Misunderstanding

Two notes away from your heart

The warm breeze of May caused the trees under which Changkyun was sitting to sway slightly. He enjoyed being alone; having time to think helped him to relax and the aroma of the box of curried rice that he just bought at the cafeteria transported him to his small world that he didn’t want to leave.

After the recital had ended, Changkyun had deliberately avoided meeting Kihyun; his friend had witnessed the moment he had with Wonho just before the concert, and he was quite sure that an interrogation awaited him if he ran into him.

But of course, his peace couldn’t last not even two minutes.

“Confess it.”

The black-haired boy rolled his eyes and turned to Kihyun, who had taken a seat to his left on the lawn next to Hyunwoo.

"What do you want me to confess?" asked the younger, playing the fool and stirring his rice distractedly with the chopsticks.

"Everything," said the pink-haired. “First of all, how do you know Wonho?”

Changkyun frowned.

“How is that you know his name?” he asked leaving his lunch aside.

"Oh, come on, everyone knows him.” Changkyun’s eyes drifted to Hyunwoo's, whose confused expression indicated that he wasn’t part of that ‘everyone’. Kihyun looked at them in disbelief. “Really? Haven’t you ever heard of him? The guy that all the girls on campus drool over? Mister perfect smile? The one who is said to have slept with the whol-”

But Kihyun couldn’t continue his speech because Hyunwoo's big hand covered his mouth.

"Don’t say those dirty things in front of the kid," he scolded him before taking his hand away, gaining a tongue clacking from Kihyun.

Changkyun blushed slightly and stood silent: in these situations, it seemed like they considered him a completely innocent child. And, in part, it wasn’t true. He may not have experience in love, but he had heard certain... things.

"I don’t know why I even bother... of course you don’t know him. You two are a pair of weirdos," snapped Kihyun, getting a smile from both of them. “And you still haven’t answered me.”

Changkyun swallowed and looked away.

"We just- we talked for a while yesterday... nothing else,” The black-haired boy knew that his explanation had been very poor, and that it wouldn’t satisfy Kihyun's curiosity. “He broke my glasses, okay?” he finally confessed.

“He did what?” he yelled outraged. His reaction was enough for Changkyun to regret telling him; knowing his friend, he probably thought that Wonho had messed with him and that he had broken his glasses on purpose.

Changkyun already had problems in his previous schools because of his strange personality; people considered him a weirdo, someone who didn’t fit anywhere. He had always been an easy target for bullies, but he eventually got used to it; that’s why, since he met Kihyun in the auditorium where one performed his piano recitals and the other interpreted his plays, he became some kind of an overprotective mother of his.

"But it was an accident," said the boy nervously, "and he went to a store to fix them..."

However, the explanation didn’t calm his furious roommate. His angry eyes stopped on a specific spot and Changkyun turned his neck in that direction.

"Speak of the devil," Kihyun hissed, his jaw tightening.

In the parking lot, that was a few meters away from them, Wonho and another three boys were chatting. The brunette was leaning against the door of a black car, his green bomber was tied around his waist, and a pair of sunglasses covered his eyes.

When he realized that Changkyun was looking at him, he smiled at him from his spot and waved his hand; the boy lowered his face quickly with his cheeks burning. What the hell is wrong with me?

Hoseok said something to his friends and approached the tree under which they were. Just before he reached them, Kihyun rose quickly and folded his arms, getting in his way.

"Hello Wonho," he greeted him with false friendliness.

The brunette was surprised that a boy he had never spoken with knew his name, but he still smiled.

"Excuse me, do we know each other?" he asked, trying to be kind.

"No, but I'm friends with Changkyun, and you seem to know him."

Changkyun wanted to cover his face with the rice box because of the embarrassment: why did Kihyun always have to make a mountain out of a molehill?

Wonho glanced at the dark-haired boy over Kihyun's shoulder and giggled awkwardly; he didn’t know what he did to deserve this stranger’s hate.

"Well... yeah, I know him," he finally admitted, "but I don’t understand why..."

"Look, I won’t beat about the bush," said Kihyun with contained anger, "if you put a finger on Changkyun, I swear I’ll… hey!

But he couldn’t continue with the threats because Hyunwoo picked him up as if he were a doll and carried him by his shoulder.

"Time to go," said the big guy, ignoring the shorty’s kicks and complaints. “Don’t listen to Kihyun, he’s always talking nonsense. Oh, and nice to meet you." he finished with his usual robotic countenance before he left with an angry Kihyun.

Wonho couldn’t believe what he had just witnessed and blinked a couple of times, staying stuck in place.

"What the hell…" he said, completely shocked.

Even though Changkyun was already used to these kinds of scenes by those two, that was the first time he really regretted being their friend. The little pianist covered half of his blushed face with one hand and his eyes looked anywhere but Hoseok.

The brunette put the sunglasses on his head before approaching to Changkyun.

"It seems that your friend doesn’t like me," he commented once he recovered from the shock, putting his hands in his jeans’ pockets.

The black-haired rubbed his neck feeling awkward.

"I'm sorry about that," he apologized timidly for Kihyun's embarrassing behavior.

"Don’t worry," replied Wonho, shrugging his shoulders, "your friends seem… peculiar.”

The comment was not malicious; in fact, he thought that having crazy friends like them should be quite fun. Changkyun nodded with an almost imperceptible smile: he thought that the adjective 'peculiar' wasn’t enough to describe them.

Wonho scratched his eyebrow, trying to find the right words to tell the cute puppy.

“I... well, I just wanted to congratulate you for today’s recital,” Changkyun looked up, raising his eyebrows, but said nothing. “You were awesome! It was so cool hearing you play, really.”

He said it with such enthusiasm that Changkyun found it hard to suppress a smile; because he could read the music sheet and his fingers didn’t fail him, he was able to interpret the piece successfully. He tightened his lips and looked back at his box of curried rice: at this point it had probably cooled down.

"Can I... can I sit with you?" he asked carefully, afraid of frightening him like the day before.

Changkyun hesitated before nodding. Hoseok's face brightened and he took a seat next to him with a big smile; he breathed in the warm air and closed his eyes, resting both hands on the grass and enjoying the rays of sun that crossed the branches of the tree.

The black-haired boy watched him while he hugged his legs: he wasn’t sure if he liked Wonho’s friendly approach. Changkyun was a very distrustful person; his past experiences taught him that people who at first seemed kind, ended up being the meanest and the cruelest.

Neither of them spoke for a while, but the silence that surrounded them wasn’t uncomfortable.

“Aren’t you hot?”

The sudden question brought Changkyun back to Earth; the older boy watched his clothes amused and fascinated at the same time: it was amazing for him that he could withstand the May heat wearing so many layers of clothing.

"I always dress like this..." he murmured, playing with his fingers.

Wonho laughed slightly at the reply and looked up to the sky without losing his smile.

"You look like an onion with all those layers."

Changkyun frowned at the comparison. However, the fact that he had joked with him didn’t bother him; in fact, he was tempted to make a comment about his hair covering his eyes. But he wasn’t confident to say such a thing.

However, there was something he wanted to ask.

“How is that-? I mean, how did you know at what time the recital was?”

Wonho pursed his lips at the question.

"Well, you see..." he began to say as he played with one of the ripped holes of his jeans, "yesterday I went to an optical shop to fix the glasses, but since it was closed, I returned early today to the store so I could give them to you as soon as possible. And when I got to the campus I realized," His own nervous giggle interrupted him momentarily, “that I didn’t know where to find you.”

Changkyun listened carefully to the explanation, noticing that whenever Wonho became nervous, he would start laughing like an idiot.

"All I knew about you was that you were at the music club, so I went to your club class and asked for a small boy with glasses. And well, they told me that your name was Lim Changkyun... and that you had a recital in five minutes.”

The black-haired one remembered Wonho’s state when he went to give him the glasses: it seemed that he had just run a marathon. He still had to thank him for that.

"Thank you for yesterday," he muttered without looking directly at him, hugging his legs with even more strength.

Wonho's lips curved into a warm smile. He was moved by the child; he loved that he was embarrassed to say thanks.

"It's nothing... it was the least I could do. After all, it was my fault that your glasses were broken.”

The kind words of the brunette made a comforting feeling invade Changkyun; but it didn’t last long, because when Wonho began to lean towards him, all the blood in his body went up to his head and his brain stopped functioning.

“You know... next time it would be easier to find you if I had your phone number.”

The little boy didn’t know how to answer to that. He stared at him completely paralyzed; his stomach twitched and he suddenly felt a fever.

It was probably due to the heat.

He swallowed loudly, considering the possibility of lying and telling him that he had no cell phone; however, another part of him wondered what was wrong with giving him his number.

“Would you give it to me?” Wonho asked in a very soft voice.

Despite of not wearing his glasses, he could clearly see how Wonho’s eyes were narrowing, looking at him with patience and understanding. Changkyun didn’t think about anything and finally answered.

“Okay…”