Growl - Part 3

Dribs and Drabs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

From his observation point sitting across the table from Jiyong and Seungri in the school cafeteria, Youngbae was still a little surprised by how quickly the dynamic of the relationship between the two had changed. It had only been a matter of weeks since Seungri was attacked, and since then, the two had become completely inseparable. Any residual animosity between the two was gone, and the new closer than close relationship that was rapidly blooming was incredibly strange for the rest of their small group to accept considering that for the best part of a year the two were at loggerheads.

 

“Maybe we got the map wrong?” Daesung mused out loud. They were still trying to pinpoint the exact location the map was supposedly pertaining to. So far nothing seemed familiar, and they'd already searched everywhere they could think of.

 

Daesung basically said what everyone else at the table was thinking. It seemed the excitement of them apparently figuring out the map was beginning to wane. “So what now?” Seunghyun questioned, looking to the others for ideas.

 

“Now, we go back to the drawing board...” Youngbae sighed aloud, slapping the improvised map they'd currently been using down on the table in a defeated manner.

 

Not wanting to feel deflated by their current situation, Jiyong scooted forward on his chair optimistically. “How about we all meet at mine tonight?” He suggested. “We can order some food, get a few bottles of wine... and we'll look at it all again. Maybe there's something we missed.”

 

 

“Maybe,” Youngbae agreed, not that he really believed that. After all, all they'd done was study them damn scar-like-tattoo's ever since they'd realised they didn't seem quite natural. It was getting to the point where Youngbae was starting to question that maybe it was all in their imaginations and that maybe, just maybe, it was all just a mere coincidence and that their scars weren't anything important or leading them to anything after all. But then, Seungri being attacked by those men; the fact he was sent here on purpose and had the exact same type of scar; the men who attacked him asking about a map – these few points alone suggested that they were indeed on the right track.

 

On this thought, it brought back the other issue they had. The issue they'd put to one side while focusing on deciphering their hypothetical map. “Whatever this map is, we need to figure it soon because those men will be back.” It was a certainty they were all sure of. The fact they were willing to hurt Seungri badly to get this map made them all too sure about how important this all was. This map was obviously of value, and had been entrusted to them. It had been hidden in such a profound way it suggested their parents didn't want it to get into the wrong hands. Whatever it is, and wherever it leads to, they need to figure it out and find it fast.

 

 

* * *

 

 

“We're never going to find it,” Seungri stressed in frustration whilst tiredly kicking at the undergrowth. He and Jiyong had been out looking for Seungri's necklace for the past two weeks. Or to be more precise, from as soon as the younger wolf had realised it was missing and was well enough to move around.

 

“Its got to be here somewhere,” Jiyong tried sounding a little more positive and optimistic about it, even if truthfully he doubted they'd find it as well. There was too much undergrowth and foliage, it was like trying to find a needle in a giant haystack. But Jiyong knew how important the necklace was to his lover, he never took it off but unfortunately when he'd been chased that night and had fought against the attacking wolves, the necklace had come off somewhere and it was starting to look like it might be lost forever.

 

Not that they'd give up looking because Jiyong was determined - however long it took to find, he'd be there right by Seungri's side. “It couldn't be at the apartment, could it?” Jiyong wondered in uncertain suggestion. In all likeliness he knew it wouldn't be there because they'd already sorted through the apartment, as in stripped it bare.

 

“No,” Seungri quickly dismissed. “I was wearing it when I shifted, I remember running and the pendant hitting against my throat,” he recalled, while at the same time trying to remember when he no longer felt that distinctive tapping sensation. It was all a bit of a blur though, at the time Seungri was too busy running for his life to really think about anything else.

 

“I really think we should ask Bae for his help, he's seriously good at finding things,” Jiyong suggested once again, because it was something he'd already mentioned to the younger numerous times.

 

“I already told you, I don't want to bother him,” Seungri answered in the exact same way as he did every time Jiyong brought up asking for help.

 

Placing a supportive hand on Seungri's shoulder, Jiyong applied a bit of pressure. “It wouldn't be a bother, he'd be happy to help. His eye-sight, honestly, it's amazing.”

 

“It's not like he can see any differently to us,” Seungri mused, not understanding why Jiyong was so persistent in Youngbae helping.

 

“Well actually... Youngbae, he's not...” Jiyong went to speak, but was cut off by Seungri.

 

Sighing loudly and throwing his hands up exasperatedly in the air. “I give up for today, we'll look again tomorrow.” And with that he stomped off, leaving a perplexed Jiyong to follow.

 

 

* * *

 

 

Later that evening, as previously arranged, they gathered at Jiyong's to review their thoughts on the theoretical map. It was so frustrating, finally having all the puzzles pieces but seemingly being unable to make them fit.

 

During the past few weeks they'd drawn each of their scars to scale, rearranged them in every way imaginable and yet still the location eluded them. “We're missing something here,” Youngbae stated the obvious.

 

“Yeah, like any idea of what all this is supposed to bloody mean!” Daesung chirped with frustrated sarcasm.

 

Pointing to the image of Jiyong's scar, Seunghyun waved his finger round in emphasis, “Try turning it round the other way.”

 

“We've already tried that,” Daesung pointed out, but nevertheless he did as instructed and turned the image. “See, it doesn't fit. That line doesn't follow on... It has to be this way.”

 

“Maybe the map actually is right and we just haven't found the right location,” Seungri made a suggestion much to the disapproving look on the others face's.

 

“We know this town like the back of our hands Ri,” Jiyong spoke for the pack. “This map,” he emphasised to the hypothetical map in the middle of them. “There is nothing here that's familiar.”

 

“So maybe its not here,” Seungri randomly commented, but his flippant words had them all staring at him with wide disbelieving eyes. Of course the thought had occurred to them, but it was something they didn't want to think about because if the map wasn't indicating to somewhere in their town, then they had no idea where to start looking.

 

“Please don't say that,” Daesung outright asked. “Don't even think that... Seriously Seungri, I just.... No... I don't even want that thought in my head.”

 

“It's got to be here somewhere,” Youngbae tried to reaffirm, but his words didn't sound all that convincing. “I mean it's got to be... Right?”

 

Youngbae's uncertainty seemed to loom heavily over them all, because if even Youngbae was having doubts then it might just be true. Maybe they had been looking in the wrong place all this time, but the idea the map could be depicting somewhere else just didn't seem logical, it made no sense.

 

 

 

The night it seemed was a bust, any enthusiasm to work on deciphering the map was lost. Like previously arranged though, they ordered food and got some wine regardless of their more sullen moods.

 

Whilst waiting for the food they found themselves actually talking normally for a change. No mention of the map, or anything else that had completely overtaken their lives lately. Instead, as the night wore on they found themselves engaged in more light-hearted conversations as they talked fondly about their shared childhood while also taking the opportunity to get to know Seungri a little better.

 

It turned out, that contrary to their previous thoughts about Seungri – their childhood friend had led a very normal, very typical suburban life until roughly a year and a half ago. Then things started to go wrong, fast. His father, who had been the alpha of their pack became increasingly secretive and paranoid. Seungri always had a good relationship with his parents, especially his father but in the last few weeks before his father was murdered, his father was distant and acting strange.

 

The last conversation he'd had with his father was panicked and rushed, his father merely giving him instructions to leave right now as he placed a piece of paper in Seungri's hands telling him to go there. Seungri could recall the desperate look on his father's face, and despite trying to look as calm as possible, there was an undeniable fear in his father's eyes that chilled Seungri to the bone. And although every fibre of his being screamed at him to stay by his father's side, he did as his father asked, only making it out of the window seconds before the door to his father's office was forcefully kicked open. Then, from his unfortunate position crouched just below the window, he watched in painful disbelief as his father was brutally murdered by someone he thought he could trust with his life.

 

“And that's why I'm here...” Seungri finished explaining the shortened version of his life story. “This is where my father told me to come in the note he shoved in my hands”

 

“So you don't really know any more than we do,” Top surmised after thinking over what Seungri had just told them.

 

“The four of you probably know more than I do,” Seungri was quick to admit because truthfully he knew nothing, only that his parents had been murdered and now people were chasing him for a map. A map that thanks to Jiyong and the others he now knew something about.

 

“Do you remember anything else?” Youngbae pushed, hoping Seungri would recall something that might help them.

 

Seungri took a long moment to consider. Racking his brain he tried to remember anything that might be relevant to their current situation but truthfully, there wasn't anything that stood out. But then, if he was honest, he didn't really know how to differentiate; he didn't know how to separate the relevant information from non-relevant because before all this, there was no need to consider what his father might actually have been trying to tell him through what Seungri had assumed was just regular conversations. Maybe his father was trying to convey snippets of information but Seungri just hadn't realised. Maybe his father had given him clues but Seungri just hadn't listened or understood properly. So now he found himself questioning himself, questioning his memories, trying to decipher what could be hidden messages in his late father's words.

 

Jiyong observed his lover, watched as Seungri seemed to get more and more anxious as he thought about all this. He guessed the question brought a lot of memories to the surface, and not all of them good – after all, who would want to replay the horrific death of a loved one.

 

Feeling the need to steer the attention away from Seungri, Jiyong changed the subject as naturally as possible, “So the full moon is on Sunday, can everyone make it?”

 

It was a stupid question really given the fact nobody had ever missed a full moon, it was only Seungri that gave him a questioning look as he had no idea of what that meant. Obviously he knew what a 'full moon' meant to wolves, but not to them as friends, as a pack.

 

“Its become... sort-of-like a tradition, I suppose,” Jiyong let the younger know, feeling that was the best way to describe it.

 

“There's this cave when you head deep enough into the forest,” Youngbae started to explain.

 

“There's no tracks or trails that lead to it,” Daesung added, trying to set the scene a bit more. “It's not on the grid... In fact, I think there's only us who have ever been there.”

 

“Anyway,” Youngbae continued with what he was saying. “It takes a few hours to get there, but it's totally worth it... There's nothing like being able to be your true self among nature.”

 

“So Seungri, will you be joining us?” Seunghyun asked for them all.

 

Seungri's eyes met Jiyong's in that moment, as if silently asking if it was okay for him to come. He didn't need to answer though, as Jiyong impulsively answered for him in a serious tone. “Of course he's coming, he's one of us now.”

 

Although Seunghyun, Daesung and Youngbae had already figured as much, Jiyong's words were blatant in their meaning. Seungri was now officially a part of their pack. It didn't matter what any of the other's thought, their opinion didn't count in this matter. Jiyong completely trusted him, Jiyong

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter