The first rejection

Two notes away from your heart

On impulse, Changkyun jumped up and, holding the music sheet firmly, he hit Wonho in the face. Hoseok didn’t have time to pull away and gasped, more in surprise than at the impact: it had been like feeling a slap on the cheek, but one with very little strength.

The eldest stood still, and they both looked at each other with wide eyes, one because he couldn’t believe he had been rejected that way, and the other because he couldn’t believe the stupidity he had just done.

Without a word, Changkyun inclined his head apologetically and ran down the steps, making his way out from the stadium hurriedly.

♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫

"He slapped you?" asked Jooheon, surprised, dropping the rice he held with his spoon.

Hyungwon also stopped eating his salad and watched him with wide-eyed eyes. His two friends stared at him stupefied and Hoseok sighed.

"I didn’t say that," Wonho murmured, resting his cheek on the palm of his hand.

"You said he hit you in the face, isn’t that the same?" said the confused blonde.

Hoseok dropped his head on the cafeteria’s table.

"It was with some... sheet music or something" he explained. It hadn’t even hurt him, what hurt him most was Changkyun's rejection.

"Some sheet music?" Jooheon repeated with a chuckle. This whole situation seemed to be amusing to him. Hyungwon gave him a cold look that made his smile fade.

Wonho ignored him and pouted, staring at his ramen dish he hadn’t even touched. The day before, after the incident at the stadium, he tried to talk to the pianist again. He waited for him at the door of his class, but the little boy passed by, ignoring him very blatantly.

It was no use sending him messages, because he always left him in read. Wonho was starting to go crazy: why had he rejected him like that? Why did he avoid him? Had he done something wrong...?

“Wonho...” Hyungwon called to his right, giving him a soft pat on the back, “don’t worry, I'm sure that Changkyun had his reasons.”

The brunette snorted at that. Just when he thought they had made progress in their relationship, Changkyun hit him in the face with some papers and made him lose all hope: they seemed to have taken a step back.

"Why did he avoid me?" Wonho wailed, waiting for no reply. Suddenly, an idea crossed his mind and grew pale. “Maybe…" he began to say before raising his head from the table, "he doesn’t like me?"

Hoseok was horrified by his own words: it was impossible. Everyone liked him, he had never been rejected before... maybe Changkyun was the exception.

"Changkyun is very shy, you have to give him time," Hyungwon reassured him. Maybe his friend was right. Wonho tried to be patient, but he couldn’t help wanting to be with Changkyun, so he could touch him, and hug him and...

"Hey, look! Isn’t that Changkyun?”

Jooheon's wake-up call made everyone look where he was pointing. Sure enough, the boy with glasses was in the bar of the cafeteria, waiting for his food. Quickly, Wonho rose from his seat and headed there, leaving his two friends at the table and watching him amused.

"When was the last time Wonho had this crush for someone?" Jooheon asked with sigh, eating his rice again. “He's always the one being chased.”

Hyungwon smiled at that, knowing that it was the first time he had seen his friend being so into a boy.

As Wonho approached his target, his confidence waned to the floor, for fear of being rejected again. But luckily, he had no problem pretending his ego was through the roof.

"Good morning," he said casually, resting a forearm on the bar next to Changkyun.

The younger looked at him out of the corner of his eye and merely bowed slightly in greeting, not paying much attention to him. He hadn’t even bothered to look at him properly.

Usually, Wonho spent half an hour to get ready before leaving his apartment; however, today he spent an hour struggling to look even better and impress Changkyun. He had put on his favorite denim jacket and choker, his makeup was on fleek, but apparently it hadn’t had much effect.

The older boy cleared his throat.

"Are you going to eat alone?"

Changkyun thought for a moment and nodded. The absence of expression on his face made him worry: the black-haired boy used to be adorably shy before him, but all he got from him was indifference today.

It seemed that, at any moment, a stone was going to fall on his head with the word 'rejection' engraved on it.

No. Wonho wouldn’t give up so easily. He started to approach him with the intention of inviting him to eat, but the waitress came at that very moment and gave a lunch box with a sandwich inside to Changkyun. The child picked it up quickly and paid her, walking out of the cafeteria almost running and leaving Hoseok on the spot.

He stood with a frozen smile, hearing in the distance a laugh from Jooheon and his whine when Hyungwon hit him. His ears reddened with embarrassment and gave a cold look to his friend before going after Changkyun: he needed to find the slippery boy and talk to him seriously about their relationship.

He didn’t have to look for him for a long time since he was in the first-year class, eating at a desk by the window. Wonho approached him and stood looking at him with his arms folded; Changkyun looked up and let out a sigh before laying his sandwich on the lunch box.

"We have to talk," said the brunette.

“…About what?”

Is he really playing the fool now?

"You already know about what.”

Changkyun didn’t look him in the eye: he was tightening the sleeves of his gray sweatshirt and his lips nervously. He closed the lunch box and got up, finally looking into his eyes.

“No, I don’t know.”

Then, Changkyun walked past him with the intention of leaving. At this point, Wonho had grown tired of him running away all the time, and he wasn’t going to let him escape that easily. Changkyun would confront him whether he wanted to or not, and for that he would resort to the most mature tactic that he could have came up with.

In a quick movement, he pinched his , causing him to jerk and turn to him startled and wide-eyed.

"W-what did you just do?"

Wonho shrugged, playing the innocent.

"I don’t know," he said, repeating Changkyun's previous words. The black-haired boy stared at him in disbelief for a few seconds. He didn’t know that Hoseok could be so childish. “But I'll do it again if we don’t talk about the other day.”

His cheeks blushed because of Wonho’s 'threat' and he slowly walked backwards until his back hit with a desk. From the older boy's expression, Changkyun knew he meant it. So, much to his regret, he decided to tell him what had been hanging around his head since Friday.

“Look, th-that thing other day… was a mistake.” The brunette felt his heart twist at his words, remaining speechless. Changkyun rubbed his neck and continued to explain himself in a voice more and more weak. “I don’t know what I was thinking, but it shouldn’t have happened...”

They both remained silent, staring at the ground. This was the last thing Wonho wanted to hear: he wasn’t sure of Changkyun's uality, perhaps he was afraid to admit that he liked a boy and that’s why he was turning him down.

But he hoped that, if their feelings were mutual, none of that would matter to him. And he had just proved that he was wrong.

"A mistake..." Hoseok muttered with an ironic smile. Changkyun nodded and the brunette bit his lip, looking away to the side: he wanted to cry, but he wasn’t going to do it. He didn’t want to look more pathetic than he already felt.

However, he didn’t want to give up yet and tried one last thing.

“If it was really a mistake... kiss me.”

Changkyun looked up in surprise.

“Huh…?”

Wonho approached him and swallowed, gathering enough courage to keep talking.

"If you don’t feel anything now, I'll take it and leave you alone."

The child froze and put his hands on the desk behind him; he opened his mouth to say something, but he thought it over and closed it again.

Wonho took another step until their knees met, causing the boy with glasses to shrink and look down: deep down, Hoseok knew that it was most likely that Changkyun would leave, rejecting him definitely and burying all his hopes deep on the ground.

The seconds passed and Wonho felt more disappointed. Changkyun didn’t seem to have the intention of doing anything, and it hurt.

He closed his eyes and sighed, about to move away from him. However, he felt a pair of hands resting on his shoulders to bring him closer, and then a soft touch settled on his lips. Wonho opened his eyelids suddenly and saw Changkyun stepping back, his cheeks very flushed.

Did he just…?

The black-haired boy put a hand on his mouth and cocked his face in embarrassment.

"I-I didn’t feel anything..."

Wonho couldn’t believe that he actually did it: no doubt Changkyun was really unpredictable. And he loved it.

"You have to do it again," Wonho explained, trying to hide his smile. Changkyun frowned and looked at him suspiciously. “You can’t be sure with just one kiss.”

As he said this, he leaned over and rested his hands on the desk behind Changkyun, who wanted to punch him but got overwhelmed by his proximity. They were so close that Wonho could fully appreciate his beautiful features: his feline eyes avoided eye contact and took refuge behind his pair of round glasses, his thin lips were somewhat parched, and in the right corner of his mouth there was a bread crumb of the sandwich that he was eating a few moments ago.

So freaking cute.

When Changkyun finally dared to look at him, their breaths fluttered and narrowed their eyes. Wonho lifted his hands up to his glasses and slid them down the bridge of his nose gently until they were removed, leaving them on the desk.

The owner of the glasses blinked a couple of times to get accustomed to the light of the room, and aroused in Wonho a wave of tenderness.

Like last Friday, they felt that a force they couldn’t control took over their bodies; slowly, they joined their lips again, this time in a kiss that lasted a few seconds longer than the previous one. Hoseok pulled his bottom lip, biting it slightly and making it last a couple of seconds so the little boy would tremble at the touch.

“How about now?” Wonho muttered within inches of him. Changkyun weakly denied in reply.

"Nothing..." he whispered. He raised his little hands to his denim jacket and pulled him back to him, joining their mouths in a soft kiss, too innocent for Hoseok.

The older boy began to move his lips avidly, wanting to feel more; he began to use his tongue to moisten Changkyun's lips with each kiss, without actually introducing it. He wanted to torture him a little bit.

“Ah, Wonho...”

The soft moan that escaped from Changkyun’s mouth made them separate for a moment and look at each other intensely. The puppy seemed to be wrecked, his parted lips and heavy breathing was freaking adorable.

Without thinking twice, Wonho grabbed him by the waist and lifted him, sitting Changkyun on the table and making him gasp. The puppy looked alarmed to the class’ door, afraid that someone would come, but as soon as Hoseok placed himself between his legs and kissed him again anxiously, leaving a wet trail of kisses from the corner of his mouth to his perfect neck, Changkyun slowly let himself go again.

Wonho watched the cute moles that decorated the golden skin of Changkyun. In particular, he noticed the mole that was just above his Adam's apple, which he had long wanted to taste.

Without thinking twice, he left a warm kiss on it, earning a soft moan from him. Changkyun tangled his fingers in his brown hair and pulled him towards him, closing his eyes and opening his mouth against his head, adoring the tickles on his neck and feeling how the heat on his stomach was starting to take over his body.

Wonho kissed his skin slowly back up to meet the delicious mouth he would never grow tired of. This time, he introduced his tongue and caressed Changkyun's, enjoying every sound he received from the black-haired boy.

The warm touch made them shudder and Changkyun hugged his neck, opening his mouth for him and letting him explore it. He felt some intense tickles in his very low belly, and rolled his legs around the brunette in search of greater contact.

Hoseok grunted at his action without separating from his lips and enveloped him with his strong arms, sticking even more to his body. Passing his tongue over his thin upper lip, the brunette felt that their hips were brushing, and had to curse between the kisses because he was going ing crazy.

The little boy didn’t want to enjoy it, he had said to himself a thousand times that what he was feeling for Wonho wasn’t right. He tried to suppress his emotions and ignore him, but his façade had fallen as soon as the older boy cornered him against the desk and kissed him again.

Kihyun had already warned him not to fall into Wonho’s nets, because he wouldn’t easily leave. However, Changkyun was a very curious person, and deep down he was dying to know what would happen if he played the dangerous game of Shin Hoseok.

As the minutes went by, the classroom atmosphere became more and more heated, to the point that they were both having a hard time breathing. Again, they parted so that they could catch their breath and calm a little their frantic heartbeat.

Instead of kissing him again, Wonho leaned his forehead against his and raised his fingers to caress his cheek; Changkyun looked at him puzzled, but still accepted his touch in silence. Wonho stared at him, and then, he realized that he wanted to protect him, he wanted them to know everything about each other.

He wanted to be his everything.

Suddenly, a few words came up in Wonho's heart and began to rise in his throat. He felt the urge to say them, but he was very afraid at the same time. However, having Changkyun so close gave him the push he needed to dare to utter them.

"Changkyun… go out with me."