Chapter 2: An Almost Perfect Murder

The Young Miss of the Lan Family

Yixing didn’t think a murder could occur at a party. He can see why whoever the murderer is picked a party, with many guests attending, he or she can blend in with the crowd. The hardest thing to imagine is that the murder was committed when he and Bingbing were on the same floor. They just happen to be outside, meaning they had an opportunity to return and prevent a murder from occurring. If only they weren’t distracted, Hana could have lived.

Luhan and his team searched for clues in Bingbing’s room, they found another weapon that might have also been used to murder Hana. A scissor was found on the ground near the bed, the pointy end was covered with a small bit of blood. Since they found the trophy next to the body and the scissor near the bed, they believe that Hana was stabbed first but when she was found to still be breathing they used the trophy to ensure she stayed dead.

Baekhyun was about to cover Hana’s body with a white cloth when he noticed a piece of paper in Hana’s clenched hand.

“Luhan,” he called out. “I think I found something.”

Luhan and Yixing went over to where Baekhyun was as he showed them what he discovered. Yixing carefully pried open Hana’s hand to take the paper out. As Luhan uncrumpled the paper, the contents left them speechless. It is a photograph and since it was found on Hana, it might be the reason she is dead.

“Uncle Luhan,” Jiaojing demurely asked. “Did you find something that could tell us why Hana got murdered?”

“Jiaojing is right, Brother Lu,” Mr. Lan said. “If you found something, it’s best to share it with us. We might be able to help.”

“Fine. I do have some questions for Jiaojing.” Luhan said as he handed the evidence to Baekhyun to bag while whispering, “Hide it.”

Baekhyun quickly headed to where Chanyeol and Sehun were at so he can hand the evidence to them after bagging it.

“I was changing into another dress because I…” Jiaojing spoke softly as she looked at her hands. Just as she was about to continue, everyone heard Xiao Ai exclaimed loudly. “Why are you hiding that?! Isn’t it evidence?!” Xiao Ai shouted as she grabbed the evidence from Baekhyun. “Why is Bingbing kissing this man?”

“What!” Yifan, who was near Xiao Ai, yelled as he grabbed the evidence before Baekhyun can get it back.

The evidence Luhan wanted to hide is a photograph of Bingbing and a tanned man, they look to be kissing. It was hard to tell since the angle the photo was taken, a bit of the man’s face is blocked by Bingbing’s face. Although they look to be kissing, their lips don’t seem to be touching. Was Bingbing having an affair which her maid discovered so Bingbing murdered her to keep the affair a secret?

“What’s wrong?” a red eyed Bingbing asked as she walked out of a room followed by a big eyed young man. “I heard Xiao Ai shouting.”

Yixing was about to answer when the sound of a slap echoed throughout the hallway. Everyone was frozen in shock as Yifan never raised a hand against Bingbing but to think the first time it happens would be in public witnessed by many people. Bingbing fell to the ground with the big eyed young man tending to her.

“What was that for!?” Bingbing shouted, holding onto her cheek.

“You…” Yifan said as he pointed at her then snatched the evidence from Xiao Ai to throw at Bingbing. “How dare you cheat on me when I treated you good for all the times we’ve been together.”

Right when Yifan was about to raise his hand to deliver another slap, it stopped in midair. The force that stopped Yifan’s hand is Luhan, who didn’t look happy especially when he returned the slap back to Yifan.

“Mr. Wu,” Luhan coldly said with a glare. “I’m only going easy on you because you’re my goddaughter’s fiancé. So the next time you do something like this in front of me, I’ll make sure to return it tenfold.”

Luhan also sent a glare towards Xiao Ai, “I’d appreciate it if you learn to sit still, Xiao Ai. I could arrest you for messing around with evidences we found.”

Xiao Ai let out a squeak as she darted behind Jiaojing, “I’ll be good.”

Luhan helped Bingbing up as he checked her face for a bruise. Everyone knew how much Luhan treasures Bingbing which started the rumors how Luhan is her father despite the fact he was adopted by the Lan family although he doesn’t take their last name as his own. But he was friends with Mrs. Lan’s sister, Mudan, who died in a gang shooting, it also sparked rumors how Luhan became a detective to find the gang who killed his first love. Many even wondered if Mudan could be Bingbing’s mother since those who knew Mudan remarked that Bingbing greatly resembled her. Maybe that explains why Luhan cares for Bingbing because she reminds him of Mudan.

“Yixing,” Luhan said as he gently touched Bingbing’s cheek. “Take Bingbing and Kyungsoo to a room, along with the evidence. I’m sorry, Bingbing, but we might need to interrogate you about the evidence.”

Bingbing nodded her head in understanding as Yixing led her and Kyungsoo to the room they came out of earlier. He knew Luhan wanted to prevent anyone from badmouthing Bingbing. Namely, Yifan who is quick to believe Bingbing is having an affair. They need to know about the photo first and see if it really does relate to Hana’s murder.

“I’ll get a wet cloth for you,” Kyungsoo said as he headed to the bathroom inside. “Just in case your cheek will develop a bruise.”

Once Kyungsoo left, Yixing felt the need to apologize, “Sorry about what Yifan did. We didn’t expect it.”

“It’s fine,” Bingbing said, lightly feeling her cheek. “I’m used to times when Yifan’s temper flares up, the slap actually caught me by surprise.”

The door suddenly burst open with Zitao rushing in after slamming the door shut.

“Are you alright, Bingbing?” Zitao asked while holding onto Bingbing’s hands. “I should have hit Yifan for doing that to you. I don’t care if we’re related but you’re more important than he is to me.”

“I’m alright, Zitao. It’s not too bad. Don’t forget I also have Kyungsoo with me.”

“Are you saying you don’t need me anymore?” Zitao whined while pouting.

Bingbing pinched his cheeks, “You know you’ll always be my little brother while Kyungsoo is my best friend.”

Kyungsoo came out of the bathroom with a wet cloth which he pressed gently to Bingbing’s cheek.

“Why were you in there a bit long?” Bingbing asked.

“I got a text from my boss that he and his brothers will arrive soon.”

Yixing was in his own world as he observed Bingbing talking to her friends until he remembers what he needed to do.

“Bingbing, before you told me that you and these two are in the same photography class. Correct?”

“Yes.”

“Then is it possible, one of you might have been the one to take the picture that we found in Hana’s hand.”

“I almost forgot about it.” Bingbing said as she placed the evidence on the table for all of them to see.

“I think this was from my polaroid camera,” Zitao said as he stared at the evidence. “That time, I couldn’t find my digital camera so I had to use the polaroid one.”

Yixing felt a bit confused, “Are you saying there’s more of this?”

Bingbing provided the answer for him, “Our professor can be picky, he wanted us to use two different cameras to take the same picture.”

“The other one should be from my digital camera.” Kyungsoo said. “I remember that Bingbing kept all of the photographs we took.”

“Then, are you all familiar with the man in the photo with Bingbing?” Yixing asked.

“Yes, we are,” Kyungsoo replied as he takes away the wet cloth from Bingbing’s cheek. “We took it at my work place, during that time it was Pepero Day.”

“Pepero?” Yixing questioned. “So, you were playing the Pepero Game and that’s when you took the picture?”

“We took the picture because that was the only moment when we weren’t doing anything that looks like we’re acting.” Bingbing said.

“Our professor gets annoyed if we posed for a picture,” Zitao said with a frown on his face. “We don’t get graded if the pictures look like we’re posing, he wants it to look natural.”

“I never heard of that kind of thing before…with photography.” Yixing said. “Then who was the man with you in that picture?”

“That man is my and Jiaojing’s dance teacher, Kim Jongin,” Bingbing said, she kind of detected a jealous tone when Yixing asked. “He’s also one of the brothers of Kyungsoo’s boss.”

“So, Yifan never met him?”

“No. He was always busy so I never got to introduce them.”

“Wait,” Kyungsoo said. “Luhan said this is evidence. Is there a reason for it?”

“Baekhyun found it in Hana’s hand,” explained Yixing. “It’s really shifty because I remember how much you and Hana got along. But why would the picture be in her hand?”

Everyone in that room were deep in thought. It was a mystery why Hana had the picture in her hand. Since she and Bingbing were close, what reason would make her grab a picture of her mistress, making her mistress be labeled the culprit.

“Do you think the murderer is framing you?” Kyungsoo asked.

“Frame me?” replied Bingbing. “I can’t think why anyone would want to frame me. I don’t exactly have that many enemies.”

“Do you want to look around your room?” asked Yixing helpfully. “Maybe you might notice something if you see how it looks.”

“I- I guess.” Bingbing said a bit hesitantly.

Bingbing handed the evidence back to Yixing as they all got up to leave the room. As they head towards Bingbing’s room, Yixing saw Bingbing freeze up. The sight of Hana’s dead body might still haunt her since the murder occurred in her room. He gave Bingbing a reassuring pat on her back, in a way telling her that he will be with her so she doesn’t need to be afraid. When they enter the room, Yixing noticed that the white cloth covering Hana’s body is gone, Luhan might have the team take away Hana to prevent traumatizing Bingbing.

“Did you finish the interrogation?” Baekhyun asked. “Luhan and Sehun are in another room with most of the people on this floor. He’s either interrogating them or threatening them for making a fuss.”

“I think it might be good to have Bingbing look around her room,” explained Yixing. “Just in case she’s missing something or we find some clue that tells us who the murderer is.”

Chanyeol immediately rush over to give Bingbing gloves also to Zitao and Kyungsoo, as a precaution.

“Your room looks fine,” explained Chanyeol. “The only thing that looks like someone went through it are your bed and I think your desk.”

Still feeling uncomfortable being near the bed, Bingbing went for her desk. Bingbing noticed her scissor is missing until she remembered hearing that a scissor was found next to the bed. When her eyes landed on her photo box, she notices it looks like someone went through it. Half the pictures in the box were scattered, as if the person was looking for something. Bingbing began looking through the pictures, remembering that she did have two pictures of her Pepero Game with Jongin.

“Is anything missing?” Yixing asked as he peered over her shoulder.

“That picture…” Bingbing said as she placed them all back in her photo box. “The other one is missing. But…”

“But?” questioned Yixing.

“The only ones who about this box is Hana and I. No one else in my home knows about it.”

“Then maybe the murderer really did plant it there to accuse you.” Kyungsoo pointed out.

“Can I point out something?” Baekhyun asked.

“Sure.” Bingbing replied.

“When we were taking pictures of the crime scene,” explained Baekhyun. “As I looked around your room for fingerprints, we couldn’t find any. So far, we only found yours and Hana but no one else. Not every person is smart to know to hide that.”

“Then…” Zitao trailed off. “It must be someone you know because those close to you know about your love for detective fiction.”

“That could be true,” said Bingbing. “But it doesn’t explain why they went after Hana. I know she can be nosy but she didn’t deserve this.”

Bingbing walked towards her bed, with her gloved hands she smoothed out the blanket then look at her hands.

“Was there no blood from Hana’s body?” Bingbing asked.

“That was also weird,” explained Baekhyun. “We did believe Hana might have been stabbed first then hit with the trophy. From what we observed maybe she didn’t died here but was killed elsewhere then her body was transferred here.”

Bingbing stared at her bed, once more.

“It could be like that, there was something I learned in British history that reminds me of this,” said Bingbing as she walked towards the men. “A woman was believed to have fallen down the stairs, her neck was found broken, so her death was declared a suicide. Although there are rumors that her husband or the Queen hired an assassin to kill her to make it look like she fell down.”

“That could explain why no blood was found.” Yixing said.

“Do you have pictures of the weapons?” Bingbing asked.

“Yes, we do.” Chanyeol said as he held the pictures for her to see.

“The trophy…” said Bingbing as she held the picture for a closer look. “It was the one where I won against Jiaojing in a dancing competition.”

“Can I say something?” Kyungsoo asked. “I just hope what I point out won’t offend you and Zitao.”

“Why?” Bingbing asked. “What is it on your mind?”

“Is it possible…” Kyungsoo said a bit nervously. “Is it possible for Jiaojing to be the culprit?”

“What?!” Bingbing and Zitao exclaimed.

“Why do you think that?” Zitao asked.

“I noticed when Yifan slapped you earlier, I thought I caught a glimpse of Jiaojing smirking. That’s why I didn’t say anything but the fact that the trophy where you took first place from her was used.”

“It’s too bad she has an alibi.” Sehun said from the door.

“Sehun,” said Yixing. “Is Luhan finished?”

“No, he wanted me to check on all of you. I also suspect your sister despite her clever alibi.”

“What is her alibi?” Bingbing asked.

“She needed to change into a new dress because she spilled wine on it,” explained Sehun. “She has Xiao Ai and Yifan as her witness.”

“Yifan as a witness?” Zitao questioned with a frown.

“He claimed he needed to use the bathroom on this floor but it was occupied by Xiao Ai.” Sehun said with smirk. “Who might have been having a little fun with someone in there.”

Everyone blushed at what Sehun told them about Xiao Ai while Zitao quietly made a vomiting sound. No one needs to know about Xiao Ai and her affairs.

“Oh!” Chanyeol exclaimed, a bit too loudly. “I thought of something.”

“There was no need to be that loud.” Baekhyun said covering his ears. “Nearly blasted my ears off.”

“You said your maid is nosy,” explained Chanyeol. “Maybe she might have witness the murderer doing something so he killed her. He chose to make everyone think you did because he might still be here and hasn’t left yet.”

Everyone looked at Chanyeol with a shocked expression except Bingbing.

“You make an excellent point Chanyeol.” Bingbing said. “A criminal would find ways to throw people off his scent with distraction.”

“Are we really considering that…” Yixing trailed off, unsurely. “…a murderer might still be here? Hiding among the many people here?”

A shriek from downstairs got everyone to freeze. Everyone came rushing out, only to hear Mrs. Lan shouting at some guests.

“Ah!” shouted Mrs. Lan. “Why are those Kim brothers here!? This is an invitation only party. How did they get in?”

Mrs. Lan and the guests argued all the way upstairs. Until they stopped in the same hallway everyone else is in.

“We were invited to BINGBING’S ENGAGEMENT,” a young man emphasized in a cheeky tone. “We didn’t come for your daughter’s birthday party. We are only here for our precious Bingbing.”

He then walked up and put his arms around Bingbing, shocking some people with his closeness to Bingbing.

“It’s still an invitation only party!” Mrs. Lan continued complaining. “I made sure the maids knew which place to send an invitation. I’m sure I didn’t include your names or your addresses!”

“Actually,” said Bingbing as she raised her hand. “I’m the one who gave them the invitation. The invitation to my engagement party.”

Mr. and Mrs. Lan look at Bingbing in shock. They never knew she was close to the Kim brothers, their moral enemy. When Mrs. Lan wanted to scold and question Bingbing, Yifan cut her off.

“It’s you!” Yifan shouted. “You’re that guy from the photo with Bingbing!”


8/26/17

This chapter had many changes from the orignial one I posted. I didn't like the way I wrote some of the parts which is the reason for the big changes. 

There's a part where I wrote that Bingbing and Kyungsoo came out of a room. For that part, think of it as Bingbing crying when she saw Hana's body so her friend Kyungsoo brought her away to help calm her down. There's also the part where Kyungsoo took a bit too long in the bathroom, his reason to text the Kim brothers about the situation and for them to help Bingbing out.

I also decided to include the picture I found to give you an idea of how Bingbing and Kai looked with the Pepero. I chose one I found of Tao and Suho, think of Tao as Bingbing and Suho as Kai.