The best club

Two notes away from your heart

"When you hold a baby, you have to be especially careful with his head," Wonho explained with a smile. He looked at the club coordinator, a middle-aged lady who also listened to him sitting with the rest of the girls, and she nodded proudly.

Changkyun still couldn’t believe that this club existed, and even less that Wonho was in it; he stood in the doorway, silently watching the panorama ahead.

The brunette delicately placed his hand on the doll's head while with the other he gripped it firmly and patted its back. The coordinator and all the others were dazed by the demonstration of how to hold a baby. Or rather by the person who was holding him.

"Hoseok oppa..." a girl with straight bangs called him, raising her hand, "could you teach me how to hold him?"

“Of course.”

When Wonho knelt in front of her and carefully gave her the doll, the girl giggled a little and blushed. Changkyun frowned at this sight: it was obvious that she wasn’t interested in learning how to hold a baby. The little boy couldn’t help letting out a snort that caught Hoseok's attention; their eyes met and the raven-haired gasped before hurriedly hide.

He leaned his back against the wall with his cheeks as red as tomatoes and stood motionless, squeezing his folder: Wonho had seen him… he surely thought that he was spying on him.

"Okay girls, I think that's enough for today," Wonho said on the other side of the wall, earning the complaints of his 'club mates'. “Oh, come on... don’t be like that.”

"We'll learn how to change diapers next time," the coordinator added.

Little by little, they all began to walk out reluctantly from the classroom, passing by Changkyun. Only one of them noticed his presence; the girl with the straight bangs looked at him for a few moments before continuing her way.

Wonho and the coordinator left at the same time; the lady patted him on the cheek with pride in her gaze and went down the hall. The boy sighed and turned to Changkyun, who didn’t look up from the floor.

"I didn’t think you'd come to see me."

The black-haired boy looked up sheepishly and was welcomed by a friendly face and a tired smile.

"Well... I-" he stammered nervously. He swallowed hard and forced himself to stop being so insecure, he didn’t want things to be awkward. “I saw your message," he managed to say more calmly.

Wonho pursed his lips in a thin line before sitting on the floor, resting on his back against the wall. Changkyun looked at him from above and sat on the floor as well. As the brunette didn’t say anything, it was the little pianist who took the initiative in the conversation.

"Why did you want to see me after school?"

Silence.

This didn’t help Changkyun, who was beginning to wonder if Hoseok was angry with him.

"Changkyun... have I done something wrong?" Changkyun raised his eyebrows and opened his lips. Wonho was looking at him with pure concern in his eyes. “I mean... if I did something that bothered you, I won’t do it again. I’ll stop sending you messages if that's what you want.”

The words skipped so quickly out of Wonho’s lips that the black-haired boy found it difficult to assimilate them.

"I've always found it easy to get along with people," he continued slower this time, lowering his gaze and playing with his fingers, "and I'd like to get along with you, but I don’t know how."

Changkyun remained silent and narrowed his eyes. It was his fault that Wonho was feeling that way.

"No," he finally said.

“N-no?” Wonho repeated with fear, thinking that the little boy didn’t want to have a friendship with him.

"Your messages... they don’t bother me at all.”

Relief invaded Wonho and he smiled with the intention of telling him that he was glad to hear that; however, Changkyun continued to speak slightly flushed and without looking away on his knees.

“Forgive me. I also want us to be friends... and talk more with you.”

It was the truth. Despite his past bad experiences and Kihyun's advice of not approaching Wonho, he was sure that he wasn’t a bad person.

The heat rose to Hoseok's cheeks: this time, he was the one who remained silent. He thought that Changkyun was being incredibly adorable, but of course he wouldn’t tell him, he didn’t want to frighten him again. Instead, he watched him with soft eyes and hugged his legs with a small smile.

Feeling heated, Changkyun pulled the collar of his gray jumper and avoided eye contact. The words he just said were too embarrassing and now he didn’t know how to continue the conversation.

Wonho's eyelids fell a little and he sharpened his gaze, looking at the boy's golden-skinned neck: it had a tiny lunar just above his Adam's apple. The brunette thought he would love to kiss it...

"I didn’t expect you to be on this club."

Changkyun's deep voice brought Wonho back to planet Earth and shook his head slightly; he scolded himself for having those kind of thoughts and smiled at the innocent boy.

“Why?” he asked curiously, receiving a shrug in return, “Did you think I was on the football club or something?” he chuckled.

Changkyun thought about it for a moment and nodded: that was exactly what he thought. Wonho blinked a couple of times for the sincerity of the kid and scratched his eyebrow.

"Oh, well... I'm also interested in sports. I still go running to the stadium sometime or go to the gym.” The older boy put a finger on his temple and tapped it a couple times, “You know what they say... healthy body, healthy mind.”

Changkyun's dark eyes fell into Wonho’s arms; despite being covered by a black long-sleeved T-shirt, he could see they were toned. Suddenly, he felt the desire to lay his fingers on his arms and touch them.

"Anyway, this club always caught my attention since the beginning. I love children, you know?" he explained, combing his bangs back, revealing his delicate eyebrows for the first time. “Not many people were on it, but since I joined last year it has become more popular ...”

The black-haired boy wrinkled his nose: he suspected that the reason for the club's popularity wasn’t people’s interest in health or motherhood, but rather in the angelic boy in front of him.

Wonho was no fool; he knew that his good physical appearance was the main reason why many approached him. When he thought about it, he became very sad: most people were interested in him just to be close to ‘the most attractive guy on campus’, and not because of who he was.

“I-I like children too," Changkyun said, seeing Wonho was beginning to look down. “But I think they don’t like me…”

This made the pink lips of the brunette curl into a smile.

“And why is that?” he asked softly.

Changkyun recalled the day he had to stay at his aunt's house, taking care of his little cousin. There wasn’t a single second in which he wasn’t crying; his patience and his attempts to calm him were useless, and the fact that the kid said that his voice was scary was like a punch in the stomach.

"I think my voice scares them..." he murmured, pouting and playing with the rings of his folder.

That earned him a laugh from Wonho, who raised his hand to pat him softly on the head.

"I'm sure it's not like that, don’t be sad.” Changkyun's heart beat like crazy because of the caress and he shrank on the spot. “I think that in a couple of weeks we’ll be able to go to a kindergarten to take care of the children... if you want, you can come too.”

The suggestion of being a babysitter for a day didn’t sound bad at all: perhaps he could learn some trick so that his voice wouldn’t frighten the kids. Changkyun smiled and nodded, agreeing to the proposition.

Wonho smiled at him as well and opened his mouth to say something, but was interrupted by someone who shouted his name.

“Wonho!”

The shrill voice came from a red-haired boy who came jumping up to them with another boy, who wore a cap over his golden curls and had a scary looking face. The redhead had a much more friendly expression, but as soon as he realized that Changkyun was there too, his smile disappeared.

“Who is this?” he asked, pointing at Changkyun.

Wonho rose from the ground and held out his hand to Changkyun, who dubiously accepted his help to get up.

"He's Lim Changkyun, he’s a freshman," the brunette said, supporting his forearm on the boy's shoulder. “And these are Lee Minhyuk and Lee Jooheon. Oh, that's right! Maybe you're in the same class as Jooheon. He's in first year too, you know?”

The little boy already knew Lee Jooheon: indeed, he was in his class, but he never spoke to him. And his intimidating appearance didn’t encourage him to do so either.

However, Changkyun inclined his head slightly toward him in greeting; the blonde gave him a look of indifference and twisted his face, making Wonho frown with disapproval. Minhyuk didn’t show too much enthusiasm to meet him either and smiled forcibly.

"What do you guys want?" Wonho said a little annoyed by the attitude of his friends. The redhead smiled again at the question.

"There's going to be a party tomorrow, what do you say?"

Changkyun felt like an intruder, someone who shouldn’t be part of that conversation. He wanted to leave, but Wonho rested his arm on his shoulder and stood as still as a statue.

"I don’t know... I was thinking of going to my parents' house tomorrow to spend the weekend.”

“Oh, come on! Don’t be boring, hyung...”

Wonho thought about it for a few seconds before answering.

“Next weekend.” Minhyuk snorted with disappointment in response. “I promise we’ll hang out, don’t worry.” That seemed to calm his anger a bit, until Wonho continued his speech, "Maybe Changkyun could join us," he suggested cheerfully, looking at the black-haired boy with a smile.

Minhyuk and Jooheon stared at the little boy, who swallowed hard. All of this was too much for him: first, these two people told him silently that his presence didn’t please them, and now Wonho wanted them to hang out together.

In any other situation, Changkyun would try to find some ty excuse, but when he turned to look at Hoseok, he doubted what to do.

He was looking at him expectantly, the excitement on his eyes so overwhelming. Changkyun sighed and, determined to try to get out of his shell and being more sociable, he finally spoke.

“I-I guess I could go…”

The answer only caused Wonho's happiness. The other two merely frowned, reluctant to let the boy join his group of friends. Whether they wanted to or not, Changkyun was going to enter their lives. But not in the way they thought at first.