.

“Yah, you shouldn’t treat me like this.” I said.

Then again, some force in the universe gave me hope as I was eager to call her again sooner or later.

••••••••••

I was getting ready for an important matter when I was teleported to another part of the city. I saw the girl from the church and I put a hand on my forehead. She faces me and cheered lightly.

“I never thought candle-blowing apps could work for you.” She said.

“Then why did you do that?” I asked.

I didn’t have time for this so I had to go again when she held my hand, telling me to wait. My eyes dilated as I felt the green flame around our hands. By the looks of it, she was nullifying it. But then, those blurry memories from before hit me and they became clearer. Now, I wonder if this woman is indeed the destined human…

I faced her and she was still holding my arm this time. “Did you just grab me?”

She got her hold off of me and blew her hands. “I couldn’t hold it any longer. That burned a little…” She huffed. “It would’ve been cold since it was a bluish-green…”

“Don’t you know that blue flames are the hottest?” I asked her. “You should really study.”

“Yah…” She walked with me. “…I was always at the top of my class, even since Eomma passed away. Here’s the thing…” She kept on following me and it was getting through my nerves. “…instead of being my guardian, can you just give me 101,000 dollars and go away?”

“Can’t do that…I have an errand to attend to.” I answered.

“What errand? By the looks of what you’re wearing, you look formal.” She said.

“Tomorrow is the death anniversary of someone I know.” I answered again.

“Then why are you leaving today?” She asked again.

“Because it’s already tomorrow over there.” I answered again.

“So when are you coming back? Tomorrow or the day after that?” She kept on asking. “Well, don’t go yet. I still need to ask you.”

“Then hurry up and ask.” I said, stopping.

We both stopped and faced each other. I was hoping that this woman can just ask and go. 

“Well, this question might be strange so please don’t misunderstand.” She spoke.

“I couldn’t care less. Just ask me.” I said, sighing.

“I had many guesses on who you are. I would’ve thought you were Stone Grim Reaper herself or the space alien. You don’t look like the PenSang either but one thing I know is that you’re not a ghost nor a lost soul. So out of all the thinking, I had my hunch.”

“What is that hunch?” I asked.

“That you’re the God herself. You almost looked like that statue in the Church plus you heard my prayers.” She answered then asked. “Are you by any chance, the God?”

“What are you? Seriously, what are you?” I asked back.

“And it’s awkward to tell you this but…” She gulped. “…I’m your destined human…”

I would’ve been gasping. But hearing this woman that she can see ghosts, I had my speculation to a minimum. But when she showed me her mark on the neck, it hit me. 

The woman I saved from before was her mother…and the life she wanted to save was the one in front of me. I think this is what the Almighty was saying. Could it be true now? Could this woman be the destined human?

I pulled her up to face me. “Prove it.” I told her. 

“Do you want me to prove that I’m the destined human of the God?” She asked again.

“Yes.” I nodded.

“How? What? Do you want me to levitate or change myself into an inanimate object?”

“Go and do it.” I said.

“I’m serious here.” She batted.

“And so am I.” I said back. “Tell me what you see.”

She snickered. “So…let me get this straight…” I grinned as I pointed at her. “…you’re hitting on me.”

“Just tell me everything that you see.” I demanded.

“Well you’re taller than me, you wear expensive clothes, and you’re in the mid-20s, almost the same age as I am.” She answered.

“Anything else?” I asked again.

“You want me to say you’re pretty?” She asked back. 

“Your answers are not what I’m looking for.” I said seriously. “If that’s the case, you’re not the destined human of the God. If you wonder why you’re suffering in this life, that’s because you have no value to the God. I’m sorry if you have to see ghosts but cherish the live you have now. Because to be completely honest…” I inch closer to her. “…you’re a result of the interference of life as it is.”

I could see her in tears. I would’ve felt mercy in this person but I decide not to.

“What if I don’t want to cherish this life?” She asked.

“Then you die when you die.” I answered.

“Hey, how can you say that? I’ll ask you again.” She batted. “Are you the God?”

“No.” I answered.

“Then what authority do you have to say that to me? Who are you to judge?” 

“Because I’m concerned of you and you wanted to live better by just a tiny bit.” I answered. “So…live in reality because you’re not the destined human of the God.”

I left her, going through a door and got myself in Canada. I would’ve gone to the said place when I gasped as the human also followed me. 

“Yah!” I exclaimed. “How did you follow me?”

“Well, I haven’t done talking to you.” She said back. “And to answer your question, I just went through the door and…” She stopped and looked around. “…where are we?”

“Canada.” I answered.

“Canada…” She mumbled. “The maple country?! We’re in a foreign country?”

I was about to ask her again when she went off. I sighed because I had no option but to follow her and hoping to get her back to Korea.

It was almost phenomenal to find out that I went with the mysterious being in a foreign country. Nonetheless, she was too overwhelmed that she wandered off, checking the surroundings. I followed her but then, she nudged me, making me shocked.

“Wow, I didn’t know you could do this~” She cheered.

“You did too. Seriously, what are you?” I asked again.

“If we’re really in Canada and you can do something like this, I made a decision.” She answered.

“And what would that be?” I asked.

“I’ll marry you.” She said, her confidence as high as space. “I really think you’re the God herself and I am your destined human.” She made a heart gesture to me. “I love you."

It hit me. I picture out the first time we met and the unexpected thing that could happen to me. I never thought the Almighty could express this to me at this point in time.

••••••••••

It would’ve been abrupt to say that to a person you barely knew. But she’s no person. She’s the God herself. I would’ve eaten my words but knowing that I was said to be the destined human, all the Almighty did in this world finally make sense.

And by the looks of her, she was flattered. I flash a cheeky grin as I nudge her again. “You’re acting like you heard it the first time.”

“Stop that.” She said.

“And you’re not turning me down, hahaha…” I laughed. “Okay…let’s go~ this would be our honeymoon~”

I ran off and I would know that she would be chasing after me. We went off to every part I could run into and the cute God was following me like a concerned grandma. We got inside a shop, the owner greeting me a ‘Merry Christmas.’

“Merry Christmas.” I greeted back.

I looked back, seeing her. I smiled at her and went closer to her, showing my phone. “I want to remember this precious moment so can you take a picture of me? Now…” I show her how to use it. “…just press this button and-“

“I know.” She sighed.

“I’m surprised…” I mumbled then ran off. “Take my picture after three-“

“Three.” She mumbled and took a picture then threw my phone up.

I gasped as I caught it. I sighed hard as she went out again. “Come on~ wait for me~”

+++

The both of us walked by the maple trees as the leaves fell on the pavement like a red carpet I am privileged to walk onto. Not only that, the God was walking with me so that adds up to my special privileges.

“What does that sign mean?” I asked.

“Real fairies come here.” She answered while walking casually.

“Well, you’re lucky because you found one.” I stopped her as I pointed at myself, just by my cheek.
 
“Riiight…” She mumbled and walked on.

“What city is this?” I asked.

“Quebec.” She answered.

“Wow, even the name is nice. You know, when you catch a falling maple leaf…” I began as I reached for one.

The leaves fall ever so smoothly but I never get to catch one. I saw one that I’m eager to catch when I saw another hand. I looked to the side and the God caught the said maple leaf. I reached it but her arms were too long. 

“You caught it. Throw it away~” I whined but she still held onto it.

“Why do you want to catch it? And why should I throw this one away?” She asked.

“If you catch a falling maple leaf, you’ll fall in love with the person you’re recently with.” I answered.

“Please…you just made that up.” She snickered.

“No, I did not.” I harrumphed. “It’s just the same thing about marrying your first love if you catch a petal of the cherry blossom.”

“You said that you loved me.” She said and I gulped as I realized it.

“I meant that I loved the God. Are you the God?” I asked.

“I’m not.” She spoke, her hand still raised.

“That’s why throw it away or let me have it!” I said as I reached for it again and again. “Because I was walking with a cute woman, like me.” 

“A cute woman?” She asked as she looked back.

Her arms went down and I got my chance to grab the maple leaf away from her. She looked back at me and I held the leaf surely. She went to the opposite direction and I walk with her again. Sure, it was almost annoying for her and hectic for me but knowing that she denies that she’s the God, it made my happy heart eager to get the fact from her herself.

The next stop was at the hotel. I wonder why the woman was taking me here. “Why a hotel? We may be on a foreign country but you can’t take a student in here.”

“Don’t get that kind of thought. I just want you to wait here because I really need to go to my errand.” She said.

“Where are you going? Can I tag along?” I asked.

“Just wait here…” She sighed.

“Can you lend me ten dollars?” I asked, lending a hand.

“What? You think I’ll leave you here?” She asked back. “Just wait here. You can just summon me if needed.” She said.

I could only nod and sit by the lobby as she went out. As I looked around, I would’ve been like a lost kid but her words gave me at ease. I held my chest and smiled because she’ll come back. Or maybe…I’ll call her later…or I’ll go to her…

••••••••••

I’m the God….

I would’ve admitted but why would a powerful deity admit herself to a mere mortal?  I mean, I decide the course of life whenever I want to. I could just find out about the woman straight away and just vanish onto this world and be at peace. But why is the Almighty playing with our lives?

Anyways, I was at a special cemetery, paying respect to Haebin’s great ancestors that have served me throughout the 2000 years of my existence. At the center of almost ten stones was mine, made in the 18th Century dedicated to my death on that noose and an attempt to get rid of weights and the noose. It was the death anniversary of Haebin’s grandmother and I came to place white lilies on her grave and sat to meditate lightly of everything she did for me.

With that comes all the torment in life. I lived every moment for all those years. I begged numerous times, taking back every word that I said about the Almighty, and ask for forgiveness. But she turns onto the deaf ear for a reason of justice. Going against it wouldn’t help me. In the end, I will live a life of eternal suffering. It would’ve been a blessing but it the end, it’s the Almighty’s punishment to me.

“How have you all been? Are you all well?” I asked. “Mind me if Haebin couldn’t visit but she has always given her regards to you all. Don’t worry of your master for I am still alive. Even if I’m not well, please don’t worry about me…”

Specks from a dandelion blew towards me. I looked to the side, seeing the woman. I sighed of her coming here but to the least she found me. A part of me would’ve scolded her but most of it felt at ease that she came here.

“Found you.” She said.

She even had a lollipop on . I sighed as I got up. “I told you to behave.”

“I did. You didn’t even know I was here.” She spoke then looked at the stones. “Is this the errand you’re talking about?”

“Yes. I was about to leave when you came here.” I answered.

“This is you, right?” She asked, pointing to the stone on the center. “Did you even tried taking your life for many times?”

“I don’t know. I didn’t keep count.” I answered.

I watch her look at my stone and bowed. “Hello. I’m Kim Chungha. I have been your destined human and I’ll be your bride now and forever.”

“No.” I said.

“I guess not.” She sighed. “Even if a million years will pass, you’re still beautiful. You have a mean attitude sometimes but don’t worry. You’re doing well. I’ll go now.” She bows again and motioned me to come. “Let’s go.”

I could look at this woman but then, I followed her.

+++

Night in Quebec came and we still walked around. She would stop by and I wonder but saying that she wanted to walk with me side by side, I couldn’t care less.

“So…did you live here for a long time?” She asked.

“I’ve seen caves developed into huts then developed again to turn onto these hotels.” I answered. “I’d leave and come back again and again. Quebec was the first place I’ve settled in after I left my hometown.”

“Shame. You should’ve bought whatever stood on that spot and that hotel would’ve been yours.” She said.

I stopped and she looked at me with wandering eyes. But then, her look turned into one of shock. “Do tell me you…”

“I do…” I answered. “But what’s with you, woman?”

“Ahehehe…” She chuckled and got something from her pocket. “…do you want this?”

“Where did you even get that lollipop? You said you had no money.” I wondered.

“That’s why I stole it.” She grinned then forced it in my hand. “Here. Eat it quickly and get rid of the evidence.”

I sighed and ate the candy off of the stick. I made it disappear as I gulped it down. “I had to get rid of what’s wrong. Consider that as rinsing your little sin.”

“You’re so serious. It’s actually a gift from the lady. She took pity of me and gave me two. Now that one was for you.” She said.

“Huh?” I was still wondering yet I sighed. “Nevermind. Aren’t you late already?”

“For what?” She asked.

“School.” I said.

“What time is it in Korea?” She asked again.

“It’s 10 AM. Let’s go.” I said and went to a door.

Luckily, the woman followed me and as we got out, we were now exiting the Gyeongbokgung Palace.

“Is it me or I just got the best sleep of my life?” I faced her as she said that. “It feels like a dream going to a foreign country. I would’ve thought it was impossible but I got to go thanks to you. Thank you so much.”

She bowed once more and ran off like a little kid. I gaze at her from the distance as I felt something on my chest.

What is this feeling?

••••••••••

When I came back to school, it was already the third period. I got scolded by the faculty big-time and after that, I decided not to attend the rest of the classes because of it. I wandered around school, took stops onto the canteen and the library, then waited for my bus at the bus stop as evening came. Listening to my music, I got the brochure from Quebec and looked at it. Also, I got to have the maple leaf in the pages and I looked at it for a long time as memories of me in Canada flooded, together with the being that made it possible. Seeing her in my thoughts made my chest flutter.

And as always, the cocky of an aunt would scold me. For my cousins, they’re always self-centered and inconsiderate of what I do. My aunt always babbled about Eomma’s insurance, which to be completely honest, I didn’t know where it was, and she brings it up thinking I kept it. She’s such a hypocrite, to think she stole money from Eomma’s bankbooks before and she didn’t take care of me, treating me like a maid more than family.

A ruckus happened and they were all in the kitchen. I got my brochure and took some gimbap with me and went out. My Aunt kept on yelling but I couldn’t care less. I didn’t give a and I needed some fresh air.

I went up by the other building and munched onto my gimbap, with tears rolling down my cheeks of this misery. I flipped the pages of the brochure and the mysterious being came into mind. I shook my head and decided to go back home. But within the two hours of walking around, I just paced by the road, thinking a lot of things. As I walked, I was shocked to see the mysterious being. She was shocked too as she faced me.

“Yah! Why did you summon me? I had more matters to do, do you know that?” She spoke.

“I didn’t summon you.” I said.

“You did.” She points at me.

“I didn’t this time.” I said again.

“Did you think about me or not?” She asked.

I gulped. She was right about one thing. During those walks, my thoughts flooded on her.

“So…you did?” She inches closer and points again. “You know, you constantly thinking of me summons me and it’s tiring.”

“Is it really why you’re here?” I asked her.

“I’m not certain…but I can be sensitive with people’s thoughts so be careful.” She told me.

“I see…” I nodded and hung my head low. “I’m sorry…”

“What did you think exactly?” She asked again.

“I thought on how happy I was when I went to Canada with you. Also, with that thought, I thought of you too.” I answered. “I thought of what you wore, that you’re pretty, that you own the hotel, and that you almost have everything…but why?” I look at her. “Why is this woman so sad?” I sighed. “So yeah, that was I thought…”

“Okay?” She spoke. “But why are you wandering in the middle of the night?”

“Hey, how did you know?” I asked her, smiling.

“Well I wish I didn’t…” She mumbled.

“I’m waiting for the people to sleep because once they do, it’s hard for them to be woken up. I’ll go back home when I sleep and leave when they wake up. Usually they sleep around midnight.” I answered.

“So…you tell me that you’re going to wait around here until 12 AM?” She asked, almost flipping out. “If that’ll be the case, why don’t we walk together?”

“Really?” I asked.

“Don’t get the wrong idea.” She said and went ahead. “I’ll just walk with you to digest everything I ate.”

"Fine." I said, but then again, I walked with her.

••••••••••

Of all times to be summoned, why on the time I have dinner with some steak?

Here I am at some building, facing the human as I was eating some steak. Not only that, I had to be seen wearing pyjamas.

“Aigoo…you even had to eat an expensive steak…” She mumbled. “…yet you can’t give me 101,000 dollars.”

I munched my steak off and threw the fork far away from sight. “Yah…” I talked as I munched. “…you should’ve set some dates. At least we need to be civil when we see each other.”

“But your look is fine to me.” She shrugged.

“It’s not to me.” I said and gulped. “Did you think of me again?”

“You didn’t appear when I thought of you. Yet I won’t mind seeing you while promising our future.” I grinned. “I love you.”

I love you too…wait-what the ~~??!!!

I sighed and teleported off. And I scratch my head as she said something cute on how hungry she was.

+++

An unexpected thunderstorm makes its way to the city. Today’s thunderstorm spread across the country and people around are almost speculating of it as an unnatural phenomenon. Meteorologists have also issued heavy rains throughout the week. As roads will get slippery, traffic will also be heavy.

I was a wreck within this madness, all because of a mere mortal. This has got to be the stupidest thing that has happened in the history of deities that it’ll go down in the books. I was at my bed, crawling onto my knees like a crying kid.

As I contemplate and go through the state of depression, I had a vision. I jolted up again as I witness a scene that has triggered me.

I got my jacket and teleported to the spot.

+++

I got to park and I never thought I saw some dark mothering spirit as she decides to scare the hell out of people. But I never thought it had to involve the said destined human. In fact, I even wonder why I had that vision and why I had the instincts to come here.

“Hmmm…” It spoke as she looked at me. “…whom on earth are you with, human?”

I saw the woman looking at me as she ran to me and covered my eyes with her hands. “Close your eyes. Don’t look at her in the eyes! It's a demon!”

I was befuddled on the way a mere mortal would protect me against a lowly spirit. Nonetheless, despite of her heeds of concern, I put her hands down and pulled her behind me, my hand holding hers. I face her. “It’s fine.” I faced her. “I never thought you’d walk around here, you prick.”

“Oh...hahaha, it's you, Sejeong." The spirit cackled. "And what in the world are you doing?” She responded.

“Meddling between life and death…” I answered.

“What a mistake…” She hissed. “That woman is nothing to you, making her my target.”

I was so provoked that thunder and lightning plastered the heavens. I face her again and I need to get the fact onto her ty head.

Do I need to explain it to you? Don’t provoke the God, you demon. Be careful or else I’ll meddle with YOUR life and death!

“Let’s just go. There’s a way to get out of here.” The woman whispered as she pulled me but she couldn’t as I was rooted to the ground.

“It’s fine.” I pull her back close to me. “She won’t be able to take you because it wouldn’t matter even if she searches you for a lifetime...” I looked at Stone Grim Reaper. "...because no one can take the woman who wants to marry the God."

••••••••••

I gasped. I exchanged looks with the being and the spirit and I couldn’t believe a word. I was right all along. This being next to me was indeed the God.

“She will never take the woman who intends to marry the God, especially not on the God’s watch.” She spoke.

“T-That’s right!” I yelled. “It’s me. I’M the famous destined human of the God! What are you going to do? Are you still going to take me?!”

She sighs. “I can’t believe the God has found out my scheme. We’ll talk next time…” She points at me as I clutch onto the God’s arm. “…I’ll see you around. I hope we can run into each other without any more intrusions.”

She left. I was still clutching onto the God until the coast was clear. I look up to her and she gazes at me with those powerful eyes.

“Fire away. You seem to have a lot to say.” She said.

I move away and faced her, the fear and the deceit etched onto my features. “See? I knew that you’re the God. Why did you have to lie to be about that?”

“Because at first, I thought I won’t be seeing you again. But then you passed that door, a phenomenon that hasn’t happened before.” She reasoned.

“What about the times after that? Why did you keep on lying?” I batted.

“I had no need to correct myself because you were never and you will never be the destined human.” She answered again.

I sniffled on that fact again. But then, I had to ask. “Then what am I? Everytime I see the unseen, they always ramble that I was the destined human of the God. Some harass me and some cling to me if I deny. The Stone Grim Reaper said that I shouldn’t have lived when I’m alive and well today. So tell me…” I felt a tear drop. “…what am I?”

“I told you. That’s your burden. I am not an answer to your problems so don’t come to me and seek such answers.” She said.

“You’re such a jerk…” I cried softly. “Do you think I intended to marry the God? Be honest with me if there’s another reason! Am I not pretty? Am I not your type?”

“No.” She answered.

“Damnit, you always say that!” I yelled.

“You’re pretty.” She said, making me loss for words. “I’ve been living for two millennia. I’m not looking for someone pretty. I’m looking for someone who can see something in me. That’s why you’re not the destined human. It’s a sole reason why you have no value to the God, to me.

“Why do you have to be blunt with your words? Don’t you know they hurt?” I batted.

“Then don’t get hurt.” She said. “In fact, you should consider yourself lucky because if you did see something in me, you would’ve have resented me the moment you saw it.”

“Why tell me now?” I asked. “If that was the case, then you should’ve completely denied that you’re the God.”

“The same reason I told you why I’m not.” She answered. “Don’t summon me again with false hope. I’m leaving this place soon.”

I ask where. She just looked at me. I wonder why my heart aches of the fact that she’s leaving but who am I to care? I have no value to the God herself so why would I bother? “Nevermind. Don’t answer it because I’m not curious about it. Who says I truly was the destined human? I’m 21 years old with a life ahead of me.” I got mad. “Fine. I won’t summon you…because when have I truly needed you?”

I walked away because never in my life have I portrayed emotions to something that had no value in the first place. I was utterly pissed at myself. How in the world have I cared and high hopes on something that I refused to believe?

I looked back and the God was already gone. I sighed again, wiped my tears away and walked on.

I’m not the destined human and the God has no meaning in my life. Maybe it was truly that way…

+++

I went on with the normal life once more. From stopping to the city library searching kids’ book about the God to sleeping in the Chinese restaurant away from my aunt, I lived my life like that now. I would’ve been at peace without that blasted woman saying that she’s the God. But as I held my chest, I felt like crying shards of painful tears.

Why is she running in my head? Why am I so sad when I don’t matter to her? Why am I crying and feeling sad for her?

“ you, brain and heart…” I mumbled as I bury myself on the blanket. “…forget about her…”

You’re not the destined human. It’s a sole reason why you have no value to the God, to me…

"What a jerk." I mumbled as I slept.

••••••••••

The depression continued to sweep its way throughout the household. The other deities would stop by to visit but I took all the problems and mishaps I had. I'd mess around, even on dinners, throwing plates, forks and knives.

I don’t have it. I don’t know but my aunt has it…

Things on the table have levitated and clanked against each other. But then, I couldn’t help but hear a whisper, almost a desperation in prayer. Not only that, I had a vision again.

I don’t really know. My aunt has it. Why are you doing this to me? Let me out! I’ll report you to the police if you don’t!

“The destined human…” I mumbled. “Chungha…"

+++

I stopped by a road as a car was speeding towards me with the destined human inside with two dickheads. I was utterly pissed.

“Let’s give them a surprise, shall we?” I spoke.

I stopped that car and broke all streetlights. I let the car’s lights light up and I walked in front of that car, almost like on a runway. A part of me wanted to stay out of it but with my fuelling emotions, it can’t be stopped.

Because now, she needs me…Chungha needs me…

And for these dickheads, I’ll show them that they can’t mess with her.

“Who is that punk?” One of them asked. 

I sighed and broke the car’s flashing lights. Those bastards sped up their car but I broke the car in two. I dealt with a part where Chungha sat inside. Seeing Chungha cry inside, I slowed it down and stopped it. I saw her hoodie by the road and picked it up.

I passed by the door and Chungha was still crying. I opened the door and she gasped, her tears still visible.

“Get your things. Come on.” I said.

Chungha nodded and I helped her. She almost fell down when I held her tight so that she won’t fall. “Are you hurt? Where?”

“Yah…” She helped herself up and faced me. “How could you ask that when you cut that goddamn car in half?!”

••••••••••

I had been through a situation of an encounter with loan sharks. I thought I was going to die at some point but I never thought the God came to the rescue. After all the mishap, I ended up crying. I couldn’t even thank the God for saving me.

“Yah…how could you ask that when you cut that goddamn car in half?!” I asked the God. 

She didn’t say anything else as she puts my jacket on me. She even had to fix little strands of my hair, which really made my heart pump loudly.

“Wait here.” She said and went on.

“Wait!” I held her hand. “You won’t kill them, right?”

“No.” She answered.

“You always say that."

“I won’t kill them.” The God spoke. “I’ll just go and teach them a lesson and to let them know that I was angry so that they wish that they were dead.”

She went on towards that other half of the car, saying stuff. Once she w as done, we walked.

Half of me was grateful I lived yet another half was pissed. She's a deity, I was not. She can teleport, I cannot. So why didn’t she consider this before coming to the rescue?

“Did you not bring a car?” I asked them.

“No. I don’t take cars.” The God answered.

“Am I dead? Is this the road to the afterlife?” I asked out of the blue.

“It’s a mere road and I just saved you.” She answered again.

“Then will you kill me now?” I asked again. “Think about it. How could you bring yourself to the person who asked for another chance of living?”

“Be quiet!!” I heard the God yell.

I can’t believe she just did that. I could cry again. Why does the ing God have to be so harsh to me? Am I an abomination?

“Did you just yell at me? Why are you yelling at me?” I glared then screamed. “Why isn’t there a ing car in this ing road?!!”

I was so mad. In the end, I ended up huffing and storming as I walk ahead.

+++

I would’ve eaten alone to relieve myself from all that had happened but the God came with me. We were at the restaurant as we got served with some ddeokbokki. I turned the stove off as I faced the God.

“Why haven’t you left? I thought you were leaving.” I spoke.

“I will…soon…” She answered.

“*sigh*…don’t mind it. I couldn’t be curious of that…” I said.

“I know…” She nods.

“How did you come? I couldn’t light a fire and blow…” I mumbled.

“I don’t know. I just heard your cry for help, almost like a sincere prayer.” She answered.

“I just thought of that. I didn’t say anything.” I reasoned.

“Then you thought loudly.” She said.

I sighed. She really is the God for she answers my questions flawlessly and she always has something to say right back at me.

“You shouldn’t have come.” I said.

“I have no reason not to.” She answered.

“Well, I apologize. You had to waste time saving a woman who isn’t your destined human. I thought about it and you were right about me living in bonus time. From the unseen I’ve talked, I heard you saved Eomma and me 21 years ago. Even though I consider that, I’m still thankful that I got to see Eomma, even if it was only for four years. So…” I look at her. “…I have no reason to hate you anymore.”

“But you still do.” She spoke.

“I do not.” I defended. “I had to say this because I would’ve thought we’d never constantly meet after this.

“Seriously, you do hate me.” She said again and I shook my head.

“Listen…” I said. “I won’t do anything that can summon you so that you can go and leave, and meet someone nice who will actually discover your true self, not by face but the heart since you don’t care about looks.

I watch her nod. I looked at the ddeokbokki and sighed. “It’s cooked. Have a good meal. I need to go.”

“Wait.” She spoke and I stopped to face her. “Do I have to pay for this when I didn’t eat it?”

“Hey, you were the one who wanted to eat this.” I batted. “I didn’t have some because I don’t have any money.”

“Fine, I’ll pay. Just have some time with me. You can leave when you’re done eating.” She said.

It was somehow flattering yet I cannot assume. She motions me to sit back down and I did. But still, I wondered. “Are you trying to feed me by any chance?”

“Yes. It seems those bastards didn’t feed you since they kidnapped you.” She answered.

I didn’t want to. But with my growling stomach, I had no choice. She got some in a bowl and scooted it towards me. I sighed and ate wholeheartedly. She got some for herself and ate too.

“You still hate me…but please help yourself.” She said and resumed eating.

••••••••••

Days went by again. I was at the city library, reading a book when I felt myself being summoned by Chungha. Somehow, I had a smile on my face as I got to the destination. As Chungha faced me, I decided to act by reading the said book I was recently reading.

“Do you read?” Chungha asked.

“So much for a greeting. Well, I always have a book by my side and I play the guitar.” I mumbled as I went closer.

“I’m sorry to bother you from reading.” She apologized.

“Exactly.” I said, closing my book. “Why did you bother me?”

“It was a mistake. I accidentally burned squid so I had to blow it out.” She reasoned.

“Was it tasty?” I asked.

“Why are you even here? You said you were leaving.” She said.

“I was packing my books. Books come first.” I reasoned back. “I need to go and pack my books…”

“Hey-“

“Why do you talk when I’m about to leave?” I interrupted her.

“Idiot. You’re the one who’s leaving when I’m about to talk.” She batted. “I have to ask you something.”

“I’m not giving you 101,000 dollars.” I batted.

“I didn’t think of that. How eager are you at professing?” She spoke. “If you’re wondering, it’s because you’re assuming.”

I snickered. “Since when is it my fault?”

“Since when you told me that I needed to see something.” She answered. “So what is that thing I needed to see in order to be of good use to you?”

Is it time to say it? Well, I had to try. “If I tell you, will you tell me that you see it?”

“I won’t even if I can.” She answered back. “I thought of many possibilities. If I say yes, what would happen? Will you start being nice, treat me ddeokbokki, and give me 101,000 dollars? Also, you’d ask a lot and it will get into my nerves.”

“Wow.” I snickered again. “Never heard of that before…” I snap my fingers at her face. “Hey, listen to me when I’m taking to you.”

“Forget it…” She huffed and went on.

“Do you see something special in me?” I asked as I followed her.

“Yes.” She answered. “But like I said, I won’t tell you what I saw.”

“What do I have to do, then?” I asked desperately.

"Treat me something to eat." She said.

••••••••••

“I came here to tell you about the question you keep on asking me, if I see something.” She said. “What if I see it?”

“Why ask? You don’t see it.” I batted.

“Who says I don’t?” She asked back. “If I see it, one, will we get married? Two, will I get my 101,000 dollars, and three, will you not leave and just stay here?” She sighed. “Don’t go. Just stay.”

“Do you…” I mumbled. “…really see it?”

“What if I do?” She asked again.

“Prove it.” I demanded.

“But I want an answer from you first.” She said, making me sigh. “Just pick out of those questions.”

“You don’t see it.” I said directly.

“I see it. I really do.” She said. “And it’s not one thing…but two…” She points at my neck. “That noose…” Then she points at both my hands. “…and those nailed hands with weights by your feet.”

I gasped. As lightning struck, the noose and the said weights glowed a fiery greenish fire. I was still shocked. Now I got my answer.

It was indeed true. Kim Chungha is the destined human…my destined human…

The Almighty was right again…

“I’ve seen it ever since we passed by each other. I would’ve thought it was so scary but I couldn’t react when we met each other. It would’ve been rude.” Chungha said. “Now what does that make me? Am I still not your destined human?” She asks again. “Am I not?”

“I think you are…” I answered.

“So…” Chungha lowers her head lightly before looking at me again. “…am I of value to you now? Will you not go?”

“For now, Chungha…” I answered again. “Although if the time comes, I’d go even farther away.”

“What does that mean?” Chungha asked again.

“It just means that you’re the destined human…” I sighed. “Tell me…” I inched closer. “…why didn’t you say something before?”

“I already told you the first reason. Another reason was that I was scared of the aftermath of telling you. Plus, you hurt my feelings.” She answered.

I thought about it for a while. And when she asked me about a thing of being the destined human, I was taken back to reality. “Well…” I scratch my head. “…the first thing you need to do as my destined human…” She looks at me with hopeful eyes. “…is to wait here. I’ll be right back.”

She nodded lightly as she lowered her head. I sighed and went in. As I got to the living room, my mind and heart had gone twisted.

A part of me really wanted to end this torment of immortality and being a God. Another part was holding me back as I still wanted to live. It was almost weird. As a deity, I should never feel like this. I would’ve done anything I wish to stop this but why is there a force holding me back?

Is it because of Chungha?

••••••••••

"Chungha."

I got up as I was called by Sejeong. I saw her in front of me, glowing green and seeing the noose and weights by her body. It made me cringe and sigh in disapproval.

After the said confession of seeing those things, I stayed with Sejeong. And I had to stay. She offered this room and I had nowhere else to go.

But that paid the price of our relationship. We tried but it was always forced and Sejeong only wanted me to get the noose and weights off of her. And finding out the reason why out of her mumbles, I made my decision clear. "No, Sejeong."

"What do I need to do to change your decision?" Sejeong asked again.

"Sejeong, it's getting redundant. Why are you so desperate to end your life?" I batted. "Are you not happy with this life?"

"I am now that you're here! But look at us! This relationship isn't working out." Sejeong spoke back.

"That's because you remain of your arrogance and worry. You're a deity for goodness sake! And I'm here and I love you! Why can't you get that?!" I had gone pissed.

I couldn't stand this all the time. I stood up to get some fresh air when Sejeong got in front of me and hugged me. I couldn't hug her back. I was so mad.

"Please..." Sejeong begged.

"Don't you love me? Why would I want to end your suffering when I love you? Why are you desperate? Don't you love me too?" I spoke, almost crying.

She didn't say anything back. I can't believe I fell for the hug. It looks like I don't have a choice. 

“Tomorrow. For real this time.” I said to her. “Because I still need to look at you.”

*thump*

How could it be so soothing to the ears that it almost leads to a deranged mind and a beating heart? I would’ve insisted again but I sighed, putting onto it one more time.

“Fine.” Sejeong grabs my hand and presses her palm onto mine.

The gesture made my heart beat and I couldn’t help but hear another, in sync with mine? Was it hers? Or maybe I was delusional…because it’s impossible for this old fool to love me when all she does is reprimand me, scold me even.

I notice her trying to intertwine her fingers with mine when I let go. Sejeong wondered as I sighed.

“Just assure that I’ll get rid of them tomorrow.”

“Chungha…I…”

“You’re a deity. I would’ve expected to obey.” I said. “I can’t even tell if who’s really begging for this but I'll do it.”

“Okay.” She said.

“Goodnight, Sejeong.” I said.

“Goodnight, Chungha.” She said back.

I gave a little nod as she walked back to her room. As I got back to my bed and slumped, I sighed as I looked up.

Meeting the God took a toll in my life. My life full of misery turned its way around and I managed to stay in a nice place all while I face my walks of life. Being the destined human, I would’ve thought it would be like in those fairytales wherein the two destined ones have mutual feelings. I have my feelings towards Sejeong…but when could a deity fall for a mere mortal?

I expected too much because of all the unseen said to me and to what happened to my mother. But it was just too different. Sejeong is too high for me and has no decency for my existence. But knowing the torment of the past life, I had to cling to this part of reality. It’s the least I could do to live a better life.

••••••••••

That day came and I decided to settle everything before I’ll really go. I talked with Haebin about it and she was crying, holding my hands tenderly as she worries for me and of her life without me. For the rest of the deities, I had some time with them as buddies and even left the deed of my home to them when I go, also asking a favour to remove Chungha’s memories so that she doesn’t blame herself.

For Chungha, I decided to give her something for my memory towards her, even though I won’t be in hers. Now, I was at her room as I gave them to her. I looked at her, excited like a little kid opening her birthday present. I couldn’t hold a smile.

“What’s with this, Sejeong?” Chungha asked as she opened a box with a shoulder bag inside.

“I thought you might need it when you get older.” I said. “I also decided to give you the 101,000 dollars but please stick to your breakdown for that.”

“Why give me all these things all of a sudden?” Chungha asked again.

“Noose and weights.” I said.

Chungha puts those things back to their boxes and faced me. She sighed. “Okay. Give me a minute to get ready.”

I nodded and got out. As I was holding the handle, she asked.

“Is there love in all these things?”

Yes…

“No.” I said.

“O-Okay…” She nodded.

I got out of her room and leaned by the door, a tear coming out from my eye.

+++

Chungha and I got to the door. I opened it and the two of us got to a field with white lilies. It was nighttime and Chungha thought it had been the most beautiful place she has ever been. She wandered around, wowing of the beautiful flowers around plus a comment on how I open such wonderful doors. I watched Chungha climb by the bench and wowed of the field. She points around. “Is this the place where you got those lilies for me?”

“Yes.” I said.

“I never forgot what those flowers mean.” She said. “Humility and devotion.”

She smiled and I could nod. “This must’ve been a special place since you want to get rid of the noose and weights here.”

“This is close to Israel. This is a place of my death, my beginning and my end.” I said. “Chungha, please go ahead and do what must be done.”

“Right now?” She asked and I nodded.

She comes closer, rushing in front of me like the cutie she was. But then, I sighed in my thoughts.

I won’t see her again…and she won’t remember my anymore…

“Hold on. I know it will make you pretty and all but something came in my mind.” She said, grabbing a notebook. “Read it.”

I nodded and read some lines. But then, I had gone restless. “I gave you something to munch into and not to make this.”

“Read the last part.” She pouted.

I sighed and read. It hit me.

Last time, I’ve been dubbed as the destined human of the God and she had become a part of my life. If she goes on, I’ll wait until she returns.

There was even my name. I wonder what it was when Chungha gave me a pen. I raise my eyebrows. “Is this why you asked for my name before?”

I signed nonetheless and Chungha nodded. I gave the notebook back. Chungha looked at it and she smiled. I couldn’t help my smile. And I couldn’t help but make something happen.

It was snowing. It would be Chungha’s first snowfall. Chungha was always impressed of what I can do. “Wow…it’s the first snowfall. You’re awesome, Sejeong. Just as planned…”

“I want to say something, Chungha.” I began. “I want you to know how sorry I am for always being selfish. Do consider it as something to live by and a remembrance from you to me.”

“Okay. Although I expected something else now.” Chungha spoke.

“Okay.” I nodded.

Chungha got her notebook inside her bag and drew herself closer. “Any last words?”

“Every moment I shared with you shined.” I said as my beating heart went along with it. “Because the weather was good. Because the weather was bad. And because the weather was good enough…” I looked down. “Every moment was worth it. That’s why no matter what happens, it’s not your fault and it will never be your fault.”

“Are you really…” She began. “…going to...”

I chuckled. “I have to.”

“Okay. I’ll do it now.” She said.

I saw Chungha draw closer as she got her hands around my neck. The noose glowed a green flame as she held it. I sighed, closing my eyes as I welcome my disappearance from this world, and from Chungha.

*bump*

I open my eyes again and I was still at the same spot. I saw Chungha holding one of my hands to get rid of the nail but she couldn’t hold it. She backed away, scratching her head. “Why can’t I get either of the two off? I can see both but I can’t get rid of them.”

I was shocked. “Did you put enough pressure?”

She tried again but she couldn’t hold it. I was shocked again.

“You said that it isn’t my fault, right? So don’t take it back.” She said.

“Hey…how could the destined human-“

“I said don’t take it back.” Chungha interrupted. “I’m just as shocked as you are. Now hold still.”

“Hey! How could I be more still than this?” I flipped out. “Give me that agreement. I’m burning it.”

“Wait!” She stopped me. “I know the solution to this…just like the cursed prince in those fairytales.”

“What-“ I froze as she got some strength to pull me closer to her.

••••••••••

*badump*

Her lips were so supple and were really soft. It was crazy, as if the world stopped spinning and the snow went back up. When I broke, I saw Sejeong’s shocked look. Not only that, I felt a little dizzy.

“I was in a rush. Please understand.” I mumbled, blushing hard.

“Open your eyes.” Sejeong said.

“They’re already open.” I said, almost giggling.

“What in the…” She gasped, a hand by her lips. “…are you insane?”

“Insane? You should be thankful. I didn’t want it, you know. It only had to be a sacrifice on my part.” I defended, almost ranting.

“You must be so fortunate to have it many times but me…” I huffed. “Aish, forget it.”

“What, what?! It was what?” She asked.

“It was my first kiss!” I confessed. “And I just wasted it on a deity.”

I was eager to try again but Sejeong backed off and stopped me, telling me to talk from this point. I didn’t want to as I was eager. I could only see the noose and weights and I can’t get rid of them. If it’s not working and I don’t try again, chances are that Sejeong will kick me out permanently.

“Don’t try again. It might not work again.” Sejeong said.

“If it won’t, there’s only one answer to that.” I answered. “True love.”

“Ridiculous.” Sejeong sighed and walked.

“It could be true! It’s ridiculous but I’d rather love you than lose everything you have given to me.” I ranted.

I bumped into her as she faces me. All the same. I felt guilty for not making this deity pass on. “I’m sorry. You had to put effort in making it snow.”

She looked up and the snowflakes stopped as she glares at one. I wowed yet she got mad.

“Sorry…but what should I do now?” I asked.

“What?”

“At this juncture, you’d kick me out-“

“I won’t kick you out!” Sejeong yelled and stormed back to the door.

I had my hopes up and reminded her of our little pact, all while I poked a snowflake. I hurried back and followed her.

+++

Another day came and I would’ve thought it would be typical. But then, Sejeong had gone back to the ing deity she was. It was getting in my nerves yet provoking Sejeong could risk my time to stay in this mansion. I had no choice but comply to her aimed pleas at me.

From the breakfast, the dishes, even the laundry, I did everything. But I was already done with the laundry, I blew up a fuse. And with Sejeong beside me reading a book, I couldn’t hold it in as I purposely flopped the wet towel just by her face.

“Was that deliberate?” Sejeong asked and I did it again. “Yep. You are. So tell me what’s bothering you-“

“Oh, thank the deity you brought that up! I know you must presume that I’m not your destined human so let’s not jump to conclusions or else you’ll regret for giving me a hard time.” I ranted.

“Do you mean that you’re the destined human yet you can’t get rid of the noose and the weights?” Sejeong asked.

“You said every moment with me shined. Because the weather was good, bad, or good enough.”

“I did.” Sejeong nodded. “Even now.”

“See?” I spoke yet I was shocked. “What?”

“I said even now, you shine brilliantly.” Sejeong commented.

“So…why are you so mean to me?” I asked.

“That’s different.” Sejeong commented.

“How could it be different when you said every moment shone?” I batted back. “Can we not do this and have a new value? If we can’t be married, we’ll just be girlfriends.”

“No.” Sejeong shook her head.

“Acquaintances?” I asked and she gave the same answers. “Lodgers?”

“Then pay 500 dollars for rent, plus an amount for water and electricity.” Sejeong said.

I sighed angrily, scratching my head as I thought that this ing deity is one hell of a retard.

••••••••••

Another morning for this deity. And another day to be woth the destined human.

Anyways, I decided to go and wake the destined human up. A smile paves way, all while I wonder of my own emotions. Nonetheless, I knocked on the door when I saw the little blackboard. There was something written inside.

The destined human of the God cannot be reached...ever.

PS: Screw you, you deity. I'm leaving.

-Chungha

My eyes dilated as I opened the door. It was already empty. With that, I went through various doors of the house as I searched her through the many places we've been through. I got back to the house, sighing hard. I sat and put a hand by my face.

What's happening? Why am I like this? I'm a deity. I shouldn't care about Chungha because she's not the destined human at all. She means nothing to me. But my confused brain and the Almighty for playing with my mind. It seems that a major part of me cared for Chungha and now, I'm a worried idiotic deity and I blame myself of my mistreatment towards Chungha.

A white butterfly flew around me and I cussed. " you and your superiority."

It didn't fly away and ended up around my head. I hissed and stood up, blowing up a fuse. "What?!"

Kim Sejeong, you jerk...

I gulped, hearing Chungha's thoughts. The butterfly didn't help as it still hovered on my head. Then, I had a vision which made me teleport somewhere.

I got to a winter park and Chungha was in front of me, wearing the same hoodie she always had. I was relieved that she was safe. "Chungha, let's go home."

"I would've done it if I had one. Too bad I don't." Chungha spat. "None of the places I considered were actually my home. I think it's the relations that become a hindrance to it. Some for the benefit of the doubt and particularly...one just wants to die."

"Chungha...I didn't mean to-"

"Didn't mean what, Sejeong?" Chungha batted again. "They say I'm your destined human yet I couldn't get the noose and weights off. With that, you mistreat me again. And where does that lead me? You think I'll just go back?"

"I know...I was wrong. I got desperate." I huffed. "But I beg again...and I hope you'd try one more time."

"No." Chungha looked away. "Not again."

Chungha walked away but I couldn't bear it that I went to her and stopped her with a hug. I huffed, all while I wrap my arms around her gently.

"Please...I beg of you..."

Chungha got herself off to face me. I wait for an answer and hoping I could get one.

"You need to change." Chungha said. "Can you swear on that now?"

I nodded, not because I was desperate but because I want to with all my heart. 

"Yes...I will."

+++

I have been summoned once again. But the difference of this one was that it wasn't bothersome. Now, it had become a privilege to be summoned by someone so important to you, a destined human.

Chungha gave that heartwarming smile and tackled to hug me. I grinned and hugged her back so lovingly. I heard her sniffle, saying that she misses me. "I miss you too, Chungha."

"Have you been well, Sejeong?" She asked.

I nodded and hugged her again. But then, I decided to ask. "You saw that demon again, didn't you?"

"I did..." Chungha answered directly. "...but I'll be careful next time."

There won't be one. That demon will keep on chasing Chungha until she gets my noose and weights off. The Almighty will affect Chungha's life if I don't do anything to persuade her. 

But just like Chungha, I don't think I wouldn't want these things off of me.

+++

I never thought I'd become the shepherd towards my sheep, especially with a child and a destined human. Nonetheless, Chungha faced me and smiled.

"Good job." She said with a thumbs up. 

"Well...I have powers after all." I said, smiling. "Also, let's go out."

"Weird. You don't usually do such thing." Chungha said.

"That doesn't matter now. And besides, you'll love it." I said.

Alright then!" She grabbed my arm. "I'm not going to decline an offer from the God herself."

Such humor amused little old me and I loved it. I was happy, to the least I'll be with her again.

+++

We rented ourselves a suite with a backyard. I was grilling meat and preparing veggies and I faced my back with a flash by my eye. I sighed and smiled as Chungha held the camera, gstting a picture of me.

It didn't end there. We ate, looked at the stars, and even shared our precious moments inside while reading our books. She madme fall backwards and I decided to lie my head onto her thighs as she sat. 

I could wow of Chungha's beauty, almost ing myself for being such an idiot of my treatment towards her. How could I lie to my own emotions, that I truly did have feelings towards her?

"Chungha." I gave her something. "Remember this?"

"My epic fail of getting your stuff off." Chungha said and retrieved it. "Hm? Two copies?"

"I'll take this." I grabbed the original one.

"I want that one." Chungha pouted.

I moved it away and we ended up messing around. Chungha would give hugs and plant kisses on the cheek and for the first time in my life, I was in paradise. 

+++

I watch Chungha on her sleep, all the while I held the original copy of what she wrote on the first snowfall, tears lingering down my face as they dropped by that piece of paper, a piece of her love for me.

I had to cry silently. She can't worry of me. The wish I had granted towards myself as an excuse won't last forever. It needs to be done...for Chungha sake.

••••••••••

It was another day at the university and a wonderful one at that. Seeing a certain someone made that day possible as I ran down and got closer to her.

"Hey." She greeted.

"Who knew I'll just have to think of you to summon you?" I said. "Why did you come here?"

"To see you." Sejeong spoke. "And I ask you out on another date."

I loved to and I decided to follow Sejeong, holding her hand. We got to a door and Sejeong uses her powers again as we got on top a building facing the cold Seoul night. 

"Sejeong, what are we doing here?" I ask her.

"Wait for a minute, okay?" Sejeong said. "I need to get something. But if anything goes wrong..." She pats my head. "...summon me immediately."

I presented my lighter and she pats my head again. She went off and I faced her when she got back and kissed me.

I couldn't stop as I held her closer and kissed back. It took a while, with every second more wonderful than the last. But we had to break for air, even I was perplexed of a flustered God Sejeong. Nonetheless, she smiled and leaned her forehead onto mine, her hands caressing my face. She looks onto me with those wonderful eyes as she smiles. "I'll be right back."

I nodded and she left, fading through greenish flames as I waited by my spot, all while checking onto a piece of paper, the same paper that became a catalyst of our relationship.

Sejeong was never expressive but then, I always knew that she had a special spot for me ever since we met. The omnipotent side of her would prevail but I would know that she had the capability to empathize. What she did to my late mother and her approach towards me were proof enough. I read through the paper with a smile and felt something by my pocket. I grabbed the mysterious object and found out that it was a white, the same flower that Sejeong gave to me during my sad birthday, the symbol of humility and devotion. I chuckled of it when I froze as it was sliced onto pieces, the petals dropping onto the floor.

I sense something bad was going to happen. I could even hear a familar voice. With that, I finally realize why Sejeong took me here.

"You waited for this, didn't you?" I spoke through air. "It's because of me, isn't it? That meeting...that meeting was destined for this, wasn't it?"

Smart...but what can you do, mere mortal? It's too late.

"You...you're going to use me..." I mumbled as a tear ran down. "...to get rid of Sejeong's noose and weights..."

A ring disrupted me and I answered. 

"Summon me. Now."

I hastily grabbed the lighter when I saw the same demon from before and it choked me. I struggled, dropping the piece of paper as I fight for my life, al the while my thoughts became twisted of this reality, that Sejeong won't be here for long.

Face it, destined human...you were due years ago and this is your destiny towards that due...

It wasn't. I cant back down. I grabbed the lighter again and blew the little flame. And thank the stars, Sejeong came...

+++

"Are you okay?" Sejeong asked despite of the dizziness.

I nodded and got in front of me. I saw her noose sturdy itself as the weights wrapped around it, creating her weapon. I huffed and grabbed the blade before Sejeong could aim it at the demon. 

"Chungha-"

"Kill me." I spoke.

I had gone mad. Why would I say such words? "I get it now. I get it to why we're here...to why that demon is here."

"Chungha-"

"This was the Almighty's punishment towards me for my defiance. I knew I would've pulled your stuff out sooner but I ignored. And that demon..." I pointed to the side. "...that demon had become the evil instrument of that. Kill me, quickly!! She's going to use me and it'll be too late!" I huffed and grabbed the weapon again. "I'd rather let you kill me than see you disappear!"

"No! I won't let you!" Sejeong debated.

"Please-"

I felt someone possessing me and felt trapped onto my own soul. I was scared as I felt myself drawing closer to Sejeong as I grabbed her weights and pulled them off with my bare hands. But no. I can't let this happen. 

I'm not going to let Sejeong go...

"Demon, be gone!!" I yelled. "Demon, be gone!! Demon, be gone!!"

A sickening roar was heard and I felt released from the traps of my soul. I saw my bloody hands by Sejeong's noose and I felt dizzy. But seeing Sejeong catch me and use my hands to get rid of the noose, I cried and cussed internally.

Sejeong...

+++

I jolted back up as if I missed the events. The demon was dead on one side but I ran towards Sejeong, seeing her crouch and throw her weapon as it disappeared with greenish flames. I cried as I got to her and hugged her, saying my pleas of defiance once more. I ended up hugging her tight as I watch her fade within greenish ashes little by little. I felt her hand on my back, making me look at her as she had droopy eyes for a deity.

"No...Sejeong..." I sobbed as I hugged her desperately.

Sejeong hugged me back, her head leaning onto my shoulder before she looked at me and cupped my cheek.

"Meeting you was supposed to be wonderful for you...but I made it miserable." Sejeong began. "I'm so sorry for lying off of my emotions...for hiding the fact that I really cared for you..."

"No...I know...I always know you cared for me..." I sniffled. "You may act like an idiot but you're a deity who loves me..." I held her hand tighter. "Sejeong, please..."

"I'm sorry for this destiny upon you. How could I do this to you?" Sejeong teared up as she continued to fade. "But it had to be done for you. It will pain me if you are a harm..."

"Sejeong..."

"Please continue to be strong...I'll come back soon..." Sejeong's tears dropped as she leaned her forehead onto mine. "...I'll beg the Almighty to return to you..."

"Don't go...please don't..." I continued to beg and cry. "I love you...Sejeong, I love you..."

"Me too." Sejeong sniffled again and kissed my cheek. "I love you, Chungha."

I hugged her tighter and felt Sejeong hold onto me as if I was going to leave, wherein she's the one leaving. "I always have...and always will..."

I felt myself getting dizzy as we both fell facing each other. I saw Sejeong smile and cry as more green ashes surrounded her. I cried as I was in the brink of unconsciousness. My eyes blink for the last time and Sejeong disappears slowly.

••••••••••

It was a long day. I was walking around within a patch of white lilies by the stage, finding each one more beautiful than the last. I crouched and got a flower, adoring the white petals filled with such devotion and humility.

"Yah, Sejeong!"

I looked over and saw Mimi and Hana. I smiled and got up, holding the flower still. "What?"

"Come on. We'll be late for our jam today." Hana said. "And you even have one jam for charity work at the park, remember?"

I nodded and got my guitar and followed the two. We got to the stage and I was at the center to perform. Hana was the bassist as Mimi was the drummer. A little crowd came to see us but then, we played a lot of songs, giving them all the happiness they deserve.

Later on, I had to go to the park and play for charity work. I got to my spot by the stairs, held my sign up, placed my case open, and played.

I saw a cute girl place a bill on my case. I looked up at her as I continued to sing and bow as a sign of thanks.

••••••••••

I was running, panting while I carried my bag and shrugged of the cast by my foot. I was supposed to be ready for a charitable event by dancing in front of a crowd but I was late. Technically, I could come anytime but I always had a favorite spot at the park where I wanted to dance.

People came and went within my vision. I even saw a cute lady helping a woman with a sprained ankle. I had a peek and realizing that my ankle was wincing for a while, I decided to take a break and massage my casted ankle.

I sighed and decided to take the actions to a minimum. I got my bag, walking slowly up the stairs, heading towards my favorite spot when another person got there first, playing a guitar in front a crowd as they throw money by the guitar case. I was intrigued. The singer's voice was lovely and she played well. I didn't want to go near just because of that. A part of me felt that this woman was familiar.

Please continue to be strong...I'll come back soon...

I was shocked of hearing such a voice. I rubbed my ears as I watched the woman bow and the crowd applaud. 

I'll beg the Almighty to return to you...

As the crowd lessened, I was shocked to see the singer face to face, all the while she gathered her money inside a large pouch and finally putting her instrument and the sign inside the case. She managed to look at my direction as she was as stunned as I am.

I ended up squinting to get a good look and it made me mumble. "I found you."

I could tear up of this as she dropped her case lightly and we were inches away from each other. I huffed as she smiled, all teary-eyed.

"Hey." She greeted. "Words cannot express how proud I am."

"W-Why?" I asked, sniffling.

"You waited for me, right?" She asked.

"Well..." I regained composure. "...you can't be gone for an eternity, right?"

"Chungha..." She mumbled. "...you remember me, right?"

"How could I forget you, Sejeong?" I spoke back. "You're the God."

I smiled and cupped her cheek, all the while I let her have her guitar case back onto her hold. "...and I'm your first and last destined human."

END

===

That was the third update.

@Agyusshi: Congratulations, my bae. You have won on this update.

@Damasco: You can try on the next one.

@hailqueens: You got the ship right but someone got the answer first. You may try on the next update.

Aside from MiSo, Dodaeng, and SeChung, what are my other favorite ships?