One

Sonnet

*this was planned as one shot but my hand slipped. If you're reading this, thank you.

 

This morning, Seunghyun woke up feeling as if there's a lump on his throat and when he was about to brush his teeth, he pukes. He's been puking almost every morning now, he wonders whichever god sent blessing his way that he was still able to do his daily errands well despite everything.

Maybe he should see doctor. The cold sweat during midnight was not helping him too. During his night breakdown, he'd feel all cold and hot at the same time. He remember trying to gargle but he was afraid that he'd puke on his bed so he just sipped a bit of water and dunked aspirin. He didn't remember putting wash cloth on his forehead though, when he woke up in the morning, his fever was still slightly there and there was a damped wash clotch with a basin on his desk. He'd try to pat him self later for actually be able to taken care of him self when his head was so goddamn spinning last night.

His stomach growls so he dragged his weak body to the kitchen only to found out that there was some packages of instant porridge awaits at kitchen corner, that he didn't remember buying so he put one into microwave and waited. He can't help but wonders, on how he would be able to grabbed him self a wash cloth and basin and also when did he ever bought instant porridge cos he's always prefer ramen, to be honest. But he'd let it slipped then, he made him self a warm cup of green tea, also grabbed two aspirin and waits for his food.

Living alone while being sick is quite hard, cos when you're sick you get whiney and you just wanted other people to take care of you. But not with Seunghyun, he was always a loner. His parents passed away ever since he was a kid. He grew with his aunt's family from his mom's and by the time he's old enough to work and to support him self, he cut ties and started doing everything alone. He's thankful for his aunt's family though, they were kind that they managed to took him for years but Seunghyun knew all to well that behind him, they didn't like him at all, especially his aunt's kids. They were jealous on why an outsider get to spend time with their dearest mommy and daddy? So Seunghyun decided to go out for good.

To say he is a hardworker would be an understatement. He never go to college, economic problem wise, but he knew he was capable of a lot more. He started his first job with double part time jobs during his last year of high school. He'd go to school during the day, and as soon as the bell had ring, he ran to his 1st workplace, coffee shop. He worked as a barista, and also help them with dishes and cleaning. He did everything that he could as long as the boss would like him, as long as he'd be able to keep this job. And during the night, he worked at a korean chicken restaurant. He was anxious at first, he was afraid that it would get messy, how drunk and full-stomach people would fighting with each other. But it was never happened in the chicken restaurant. So he did his best to juggle sleep-eat-and double part time jobs in between.

Life gets quite easier after he finished high school, he started getting paid more too, since he could double his shift now. That he end up working 8 hours during the day at the coffee shop, went home to eat and shower and sleep for an hour or two, and then he'd get up to the chicken restaurant. His sleeping schedule was a mess, but he'd do anything so that he'd be able to pay his apartment rent, his electricity, his food, and other bills. By the time he reached his 3rd year of working two jobs, he started to get more recognition. His boss loved him so much that he'd made him an operation officer at the coffee shop saying that someone with daily experience to the business would be the best person to work for this position.

As much as he loved making drinks, he prefer to have a firm 9 to 5 job so he took it gladly. But he still worked after hours at the chicken restaurant though, mostlikely because the owner treated him like a son and he finally know how does it feel to have a mother. He always slept late, eating instant noodles at night to put his budget stable and drank coffee after his shift - his body started to betray him. The chicken restaurant's owner was kind enough that she gave him a week off and packed him some homemade soup. He didn't heat it this morning, he was feeling a bit under the weather so he decided instant food would be faster, so that he would be able to reconcile with his bed soon.

He took some days off from his corporate job too, since the coffee shop had been doing great - Seunghyun already gave his operation plan for the next two weeks that the workers would just follow on his cue. At least he didn't have any unfinished work to do now, now that he's sick. His boss adviced him to go see doctor but he refused. Not because he was afraid of doctor and their syringe but mostly because he wouldn't be able to afford it. He knew all too well that this is not just the usual fever that come and go, or just feeling a little bit under weather cos sometimes when it was really bad, he found him self puking his stomach out into the toilet that he'd be munching 4-5 menthol candies to stop the nausea. He was afraid that this might be some strong desease, but he figured he'd check it later then, as long he still can walk during his sick days and as long as he's okay and healthy enough to work his jobs, he figured he didn't need to go see doctor.

 

It came back even stronger, Seunghyun was getting better and better but his job at the coffee shop sometimes stressing him enough with business presentations and meeting up with vendors and also that he need to learn about financing skill that it made him somewhat panic and stress. Sure he understand how the daily operation and supply chain of the coffee shop but to give him a task of making financial budget for the new year is a little bit too much. He started to become really stress that his acidic stomach starts acting to the point that he starts puking daily, and the motion only made his fever got worse. 

 

At least he's home, he thought. After finishing his instant porridge, he goes straight to his bed, sitting and he end up sleeping there. His fever had come back and when he tried to open his half-lid eyes, he saw it, he saw him. As he walked to the kitchen to grab a drink, he started by holding out to the wall just to make sure he won't fall and then he saw something, someone, a boy, dressed in white, bare foot and there was a funny looking hat that looked like a freaking halo, on top of his blonde hair. And if he wasn't crazy yet, he saw the boy was reheating his soup that he got from the chicken restaurant boss, and he freaking saw that the boy was flying from the stove to the refrigerator to took some eggs and to boiled it together with the soup.

 

"I must be seeing things."

Seunghyun walked near the stove to refilled his water bottle and he sensed some movement near him, as he tried to compose him self and taming his fever, he drank and when he raised his head, he'd meet by the boy's eyes on him. It's clearer now, more vivid, as if the boy's opacity gets intensified when you're close with him.

Seunghyun blinks and the boy blinks too. He started to get really confused now, was this boy just a product of his longing and lonely soul? That he produced him self an angelic looking imaginary boyfriend? When he put down his glass, the stove was turned off, dinner was serve (rice, steaming soup, a cup of green tea, and one packet of ginseng syrup - partly for his nausea and problematic stomach). He realized that he was alone then, the boy was gone, but there was food. Maybe the boy was just his imagination after all, maybe it was never someone else's cooking, maybe it was just Seunghyun's work, maybe he is hallucinating, just like how sick people would do sometimes.

 

He is starting to get really tired of second guessing him self so he sat down and tried to eat. He decided to drink the syrup first so that he'll feel better and he would be able to enjoy his meal then. When he gulped the ginsep syrup, it tasted real bad-hot-bitter all at the same time and it burns him. But he wanted to get bettet so he gulped it all and started reaching for a cup of warm water, but his stomach starts failing him, he end up with puke all over the floor, messy and smelly ginseng mixed with his previous porridge all over the floor and he cried.

 

Not because the ginseng syrup that he got from his chicken boss was expensive, not because he was angry, but because he was tired, he was tired of being sick. His head starts throbbing and it only made him feel even more nauseated. He needs to get to his bedroom asap and when he tried to get up from his dining chair, he can't barely do that. Then, he saw the boy again, this time the boy came back and talked to him.

 

"It's okay, don't cry, let me help you."

He was being carried on the shoulder by the slightly shorter boy and being put to bed.

"I'll pick a basin and wash cloth to clean you up, and then I'll bring you your fresh pajamas, okay? Will you be okay be alone for awhile?"

"Okay." - I was always alone left unsaid.

He was breaking in cold sweat again like the usual, only this time he feels lightless and really sick, it's almost as if his soul wanted to leave his body, but his body won't let it, like no-it's not his time yet. His dark dream about meeting death and the grim reaper has made a comeback. He was about to cross a bridge and then he met him, the grim reaper smilling to him self while saying "don't cross, it's not your time yet." 

 

He felt someone was caressing a warm wash cloth to his mouth and chest and then there was also a wash cloth on his forehead. He tried his best to open his eyes but it's heavy so he settled with words instead.

"Did you also do this days ago, when I got sick?"

"Yeah, I did, I hope it helped."

"It did. Are you always here? Or were you just my imagination?"

"Seunghyun, I'm real, I was always near you since you were a kid."

"But, how come I never got your name, and I never see you before, not as clearly as today?"

"Cos we shouldn't even meet like this, you shouldn't be able to see me. I am your guard, your anchor, your guardian angel. Kwon Jiyong, if you were wondering about my name."

"Guardian angel? Kwon Jiyong?"

"Yeah. I supposed to make sure that you're safe, Are you feeling better Choi Seunghyun?"

 

Seunghyun had slept before being able to answer Jiyong's question at least he knew more about the boy now and he decided that he liked the way Jiyong called his name.