Chapter 42:

I Am My Father's Daughter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There was no word on who broke into Minseok's apartment. Chen had only rear images of the person entering and leaving with their hood drawn and head lowered. It was clear they were aware of all the cameras around until they disappeared into a horde of people where Chen lost them.

The moment Minseok returned to Korea he was at Yejin's side working with her men to arrange the perfect security detail for when he wasn't around. Tao was moved to her personal bodyguard along with Amber and two more of Minseok's men. Yejin thought it was overkill, but didn't argue since Minseok was adamant about the security.

Months passed and there wasn't a second attack, Yejin felt like her belly was about to explode and she was already a week late of her due date. She was getting cranky waddling around everywhere with a mysterious child inside her. Everyone was tiptoeing around her lately, even Minseok who had taken time off work to stay by her side in the hopes to be there when she went into labor.

“Are you sure about this?” Yejin groaned at the man driving the newly bought family car (Minseok was clearly missing his Lexus that had been parked in the apartment garage for almost two weeks now).

“Daehyun and multiple web sources say spicy food helps induce labor,” he said for the third time since they got into the Avante.

Yejin huffed and leaned her head against he seat as she gazed out the window at the passing buildings. They were quiet for several minutes as Minseok maneuvered the afternoon traffic. “Why?” she grumbled.

“What's that?” he inquired.

“We have the nursery ready, diapers stockpiled, and even a nanny now, so why is this brat not ready to come out? I love it to death, but I'm losing my mind!” she complained stomping her feet like a sulking child.

Minseok chuckled and Yejin glared at him for it.

“Maybe they're just too comfortable in there,” he joked.

“Well I'm not comfortable. Inconsiderate brat,” she mumbled crossing her arms on top of her extended stomach.

He snickered again as he made a right hand turn.

When they reached the curry restaurant Minseok had looked up with famous labor inducing spicy chicken curry Yejin was more than ready to scalded her tongue off to get the living being out of her. They climbed out of the car at the same time, Yejin stepping onto the crowded sidewalk first.

There was a thick lip smirk, a peek of blond hair under a cap and a jolt as the pedestrian collided into her. It was far more painful than it should have been for a mere bump, a burning pain radiating from her lower ribs on her right side.

“Let the games begin peacock,” laughed a deep, familiar voice.

“P-Pea–,” she stammered turning her head to get a better look at the retreating figure.

Then there was a shriek from nearby.

“Oh god!”

“She's bleeding!”

“Yejin?” Minseok called racing around the front of the car towards her.

Her hands flew to the searing pain in her side to feel warm liquid coating her sun dress. Her mind was slow to realize she had been stabbed and was bleeding, her brain was more focused on the nickname the guy had used. There were only a select few who would call her that, that even remembered that term of endearment.

“Zico?” she choked out at the fleeing gray hoodie. The guy glanced back with a wicked smirk on his face before giving her a sarcastic salute and taking off down the street.

“,” Minseok hissed out when he reached her side. “Yejin who –”

“Z-Zico, he said – games. . .” she frantically said only to stop abruptly when liquid poured down her legs. Eyes widening and heart erratic Yejin grabbed onto Minseok's jacket lapels.

“What? What's going on?” he urged wrapping his arms around her to keep her upright.

“Ah, my,” she paused to flinch at the growing pain in her side. “My water just broke.”

“F–uck,” he drawled out in a frustrated groan.

After being placed, not all that gently, in the backseat of the Avante Yejin went in and out of consciousness as Minseok sped through the city to get to the hospital that Daehyun had connections with. As he drove he made call after call to various people, not all Yejin caught in her condition, though she did hear a heated argument with Chen and a slightly frantic and desperate call between him and Daehyun and Yongguk over a conference call. When they finally made it to the hospital Yejin was struggling to keep her eyes open with the constricting pain in her lower abdomen that just kept coming back no matter how hard she wished it would stop.

“Hold on Yejin,” Minseok called jumping out of the driver's seat, door slamming shut behind him.

She only moaned in response.

The next thing she knew she saw bright lights overhead, someone was squeezing her left hand painfully tight, and there were voices speaking rapidly. Blinking slowly Yejin felt like she was underwater, the noises muffled and her body felt like it was sinking deeper and deeper. When she tried to speak she found something blocking , keeping it opened yet silenced. Was it a tube?

“The baby's out,” someone announced.

“Good, now get her closed up,” a familiar voice ordered. “Save her!”

Then there was a faint wail that made Yejin's heart clench before she drifted off into uncons

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter