펜상 (Mina • Sohye)

Idol [HIATUS]

===

White. All I could see was white. Not only that, I could only feel the cold breeze slapping my face hard, making the creases of my face form little frosts, especially at the tip of my nose. My hands were busy picking the ice as I glimpsed of seeing sleds and other icemakers picking and hoisting the ice as they’re taken to shipping lines for trade.

“Sohye, keep up the pace!” Head Kim said.

“Yes, boss.” I nodded and picked a lot of blocks.
I did the usual work and got a lot of sleds of ice sent off until the day ended. At night, we were on our respective igloos, eating dinner. I was on mine, eating the usual can of beans while cuddling onto my favourite stuffed penguin.

“For a woman, you sure eat a lot of beans.” Head Kim spoke as he came inside.

“I worked hard today. I deserve it.” I said, emptying my fourth plate. “That’ll do for tonight.”

“Sohye.” He called.

I knew that tone. How could I forget? Work was already over. “Yes, Appa?”

“You did great today.” He said, hugging me. “I’m sorry if your Eomma died so soon and you had to let go of everything in Seoul to be an icemaker here in Antarctica.”

“It’s fine, Appa. Besides, I wouldn’t be able to live alone in Seoul without you.” I said. “You’re all that I have left.”

I could hear him cry as I hug him tight. But then, the moment had to be ceased as a breeze made its way inside, blowing the lanterns off. I wondered afterwards as I heard various stomping and felt the ground shaking.

“Appa-“

“Stay here.” He said as he got out.

I was shaking, holding my stuffed penguin tight. The shaking of the ground continued and it grew stronger than the second. I couldn’t get out. Appa told me to do so and my fear grew to new heights. But then, my eyes dilated as I saw a flock of penguins running, together with some people.

I couldn’t just sit here so I went outside and defied my father’s orders. But what really shocked me was that a tsunami was heading towards here. I ran around the little village and wondered if there was still some people left. Knowing that all of them must’ve went off, I searched for my father. I continued to look around, stopping by the large lake. I saw my father with one of our workers. I took a step forward and I saw my father being pushed on the lake. The water tinted red and I gasped to death. There were sharks there and that bastard threw my father as the ferocious creatures ate his flesh.

I cried and I was so angry. How could I grow scared and unstop him?!

“I can see you, Kim Sohye.”

I shook. I still held onto the stuffed penguin I had and made a run for it. I could only go to where my feet would take me and I glimpsed the tsunami coming closer. I passed by the little village towards the blocks of ice when I felt a tug on my hair. I screamed when the same man from earlier clenched my collar.

I was soft but I can be feisty. I grit my teeth and spat at his face. “You murderer!”

“Your father deserved it anyway.” He snickered. “I knew of the tsunami coming ahead. I got everyone to move just as those flock of penguins sensed it. For your father, I had to get him to his death.”

“Why!?” I hissed as I continued to struggle.

“All of this, of course.” He answered. “I would’ve sought a silver lining if we were to gather ice here and make a fortune but being stuck in here for the rest of your life is just a pain in the . And you…” He clenches my collar tighter. “…you make a better raise than any of us combined. You’re a threat, brat!”

“W-What can you do now?” I asked. “The tsu-tsunami is c-coming…”

I could feel the wind gushing harder and the wave was almost close to solid ice. The next thing took a toll as he got a knife and stabbed me. He threw me away and ran for his life. I dubbed myself as a useless weakling as I tried to get up. The blood was slippery as it tainted the white ice. My stuffed penguin was already a mess with my blood as I had no hope in living.

My father’s dead. Everyone left together with the flock of penguins. That bastard killed him and made a run for it. He also stabbed me and I would be meeting my death through a large wave.

With the cold and the wound, I was done for. The wave hit the ice, breaking it. The crack was heading towards me as I held onto my stuffed penguin tight. As the water hit me, it sent me off to only the Almighty can know.

Who knew I could meet death this way?

+++

I was greeted by the rays of the sun and a flock of seagulls flying around me like vultures. I look at the side, seeing a dead shark. I tried to sit up but I was in pain. I had blood all over and I couldn’t feel my lower body anymore. I gasped, seeing my bloody left leg on another dead shark’s mouth and my left arm was gone. I had the other as it held my torn stuffed penguin tight.

I felt weak again. I can’t believe I was stranded in an unknown place and managed to survive after being dragged by harsh waves and get eaten by sharks. I huffed and closed my eyes, meeting my death when I felt something by my forehead. It would’ve died but a course of energy flowed into my system. I looked around, seeing the weather going bad.

The devil has made its mark and has tainted the innocent and sullen world with its filth…

I wondered who was speaking. I felt goose-bumps and wondered as a blue aura coursed from my waist, then going all over my body.

…justice will be served through you for the souls of loved ones have saved you…but…

Lightning struck and I was regaining strength. I couldn’t know and maybe I will never know as I felt the energy coursing.

…you have been stained by the filth of the devil and have the incompetency for desire, especially on the death of your father...

I got a new arm and leg. I was also covered with the body of a penguin and a head of a shark. I felt one with the mysterious body.

…you shall be immortal, serve as a judge, and see loved ones die without stopping their fate. It’ll be a blessing and a curse bestowed upon you. Only a destined human can ease your suffering. If she does, then you will finally be a peace and go in one with the foam of waves during the winter.

A wave hits me and the next thing I know, I was tossed onto the sea. Then again…

“Aish…” I got up and I was like Jesus as I walked on water.

I got to shore, looking at what I was wearing. I tried to teleport and I gasped as I got to a comfort room. I looked at myself, seeing that I was as pale as snow. I had a shark-penguin themed hoodie and I was wearing grey pants and black shoes. I took off my hood and my brown hair was gone. I now had black hair plus three scars on each side of my neck. I grinned, seeing white teeth. I looked to the side, seeing a pipe as I tried to gnaw it and it broke.

“Woah…” I cackled.

I saw girls exiting the cubicles and they wowed of my look. I shrugged it off and got out, facing another day with no care in the world.

••••••••••

The place would’ve been sad. It was a funeral after all. But no. Everyone was eased. They weren’t crying. They could only frown. I was with them, seeing the picture of my great-grandmother by the altar.

She was still alive even when I reached 20. I wonder of old people from what they eat during their times to how they manage to live for long years. My grandparents died before her and I could only wonder.

“Mina.” I looked to the side and there was my father. “Come on. Let’s go home.”

I nodded and went with him outside. Eomma still stayed but I wondered as I finally heard their tears.

“Appa?” I asked him. “Why is Eomma crying just now? She never cries….”

“She finally broke, huh?” He asked. “It must’ve have been an effect that you have, Mina.”

“Appa, I don’t understand.” I said again.

“Halmeoni always said that her great-granddaughter is a templar against misery.” He said.

“I am?” I asked again.

“Yes. Halmeoni always said that to me as you grew up, Mina. You drive misery away whenever you’re around people in a single room.” My father said again. “But it fades when you’re not inside a room.”

“Weird…” I mumbled.

“It’s not weird, Mina. Halmeoni used to say that in her stories that there are just people born with gifts from the deity. In fact, I remember Halmeoni’s stories of the PenSang…”

I wondered of that as Appa drove me back home. He couldn’t stay with me since I needed to go to work later and so did he. I got inside and took a stop on my great-grandmother’s bedroom. We didn’t dare to send the things away. Our memories with my great-grandmother mean so much to us, especially to me.

I got to look around and remembered my course of life with my great-grandmother. We spend a lot of time together and one of the most memorable things was of her stories she told me, especially about the PenSang.

I found the book about it and opened it again. It was still hours before work so I decided to read about it again. I sat on her favourite chair and read.

The PenSang is one of the deities risen by the Almighty Deity to serve as a judge. She was risen in the sea during the first days of winter and only roamed around during winter. However, despite of her purpose as a judge, misery was the core of her reward as she is an immortal being who can never change fate of people around her.

“Hmm…sad…” I sighed and flipped the pages again. “No wonder she’s so in sync with the winter season…”

My great-grandmother never told me the sad side of the PenSang on her stories before. It was new. And now, I couldn’t get my eyes off of the book. I read all those stories she told me before and when I got to the last page, I saw a picture. I gasped. The girl looked just like me.

“My memory with the PenSang…too bad I wasn’t her destined human…” I read.

I could almost throw the book but I held it tight. I looked at the picture again and guessed of the picture. I chuckled. It was my great-grandmother when she was my age. But somehow, I couldn’t avert my eyes on the woman beside her. A thump makes its way to my chest and a tick of the clock reminded me that I had work to do.

I closed the book and placed it back. I got my lab coat on, got my things, and went to my car and drove to the marine life institute.

+++

“Kang Mina, help!!!”

“Chill…” I sighed.

“How can I chill when I’m feeding sharks?!” My co-worker Cho Hyeyeon yelled.

I sighed and took over. I got the flabs of meat tossing around the aquarium and the sharks swim forward to those flabs and they eat. I continued to do that until the bucket was empty. I tossed the bucket to Hyeyeon and she yelped because of the blood.

“Wuss. You even had to be a marine biologist.” I chuckled.

“Only to cute fishes and not to beasts like those sharks.” Hyeyeon batted. “How are you not scared of them?”

“I don’t know. But still, even if I get to approach them, I also need to be cautious.” I answered. “Clean yourself up and let’s see the penguins.”

Hyeyeon loathed tagging around with me because of the sharks but boy, does she love me when I go to the penguin’s exhibit and through the winter-themed habitat. Hyeyeon and I got some food for them and medicine just in case we sought sick penguins.
They look so cute like little waiters, waddling around and sliding on the ice with their bellies. When they sensed food, they gathered around Hyeyeon and I. I moved to the top of an iceberg and tossed fish from there. The cuties waddled and caught them with their beaks. I was done with my part as Hyeyeon decided to stay for a bit.

I decided to go back to the office and settle the papers for a trip to Antarctica to look for endangered species of sharks and penguins and bring them to the institute to heal and to be kept safe from possible poachers. I passed by the aquarium where the sharks are and stopped when the lights flickered. Not only that, the glass of the aquarium was cracking.

“Shoot…” I hissed and decided to call Hyeyeon. “Hyeyeon-“

The signal was down. This was ed up…

••••••••••

“Yah!” The God nudged me. “Something’s up…”

“Really?” I spoke in a very sad tone.

“It’s at an institute.” She spoke.

I didn’t budge. I didn’t have time for this. I sighed and just ate a dead fish while the God was slapping me with her hand, making me spit my food.

“What the ?” I batted. “I’m still in remorse, you ing goblin! Someone just died and I’m sad."

“Oh…” She stopped and sat beside me. “…so the great-grandmother already passed away? Hmm…” She got a card from the List of Names. “I took it from Stone Grim Reaper.”

“That’s her…” I said.

“The girl who loved you who was not the destined human…” She sighed.

“That’s the one.” I answered. “I never thought she’d last up to almost 200 years. We see each other sometimes but when she had a family, I stopped visiting her. I did the usual work of bringing justice to the world and the last time I saw her was that she was already in the brink of dying.” I sighed. “She said she missed me and still loved me but she knew that we weren’t destined. She even requested something…

“And what is that?” The God asked.

“That I take care of her great-granddaughter because she believes that her great-granddaughter is the destined human.” I said.

“Well…I hate to defy the laws of the Almighty but…” She began.

“What?” I asked.

“…what if I were to tell you that the said destined human is in danger?”

“Goddamnit, Sejeong!” I cussed before teleporting someplace else.

+++

As much as I have to save someone, I had to do my task. I stepped the pace up until I got to a marine life institute. I teleported to the spot Sejeong talked about and there was a woman, frozen as the glass of an aquarium filled with sharks was cracking. I had my hand pointed on the cracks and sealed them perfectly.

The majestic creatures inside calmed and swam calmly. For the girl, she gasped of the sealed glass. In my case, I wonder of my heart as it was beating.

Could Sejeong the God be right? Is this woman HER great-granddaughter, the destined human?

“Who’s there?!” She yelped, facing me.

I wondered if this human can see me. I went closer and waved a hand in front of her face. She can’t see me.

“Oh, right…” I mumbled and took off my hood. “Hi there!”

The girl screamed and almost fell to the floor when I grabbed her and caught her. The both of us froze for a minute and I could feel something on my chest. Then again, I wasn’t like the strong God Sejeong. I had my issues in carrying human beings.

“You’re quite heavy.” I said.

She got off of my grasp and somehow, she felt threatened. She does a fighting stance at me. “H-How did you just pop out of nowhere?! Who are you?!”

“Easy there, human.” I said, holding my hands up. “No need to get testy. In fact, you should thank me for stopping the aquarium from cracking.”

“Yah!” She yelped and pointed at the aquarium. “You did that?!”

“You could say that.” I answered.

Sohye, the Almighty called. Get in here, newbie…

“Aigooo…” I sighed. “As much as I want to stay, duty calls.”

“Wait!” The woman spoke and I face her. “You didn’t answer my questions…”

“Well, if you want answers…” I grabbed my hood. “…ask your late great-grandmother.”

+++

I was with the ing goblin, Kim Sejeong, in a field filled with white flowers. And in front of us was the Almighty as she flew around.

It seems one of my deities have defied the laws again…

“Your Eminence…it’s was just little info…” Sejeong said as she nudged me. “I can’t believe you surprised the woman like that!”

“So what?!” I said. “At least she knows who to thank. If I didn’t stop it, she would’ve been shark bait!”

Still, you two are fined.

“Be thankful that I’m a CEO of hotel franchises.” Sejeong mumbled and got a golden card. “Here you go, Your Eminence.”

Yours, PenSang?

“Here.” I said, handing mine.

“Wohoho~ what’s your occupation?” Sejeong asked me.

“Well, I’m a CEO of a marine life institute where the said human is working.” I answered. “Which reminds me…” I checked the time. “…duty calls again.”

I did my little bow and teleported back.

••••••••••

I woke up in a state of shock as I was sleeping in my great-grandmother’s room. I checked the time and I sighed. I had to go to work again. I did the usual routine and was off to work just in time for the team to start the meeting.

“You’re almost late, Kang Mina.” Head Shin said.

“Sorry.” I spoke

Hyeyeon pulled me towards her and whispered of me being almost late. “I had nightmares.

“Is it about yesterday?” She asked and I nodded. “Damn…”

“Damn, indeed…” I mumbled.

“Everyone, we’ll be having a meeting about the expedition in Antarctica. It turns out our CEO agreed to conduct the expedition and she’ll be coming with us.”

Everyone mumbled and wowed, even Hyeyeon and I were almost privileged and excited to finally meet our CEO. As Head Shin spoke more details, we made the way as Head Shin welcomed our CEO. As she walked, everyone was clapping. When I clapped, I stopped as I finally saw her face.

She was really pretty. But what really hit me was that she had the same face as the mysterious being that I saw yesterday. I had my mouth agape and rubbed my eyes.

“Yah, Kang Mina!” Hyeyeon called. “It looks like you’ve seen the God or the PenSang~ you okay?”

The CEO stood with Head Shin and they shook hands. I couldn’t risk work so I greeted the CEO with the rest of the team.

“Everyone, Ahn Sohee, our CEO of the Korean Marine Life Institute.” Head Shin spoke.

“Thank you, Head Shin. Greetings, everyone.” She greeted and we bowed and greeted back. “I am almost privileged to finally see my workers and to be working with them in an expedition I am passionate of. Sharks and penguins have been endangered as we speak and their numbers decrease from time to time. As marine biologists, not only we study them but we also take action in protecting them.”

We all clapped. I joined them and somehow, I couldn’t avert my eyes away from the CEO. The same thump from yesterday and the days before came back and I visualize the mysterious being in her.

“Thank you for the words, Miss Ahn. For the expedition, our CEO here appointed someone in the team to lead us throughout the expedition, together with our CEO.” Head Shin spoke as CEO Ahn nodded. “And the person is no other than Kang Mina.”

I gasped and everyone applauded. I saw the CEO smile and clap too. Hyeyeon nudged me and rejoiced. For me, I could only bow and say my thanks.

“So, the expedition will be in three days from now. I want the people on this team to be fit enough until such time. Is that clear?” CEO Ahn spoke.

“Ne!” We all said.

She claps. “Okay. Back to work now."

Head Shin and the rest of us nodded as everyone in the team scattered around towards their workstations. I was going to come with Hyeyeon to study and check on the sea lions when…

“Kang Mina, may I talk to you for a moment?” CEO Ahn spoke.

“Ohoho~” Hyeyeon chanted softly.

I slapped her shoulder as she went on. I was almost praying for dear life to the deity, hoping that I wasn’t in trouble or anything. I faced the CEO, doing a little bow as she walks forward. Hearing the clacks of her shoes and of her presence, I felt my heart beat loudly as I look at her.

She was gorgeous. She was too young for her age. She had skin as pale as winter and her eyes…her eyes were almost like a vault that it would find me impossible to crack it open. She was also taller than me as we stood face to face. I felt my face heat up.

“Is there something wrong, Sajangnim?” I asked.

“I didn’t call you because there’s something wrong or that you’re in trouble.” She spoke.

I gulped in my thoughts. How did she know what I was thinking?

“I came to talk because I wanted you to know that I’m excited and privileged to work with you.” She added.

“Oh…” I spoke. “…I-I should be the one saying that, Sajangnim.”

She chuckled and I took a glimpse of her teeth. They were the whitest set of teeth I’ve ever seen. And seeing her grin made my heart beat out of my chest again.

“How cute of you, Ms. Kang.” She said and my sub-conscience was doing somersaults but in reality, I could only do a bow.

“Is there anything else you need, Sajangnim?” I asked.

“No. You may go back to work now.” She answered.

I did another bow and went on. As I walked, I had my thoughts on CEO Ahn and a change of view as I saw the mysterious being from the aquarium incident in her, making me stop. I looked back and CEO Ahn wasn’t there anymore. I wonder of how she left so silently and swiftly.

*ring*

“Hello?” I answered.

Where are you, Mina? Head Shin called for you now. Hyeyeon answered.

“I’ll be right there.” I said and hung up.

+++

Work went on like the usual but most of the time, I couldn’t get my head off of CEO Ahn and the mysterious creature. Despite of the trances I have, I had to focus on work.

After the end of the day, I decided to go and buy something for dinner. I passed by a convenience store serving my favourite gimbap when I heard crying by an alleyway. It was dangerous to pass through alleyways but curiosity got the best of me that I went to find the source of that cry. When I got through the alleyway, I saw a whimpering man and I never thought I’d see a familiar person in front of the man.

“Sajangnim?”

The man asked for my help when she shut his mouth. I gulped as I noticed a blue aura shining upon CEO Ahn. And when she looked at me with those grey eyes, I gulped and made my hunch.

Could CEO Ahn and the mysterious being are of one body?

••••••••••

I was Ahn Sohee in the human world, CEO of the Korean Marine Life Institute, just where the said destined human was working. As the PenSang, I am a judge of good and evil yet the deity rewards me with misery for almost 200 years. In my case, I wanted this torment to end. I don’t want to be sad anymore. I want to be free.

After my work, I also needed to do my responsibility as a deity. Currently, a thief stole and murdered his victim. I managed to get him and pinned him in an alleyway for his misdeeds. I chuckled on the submissive trait of humans. It’s just too fun to watch.

“P-Please don’t hurt me…” He whimpered.

“For a man, you sure are a scaredy cat.” I said. “But still…” I grabbed him and choked him. “…you let the devil stain your soul and do a misdeed to someone so innocent who still has a good life ahead of her. I only come to let you face the consequences of your own actions.”

I threw him on the other side and he panted. I had no time for this. I have to deal with him and wipe his filth off of the face of this Earth.

“Sajangnim?”

The destined human shows up, huh?

I couldn’t get away from this truth. I look at the side and there was Kang Mina. I look at her with my grey eyes and heard the man whimpering so I shut his mouth. And that’s where I made my move, swinging my hand lightly as I took the devil on his highway to hell.

“Mind me if you had to see death like that.” I said to a frozen Mina. “But it’s best to keep your mouth shut.”

She made a run for it but I know she cannot outrun me. I teleported and faced her again, making her freeze once more. And then I laughed in my thoughts as she does the same fighting stance. “Hurt me and I’ll hurt you!"

“Aigoo…” I sighed and teleported in front of her, our faces inches away from each other.

I could hear a beat from somewhere. Also, I could feel my own heartbeat. But it’s impossible. There’s no way this girl could be the destined human.

“Who said anything about hurting you?” I asked back.

“Y-You won’t hurt me?” She asked, almost in the brink of crying.

“Save your tears for a drastic situation.” I said.

“Besides, a happy pill shouldn’t cry for you are the one who eases others’ misery.”

“How did you know that?!” She asked, flipping out.

“I just do.” I said as I walked away.

“Wait!” She spoke and I stopped, facing her again. “Who are you??”

“You didn’t ask your great-grandmother, huh?” I spoke. “Then…” My eyes went back to a normal brown. “…check out the book.”

+++

“What?!”

I could only nod as three other deities reacted as we were sitting together in a restaurant, eating.

“Yeah. I saw her and she saw me. What are the odds…” I mumbled as I ate sushi.

“Hah. You’re screwed, PenSang.” Yoojung the midget alien spat.

“You’re more screwed by me, space alien…” I mumbled, gritting my shark teeth.

“Easy.” Nayoung the Stone Grim Reaper spoke.

“Aigoo…such a small world…” Sejeong the God spoke, drinking soju. “But it’s almost detestable. What would the Almighty think about that?”

I sighed and just ate with them. As I munched on my sushi, we witnessed an accident across the street. I look at Nayoung and Sejeong and they slammed their share on the table.

“Duty calls.” Nayoung mumbled and went out.

“Hey, let me spare some lives, Stone Grim Reaper!” I heard Sejeong yell as she went with Nayoung.

“Weird…” Yoojung mumbled as she ate again.

“Let me ask you, Yoojung…” I began. “What do you want from Antarctica?”

“Omo…can I get a real penguin?” She asked.

“I gave you a lot of those in my 200 years of existence. How about something else, like snow or a polar bear?” I batted.

“And you had to let me decide. Why? Are you going back there again?” She asked.

“It’s for an expedition.” I reasoned. “And besides, we’re leaving first thing in the morning.”

Yoojung sighed as she waves goodbye. I gave my share and bid my goodbye, going to the comfort room to put my hood on.

I teleported back to my home and used my powers to pack all my things for the said expedition. I would’ve done it later than expected but with the space alien’s question a while ago, I needed to settle priorities and take time to ponder.

Deities know each other’s lives from whence they came. In my case, a land of ice in the South is the beginning of my eternal reward. I recalled everything about my blessing and curse and with my senses of finding the destined human, I had to check if the marine biologist Kang Mina was truly the one, and that what her great-grandmother said was true.

I wouldn’t have a reason not to. Such feeling was too hard to bear but I needed to end this torment.

••••••••••

I would’ve woken up properly but at least it was early. The problem was that I didn’t get a good sleep as a dream of the PenSang took over.

When I opened my eyes, my thoughts wandered of the mysterious creature from my great-grandmother’s stories, from the aquarium incident, and even from an unexpected meeting with CEO Ahn. I would wake up with a beating heart and I would picture out her beauty that took my emotions to new heights. But then, I had to go back to reality as I realized that the trip for the expedition was today.

I looked at the time, did the usual routine, and got my things out and waited for the van to arrive. I noticed a neat white Lamborghini and I wowed. I had to gasp as the vehicle stopped by my side. The window of the car opened and my eyes dilated. It was CEO Ahn.

“Sajangnim, annyeonghaseyo~” I bowed.

“Good morning, Ms. Kang.” She greeted back. “The van won’t be coming. I told the rest of the team to go ahead. The both of us will catch up."

“But wouldn’t it be better if we all went together?” I asked.

“It was my instruction, Ms. Kang.” She answered and I stopped. “Is there a problem with that?”

“There’s isn’t, Sajangnim. I apologize for asking.” I mumbled.

She got out and my face heated up. I gulped as she was walking towards me. I couldn’t avert my eyes gazing at her eyes, her brown hair, her porcelain face, her body, even at her lips. As she stopped inches away for me, I exhaled sharply. When she inched even closer, I closed my eyes quickly.

But then, as I opened them again, she wondered of me as my luggage was on her hand. I wondered of her strength. My bag was heavy yet she carried it with just one skinny yet healthy hand.

“Are you alright, Ms. Kang?” She asked.

“I’m fine.” I answered.

She motions me to get in her car as she got my luggage in the trunk. She came back onto her seat as she started her car. She looked at me and inched closer again, making me blush.

“Seatbelt.” She spoke as she fastened it. “Buckle up every time.”

I nodded and sighed in my head as she moved away. She drove and I could only look around the insides of the car. I noticed shark-themed and penguin-themed pillows by the back, even a shark tooth with the rosary by her mirror. But what really made me wonder is the shark and penguin figurine at the center.

“Quaint, huh?” I heard her ask.

“It’s quite fascinating, Sajangnim.” I answered. “I like sharks and penguins too.”

“Sharks are pictured out as apex predators, monsters of the sea, and killers of human life. Penguins are depicted as cute creatures, albeit creatures with no sense of proper intellect.” She spoke. “But there are hidden emotions to these animals. Sharks are provoked and penguins would’ve known more of their survival and a life beyond the ice.”

Never in my life have I been struck of words about my specialization. I was moved in a sense that I can picture out these animals in their habitat, in danger and taking risks in survival. I could almost cry. “I agree to that, Sajangnim.”

“That’s nice to hear.” She said.

She her radio and I pouted lightly of the sad songs played. I could even feel the air conditioner on full swing as I got my jacket from my bag when she turned it down. Also, I notice her sigh as she plasters the same expression.

Yes. As much as I’ve seen CEO Ahn, she never smiles.

“We’re at the bay.” She spoke. “But we still need to drive to the barge."

I nodded as I saw a submarine. CEO Ahn drove inside the barge and I saw the place getting darker as the door closed. She continued to drive and when we got to another path, I looked to the side and wowed. On the side of the paths was a clear view of the deep water.

I could see fishes, sea turtles, even a glimpse of dolphins. But then, I noticed that the we were submerging deeper as I saw the change of blue varying from the clear sea to the dark blue of the deep ocean. But then, the view had to end there as we got to the parking area. The car stopped and both of us got out, taking our luggage as I follow CEO Ahn. We got to the control panel room as I saw a few of my co-workers on their workstations.

“Stay here for a moment.” CEO Ahn instructed. “Status report.

“Cameras are in good condition, Sajangnim.” Risa-unnie spoke.

“Biodiversity status around waters in Korea is also in good condition, Sajangnim.” Kim added.

“The boats?” CEO Ahn asked.

“We’ve got the GPSs in each boat, Sajangnim.” Dayoung grinned.

“Good.” She replied then faced me. “Follow me to your room, Ms. Kang."

I nodded and moved to catch up to her. The walk took a little longer than expected as we got to my room. I wowed as I got in. It was almost like a suite!

“Do you like it?” She asked.

“I love it, Sajangnim!” I grinned and I got my luggage in.

I faced CEO Ahn and I noticed a little twitch on . I looked away and blushed lightly of the fact that I saw her smile lightly.

“We will get to Antarctica in a week. The rest of the team are already across the Equator. I let Head Shin and Cho Hyeyeon lead them.” She shared.

“When will I start my part of the work, Sajangnim?” I asked

“Tomorrow. For now, why don’t you rest?” She said. “That’s an instruction from me, Ms. Kang.”

I nodded as I sat by the bed. She got her luggage and got out of my room. “Have a good night in advance, Ms. Kang.”

“Y-You too, Sajangnim…” I answered.

I saw that twitch again as she closed the door. When it closed, I rolled on my bed, squealing like a clapping seal. I hugged the pillow tight as I felt my face heat up of CEO Ahn. I huffed, got up to fix my stuff, and got a stuffed fusion of a shark and penguin plushie and hugged it tight.

It was almost a 200-year old plushie from my great-grandmother. She made it when she was just my age and she kept it since. She gave it to me when I was ten and it has been my greatest treasure from her ever since. Also, she made it based on her stories of the PenSang. Somehow, the plushie was almost like the PenSang herself, a guardian and a deity that kept me safe.

I closed my eyes and flashes of the PenSang and CEO Ahn filled my mind again, making me jolt up. I held onto my plushie tight as I felt my heart pound again.

I could’ve sworn I was just hallucinating but why do I sense that the PenSang is close by?

••••••••••

PenSang. What a lame name for a deity of justice and misery, more or less a deity fused from a shark and a penguin. I mean…it doesn’t even make any sense…

I was working with the crew. As much as the expedition was intended for Antarctica, I also took concern of the marine life in every area we went. I worked with the crew almost all night and took priority of the marine life, especially the sharks we passed by. After that, my crew wanted me to rest so I took the consideration and here I was in my room, laying down as I contemplated.

“Kang Mina…” I mumbled. “…the deity’s playing with me again…” I put a hand on my forehead. “…there’s no way she’s the destined human…”

My room froze but the aquarium wasn’t affected. It also turned gloomy as I remember every life I took and people close to me dying. Even seeing Mina’s great-grandmother already passed killed me. All evidences have been seen. Mina’s the destined human…but why can’t I accept it?

Have I changed my mindset? Am I not craving to end this torment? What’s pulling me to keep on living? Is Mina making me perceive that I still need to live?

I closed my eyes and saw a vision of Mina, from the time she was born to the time I saw her smile on her sleep, cuddling a 200-year old plushie her great-grandmother actually made for me. And for the first time in a while, my mouth twitched upward.

How quaint. I managed to sleep with a smile…

+++

“Happy morning~~” I heard Mina across the room.

All of the member of the crew greeted Mina with smiles on their faces. Mina got some time to greet me but somehow, I couldn’t smile. “Happy morning, Ms. Kang.”

I motioned her to sit down beside me as she took a while. I could see Dayoung and Risa cooing at her but I couldn’t care less. “Ms. Kang, remember the action plan I talked about last time?"

“Yes, Sajangnim.” Mina nodded as she got her presentation ready.

She went to the front as we all listened. Since she will be leading with me, I made her do an action plan for the said expedition.

“The expedition in Antarctica would take a very long duration of about six months. The usual work needs to be done and with the search and rescue of sharks and penguins, the duration would take almost a year. With the equipment and more heads, I propose that we will finish this expedition in the expected time of six months.” Mina began.

“But Ms. Kang…” A worker raised her opinion. “…do know that our resources are limited and are only of use for specific search and rescue. Adding the usual work could cost us equipment and natural risks.”

“No.” I spoke. “That is actually a good proposal.”

“But Sajangnim-“

“The search and rescue is our main objective here. If there will be instances that there’s still resources to do the usual work, then it will be done. Rest assured that our pacing of the search and rescue will be stable, if not, quick and concise.” I spoke again.

Majority of the team seemed to agree, making Mina sigh in her thoughts with relief. I let Mina continue and the team agreed of her proposal. But for the one who raised an opinion earlier, she was really eager to find a crevice of imperfection in Mina just to be against her proposal. I would refute and explain Mina’s proposal to everyone and they stood to their ground in agreeing.

The presentation ended in time. I let everyone go back to work. I let Mina lead them and let the refuter of opinions stay.

“Y-Yes, Sajangnim?” She stuttered.

“Let me have a word with you.” I said.

She nodded and sat back down. I got an adjacent seat and sat face to face with her. I began asking. “Why do you refute against Ms. Kang’s proposal?”

She looked at me and I could tell she was fidgeting. “She may be your co-worker back at the institute but for this expedition, she’s leading you and the rest of the team. If I were you, you’d put a little more trust on your leaders and avoid refuting against their proposals.”

I look at her eyes and got the fact rooted onto her head. I stood up and pat her back, then whispered. “Mina, mind me for the refutes of your action plan.”

“Mina, mind me for the refutes of your action plan.” She mumbled.

“Now go…” I spoke as my eyes lit grey. “…and apologize to her.”

I snapped my fingers as she nodded and left. I teleported to where Mina was to check if she did just that. Even though I’m a deity who can do the impossible, I had to be sure. I saw Mina and that worker as she really did apologize to her. Mina accepted it and then...

“You know, I would’ve thought CEO Ahn wouldn’t agree. I was almost speechless when she agreed.”

I stopped as Mina talked about that. I wouldn’t have time to listen to everything but somehow, I wanted to hear more.

“I may have seen something strange in CEO Ahn but I’d care less about it. Sajangnim is a cool woman.” Mina added. “I’m honoured to work with her.”

It flattered me. I teleported back to my room, holding my chest lightly as I saw the deity flying around my chandelier. I sighed and spoke.

“Why does it have to be like this? Why make my life out of misery and take it away when I will find the one to ease my suffering?” I looked up and she flew around the top of my head. “Ah, really…”

*knock*

I looked up and she was gone. I sighed and wondered of the sudden guest beyond my doorstep. I opened the door and I stopped as I saw the person.

“Sajangnim, annyeonghaseyo~” Mina bowed.

“Yes, Ms. Kang?” I asked back, gaining composure.
“I got a report from Head Shin. We’re almost at Antarctica, Sajangnim.” She answered. “She also wants to have a word with you.

“Okay.” I replied.

I went with her but I wondered as she walked by my back as if she was following me. For me, it was unsettling. I point to my side. “Walk beside me, Ms. Kang.”

She obeyed and we both went to the main control room. Dayoung got the computer ready as I saw Head Shin and Cho Hyeyeon.

“Sajangnim, we’ve arrived at Terra Nova Bay. Shall we conduct the search and rescue?” She asked.

“You have my permission.” I answered. “Kim, get the submarine running and we shall head to King George Island.”

She nodded and we were off to the first research station. Mina and I divided the work throughout the end of the expedition and settled as the submarine ascends. While I sat down, I saw Mina smiling.

“Someone’s excited.” I said.

“Ah…it’s a first, Sajangnim. Have you been here before?” She spoke.

“Yes…” I answered. “…about 200 years ago.”

••••••••••

Did I hear it right? Did Sajangnim say that she visited Antarctica 200 years ago, long before there were research stations here?

I would’ve asked again when it was time to move again. When the submarine was docked, CEO Ahn instructed to begin our expeditions in various areas around the continent. The whole team of 34 biologists went across as I was with my team of 16 to focus on the search and rescue.

I got Dayoung and Kim with me plus two more fellow biologists as we searched for the species. Going across the peninsula and took stops when we saw penguins. Dayoung would also find some fungi and bacteria as my fellow biologists and I got the penguins in safe cages. Kim would drive the giant sled as Dayoung and I did some premedication on the creatures. For the other two, they helped with Dayoung’s fungi and bacteria.

“Wait…” Kim stopped and we wondered. “I sense something…”

“Seals…” The first one spoke. “…Kim-sunbaenim, it could be dangerous. Should we go back?”

“CEO Ahn said not to risk anyone.” The second one spoke.

“You’re right.” Kim said. “Okay. We’ll go back.”

“Just in time too.” Dayoung said. “Hyeyeon said that CEO Ahn and her team got back. Your call, Mina.

“Alright. Let’s go back.” I said.

Just as Kim turned the sled around, there was a huge leopard seal chasing us. Kim pumped up the gas as we sped. I could cuss like the rest of us as the creature was catching up.

“Goddamnit, Kim. Pump it up!” Dayoung cussed.

“It’s in full speed, already!” Kim yelled.

I couldn’t let that beast get any closer. I stood up as Kim drove, grabbing a tranquilizer. I try to aim it at the seal’s head but I missed as it suddenly pounced and bit the back of the sled, causing me to fall over. I cussed and made a run for it but the seal was too quick. I thought it would be my last when a giant fish breached by the coast and bit the seal’s neck.

Kim stopped and we all gasped. I ran to get the tranquilizer and shot the fish and the seal and waited for the chemical to take effect. Once I did, I instructed the two to call the rest of the search team to help us with these large beasts. When they came, the two helped them in bringing the animals to the research lab. I was wiped out as I was in the brink of fainting.

“Mina!” Dayoung and Kim caught me. “Mina, are you okay?”

“I am…” I mumbled. “We should go.”

They nodded. We got back to the sled as Kim drove, following the search team with the animals. For me, I grew exhausted but to the least we got some part of the job done.

+++

“A great white?!” I gasped as we saw the animal.

"Great whites have high metabolism and cannot survive waters in temperatures from 1 to 2 degrees Celsius. How is it possible?!”

“That’s a mystery. However, CEO Ahn got to the bottom of it.” Dayoung answered. “We asked her and she said it’s no ordinary fish. It could be magical.”

“What about the seal?” I asked.

“Kim and the rest of our team went to heal it. It got a big bite on its neck thanks to the shark. For the penguins, they’re alright as well. And my fungi and bacteria collection are in the brink of a search test for phytochemicals.” Dayoung answered again.

“Can I help with some work?” I asked.

“No.” We looked back and there was CEO Ahn. “You were put at risk, Ms. Kang. You need to rest for now. Dayoung, check on the collected bacteria.”

“Yes, Sajangnim.” She nodded and went off.

I was left alone with CEO Ahn. She got a seat and sat face to face with me. She got some tea and gave me some.

“Thank you, Sajang-“ I said when I sneezed.

“Bless you…” She said and got me some tissues. “Are you hurt?"

“I’m alright, Sajangnim. I apologize for putting my team at risk.” I spoke.

“You didn’t put them at risk. You put yourself at risk.” She said.

“I’m sorry again, Sajangnim.” I apologized.

“No lives at risk next time, alright?” She said and I nodded. “Aigoo, you made me worry back there…”

I felt my heart beat of her words. I look at CEO Ahn and she was also resting on her chair, rubbing her temples. I guess she must’ve worked hard and with the dilemma on my team, I added to her worries and thoughts.

“I’m really sorry again, Sajangnim.” I said.

“Don’t apologize. As a Head, I also worry for my workers. It’s a thing you’ll get into someday since you’re leading with me.” She said and I agree with her words.

“Sajangnim, can I ask about the shark?” I asked and she nodded. “Dayoung shared to me of what you’ve find out. I seem to believe that it’s not an ordinary shark. It could come from the unknown or from the deity herself.” 

“I don’t know where you’re getting at but okay?” She said.

“And it’s not just the deity, I think it was from the PenSang.” I spoke.

••••••••••

“Where do you get that idea, Ms. Kang?” I asked.

“Ah…it’s a story my great-grandmother told me and I seem to believe that and…” Mina spoke but she had to hold back some words.

“And?” I spoke again.

“…and I can’t help but think that you’re the PenSang.” She finished.

“Wow. That escalated quickly…” I mumbled. “…now why would you say that?”

“One, Great-grandma told me everything about the PenSang and she even told me that I was the destined human to ease that being’s misery. Two, I dream of the said being and I see it in you and three…” Mina huffed. “…voices in my dreams tell me that you’re the PenSang."

“It’s just a dream, Ms. Kang. What proof do you have?” I asked.

“I got another set of gists, Sajangnim.” Mina said. “Fourth is how you call me formally rather than my name and fifth, you’re not speculative about this. Oh yeah, and sixth, Great-grandma told me that she’ll come as a marine biologist like me."

“That’s just nuts.” I mumbled again.

“You killed someone with a swipe of a hand, you eased that crack in the aquarium, and you teleported in front of me. I see it, Sajangnim.” Mina said. “I can’t deny it now. You ARE the PenSang.”

“I’m not.” I said again.

“You love to eat sushi, right? And do you smell blood a lot?” Mina began to ask and I gasped.

“Yah, why are you asking sudden questions?” I asked back. “Well if you think I’m this PenSang…” I stood up and went closer. “…what do you see in that?”

“I would see brown hair, pale skin, nice fashion of a blue sweatshirt, a lab coat, grey pants, and black shoes, a nice body…and…” She looked into my eyes. “…a wonderful set of brown eyes that turn grey…”

“You don’t see ‘it’.” I said. “Then you’re wrong. I’m not the PenSang.”

“Who said about seeing ‘it’? What do you mean, Sajangnim?” Mina asked again, standing up too.

I sighed of this. Not only I broke laws from the deity, I had to at lying to this person. “Aish, let’s not talk about it anymore, Mina."

She gulped and sat down. I wondered as a blush creeps its way on her face. She mumbled. “You said my name…”

“So what if I did? It’s about time I start calling you with your name.” I reasoned.

“One…” She started. “…if I see ‘it’, is there an initiation for the PenSang and the destined human to get married? Two, if I see ‘it’, will you grant me wishes and three, if I see ‘it’…” She looks at me again. “…will you not leave and say that you love me?"

“I’m lost…” I sighed as I put a hand on my forehead. “…the attack tolled your thinking in another direction…”

“Just admit that you’re the PenSang…” Mina said. “…because I’m the destined human. I’ll ease you from your misery. I’ll put a smile on your face and make you happy.” Mina stands up and got closer to me. "Can’t you let the destined human in your life so that it’ll end peacefully?”

“Yah…do you…” I spoke again. “…do you see ‘it’?”

“You still didn’t answer my question about that ‘it’. I don’t know what it is but what if I do?” Mina batted.

“Prove it.” I said again.

“You didn’t answer my questions.” Mina batted again.

“You don’t see it.” I said for the last time.

“I see ‘it’. I really do…” She said, pointing at me. “…I see you wearing a bloody body of a penguin and having the head of a great white shark for a hood."

The lights went out and the emergency lights were on. I could only gasp as Mina still pointed at me. When an emergency light broke, my blue aura shone together with my look. She got the gist right and she got me out of my secret.

She saw the bloody body of the penguin and the shark’s head as my hood. My thoughts were opened. I was indeed the PenSang and Kang Mina was indeed the destined human that will finally end my suffering.

“To be completely honest, I saw it ever since you came into the institute. Now what does make me now, Sajangnim? Am I not the destined human?” Mina spoke again. “Am I not?”

“I think you are…” I spoke back.

“So…” Mina lowered her head. “This is how cool the deity works…” Mina looked to smile at me. “I never that I had a crush on the PenSang and that I was really destined for her. Great-grandma was right about everything.”

I couldn’t utter words anymore. The Almighty has made her word to me and it says that I will be ending this torment sooner or later.

••••••••••

I woke up with a nice sleep but when the thought of my sudden confession came up, I face-palmed myself.

“Mina!” A knock on my door greeted me.

I sighed and went to open it, seeing Dayoung and one person I didn’t expect. “Omo-Sajangnim?!”

“*ehem*, good morning, Mina.” She greeted. “I had Dayoung to come and wake up just in case you were still asleep."

“And I woke her up, Sajangnim.” Dayoung grinned.

“Yes, you did. Now go back and work on the fungi.” CEO Ahn said and Dayoung went off. “And you, Mina…” I gasped as she called me. “…get dressed and have breakfast with me. Then, we can resume the expedition.”

“Okay.” I nodded.

“I’ll wait for you here.” She said as she closed the door.

I leaned onto the door and squealed like a seal again. I hastily got ready and got out of the door to see CEO Ahn actually waiting. She was leaning by the steel walls and was gritting her white teeth so cutely.

“Sajangnim.” I called and she stopped her gestures.

She didn’t say anything and I followed her to the canteen. I ordered every food served and for her, she ordered all meats. When we got to our seat, I ate my heart out and I smiled as I looked at CEO Ahn eating her sushi.

“You do like sushi.” I said.

“Yeah.” She answered. “Why? Is there a problem with that?”

“I envy you, Sajangnim.” I pouted. “You eat a lot of meat yet you don’t get fat. And you’re always pale yet you have nice skin.”

“Like what you thought, great whites have high metabolism.” She spoke and I chuckled. “But can you really eat all of that?”

“Yes, Sajangnim.” I nodded to assure her. “I could ask you the same with all the meats.”

“I’m an apex predator. Of course, I can eat all of this.” She answered.

I chuckled and we ate again. Although it was all fun and games, we also discussed serious matters regarding the expedition. I told her about the animals we got earlier and she was impressed. I was even more impressed when they got polar bears, two more species of penguins, and even water from the bloody falls

“Can I ask another question?” I asked and she nodded while eating her flab of beef. “About the shark yesterday, did you summon it?

“Mmhhmm…” She hummed while nodding her head.

*badump*

I held my chest lightly as I look at CEO Ahn who was still eating. My sub-conscience was squealing, doing somersaults and hugging a large plushie of the PenSang, adding kisses by the cheek. I sighed and she gazed at me.

“Why are your cheeks red?” She asked as she gulped down her fish.

“Hehe…have some more meat, Sajangnim. Let’s not talk about my cheeks, eh? Ahehehe…” I said as I gave her some of my fish.

She shrugged and ate with me. I could thank the deity for this embarrassing yet nice meeting. It would be the start of something magical with the PenSang and her destined human. Me.

+++

“Handle Hyeyeon’s stack, will you?” Dayoung got to my cubicle with a stack of papers.

“What is this?” I asked.

“The other team by Terra Nova Bay got their documents sent here and Head Shin wanted you to handle them and give them to CEO Ahn.” Dayoung said.

“Aigoo…” I huffed. “…why me?

“Because you’re next in command to CEO Ahn, and also…” Dayoung smirked. “…consider that as a one-way ticket to your crush, HAHAHA!!"

I could cuss at this woman for teasing me. Nonetheless, I got the papers sorted and got them inside a box so that I can carry it and send it to her office. As I got there, I opened the door cheerfully but I froze as I saw CEO Ahn sitting on her chair. I noticed that the place was snowing with a little breeze. I think this is how the PenSang looks like when she’s lonely.

I put the box by the side as I called for attention by bowing again. “Sajangnim, annyeonghaseyo.

She looked at me with those eyes that made me fall for her. She sighed and looked at me. “What is it, Mina?

Oh, how I love it when she says my name. I got the box again as I placed it by the side of her desk. “It’s some documents from Terra Nova Bay, Sajangnim. Head Shin requested that I sort them out and give it to you."

“Alright.” She nodded. “You may go back and do your usual work.”

She moved her chair to the side and she sighs, causing another cold breeze and more snow inside the office. I huffed and spoke. “Uh, Sajangnim…I know you’re the PenSang and all but you might have to explain the snow and all if some workers come here.”

“That’s why I don’t let them come here. In fact, as CEO, only my second-in-command in this expedition can get in here…” She faced me. “…and that’s you, Mina."

••••••••••

Just like how the deity raised me from oblivion, I will be a deity of justice with misery as my reward. They say only the destined human can heal me out of my misery so that I can live in peace. With an expedition, I found her. But why is the deity playing with my thoughts and think that maybe I should live longer? Is it because of Mina?

Mina...

If I did accept, happiness will welcome itself at my door and my time to be with her will be shortened. If she did like me and I disappear, would it be unfair if we exchanged emotions? A thought of that made me even sadder...

And when I faced Mina with that emotion, she would’ve eased me a bit but somehow, I can’t let her.

“Uh, Sajangnim…I know you’re the PenSang and all but you might have to explain the snow and all if some workers come here.” Mina said.

“That’s why I don’t let them come here. In fact, as CEO, only my second-in-command for this expedition can get in here…” I faced her. “…and that’s you, Mina."

*badump*

I faced away slowly and held my chest. I had to be strong and not let these emotions go on. I sighed and said. “Mina, go back to work.”

“Sajangnim…” I heard her. “…is there anything I can do to ease your misery?”

“Mina…” I sighed, still looking away. “…not now…”

“But Sajangnim…”

“Mina.” I called again. “Please…”

“Y-Yes, Sajangnim.” She replied.

I could hear footsteps and hear her leave my office. I sighed again, turning my chair around and just immerse myself in work.

+++

I was checking all the specimen we got, especially the penguins and that one shark. I got Dayoung to take care of the reports as I wondered where Mina was.

“Where’s Mina, Dayoung?” I asked.

“Ah…she went to come with Kim to get some data sent to the other branch. Head Shin requested it to you, Sajangnim.” Dayoung answered.

“Was that the document Mina sent earlier as she wore proper swimwear?” I asked.

“Yes, Sajangnim. With the shark last time, they decided to investigate the waters for more sharks.” Dayoung spoke.

“Did they have all the proper gear?” I asked and she nodded. “Good. Take care of this for me, Dayoung."

She nodded and I went back to my office to deal with my agreements with Head Shin’s data of their part of the expedition. As I got to check some papers and settled them, I checked on the other parts of the team and helped them with whatever they needed. When there was nothing to do, I got a sweater and some hot packets as I went to Dayoung, patting her back.

“I’ll be out on my little expedition, Dayoung. Take charge until Mina comes back, okay?” I said.

“Of course, Sajangnim.” She nodded.

I nod back and went out. I walked onto the snow as the breeze blew on my face. When I was far enough, I teleported to the center of the continent, which where stood the igloos from 200 years ago. I changed my look and I was the deity in those books about me, the deity with the penguin-themed look with a shark’s head for a hoodie. I looked at the place. The igloos were already destroyed but a little bit of my blood was still here. I could only sigh as I recall everything that had happened to me.

Losing your life 200 years ago at the age of 20 was hard. Misery was in my step for all those years as I watch living things die while I was left alone in the world. What hurts me was when Mina’s great-grandmother died as she fell for a deity who didn’t feel the same and when I was incompetent to stop a devil from murdering my father. I guess this is what I get for not living a good life as the deity wants me to live.

Sajangnim…

I look up as the snowflakes dropped.

Is there an initiation for the PenSang and the destined human to get married? Will you grant me wishes? Will you not leave and say that you love me?

I’ll ease you from your misery. I’ll put a smile on your face and make you happy.

“You shouldn’t, Mina…” I mumbled. “…you’ll get hurt…and it’ll unsettle my conscience if you’re sad when I’m gone…"

Omo- Mina!!!

“Mina?” My eyes dilated as I have a vision.

“Sharks and a killer whale?” I mumbled as I see the same vision.

Something in me ignited. Something in me made me realize that I needed to do something. A gush of wind blew towards me as I teleported.

+++

I was underwater. I swam quickly as I saw Mina submerging onto the cold water. Her oxygen tank broke and a killer whale was swimming towards her. I hissed, swimming quickly and stopping that animal from hurting Mina. I got to Mina and looked around. I saw the sharks and they swam towards us and one got Mina onto its back. I held their fins.

Take her to safety…

They swam up and I teleported by the bay, seeing a vision that Mina was safe and sound and that the search team got the animals to the research lab. I was relieved. I was glad that nothing bad happened to Mina.

PenSang…let her in and let her do her part in making you happy…

“I’ll be gone and she’ll be sad if I do! And besides, I don’t want to go! I have to stay with her and protect her!” I yelled as I watched her fly despite the cold weather. “I’m going to take everything I’ve got to protect her. I’ll give her the cold shoulder if I have to, just to be with her!"

More delusions will arise if you don’t. The destiny of the destined human is to ease the PenSang’s misery. If she fails to do that, death will meet her all over again...

I look to the horizon and she flew away. I shook my head. I decide to go back.

••••••••••

I was with the crew to help with the search. We decide to dive down to see more of sharks, if there are one. It would’ve gone good but when my oxygen tank broke and a killer whale was swimming towards me, I couldn’t swim because the water froze my body instantly, leaving me to submerge to my death.

I thought it was my last. But when I saw a blue aura swimming towards me, I wonder. But when I saw the face and felt her, my great-grandmother was right.

The PenSang saved me…CEO Ahn just saved me from my death.

Her hug felt nice and warm. It made me sigh in relief and it made me safe. I saw a shark swimming below us but I felt that it was a good shark as it carried me on its back. Seeing the PenSang whisper something, I grew worried that I held her hand. But she eases me as she was gone. I felt the light by the water and the sharks swimming me up…and...

“Mina…”

I woke up and I was at my room. Dayoung, Kim, and Risa-unnie were on my sides as I got hot packets all over my body. They were all teary as Dayoung hugged me. “We thought you were going to die!”

“What…happened…?” I spoke.

“It was almost magical to believe. Two whitetips and a basking shark saved you.” Kim spoke as her eyes dilated. “When we took a temperature of the water, it rose to 13 degrees. Sharks would be able to swim this far in the Antarctic.”

“Where’s Sajangnim?” I asked

The three grinned cheekily as they made way. I saw CEO Ahn as she walked closer. Before sitting next to me, she gave instructions to the three and they went out to do their work. As CEO Ahn sat beside me, I sat up slowly when she helped me out.

“Slowly, Mina…” She sighed. “I can’t believe you got yourself at risk again. What did I tell you about-"

I stopped to hug her. She froze and I still hugged her. It would’ve been too sudden but with my visions, I couldn’t help express my gratitude in this manner, especially when the PenSang saved me.

“Mina…"

“You saved me…” I smiled as I leaned my head on her shoulder as my arms wrapped around her tighter.

“How did you…"

“I saw you.” I answered. “You looked cool in your hoodie."

“How cute of you to say that.” She answered.

“You’re happy, right?” I asked as I looked at her. “You’re hiding your smile. You’re happy.”

“I’m not.” She answered again.

“You’re lying.” I pouted. “But I’ll let that slip, oh great PenSang.”

“It’s not even funny.” She answered.

I sigh out of defeat in making her smile but I still hugged her. “Still, thanks for saving me."

“You’re welcome.” She answered and I felt her arm around me as her hand patted my back. “This seems quick."

“But we were destined so it’s not that quick and awkward.” I answered as I could hear my heart beat quickly.

“Maybe you’re right.” She answered again.

“Can I ask something? Can I call you Sohee?” I asked again.

“You can’t…” She said and I pouted. “…but you can call me with this name."

She lets go of the hug and got a pencil and paper. She sat next to me and wrote a name. I got curious and read. “Kim…So…Hye…"

“That’s right.” She smiled. “My real name is Kim Sohye."

“Sohye…what a wonderful name for someone who’s so sad.” I said.

“Yeah, it is…and as for you…” She inched closer and lets me lie back down. “…you need to rest. That’s an instruction from your CEO."

“Can I call you that when it’s just the two of us?” I asked again.

“Yes. Now rest.” She said, tucking me onto my blanket.

I nodded and she went out of my room. I caught a glimpse of her as she closed the door. I got my plushie, kissing it and hugging it tight. I managed to rest with a smile and a beating heart as my feelings were becoming too obvious.

It was too quick. But knowing I’m the destined human for the PenSang, it wasn’t. Because to me, I like her…I really do...

+++

Three months have passed since we came here in Antarctica. The expedition was of the usual but to me, the feelings for a CEO were growing bigger wings. I would work with Sohye 24/7 and we almost did the usual routines together.

We’d eat breakfast together, do search and rescue together, and even do office work together as we now both share the main office. The rest of the team were almost aware of my crush towards CEO Ahn and they didn’t mind about it. In fact, they said that it was almost a miracle because they’ve never seen the sad CEO with someone that eases her in unexplainable ways and they supported it.

Today, she and I were out to check out a spot in the center of the continent. According to Risa-unnie’s radar, she found a hotspot where sharks roamed inside a lagoon. I would’ve preferred the term ‘stuck’ since sharks get stuck in lagoons. We rode our sleds until Sohye motioned to stop and we both did.

“What is it, So?” I asked.

“Leave the sleds here.” She said.

“Huh? Why?” I asked again.

“Your CEO is the PenSang, Mina. I can just teleport us straight to the lagoon.” Sohye said.

I wowed. I’ve never seen much of the PenSang’s powers as I was excited to see her do her magical work. She got off, changing onto her deity form. I saw her on her hoodie and her pants, almost looking like Jack Frost. She inched closer to me and lent me her pale hand. “Come.”

I nodded and slowly held onto her hand. As I did, flashes of memories flooded, even memories of her and Great-grandma. I looked at her and she had tears as she held her chest tight.

“Mind me.” She said as she opened her eyes, showing grey orbs. “When a human holds the hand of a deity for the first time, especially if they’re destined, memories flash like that. In my case, I let out a little bit of tears.”

“My great-grandmother knew you before?” I asked.

“Yes,and I knew her even before she was born.” Sohye nodded. “I had memories with her. She had feelings for me but I couldn’t reciprocate because she wasn’t the destined human…” Sohye looked at me. “…you are…”

“Your hands are warm, Sohye…” I said. “…they look pale but they’re so warm."

“Anyways…” She spoke. “…let’s get to that lagoon.”
I nodded. I held onto Sohye’s hand as something really magical happened.

I was back to this place again. For Mina, it was a first. With Risa detecting the lagoon, I wouldn’t have thought that those sharks that once ate the flesh of my father were still alive. Nonetheless, I was about to go when I saw Mina looking around the place where some parts of the igloos still stood. Not only that, she saw the sea up ahead. I sighed and walked towards her.

“Mina.” I called.

“Did you mean this place when you said that you came here 200 years ago?” She asked me.

“Yes. You can hear all there is about me but we need to settle work first.” I said to her.

She nodded and followed me to the lagoon. We passed by remains of dead plants and Mina got some for research. We got to the iced lake which was as clear as glass. Mina looked down and there were sharks. Not only that, there were penguins hiding in the dead bushes. Mina wowed.

“How is this even abundant of species?” She asked me.

“I come here every year and sustain life in this area.” I said as Mina looked at me deeply. “I’m the PenSang, a deity fused from the shark and the penguin, hence the name. Not only I am a judge of good and evil in the human world, I am also a foundation of the lives of these specific creatures.” I got some food and the penguins went closer and got something to eat for so long. “I keep in touch with them and their habitat so that they will always live. For the sharks here, I kept them in this ice.”

“Why?” Mina asked.

“These creatures ate the flesh of my father.” I said.

“Sohye…” She called as I felt a hand by my cheek. “…I…”

“I tell you everything when it’s time.” I said, holding her hand by my cheek.

I put it down and turned back into Ahn Sohee. I got the communication device as I called Risa. “We’re here. Get the search team here.”

I put the device down. “Now we wait for them.”

“Will I be able to stand this cold?” Mina asked.

“Mina, you have me. You won’t die in the cold because I’m here with you.” I said to her.

Mina smiled and hugged me tight. I sighed and hugged her back. “Sohye-ya…”

“What is it, Mina?” I asked.

“Promise me you’ll stay with me.” Mina said. “From the cold until forever, promise me you’ll stay with me.”

I can’t Mina…I’m so sorry…

“Okay.” I answered.

Nightfall came but in this part of the continent, it was never dark. Mina and I broke from our hug and looked up, seeing Aurora Australis, the Southern Lights. Mina wowed and I held her hand and we went towards the ice on the deep lagoon. Mina was struggling but I held her arms tight and we glided on the ice like professional ice skaters.

The team would get here in five hours. The time was enough to set a fire, get fish cooked, and get an igloo standing to give us shelter. Mina and I had wonderful company as we gazed at the fire. Then, Mina scoots closer as she held my hand and leaned on my shoulder.

“Sohye-ya…Great-grandma told me that every deity was a human from the past life. Is that true?” Mina asked.

“Your Great-grandmother was right. I was a human before, born on the 19th of July, 1779. I was an icemaker here in Antarctica with my father.”

Mina and I got out and laid on the snow. When the Southern Lights were shown, my story was told as Mina watches it like a movie. Seeing my past life flash before my eyes, I could cry as I remember my father’s death. A tear came out and I gasped as I felt a hand wiping it off. I looked to the side and Mina was also teary.

“I’m so sorry for your past life, Sohye-ya…” She said. “But you won’t be sad about it because I’ll be here for you.”

“Mina…”

We sat up and I felt Mina cup my cheek. She inched closer and I gulped of this feeling in my chest. If I keep this up, I’ll lose her forever. This can’t be happening…even if it’s destiny for Mina, it’s not for me. I don’t want that to happen to her…

I scoot away only to see the search team. Mina and I got up and we led them to the lagoon. They got the safest cages, ice picks, and aquariums set. As much as I’d keep this place, I won’t be able to maintain it again. The animals here need to be kept safe and be moved to another place to survive as they deserve a better home than here.

Mina and I didn’t interact after that. With her words, I couldn’t stick to them. I couldn’t care less if I don’t get to tell my feelings. As long as I’m still here with her, it’s enough for me.

••••••••••

It was the fourth month and Sohye and I didn’t share any personal time like last time. Days without interaction have been sad for me. Even though we get to work together almost every day, a part of me missed her. I miss her look of concern, her hugs, even that time at the center of the continent as we had our nice moment together.

Now, there was none of that. Sohye had been distant and worked her way without thinking of me. Seeing her ignore me hurts me. And with those interactions, I wonder why she couldn’t be happy when she was with me. I could feel her happiness but why can’t she admit it?

I was done with work for today so I decided to rest and read my great-grandmother’s book all over again. I read the same phrases as I recalled Great-grandma telling them to me. I got to finish the book when I noticed a last folded page. I wonder of it as I opened to read it.

The devil has made its mark and has tainted the innocent and sullen world with its filth. Justice will be served through you for the souls of loved ones have saved you but you have been stained by the filth of the devil and have the incompetency for desire, especially on the death of your father. You shall be immortal, serve as a judge, and see loved ones die without stopping their fate. It’ll be a blessing and a curse bestowed upon you. Only a destined human can ease your suffering. If she does, then you will finally be a peace and go in one with the foam of waves during the winter.

I took some time to try and understand what it meant. I tried to recall what my great-grandma would tell me and then, it hit me.

She said that if the PenSang will finally find happiness, she will be repented against her punishment and will finally live in peace. I would’ve thought it was a lie because why would the Almighty do that when the deity has repented? Shouldn’t she reward her for a change of action? It would be sad for the destined human to be left all alone when…

…the love of her life will be sent away…

*tack*

Is this the reason why Sohye was ignoring me? Is this the reason why she can’t say her feelings?
I couldn’t say anything as I jolted up and went to her room.

+++

*knock*

It was already late. Most of the workers were asleep so it wouldn’t be too suspicious if I went to the CEO’s room in the middle of the night. I knocked on the door as I sighed.

“Please, Sohye…” I mumbled. “…open the door. Let me in…”

A click was heard and I backed away. I looked up and there was Sohye, looking beautiful as tears stained that beauty. I went inside and hugged her tight. Sohye would’ve been shocked but she stood still, closing the door with her powers. As I hugged her, I looked around her room and it felt cold. I could only hug her tighter, nuzzling onto her shoulder, crying that she was sad.

“I know everything now. I know why you can’t say that you’re happy. You won’t show happiness because you don’t want to disappear…” I cried.

“Mina…” Sohye spoke as she wrapped an arm around me.

“If you show it, don’t. Please don’t…” I cried again, hugging her tight. “…don’t show it because I don’t want you to go…”

“I’m trying, Mina…” Sohye mumbled. “But how can I help it? I would’ve been thankful that we ignored each other because you gave me more time in this world…”

“I’m sorry. It’ll cost your happiness but don’t go…” I sniffled. “…y-you promised to stay, right?”

Sohye broke from the hug. She sighed and cupped my face. I held her hands on my face as I cried again, shaking my head, telling her not to express it. She sighed and kissed my forehead. I huffed as I felt her cold kiss easing my heart.

“I miss you, Mina. I’m so sorry if I have to give the cold shoulder. Don’t worry of me. I won’t be happy for your sake. I will be sad and miserable and stay here with you…just how much you want it…” Sohye spoke. “In order not to strain any confusion, let me say this…” Sohye held my face as we look in each other’s eyes. “…let my misery be a message that I love you…”

I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. I gulped and asked. “Sohye-ya…” I reached for her face. “…do you love me like how I love you?”

“I’ll love you when you want me to and when you need me to. After all, you’re my destined human…” Sohye said. “I love you.”

I broke our gap and gave her a kiss. Sohye would have her eyes dilated but she kissed back. We broke again as I pull Sohye close to me and kissed her again and again. We broke again and Sohye huffed as she grabbed my hand and placed my palm by her chest. I smiled, feeling her slow heartbeat then kissing her again. I wrapped my arms around Sohye and I pounced.

“Yah, Kang Mina!” I felt her carry me. “You know I have issues in carrying humans!”

“You’ll carry me because you love me~” I cooed as I pecked her forehead.

“It’s still so sudden…” She mumbled.

“Stubborn. I told you we’re destined so it’s not that sudden…” I sighed.

Sohye sighed but I continued to assault her with kisses until she sat on her couch, with me straddling on her lap. We gaze at each other’s eyes. I could pout on how cute Sohye’s grey eyes were. She even looked cute when twitched a little smile but I grew worried that she might disappear like dust in the wind so I glared at her and she returned with her sad expression. I smile again.

“Who knew our love was so ironic?” Sohye batted. “A happy pill goes out with a sad deity…”

I just sighed and we kissed again. It would really be sudden and ironic for the both of us. We were destined to be together but I couldn’t accept the fate of Sohye to disappear with happiness. She would be sad for the both of us but as long as she does that, she’s doing it for us and to let me know that she was happy with me.

••••••••••

Morning came and Mina was cuddling next to me, still asleep. I looked up and the deity flew above my head. I sighed and wondered what she will say to me, now that Mina and I confessed that we love each other.

I’m proud of you, Sohye. I’m proud of the fact you’ve awoken and learned to love…but do remember that nothing has changed. You will have to live at peace somehow.

“I know, Your Eminence…” I mumbled. “I know…”

“Love?” I faced Mina as she was waking up. “Good morning, my love…”

“Morning, love…” I said back, caressing her face.
Mina noticed the white butterfly as it flew. I sighed. “Okay, Your Eminence. You may go now.”

Aigoo…I can’t believe my little deity just told me to get out, aigoo…

“Sorry but you need to go.” I said and waved it off.

It flew away and Mina wondered of it. She laughed and I wondered what.

“Was that the Almighty? Haha…you looked cute talking to her…” Mina smiled.

I twitch my mouth lightly as I sighed. Mina still cuddled to me. “You’re so warm, my love~”

“Am I?” I asked. “But I feel cold.”

Mina laughed as she looked at me. We looked at each other as she caresses my face. She smiles. “I love you…”

“I love you too.” I replied.

*ring*

I want to get up but Mina didn’t want me to. I sighed, raising my hand as I got my phone and wondered of the call. It was from Head Shin. “Hello?”

Sajangnim, we’ve got a whale shark here at the second branch. Shall I let the team send it there?

“Is it injured?” I asked.

Only minor scars, Sajangnim.

“If you can heal it there, let it stay there. Just call me if it needs to transfer here. I’ll let Kim do the arrangements.”

As you say, Sajangnim.

I hung up and place my phone by the side table and Mina kissed my neck, making my face heat up. “M-Mina-ya…”

“Your scars look so cool…” She mumbled and kissed it again.

“Come on. We have cute sharks and penguins to save.” I said.

Mina nodded and we both finally got up. I saw her get her jacket when she kissed me again. “I need to go back to my room. See you, my love.”

“See you at the office, love.” I said.

She blew a flying kiss and left my room. I sighed and held my chest, adding a little scratch onto it.
Who knew happiness made my chest set itself on fire?

+++

Life with Mina and the rest of our team was almost a breath-taking experience. The objective of the expedition ended earlier than expected. We would’ve gone home now but everyone in the team wanted to stay a little longer to check more life around the continent. Not only that, a lot of things happened, especially the fact that I told everyone of my relationship with Mina. I thought they were flipping out but everyone supported us, especially Dayoung, Risa, and Kim.

For Mina and I, we always had our moments. I showed Mina my powers, took her to the same spot and even had our sessions in bed. That went on for a month. When the sixth month of the expedition came…

“Love?” I heard Mina call.

I was in my deity form, looking at the sea. I was standing on the spot where I died, the blood almost gone due to the weather. Mina came closer despite of my aura as she nullified against it, cupping me face and kissing me. We broke for air and I could gaze at her.

“You’re thinking of something. Is something wrong?” She asked.

“It’s nothing, Mina…” I said.

I got something from my pocket: a necklace I made for Mina. I let her wear it as she smiled, looking at the cute shark tooth with little penguin wings by the side.

“I love it.” She said as she hugged me. “I love you so much, Sohye-ya…”

I smiled when an eruption occurred. We looked at the back and a snowstorm was coming. I sighed as I got Mina and we got to our sleds. “Ride ahead, Mina. Hurry!”

She nodded and went ahead. I drove as well as right behind Mina, making sure she gets to the research center safely. I called Kim. “Kim, a snowstorm is coming!! Tell Head Shin to move out of Terra Nova Bay and get the submarine by the peninsula running! Hurry!!”

YES, SAJANGNIM.

Mina and I were almost by the research lab but the snow was catching up. I looked around and the snow was mostly aiming at Mina. I realized it all, to why was this happening. I cried as I rode.

PenSang...

“Mina!” I yelled as I stopped. “Ride faster!!”

She did. I sighed and cried as the snow stopped following her and it all surrounded me. I sighed as I got back to my deity form. My tears fell hard as I noticed a crack heading towards Mina. I gasped as I looked up, seeing the Almighty flying again.

”How long do you have to do this?!!” I yelled as the breeze slapped my face. “I promised her I won’t leave her!! I’ll be sad forever if I have to!”

Nothing will change, PenSang. If you don’t admit now, the destined human will die and the rest of her team. I shall wipe out everything in this land…

“No, Your Eminence, please…” I cried. “Mina will be so lost without me…”

I’m the Almighty, PenSang. What happened to your trust in me?

I dilated as I felt the ground shake and the waves were heading towards me from the side. I thought of my time with Mina and I knelt and cried.

Mina, my love…I’m so sorry.

PenSang…are you out of your misery with the destined human? 

It was very gloomy. I was now surrounded within the Almighty’s power and I saw Mina’s worried look and I gasped as she rode back here to get me. I lowered my head and cried…

Giving me this curse was the happiest thing in my life. If it wasn’t for this…not only I wouldn’t meet the destined human that eased me of my suffering but I wouldn’t meet a woman I can love forever…

When the last tear dropped, darkness came to greet me again…

••••••••••

“No! We’re not leaving without Sajangnim!!” I cried as Kim and Dayoung were pulling me inside the submarine.

“I’m sorry, Mina. It’s Sajangnim’s orders to leave now-“

“I’m not leaving!” I yelled as I got off of their grasps.

Despite of the strong natural phenomena coming towards here, I got a sled and drove back for Sohye. Seeing this, I pray and beg to the Almighty not to let Sohye say anything of her happiness. It’ll pain me if she’ll go. Sohye is my PenSang, my deity, my protector, and my love. I’d die without her…

Giving me this curse was the happiest thing in my life. If it wasn’t for this…not only I wouldn’t meet the destined human that eased me of my suffering but I wouldn’t meet a woman I can love forever…

“No…no, my love…no…” I mumbled as I continued to drive back.

A gush of wind greeted me and I fell off my sled. I huffed and got back on my feet when I saw myself close to the sea. But what shocked me was that I was still at the said center of the continent and there was Sohye.

“Love…” I sighed in relief and got to her.

She faced me and I gasped. She cried as I saw a red stain by her waist. She sighed and fainted when I caught her. I could feel the waves of the sea crashing and when the water hit Sohye, she was fading. I moved her away from the waves as I cried, hugging her close to me.

I cried my ‘no’s softly as I nudged Sohye to wake up. She didn’t. I nudge her again and again, my tears dropping onto her face when I felt a tug by my hand. I let Sohye sit up and I hugged her tighter, sobbing my ‘no’s this time. I couldn’t hold my cries and sniffles. It would’ve been hopeless to pray for the Almighty to bring Sohye back but the damage has been done.

“M-My love…no…” I wept, kissing her forehead.

“Sohye-ya, no…no…”

I felt her hug me back, adding little pats and I continued to weep as I held onto her for as long as I could. The waves hit us and Sohye was fading again. I move further as continued to hug her. I felt her break from the hug yet I didn’t want to let her go. She looked at me with tired eyes, cupping my face as I leant onto that hand, holding it and letting my tears drop.

“I’m sorry.” She called to me. “I had to say it because I’m afraid she’ll hurt the team…that she’ll hurt you…” Sohye spoke, caressing my cheek. “I’m also sorry I couldn’t express much after all you did for me, for how you loved me within the numbered days…” Sohye’s tears dropped. “I let her know and I also want you to know…that meeting you and loving you was the happiest moment in my entire life…”

“No…P-Please, my love….” I begged, grabbing her and pulling her close to me, our foreheads leaning against each other. “…y-you promised not to let go…*sniff*…you s-swore…” I sniffled and pecked her cheek. “You promised me you’ll stay…”

“Don’t cry for me…” Sohye wiped my tears off. “…I’ll come as the great white from the clear sea…and the emperor penguin inside the institute…a-and I’ll beg the Almighty and pray in my deathbed to do just that…and that I’ll find you in the next life…”

“No…” I punched her chest. “Don’t go, my love…” I sobbed. “Don’t go like this…”

“Mina…”

“I love you…” I kissed her lips. “I love you…I love you so much….” I hug her again as I felt the strong waves hit us and I felt Sohye fading away slowly.

I felt Sohye hold my cheek as my other hand held onto it. I still sniffled as she shushes me with a kiss on the forehead. “I love you too. The Almighty knows I do…”

Sohye lets go and looks at me. I was crying but for the first time in forever, I saw her smile fully at me. And when a strong wave hits us, I opened my eyes to see Sohye gone with the foam of the waves. And when I saw the snowflakes dropping from the heavens, I screamed and cried my heart out, crumpling onto the snow as I lost the love of my life.

“Why?” I looked up as my tears continued to fall. “Why did you have to take her away from me?! She repented, didn’t she?!! She had to be sad to be happy with me! What more could you ask for?!!”

I huffed and the next thing I know, I fainted, lost in the darkness and lost in a reality without the PenSang…

••••••••••

“Have a sandwich.” I said to a woman with a black fedora hat.

She looked at me with a sad smile and accepted it. I smiled as we ate together.

“I’m glad you smiled. Life can be tough but there should also be time to cheer up and smile.” I said to her.

“I’ll take that.” She answered.

“I need to go now.” I said, standing up and walking to the right.

“Stop.” She spoke and I faced her. “Go to the left.”

I wondered why but I nodded and went. I crossed the road and saw a small woman with a broken bike. She had tools but somehow, she didn’t know how to fix. I went to help her. “Hey, you could use more hands.”

“Omo-thanks for that…” She bowed as I got her bike fixed.

“Good thing you had the right tools.” I smiled as I tested it out. “There you go.”

“Thanks again. Say…” She said. “I heard a good store where penguin merchandises are abundant. Just go through this street.”

“Thanks.” I said and waved goodbye.

••••••••••

I was done eating my favorite sandwich and went on. I noticed a nice girl with an injured leg. I gasped and went to help her.

“Lady, are you okay?” I asked.

“Just a sprain.” She said. “But I’ll be fine.”

“Let me ease it a bit.” I said, giving a massage.

It lasted for a while. But when I noticed that the lady had an eased reaction, I pat her foot lightly. “There, good as new.”

“Thank you. May God Bless you, child.” She smiled.

I nodded and went on. I saw a nice sign to where nice penguin merchandises were and went through the staircase when I saw a woman playing guitar, holding a sign for charity work. I reached to my pocket for a bill and tossed in inside the guitar case. She thanked me and played again while I went up to see a stall full of penguin merchandises.

“Wow~” I cheered and looked around.

“Hello, child~” A woman with a dynamic voice spoke. “We also have shark merchandises here.”

I nodded and wondered what to buy. I had my eyes set on a 2-in-1 shark and penguin plushie. I went to grab it when I felt another hand beyond mine. I looked to my side and gasped of the person. She also gasped.

I let out a sigh before saying. “Found you…”

“You know I have issues in carrying humans…” She spoke.

“You’ll carry me because you love me.” I spoke back.

“It’s still so sudden…” She mumbled.

“Stubborn. I told you we’re destined so it’s not that sudden…” I sighed.

She smiled and boy, was I happy to see it again after so long? I let out a little bit of tears as she wipes them off of my face. She smiles at me and I smiled back.

“Kim Sohye…you know who I am, right?” I asked.

“I always do…” She said and held my hand. “…you are Kang Mina, the first and last destined human of the PenSang.”

END

===

Congratulations to @nesekki for winning on today's update. Just PM me of your favorite ship and I'll feature it in a next set of one-shots. For @babujjung, you may try on the next update.

To clarify the contest, I intend to find possible ships in IOI for every member. Aside from MiSo, what are my other OTPs for IOI? So comment them below. Same rules still apply.

Now comment away HAHAHAHA