episode three: taeyong’s undying affections

Reply 2015: the colour of youth
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"time waits for no one."                  

 

 

Taeyong finds himself falling way too frequently than what is considered remotely normal.

He means it both figuratively and literally. Taeyong has some uncanny ability to find beauty in everything he sees, but it doesn't matter how gradually or briskly he finds it, they all mostly end in similar results. The flame dies off as promptly as it had been ignitied. Most of his friends have already gotten quite used to his monthly conquests, but this did not mean imply that they approved of his behaviour.

Jennie calls it implicitly foolish affections that normally end with acid repercussions. As much as he wishes to strongly deny it with all his might, he secretly knows she's right anyways. It’s only been a recent occurance—starting from this year after he met a couple of students from parties in a drunken haze.

"So what are we planning on doing for Jimin's birthday?" Taeyong curiously questions in a low whisper during the midst of Chemistry class. The boy's birthday was coming up very soon and all of them have agreed on planning a surprise party. Jimin is a little oblivious to most of the time anyways so it should be fairly easy to trick him - they're only hoping Seungwan and Sana will be able to keep quiet this year.

"Probably party at Seulgi's place on Friday night," Taehyung responds while lazily drawing random circles all over his notebook which was supposed to serve as a place for notes not terrible sketches. However, the latter does not seem fazed about it in the slightest.

"Who's picking up the cake?" He furrows his eyebrows in dubiety. Taeyong had assumed they were celebrating tomorrow, on Thursday, not the day after. (he supposes he probably. . . accidentally mixed up the dates.)

Memory is not his strongest suit. Well, certain ones anyways. The ones that matter never leave his mind for longer than a brief period of time.

"Uh," Taehyung stammers for a second, trying to draw the piece of information into his mind, "I think—"

But he's swifty cut off by a fuming Chemistry teacher whose had about enough of the chit chat at the back of his classroom. Especially when he was in the midst of explaining a highly important concept. Taeyong thinks that if smoke was pouring out of the teacher's ears, the effect of an anger short male in those animations he sees on television would be complete.

"Mr. Kim and Mr Lee," the teacher snaps with blatant exasperation, "quit your chatter and pay attention when I speak. Understood?"

"Yes," he meekly replies, while darting Taehyung a sullen, dejected look. It stunk to be scolded by the teacher in front of the entire class, especially when he can hear Jennie snickering quietly nearby. He flips her off underneath the table; Jennie sees this and salutes back to him in a playful manner. Not that he can avoid the rosy red wave  washing over the tips of his ears over being scolded in front of the class.

After all these years, Taeyong is still terrible with unwanted public attention. But can you really blame him? He had a collection of terrible experiences back at middle school.

His nickname was Taeyong Needle Arms.

It's honestly mind-blowing and sincerely infuriating on how preteens were able to fail classes yet still come up with witty, not to mention, hurtful nicknames It was not his fault that he hated the gym back then. His arms were not that thin, Kang Daniel just had buffer arms than he did during their small days of friendship before the latter had scurried off to move back to Busan. Traitor.

It was even more terrible that Daniel was friendly too, sticking by Taeyong just in case somebody would . It just emphasized the comparison to the degree of full-blown embarrassment. Unfortunately, Taeyong never had the courage to tell him that he was making the situation worse by sticking close to him. Some people found it endearing though. 

To this day, Taeyong still hates dressing in sleeveless shirts. Even though his arms have grown and toned due to countless hours at the gym, trying to change his physique. Hard work truly does pay off sometimes. Other times, it doesn't.

"Momo's coming—" Taeyong hisses in the middle of the hall to Taehyung as they exit the classroom and wander around for break, "hide me somewhere!" He inwardly curses at himself for spacing out in the middle of the hallway. Panic starts to seep in while he debates where to mad dash to next.

"You're still embarrassed about it?" Taehyung snickers to the other before expertly steering them into an English classroom nearby. "It didn't really seem like you were that interested in her." 

"Yeah. It just happened recently." He narrows his eyes at the latter in an attempt to be threatening. (it ends up looking more like a confused expression instead.)

"I realize that but did you like her?" It is a valid question and he understands why. Taeyong sees  the softening look in his eyes and wonders if he’s alright once more.

 Taeyong merely furrows his brows in thought. The answer is quite clear. Taehyung guffaws before hitting him squarely in the stomach with his flimsy notebook, trying not to send a piercing stare.

"That was rude," Taeyong snorts while shooting daggers at the annoying friend still probably reminiscing his past failures. "Also, seriously unnecessary. Don't you have some other people to bother instead of me?"

"No," Taehyung abruptedly stops chuckling, lightly shrugging his shoulders in a nonchalant manner. "Sana informed me that some girls were going to camp at my locker throughout break. I'm currently in the midst of hiding."

"Again?" he adds in an incredulous tone.

The other boy visibly winces; he runs a hand through his hair, successfully messing up the dark, unruly hair even further. It was no obscure fact that Taehyung was notoriously popular amongst the female and male population around school. There were dozens of little messages posted frequently in his locker and desk; most of them filled with secret admirer notes or compliments. It had gotten so severe one time, they ended up filling three plastic bags, before Taehyung promptly threw them in the air in frustration. (in which he picked up afterwards, because he knows the effort spent on each individual one.)

The one time it truly toned down was when he dated a girl who occasionally visited his part-time workplace over the course of summer break, and that was only because

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter