Chapter 20:

I Am My Father's Daughter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was almost time to clock out for the night and Baekhyun was making plans to meet his sister for their monthly dinner date. He was merrily humming to himself, excited to see her after so many weeks. They weren't allowed to meet frequently, not with the situation they found themselves in. Baekhee, who didn't have the greatest history having dropped out of medical school and lost herself on the streets for awhile, worked under Xiumin, Baekhyun didn't know as what. She was clearly at the top of his payroll since she had top brand name products and an apartment that was nicer than Baekhyun's. When the officer bumped into his runaway sister two years after last seeing her Xiumin came into his life with a deal Baekhyun couldn't refuse, not when he wanted Baekhee back in his life. She was all the family he had left and he wasn't going to let her go again, so he agreed to be the Circle's eyes and ears inside the police.

Now as Baekhyun exchanged texts with Baekhee with the plans to have dinner at her favorite restaurant he could feel Chanyeol staring at him with a knowing smirk. Looking up from his phone he arched a brow at his partner while their stubbornly determined newbie pored through the files on his desk.

“Girlfriend or sister?” Chanyeol inquired.

“That is an uncomfortable combination coupled with that smile,” Jongin commented.

Baekhyun's gaze flicked over to the brunet who was still flipping through papers. “It's my sister, you s,” he muttered.

“She hot?” Jongin asked. He paused his work to peek over at Baekhyun who's face had gone deathly serious.

“Now you've done it,” Chanyeol groaned.

Baekhyun had just sat his phone down on his desk, Jongin flinching back in his seat, as the dirty blond got to his feet. He barely got two steps toward the rookie when their office door was thrown open and a panting, frantic Officer Lee Taemin stumbled in. The three officers turned to stare at him as he doubled over with his hands on his knees as he struggled to catch his breath. After a moment he straightened up smoothing his black hair out of his face.

“What is it Lee?” Chanyeol questioned.

“Neptune is here,” Taemin stated.

Chanyeol and Jongin jumped to their feet as they all gaped at Taemin in disbelief. Baekhyun released a heavy groan as he snatched up his phone, recovering first from the shock.

“Who brought him in?” Baekhyun asked.

“Nobody,” Taemin shook his head. “He came in voluntarily, saying something about having information to help your investigation.”

“Is he in an interrogation room?” Chanyeol chipped in, coherent again.

“Number three,” Taemin nodded.

“I'll get my notes and –,” Jongin began.

“No, I'll be the one to question him,” Baekhyun interrupted. He grabbed his own file on Neptune and their investigation off his desk as he moved towards the door with Jongin leering at him.

“What? But I've been the one compiling the information against him,” Jongin said bitterly.

“And this is the first real lead we've had in the case, not only that, it's with one of the big wigs of the underworld. The chief would have my head if I let a rookie lead Neptune's interrogation,” Baekhyun explained firmly.

Before Jongin could argue Baekhyun was pushing pass Taemin and moving towards the interrogation rooms. As he went he pulled out his phone and shot a quick text to his sister canceling dinner and warning her about potential danger.

Can't make it tonight. Just had a break in The Case.

Explaining to Chen and D.O. that Minseok and her were dating yet not dating, but were closer than friends was an agonizing task that spanned two long hours. During which she scrounged up some stuff in the kitchen to make them a decent lunch, and even after they were done eating the questioning continued as they went to Chen's office so he could keep up with his never-ending work. By four o'clock D.O. was reluctant to leave to do a series of rounds for his own work, Yejin pleased to have one last person sending her goofy, curious eyes every couple of minutes as she fiddled with her phone.

D.O. had only been gone maybe fifteen minutes before Chen swiveled around in his chair to face Yejin. “Okay if you're not dating then–,” he began for the nth time that afternoon.

Lowering her phone and rolling her eyes with an exasperated groan Yejin got to her feet. “I'm not getting into this again,” she huffed.

“Seriously Yejin, what's going on?” Chen questioned sounding more concerned than a nosy gossip seeker.

Yejin made her way to the door only pausing to look back at Chen who looked as concerned as he sounded. Brows dipped and mouth pressed into a line he locked eyes with her. She pocketed her phone as she took a deep breath leaning all her weight onto her left leg.

“I'm happy,” she answered. Her hands knitted together as she went on. “I know I'm still being hunted and that Suho is trying to destroy me and reign high from Poseidon's hard work, but I'm happy. It may have something to do with Xiumin being the only one around for the last few weeks, but he understands and listens and has a sense of humor. I'm happy even without a defined relationship.”

For a moment Chen just stared at her, then he blinked and leaned back in his chair with a faint sigh. “That's a really good answer,” he chortled. He rubbed at his forehead as he glanced her over once before waving her off. “Go, boss is back in his office, finally.” He gestured to a side monitor where a small alert had popped up, she had been in Chen's office enough to know that it was the alert signaling someone either entered or exited Minseok's office.

Looking back at Chen from the monitor she offered him a half smile as she backed out of the room. “Thanks Chen.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter