Danger at the wheel

Two notes away from your heart

“Don’t you know how to drive faster?” Kihyun complained in frustration.

"We have to maintain a safe distance," explained the driver before changing gear. “Or do you want us to be discovered?”

The pink-haired boy snorted in response and crossed his arms. Meanwhile, Changkyun didn’t take his eyes off the window on the right: they were going at a snail speed along the road of a multi-lane street. They were so slow that he could probably open the door and get out of the car on foot.

"We're going to lose them," Kihyun said, seeing that Hoseok's vehicle was starting to go faster.

"This is a fifty speed zone," said Hyungwon seriously. “Road safety comes first.”

"The problem is that our speed is thirty per hour," the copilot said scathingly.

The tall boy was going to answer, but a gray car behind them honked it’s horn and overtook them in the left lane as he shouted and insulted them. Hyungwon cringed in the seat and squeezed the wheel hard.

“What’s up with that crazy old man?” he managed to say after recovering from the shock.

"Come on, overtake him," Kihyun demanded. Under normal circumstances, Hyungwon wouldn’t have done it; but that idiot had insulted them. Without thinking too much, he stepped on the accelerator to reach the gray car.

Changkyun's stomach went up to his throat and he grasped the roof grabber in fright, regretting for the twentieth time having come with them.

Before overtaking him, they passed by the gray vehicle and Kihyun waved happily at the man, who looked at them indignantly and began to curse.

The pink-haired boy laughed heartily and turned to Hyungwon, tapping him on the arm.

“Doesn’t it feel great to not let people stomp on you?”

Hyungwon looked at him and laughed anxiously; after all, he didn’t feel comfortable going faster than allowed. He had gotten so nervous that he hadn’t realized they were going much faster than before. Too fast.

"Re-red," Changkyun stuttered as he watched in horror as they approached a closed traffic light. “Red!”

The scream frightened the driver, who stepped on the brake in time and managed to stop just before the painted line of the road. They all stared at nothing and with agitated breathing: this secret operation was going to end up costing them their lives.

"Next time... I drive," Kihyun managed to say in a choked voice; after a few seconds, both laughed and Changkyun sighed. The little boy again looked at the window on his side and what he saw made his heart jump again: he had just broken his own record of heart attacks per minute.

With his eyes wide open, he finally reacted and crouched down, covering his head with his hands. Changkyun's sudden movement caught the attention of his roommate, who turned to him frowning.

“What’s the matter?” Changkyun couldn’t make a sound and pointed with his index finger at the window; when Kihyun looked to his right, he understood why they should hide: they were right next to Wonho's car.

"," he muttered alarmed before scurrying on the seat and using a hand to cover his face. He started to pull on the sleeve of Hyungwon's shirt to attract his attention and, when he saw them too, he made a strange fuss with his hands and ended up looking to the opposite side to avoid being discovered: his big height and the steering wheel prevented him from hiding or bending over.

Everyone held their breath, praying that Wonho wouldn’t look at the car next to him.

"Come on, come on..." Kihyun said between clenched teeth, hoping the traffic light would turn green once and for all. Why was it taking so long?“, this is your fault!” he reproached Hyungwon.

“My fault? It's yours!” he shouted in whispers. “We shouldn’t have overtaken that car!”

"Maybe we shouldn’t have done it if you didn’t drive like a turtle," Kihyun answered with venom in his voice.

Hyungwon momentarily forgot about the situation around them and turned angrily to the co-pilot. Meanwhile, Changkyun was shrinking more and more in the seat: if they continued like this, they would end up being discovered.

“Road safety is...!”

However, Hyungwon was halfway finished completing the sentence and left his mouth ajar. He started to close his eyes and held Kihyun's arm tightly.

“What the fu-?” began the pink-haired boy, but was interrupted by Hyungwon's thunderous sneeze. The sudden spasm that his body made when sneezing caused him to throw his head forward and hit the horn on the wheel unintentionally.

The loud sound that came out of the car left them icy. Just then, the light turned green and Wonho's car took a few seconds to get going again.

Kihyun turned his neck slowly towards Hyungwon, who still didn’t raise his head for fear of the reaction of the shorter one.

“I’m going to kill you.”

♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫

Hyungwon was the first to appear at the corner of the street; further down, Kihyun's head also emerged to see if they had a free hand.

They were in a neighborhood of houses with a very steep slope; a little further on, Hoseok and the girl walked very close to each other, chatting animatedly. The couple had got out of their car a few minutes ago and they had parked nearby to follow them on foot.

It seemed a miracle that Wonho hadn’t discovered them yet.

"Come on," Kihyun said, seeing that they were far enough away.

They moved steeply downhill, hiding behind the cars that were parked on the sides, or behind some waste containers that they encountered on the road.

Changkyun thought that it looked like an espionage movie, but a really ty one.

When they finally reached the end of the street, the couple stopped in front of a cafeteria; seeing this, Kihyun suddenly stopped and raised a hand, causing the other two to stop moving on the spot and stick to the wall of the street.

“Quiet.” Wonho said something to the girl and put an arm around her shoulders before opening the glass door of the establishment.

“What do we do now?” Hyungwon asked after a moment of silence.

"Let's go in," said the pink-haired boy turning to the other two. Changkyun's stomach cringed at the thought of entering that place: they were going too far.

“Go in?” the slender boy asked without being completely convinced by the strategy. “And what do you expect us to do inside? Go and say hi to them?”

"We need to see them more closely," Kihyun argued, folding his arms. “Do you have a better plan?”

“Wait outside, for example?”

The shorter one huffed at Hyungwon's suggestion. Seeing that Changkyun didn’t say anything, both turned to him to find out his opinion, and discovered that he was staring at his feet.

“Changkyun?” Hyungwon asked, approaching him and touching his arm. “What’s wrong?”

"I... I don’t know if I want to keep doing this," the little boy murmured. It was so painful to see Wonho with that girl, to see him smile with her... to see him happy.

Hyungwon sighed and gave him a sympathetic look: he understood that the whole situation must had been so hard for him.

“If you want, we can go back.” Changkyun looked up and was relieved at the possibility of running away and returning home. He wanted to hide in his apartment and never go out again.

Suddenly, Kihyun pushed Hyungwon aside and, ignoring the older boy's complaints, he firmly grabbed Changkyun by the shoulders: his expression was so serious that it was a bit scary.

"Lim Changkyun," he called, causing him to swallow. “Do you really like Wonho?”

The raven haired blinked a couple of times at the sudden question; Kihyun's eyes seemed to be flaming, and he was forced to give him an answer.

"Ye-yeah," he murmured hesitantly.

"Guys..." Hyungwon called them, looking for the first time at the name of the cafeteria. That place called MoMo Coffee was quite familiar to him. “I think we shouldn’t-”

Kihyun told him to shut up and shook Changkyun, frowning even more.

“Yeah what? I can’t hear you.”

"Yeah," Changkyun repeated a little louder. But his friend was still not happy about his response and didn’t let go. “Okay, yes... Yes, I like him!” he exclaimed, overwhelmed by the pressure. “A lot..." he added, lowering his voice.

"Good," he said satisfied. “And are you going to let him laugh in your face or will you show him that you aren’t his toy?”

“Uh…”

That was enough response for him. Before Changkyun could do anything, Kihyun took his hand and dragged him towards the cafeteria. The pianist took a few moments to react and tried to get out of the grip, looking at Hyungwon with panic.

Wonho's best friend was screaming at them to wait and not to come in, but it was too late. Kihyun opened the glass door decisively and stood without letting go of the frightened boy, analyzing the place in search of Hoseok.

And there he was: the brunette was sitting on one of the tables in the middle zone, with a big smile that illuminated the place. In front of him, the unknown girl was laughing while holding a tea cup near .

When Wonho's eyes rested on the newcomers, his smile faded instantly, replaced by an expression of surprise.

Quickly, Kihyun dragged him to the table and crossed his arms.

“What the…?” Wonho began, bewildered.

"Tell him," the pink-haired boy demanded of his friend.

Changkyun was overwhelmed by all the curious looks of some customers who were fixed on him because of his intrusion, but the pair of familiar brown eyes, which now watched him with confusion, were the ones that made him nervous the most.

The girl placed the cup on her plate and raised her eyebrows, waiting for him to speak. Her black curly hair fell gracefully on her shoulders, and her delicate face showed a very affable expression: she was so beautiful...

What am I doing here? I'm just bothering them.

"I... I’m sorry for the intrusion," he apologized hastily, bowing. Then he tried to sneak away; he had already made a fool of himself enough for that day.

“Wait, wait, Changkyun!” Kihyun exclaimed, taking him by the arm and bringing him back.

“Changkyun?” the girl repeated in a whisper. Suddenly, his mouth was in the form of 'oh', as if she had just understood something and looked with complicity to Wonho. The brunette pressed his lips in a thin line and looked down in embarrassment. “So you’re the famous Changkyun... and you must be his friend," she went on animatedly. The black-haired boy frowned, not understanding the 'famous' thing and Kihyun just watched her with suspicion. “Nice to meet you! My name is Seoyul.” Then she got up and inclined her head towards them. “I was dying to meet you in person," she added in a low voice, covering the side of and approaching Changkyun so that Wonho wouldn’t hear her.

"Seoyul," Hoseok said with warning in his voice. She giggled and took a seat again.

“Why don’t you sit with us?” she suggested with joy. She seemed excited to meet him, and that just made Changkyun even more confused.

“I... well, I don’t know...”

"Thank you, but let’s leave it another day," Kihyun answered mordantly. “We wouldn’t like to interrupt your date," he added, emphasizing the last word.

“Date?” she repeated astonished. Seouyul looked at Wonho without understanding, but he seemed just as lost as her. “Sweetie, what are you talking about? I'm married," she explained with a giggle, showing the wedding ring in her left hand. “With his brother, more precisely.”

At that time, Changkyun felt the most stupid person on the planet, and a great relief flooded his body. Kihyun opened his mouth to say something, but closed it and remained silent: he didn’t know what to say either.

“I wanted to meet you before, you know? I even went to the campus to see if you were around, but Wonho didn’t allow me to..." Seoyul said, giving an annoyed look at his brother-in-law. “Even mom wants to meet you!”

Changkyun had no idea what was happening or why so many people wanted to meet him. He gave Wonho an inquisitive look; the brunette looked terribly embarrassed by the whole situation and finally spoke.

“Could you guys give us a moment?”

The request caused Seoyul to pout, but she finally gave in and got up; she took her bag and, before leaving, said goodbye to Changkyun, telling him that they should hang out another day. Kihyun remained frozen in place, still trying to understand what had just happened; it was then when Hyungwon made his appearance: he had been waiting outside until that moment, unable to intervene in the scene that had been set up inside.

After greeting his even more confused best friend, he took the pink haired boy out of the cafeteria, grabbing him by the shoulders.

Now there were only Wonho, Changkyun, and the awkward atmosphere that had formed between them.

"Well... that was awkward," said the brunette after an interminable moment of silence.

Changkyun let out the air he had been holding and finally began to speak: he felt the urgent need to explain himself.

“I'm so sorry, I... I didn’t know anything, forgive me, I shouldn’t have assumed things without asking you before and I-”

"Hey, hey, slow down" Wonho interrupted him calmly. He pointed to the chair in front of him, motioned for him to sit down, and Changkyun obeyed silently. “First of all, what happened to you these last three days? I called you so many times and you didn’t give signs of life...” he explained with affliction, “I thought something had happened to you and went to your place, but no one opened the door.”

Changkyun bit his lip and played with his fingers over the table.

“I wasn’t feeling very well...”

The warm touch he felt in his hands made him look up, meeting those eyes that calmed him and made him nervous at the same time; Wonho had stretched his arm out over the glass counter to hold his hand, and in his gaze he could see pure concern. He didn’t want to lie to him, and he felt terrible with himself for doing it anyways.

He sighed and gathered all the courage he had to tell him the truth.

“I... I saw you the other day with Seoyul and... and I thought... well, I thought wrong.” The words came out of his mouth without being able to stop them. “And I started overthinking why would you ask me out, if you were being serious about it...”

Wonho's eyes widened as the other spoke. The dark haired boy didn’t dare to look at his face and felt his cheeks get hot; the fact that Hoseok was silent didn’t help him to calm down.

"Of course I was being serious," he said at last. Wonho interlaced his fingers with his, not taking his eyes off him; the little boy's heart began to beat much faster and he noticed that his palms were sweating. “And I'll ask you out as many times as it takes... until you believe me, or until you get tired of me." he finished with a small, shy smile.

His smile... how he had missed his smile. Even his cheesy lines, he had missed him to death. Changkyun narrowed his eyes and, letting himself be carried away by the warm feeling that invaded him, he blurted out what was going through his head.

“I’ve missed you…”

Immediately, the black-haired boy turned his face aside, completely flushed by what he had just confessed: since when did he say that kind of things?

He tried to free himself from the grip, but Wonho didn’t let go. The brunette was watching him with a penetrating intensity and he could feel his heart beating frantically at his chest.

"Changkyun," he called, trying to keep a firm voice. “I like you. So much," he said slowly. The way the little boy blushed even more encouraged him to continue. “Do you know how hard it has been to hold myself this last month?” Changkyun swallowed and found himself unable to make any sound. Wonho spoke each time in a lower tone. “Do you know how hard it has been not being able to touch you... and kiss you?”

His whole body was turning to gelatin for his hypnotizing speech. He didn’t want Wonho to hold back from now on. He wanted to be his, to be embraced and protected by him...

“Then… do it.”

Wonho opened his eyes a little, but he narrowed them again.

“Changkyun... do you understand what you're saying?” The only thing Changkyun could do was nod shyly; there was no point in denying reality anymore. The older boy tried to suppress his enthusiasm, but at the end he couldn’t hide it. “So, do you want to go out... with me?”

And, for the first time in three days, Changkyun smiled before giving his answer.

“…Yes.”