Chapter 37:

I Am My Father's Daughter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

SORRY ABOUT THE CONFUSION. There is only one update, but I accidentally posted the wrong chapter, so here's the right one.

"Get out."

The words hung in the air for a moment before Yongguk stepped forward so he was standing next to Yejin at the table. “She's n–,” he began to say in his deep voice.

“You,” Minseok almost hissed meeting Yongguk's gaze. His eyes quickly flickered over to Jongup who was still in his spot behind Yejin and went on speaking. “– and you, get out,” he ground out in an impatient tone.

Yejin felt relief wash over her for a moment when she realized he wasn't telling her to get out, but that warm feeling only lasted a split second as Yongguk began to speak again. The tension in the air was palatable and the last thing her day needed was a fight breaking out between her right hand man and the guy she was in love with (their relationship statues was definitely complicated at present time).

Raising her right hand she stopped Yongguk from speaking with the simple gesture. She didn't look away from Minseok's blank expression as she spoke to him, feeling his questioning scowl on the side of her face. “Wait for me upstairs in the hall,” she ordered.

“The hall? Boss –”

“Go!”

Her voice rang clear with authority and without another word her two escorts left the conference room. It was just Minseok and Yejin staring at one another for what felt like hours. During that time she studied his face that was unusually pale, almost ashen and unhealthily pale. There were dark, nearly black, smudges under his rad and puffy eyes evident that he was not sleeping properly. His hair was an untamed mess and not in the artistic manner he normally gelled it into, and his clothes seemed to be at least a day old with prominent wrinkles and creases like he had slept in them (or tried to). The man sitting across from her was a warn down, running on empty, version of the Minseok she knew. Had her little stunt to the anti-Circle meeting done this to him or was it her disappearance? Maybe it was neither and it was because he had failed his contract job with her to keep her safe until her request was carried out? Whatever it was had really taken its toll on him.

After the lengthy pause Minseok finally broke the silence, but it wasn't with words. It was a long exhausted sigh as he leaned back in his chair slouching ever so slightly that Yejin wanted to smile at his relaxed posture, but the atmosphere was still think with unresolved issues that she didn't dare just in case.

“So tell me,” he began with a large puff of air, “why couldn't you send word of your status? I get you had work to do and loose ends to tie up, but nothing for over a month.” His words dripped with accusation and frustration.

Part of Yejin was glad it was such an easy question to answer but another part of her flinched away with guilt and sadness. Anxiously swallowing the lump in she shifted in her seat, immediately regretting it as the motion tugged at her stitched. “The Circle was being monitored, heavily, and B.A.P wasn't even a glimmer on anyone's radar. It made moving around and finishing things so much simpler with no attention on the people I was hiding out with. Contacting you or even Chen would have raised suspicious and I couldn't afford to screw up, not when I was so close to fixing everything.” Yejin paused to swallow again as she watched Minseok's face for any change in expression. A beat later she quickly added like a scolded child, “I came back as soon as I could. I'm sorry it took so long.” A small pout on her lips.

Minseok heaved a deep breath pinching the bridge of his nose as his eyes clamped shut. Leaning forward he lowered his hand from his face, forearms propped against the edge of the metal table. Yejin wasn't aware she was holding her breath until her lungs began crying for oxygen, but she didn't give in as she eagerly waited for Minseok to respond. She had to know if her hated her, if he would forgive her, if they were still together.

Opening his eyes he met Yejin's gaze, his mouth pursed into a line that made her stomach do unsettling flips while her lungs continued to scream for air. “So is everything on your end settled? Is 3.6.5. still a problem?” he questioned with a slight brow raise.

a much needed breath in Yejin shook her head. “No,” she replied a little frantically. “I'm in control over 3.6.5. and it's undergoing a few changes.”

Minseok gave a grunt of accepting her answer, though that was all and once again they were back in silence. It was starting to get on Yejin's nerves.

“Are you mad at me?” she blurted out before the quiet stretched on too long. Her face flushed as she continued to fling out all the questions that had built up since she laid eyes on Minseok again. “Do you hate me for what I did at the meeting or because I couldn't contact you? Are –,” she stumbled over her words as the building emotions strangled her. “Are y-you done with me?” she squeaked out anxiously.

Minseok's gaze narrowed at her before it evened out to his usual stoic mask that was starting to piss Yejin off. Why couldn't he put down the Xiumin act and be the Minseok she loved.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter