Nostalgic Memoir Part 1

For Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

In the peaceful morning day, birds singing on the deck of beautiful pink peonies, hanging above the baby blue balcony. Dreamcatchers hanging in the wind, wind chimes making harmony that supports with the song of the birds, and the sunlight reflect through the window for the perfect lighting in a studio house in Gangnam. Lying, in a white, cloudy duvet, Amanda Choi is looking at a blank ceiling, pondering about life and her passion about getting into a Business career. A 23-year old woman recently got her Master’s Degree in Business and Economics at Hanyang University in Seoul. “Wow, I’ve made it this far to become successful,” she said. “Time goes by so fast and everything had completely change.” She then starting to remember her childhood. Her lovely childhood had made her thought about one person. A person that made her heart skip a beat, a person that changed her life since childhood, a person that made her feeling happy, and that person is the one that she fell in love with when she always saw him. His name is the one and only Mark Yi-En Tuan. 

                                                                                  * Amanda's memory (vision) back in the past*

Mark is in the same age as Amanda and he is the son of her neighbor in the past. She remembered his father is a successful businessman that made Mark’s family wealthy. This reason had motivated her to follow her passion into the career of Business and Economics because Amanda doesn’t want her family to suffer from being poor. Amanda used to hang out and play with the Tuan siblings and play in Papa Tuan’s office to get his advice for how to become a successful businessman, while he taught her how to use Microsoft Office, the most confusing software that she had used. But because of her young curiosity, Papa Tuan taught her how to use the Microsoft Word, while practicing typing Hangul on the keyboard.

 “Papa Tuan, why is technology so confusing? I don’t understand how to use it. I think I’m not going to become a successful businessman like you…” she whined. “Am I stupid, Papa Tuan?” Papa Tuan gave a little laugh, saying “No, you’re not stupid, you’re just too young to comprehend the world of technology. Even though, technology is really broad and difficult to understand, but I promise you that when you grow up, you’ll know the truth of what technology is.” Amanda show her smile on her face, she told him “Then I’ll become a successful businessman!” Papa Tuan laughed at her with a great impression on his face. “Yes, you’ll become a successful, not businessman, but businesswoman!” “Businesswoman!” Amanda shouted. “Okay pumpkin,” Papa Tuan laughed, “Go play with little Joey outside.” Amanda jumped and skipped across the hallway, “Okay!” 

Outside, she found little Joey playing in the sand, building the largest sand castle that he ever made. He sometimes can be curious when he’s starting to eat sands because he thought it was bean powder. Overall, little Joey is an adorable bunny that everyone adores. Amanda approached to him to play sand castle with him. “Hey little Joey!” she waved. “Hi Amanda! Come play with me! I’m building the largest castle in the world! I would put my Avenger toys to guard my pretty castle.” Joey said. “Okay then,” she replied. “Do you need help with building it?” “Well… yes, I’m kinda stuck because the wind always knocking down my castle and I’m mad!” Joey said. “That’s okay Joey. We can build another sand castle, but a strong one. How about add water to the sand? Water can stick the sand, so it won’t collapse.” Amanda suggest. “Okay Amanda. I’ll get water and wait for me!” Joey said. “Okay! Hurry!” she said.

While Amanda playing with the sand, the two sisters, Grace and Tammy found Amanda and they both cheerly screaming, “Amanda!!” Amanda freaked out that she face-planted herself in the sand. “Really guys, you don’t have to do that! Look at my face!” Grace and Tammy laughed. “I’m sorry Amanda,” Tammy said. “We’re just too excited.” Grace included, “Do you want to play dress-up up in our room?” Amanda look blanked. “We can put on makeup for you and make you look like a princess!” Grace exclaimed. Amanda replied, “But I’m playing with little Joey and helping him making a sand castle.” Tammy respond, “We can help build the sand castle!” Grace exclaimed, “then we can play dress-up after that!” Amanda thought that it’s a great plan, so she gave a thumbs up. On the other hand, little Joey had a bucket of water that he carried around his arms. Little Joey panted, “Ugh, the bucket is so heavy!” Amanda, Tammy, and Grace helped him carrying a bucket of water and they can finally build a sand castle. It took them thirty minutes to make a sand castle that little Joey looks satisfied. Joey exclaimed, “Yes!! I finally built the largest castle in the world!!” While Amanda, Tammy, and Grace looked so dead that they intentionally face-planted themselves in the sand. “Yay… we did it…” Amanda replied weakly. “Never mind, I don’t want to play dress-up anymore… it’s too much work…” Grace tiredly replied. “Same… I’m so tired…” Tammy responded slowly. “Now, I can grab my Avenger toys to guard my castle! I’m the king of the world!” Joey exclaimed.

Suddenly, a big, round basketball appeared out of nowhere, which it smashed all of Amanda and Tuan’s siblings’ hard work in one sitting. Little Joey looking shocked that he’s about to cry. “Wh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter