Chapter 4:

I Am My Father's Daughter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yejin woke up on a plush couch in Xiumin's office roughly four hours after passing out with a bottle of water and several protein bars resting on the coffee table in front of her. The auburn man was on his phone at the massive desk across the room ordering someone to do something in Chinese. At first Yejin's mind thought it was just gibberish but as her mind woke up the Mandarin syllables made sense. Xiumin wanted someone to get their foot out of their and find someone to go undercover as a visitor to the prison where Yixing was to pass along the new plan. When he was done he dropped his cell onto his desk with a frustrated hiss that was cut short when he saw Yejin drinking the provided water.

“You're awake,” he said in Korean.

“Yes I am,” she replied in Mandarin.

For a split second he looked surprised then he leaned back in his chair with a sigh through his nose. “So you heard all that?” he asked still using Korean.

Setting the water down and grabbing one of the protein bars she nodded saying, “Enough to know you fancy the word quite a bit.” She too returned to Korean except when she recited in Chinese.

She opened the honey and nut bar as Xiumin dragged a hand down his face like he was ashamed to have been caught swearing, but Yejin knew that couldn't be the case, so she settled on it being the stress from work as she took a bite out of the food.

“In any case how are you feeling?” he questioned.

“Better,” she said around a second bite.

“Up for talking?”

“Sure,” she shrugged.

Xiumin left his desk and came to sit in the arm chair adjacent to the couch where Yejin sat tucking her right leg under her to make herself more comfortable. He crossed one leg over the other as he sat casually in the chair, a notebook in his hand from his desk and a pen slipped in the spiral binding.

“Let's start with the obvious then. Do you know where Ne–Suho is hiding out?” Xiumin questioned.

“When I left for Bambi's Palace he was working in the bunker below 7Seas, but I'm certain he's moved on,” she said.

“To where?”

“I'm not really sure, Suho didn't share his secrets with me. He trusted me about as much as I him,” she muttered. Nibbling on the protein bar she thought about the nights Suho would leave with Sehun, which wasn't often during the last few months. Lowering the food she commented, “Suho normally had his right hand following me when I hung around the “business” and a few times when I went out to “certain parties,” Sehun, that is. He always tried to make himself my date, but that's not the point. What I'm getting at is that they would leave together some nights and head West towards the Bangtan District, but I have no idea where they wound up. I followed them a couple of times, but always lost them around the underground parking garages.”

Xiumin made a few notes in the notebook as he listened to Yejin. At the end of her explanation she took a giant bite out of the bar, chewing it with loud crunches that he didn't seem to appreciate, but Yejin was agitated by thinking of the smug asshat that was Suho, which still wasn't his real name, It was the street name he ran with before Poseidon took him under his wing because he had seen the boy's promising abilities, knowing that made Yejin's stomach twist and swallowing her mouthful of food very difficult.

“So you think they have a safe house in the Bangtan District?” Xiumin inquired.

Choking down the food Yejin nodded. Once her airway was clear she added, “I think Suho has a second headquarters over there specifically for his business, well when whatever he was doing wasn't directly connected to 3.6.5..”

“I see. I'll have Chen look into it,” he said.

“Why do you call him Chen?” Yejin asked curiously.

Looking up from his notebook Xiumin glanced at her as she polished off the first bar and dropped the empty wrapper into the small silver can next to the couch. She looked less upset with the topic off of Suho, but there was still a tenseness to her shoulders as she reached for the bottle of water.

“It's his hacker tag,” he simply answered.

“Everyone has a second name apparently,” she scoffed.

“You don't,” Xiumin pointed out.

A dark smirk crossed her face as she twisted the cap off of the water bottle. “You're right Minseok. I'm just Kwon Yejin,” she said before sipping at the liquid.

His gaze narrowed at her as he questioned, “How do you know my name? Poseidon didn't.”

Yejin lowered the bottle and very slowly replaced the cap like it was the only thing she could focus on at that moment. She placed it back on the table then sat back against the soft couch cushions as she met Xiumin's quizzical gaze with an even one of her own.

“No he didn't,” she shook her head.

“Then how do you know? It's not common knowledge in the underground, only Luhan and Yixing know it,” he stated.

“I told you, we've met before,” Yejin said.

“Are you implying that I told you myself? That's ridiculous, I never would have done that.” His tone was assured, but Yejin could see the fainest flicker of self-doubt in his brown eyes.

“We should get back to work, you'll remember at some point. . . or you won't, which is fine too.” Yejin shrugged at the end.

Sighing in temporary defeat Xiumin agreed they should focus on work, which was just him asking question after question until he had enough data to send to Chen to help with his searching. After about two and a half hours of talking Xiumin returned to his desk to work on his laptop while Yejin curled up on the couch to go back to sleep more out of boredom than actually being tired. She was just drifting off when a thought popped into her head that had her rolling over to stare at Xiumin.

“Am I going to have to stay here?” she suddenly inquired.

“Just for today,” he answered. “Since you have South Korea's number one assassin after you keeping you here would be too obvious, and personally I don't feel like risking my headquarters. That would not sit well with my customers, and frankly business is business.” He never looked away from his computer as he spoke.

“I'm aware. So where will I be staying?” she said.

“I have a few guys setting up one of my residents across town. We'll be staying there until Dragon is taken care of,” he replied.

“We?” She arched a brow.

Now Xiumin looked away from the computer screen to the girl lounging on his couch. She looked intrigued, while he appeared indifferent.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter