Chapter 4: How Did Hana Died?

The Young Miss of the Lan Family

Hana’s Point of View

I’ve always been told that I look younger instead of older, people mistaken me to be a young mother when I first took care of Young Miss. But I’m only 40 years old, I know it’s impossible but it’s true. I’ve thought that I would live until Young Miss have her own family but it turns out that my wish will never come true. Those cruel people made sure of it.

I did not like the idea of Young Miss being engaged to Young Master Wu. I just felt like Young Master Wu would one day hurt my Young Miss and if he did…I wouldn’t be forgiving. Young Miss suffered so much ever since she was born, starting with the death of her mother, who was my dearest friend. I hated how I was forced by Mr. and Mrs. Lan to lie to Young Miss if she ever asks about the nature of her mother’s death.

“You must never tell her how her mother died,” Mr. Lan said as he stared at Hana rocking a baby Bingbing to sleep. “If she asks, tell her that her mother died giving birth to her.”

“But…what if she decides to find details about…her mother’s death?” Hana questioned.

“It’s the same thing, Hana!” yelled Mrs. Lan.

“If that happens,” said Mr. Lan. “Your job is to steer her away from learning the details.”

“Why are you both doing this?” Hana asked, still rocking Bingbing to sleep. “A child deserves to know how their parents died.”

“I’m sure you remember seeing her father,” said Mrs. Lan looking hateful as she remembered Bingbing’s father. “If that man ever reunites with his beloved daughter, think of what they could do to our Lan family.”

Hana knew what they meant but she also knew how greedy they were. By taking in Young Miss as their own daughter, they get the money and possessions her mother left for her. But they won’t succeed especially when Luhan saw to it that only Young Miss herself can touch what her mother left for her.

I think…that must be the reason she got engaged to Young Master Wu. Since “her parents” are unable to get their hands on what they wanted, they are using her future husband as the one to help them get it. I guess that is where my bad feelings for Young Master Wu came from because I know that he might do something to hurt my Young Miss. Which is why…I made sure to tell the Young Miss anything I heard about him.

At the engagement party, I couldn’t help but try my best to keep an eye on Young Master Wu. All those rumors about him with a mistress got me protective of Young Miss because I didn’t trust him with 2nd Young Miss Jiaojing. They seem so intimate with each other and I did find some…things about her that I need to tell Young Miss about. I couldn’t believe my eyes with what I discovered, I made sure to make a copy of what I found in case the evidence disappears. But Young Miss…she does not like hearing rumors, she hated how people twist things up for their own enjoyment.

“I hate how my parents don’t do anything about those rumors.” Bingbing said, drinking a cup of Peony tea.

“Is it those rumors about you and Luhan again?” Hana asked, adding hot water to the teapot of Peony tea. “Don’t those people understand that adopted and blood related have nothing in common?”

Bingbing looked deep in thought as she drank her tea, “It would be nice, if Luhan is really my father. At least…he cares for me more than my father does.”

Hana wanted to blurt out the truth to her Young Miss…but she remembers that if she did she could get in trouble. It’s more important to stay by Young Miss, Hana felt like if she was to, one day, disappear her Young Miss would be deeply hurt. With her intuition, Hana decided to gather the important information and keep it in her room. If something happens to her, then Young Miss might find whatever she needs here.

I realized I forgot one important thing, the man who is Young Miss Mudan’s husband. I was there when they both secretly married behind the Lan’s family back. But…I can’t seem to remember how did he look, I know there were photos of their wedding but I can’t seem to find it. It might be their work, they warned me to not tell Young Miss anything so they hid anything that showed how Young Miss’s parents.

It’s strange though, even though I forgot how he looked like, I thought I spotted him…at Young Miss’s engagement party. Luhan told me how Young Miss have her mother’s beauty and personality and she have her father’s eyes. It was a glimpse but as I was serving drinks at the party, I thought there was a man with similar eyes to my Young Miss. I know I’m not hallucinating because I think that man, he looked kind of surprised to see me. Does he remember me?

If my memory wasn’t so bad, I would be able to remember his name and his face. I know I’m nosy but I make up for it with gathering information. Young Miss always praise me about that although she did warn me to be careful when it comes to being nosy. I felt like I can become a spy, although I learned that being a spy is very dangerous especially when you get caught.

“Just be careful, Hana,” Bingbing said. “You have to remember to never get caught. People these days prefer killing rather than negotiating to keep secrets.”

So far, I never got caught when it comes to being nosy at gathering information. There were times where I almost did get caught but managed to find a way to sneak out without being discovered. If only I done the same for this time, maybe I wouldn’t have ended up dead. But…I am glad to have died because my death allowed Young Miss to learn the truth about what those people are hiding from her. I hope that boy would take good care of Young Miss, I feel that he’s the one for her…

The Moment Hana Died

Hana was still in her thoughts about the man with familiar eyes after Bingbing left with Yixing. She still can’t remember the person’s name but she did kind of recognized him. As she looked around the room, Hana spotted the gift Bingbing mentioned to leave in 2nd Young Miss Jiaojing’s room. Bingbing may not get along well with Jiaojing but she does try her best to be nice to her. Hana witnessed the many times Bingbing and Jiaojing did bond and it seems that Jiaojing is the problem.

“Sister Bingbing, I’m sorry,” Jiaojing said as she handed a pink and white Lolita style dress to Bingbing. “Mother does not think this kind of dress is appropriate for me.”

“But you told me that you love these kind of dresses,” Bingbing said holding the dress in her arms. “They are a big fashion trend in Japan. Zitao told me how you even asked him to get you one of those dresses.”

“I’m really sorry,” Jiaojing said as she bowed her head down in an apology. “Maybe…maybe when mother is not around you can give me that kind of gift. If she sees it…she might criticize it.”

Bingbing looked disappointed to see her gift being rejected, some people would accept it back dejectedly but she didn’t want to be like those people.

“Just keep it,” Bingbing said handing the dress back to Jiaojing. “If mother finds it, I will take full responsibility.”

Jiaojing hesitantly took the dress back with her, she turned to leave after thanking Bingbing.

2nd Young Miss Jiaojing seems to have inherit her parents scheming ways, she made herself be a victim in their eyes while Young Miss is the bad person who started it all. But Young Miss is not that gullible to fall for 2nd Young Miss’s fake kindness, a good example of that is when Young Miss got 2nd Young Miss to kneel in apology when Xiao Ai refused to do so.

Hana was tempted to not give 2nd Young Miss Jiaojing the gift but she knew that if she did that then Young Miss would get in trouble from her parents. Begrudgingly, Hana took the gift as she headed to the door. She looked back around the room just to be sure she didn’t forget anything. On her way to Jiaojing’s room, Hana thought she saw Xiao Ai leading a boy to the bathroom.

“I hope you get caught, Xiao Ai,” Hana whispered to herself. “If this if your gift to 2nd Young Miss, then I’m sure she will really love how you humiliate her on her own birthday.”

As Hana arrived at Jiaojing’s room, she noticed the door was open slightly and she could hear voices. Besides Jiaojing’s voice, Hana could hear a male’s voice, she could recognize it as she heard that voice many times.

“Did you like my gift?” The male asked Jiaojing, from outside Hana could only see the male’s backside as he held Jiaojing in his arms.

“I didn’t open it yet,” Jiaojing said as she turned to face the man holding her in his embrace. “But I prefer having you than something you bought.”

As the two share a kiss, Hana felt anger surged through her body. Hana decided to confront them if she were to get her Young Miss as a witness these two would be gone by then. She won’t let them get away with this.

“What are you two doing!?” shouted Hana as she barged in the room, surprising the couple who broke apart. “So, the rumors about you are true, Young Master Wu.”

Yifan stood in front of Jiaojing attempting to hide her but she chose to stand by his side. Jiaojing reached out to hold Yifan’s hand in hers as she questioned Hana, “What are you doing barging in my room, Hana? I thought big sister taught you better.”

“I was asked by your parents to fetch you,” Hana lied. “I was about to knock on your door when I saw it was slightly opened. The smart thing to do would have been to lock the door or close it to hide your secret.”

Hana needed to stall for time, maybe her Young Miss might come here if she couldn’t find her. But…she had a feeling she won’t get out of here alive. If that is her fate, she might as well interrogate these two.

“Does Young Master Huang know?” Hana asked as she stepped back to close the door. “Were you both planning on continuing this affair when you both are married?”

“No, he doesn’t know.” Yifan answered. “I don’t think it’s any of your business to know about us. You’re just a very nosy maid who needs to be put down.”

“Go ahead and kill me,” Hana said, shocking the two lovers. “But know that if you do, Young Miss, will hunt you down and make you suffer.”

“Just because Big Sister enjoys detective novels, it doesn’t mean she’s skilled enough to be one.” Jiaojing said as she walked to her dresser, looking at the hair accessories on there.

Hana stood in front of the door, making sure they will not leave the room. She would even die holding onto this door.

“I ask you both before,” Hana said as she looked at the two. “Were you planning on continuing this when you both are married.”

Yifan walked up to Hana and slammed his hands on the door. With Yifan being too close to her, Hana realize she is trapped. Even if she felt scared, she is determined to discover as much as she can. She already knew that secret about the maternity ward, all she wants to know is how long were they planning to keep this affair.

“Since you’re so anxious to know, I’ll tell you,” Yifan said as he coldly stared at Hana. “Once the wedding happens, I will leave your Young Miss at the altar while running off with my one true love along with all the money your Young Miss have under her name.”

“You can’t do that,” Hana exclaimed angrily. “That money can only be touched by Young Miss, no one can access it. Luhan made sure of that.”

“We’re lucky with the upcoming wedding,” Yifan continued. “Bingbing told me she wanted to use that money for her special occasion. She even offered to split half with Jiaojing and Zitao for their wedding.”

Before Hana could say anything, one of Yifan’s hands covered . Hana felt something pierced into her stomach, looking down she saw a hairpin sticking out.

“Just so you know,” Jiaojing said as she moved Yifan’s hand from Hana’s mouth and wiped his hand with a handkerchief. “My parents know of our plans…they fully support what we are doing. I feel sorry for Zitao but I’m sure he might want to marry Big Sister to save her from being humiliated.”

Just as Jiaojing finished, Hana managed to pull out the hairpin. She purposely spits out some blood which landed on Jiaojing’s dress. She held onto the hairpin, one of the evidences that will point towards her killer. As she fell to the ground, she thought of her Young Miss with that man, she hoped that he will be there for her Young Miss when she finds her body.

“You need to change your dress,” Yifan said as he pulled Jiaojing towards her closet. “We need to find a way to hide the body. Maybe, we can make it look like Bingbing did it. Our plans might change because of this but we’re quickly advancing towards it.”

Jiaojing pulled Yifan into a kiss, attempting to calm him down. With him panicking, they might not be able to hide Hana’s body. They need to be calm as they do this, if they mess up their future will not be like those happy fairy tale endings.

“We need to be calm,” Jiaojing said as she caressed Yifan’s face to calm him. “After I change, we will try to hide Hana’s body in the bathroom. Then we will use something of Bingbing’s to make it look like she committed the murder.”

As Yifan helped Jiaojing change into a new dress, they both failed to notice that Hana’s body disappeared. All that is left is Bingbing’s present to Jiaojing with a bit of blood on the side. Hana made her way to Bingbing’s room, despite how much pain she was in she needed to leave a clue to her murder for Bingbing to find.

Hana was lost at what to leave for Bingbing to find until she spotted the desk with the box of photos. She quickly looked through the photos and randomly pick one in a hurry. Hana thought of tearing the photo until she spotted the scissors next to the box. She chose to cut the photo in an unusual way, after she finished she looked it over to be sure that it can be readable. Hana wanted to leave the photo here but those two might see the clue she left and get rid of it.

“Hana,” Jiaojing said in a singsong way. “Are you in here?”

Hana quickly put the photo in her pockets, hoping that it won’t fall. She grabbed the scissor to defend herself, only for the scissor to be knock out of her hands by Yifan. As she struggled to get the scissor back, it went by very quickly when she felt something heavy hit her. Landing on Bingbing’s bed, Hana saw Jiaojing holding the trophy Bingbing won for a dancing competition. Hana took her final breath as she stared at the two lovers with a look that send chills to their hearts.

“Since she’s already in Bingbing’s room, let’s leave her here,” Yifan said as he walked towards Bingbing’s bed where Hana’s body lied.

“Wait,” Jiaojing stopped Yifan. “You need some gloves, I wore this just in case if we touch anything in here. Without the gloves, they will know we are involve. Just use the gloves that I keep in my closet.”

The moment when Yifan left, Jiaojing quickly went through Bingbing’s box of photos. She needed a photo, one that would give people a reason to think Bingbing killed Hana. Jiaojing knew she found the perfect one, a photo of Bingbing and their dance teacher, Jongin, playing the Pepero Kiss Game. From the angle the photo is taken, it looks like they are kissing.

“This is perfect,” Jiaojing whispered to herself as she crumbled the photo into a ball. “I’m not sorry to do this to you, Teacher Kim, if only I was your favorite student then I wouldn’t have done this to you.”

Jiaojing quickly stuff the crumbled photo in Hana’s hand. She decided to try to move Hana’s body herself but the sight of Hana’s open eyes scared her that she gave up.

“What are you doing?” Yifan asked, he now have gloves on his hands.

“I-I was trying to move the body,” Jiaojing stammered. “But her eyes…they creep me out. I don’t think I can do this.”

“I’ll do it,” Yifan said. “Did you know Xiao Ai is in the bathroom up here with some guy?”

“What?!” Jiaojing exclaimed. “How did you know?”

“As I was getting the gloves, I thought of hiding the items we used in the bathroom,” Yifan explained as he positioned Hana’s body on the bed. “When I got to the bathroom door, I heard sounds coming from inside. I remember seeing Xiao Ai head in there when I came up to see you.”

“So that’s where she went off,” Jiaojing said angrily. “Maybe we can expose her dirtiness also. I distinctly told her to never invite that boy toy of hers here.”

“Do we have anything else beside that trophy linking us to the crime?” Yifan asked looking around the room. “I grabbed this box that Hana left behind, I thought it best we hide it since her blood is on it.”

“The hairpin,” Jiaojing said. “I remember you stabbed my hairpin in her stomach but…where did she drop it? She had it in her hand when you help me change my dress.”

“We don’t have time to look for it,” Yifan said as he looked around the room once more. He spotted something that might be useful. “Let’s use this scissor as a clue to her murder. She was holding it when we found her.”

“Maybe…we should stab it where I stabbed her,” Jiaojing pondered. “No, wait. Maybe get some of her blood on it? She did pull out the hairpin and you said she was holding the scissor…”

Jiaojing took the scissor and walked over to Hana’s body. Seeing that the blood from where she stabbed Hana hasn’t dried yet, Jiaojing wiped the scissor’s sharp edge from the wound. Hoping that the blood on the scissor is enough to make people believe that Hana was stabbed with the scissor.

“We should leave the trophy here,” Jiaojing said as she walked to where the trophy laid, deciding to place it next to Hana on the bed. “We are accusing her of murder so it’s more believable to make people think she didn’t have time to hide the murder weapon.”

“What about the box and your dress?”

“We might have to hide it in the laundry room. Once things quiet down, we can get the items and burn it. Let’s hurry to the laundry room before Bingbing returns, we have to make it so I discovered the body and you were downstairs in the bathroom.”

The two lovers made their way to the laundry room, unaware that what they thought is a perfect murder…isn’t exactly perfect. They didn’t find the cut-up photo Hana hid in her pockets.


8/26/17

This chapter is from Hana's POV just in case if it gets confusing to anyone. I also found the perfect image of how I pictured Hana to look. For Hana's age, I just randomly thought of a number. 

Mizuki Yamamoto as Rin from Black Butler the movie