Series of Unfortunate Events

Royal Bequeathing

The sisters are wandering off aimlessly at the streets as they were all so surprised and amazed by their new surroundings. Aside from all the weird looks they got because of their clothes, they seemed to be excited by how busy the streets are.

All sorts of fresh produce are around and it was all a new sight for them. As princesses, they were sheltered and doesn’t usually go out of the castle and when they do, they are inside a fancy carriage and will only go to another noble’s castle so they never really had the chance to see the normal market. This is also the first time they actually set foot at West Wisteria.

Unfortunately for them, since they have always been in the castle with all their needs laid down on them, they don’t have actual monetary units with them which made things a bit difficult.

“What do you have in your sling bag?” Chiaki asks Rein as she points on her small bag with her.


“Well, I have a sanitizer, flashlight, lotion, tissue, face towel, bottled water, and a manga!” Rein stated proudly which made Chiaki facepalm herself and Satomi’s jaw in awe.


“Where do you think you are going? Do you think you are just to go stroll into a mall?” Chiaki asked with an exasperated look.


“If I’m not mistaken, you’ve already been out several times since you always sneak out of the castle and you mean to tell me these are your basic necessities then huh?” Satomi asked as she sighed.


“Well… yes. I think it’s necessary to be clean you know.” Rein said with an innocent face.


“I will give you a compliment on that then. So… anyone among us who brought actual money we can use to buy food, buy appropriate clothes, have a place to stay at and basically survive?” Chiaki looked at her sisters and received a blank look.


“Why do we need money? We are the princesses of the land so we can technically buy and do whatever” guess who said this. No other than Rein herself.


“Fact check. We are now former princesses since we technically ran away and did I forgot to mention that we are not allowed to reveal who we really are unless you want us to be taken back into that place where we just fled off and suffer more because I am more than one hundred percent sure that once we get back, security will be crazy tight more than ever before.” Satomi remarked as she covered Rein’s mouth.


“So nobody brought money. Now what do we do?” Chiaki asks worriedly as she slowly felt hunger rising in her.


“What is in your bag anyways?” Rein gave the question back to her sisters as they both checked its contents.


“I have a notebook, a pen, a handkerchief, a harmonica, comb and mirror” Chiaki said and then turned to look at Sato who is also checking out the contents of her bag.


“I have my diary and pen, a handkerchief, flashlight, some first aid medicines, and a book.” Satomi said and sighed.


“We all look like we are only out for a stroll at the mall and not leaving for good. None of us thought about bringing some extra clothing or anything at all.” Chiaki made a comment which earned a sigh and a synchronized grumbling of stomachs for the three of them realizing the situation they are all in.


“We have no choice but to find a work and a place to stay so that we can survive.” Rein said with positivity as she beams a bright smile.


“That’s a good idea! Once we secure a work, we can get money and sustain our needs. That doesn’t sound too rough.” Satomi then smiled and imagined things.


“That’s great but… What work can we do?” Chiaki asked which then popped all the happy bubbles in their minds.


“We can learn whatever. We can finally put all the lessons taught to us into good use!” Rein said as she started walking and they all started searching the city for work.


=== ♫ === ♫ === ♫ === ♫ === ♫ ===


[East Wisteria Castle Grounds]

 

“Your highness! Duke Inoo Kei is here as requested.” One of the king’s servants appeared before him announcing the arrival of someone whom he personally summoned.


“Bring him here then.” The king gave out his approval and the servant assisted Inoo Kei inside the king’s room.


“Is there anything I can be of service with your highness?” The fair skinned guy bowed as his jet black hair tousled elegantly along with his movement. His long and slender fingers matched his beautiful face as he looked at the king with such modestly and grace.


“I suppose you are very much aware of the dire situation we are currently in as the princesses, who are the rightful heirs of the throne, has gone missing overnight.” The king said as he took a sip of his tea which made the young lad, Inoo Kei, look at him and took a sip of his own tea.


“I have heard of this ruckus upon arrival. If you don’t mind, do you prefer to have me search for the princesses and bring them back here or is there something else you want me to do?” His smile was serene yet he knew that his presence there is no only to hear out the King’s dilemma. He knew that his reputation as one with a brilliant mind has reached the king and it is at these kinds of situations where strategists are needed. 


“Looks like the rumors about you having such keen thinking is true. Yes. I have something else for you. And these are the information I have as of the moment. If you don’t mind, please take a look at it and tell me what you think.” The king handed out document to Kei with all the current information he had regarding the escape of the princesses. It has all the statements of servants who last saw them, the guards on patrol and all the transactions that took place in the castle including everything and everyone that got in and out of the vicinity.


Kei took the folder and had a good read of its contents as the king just enjoys his tea and the morsels that go along with it. Kei was relaxed as he reads through all the documents while also taking some of the sweets and is mentally mapping all the data he have on hand. After finishing on the documents and finally taking in the last piece of sweet morsel, he took another sip on his tea and looked at the King.


“With all these evidences on hand, I am sure that you are also well aware about where the princesses are now. If you want them to be found, you can clearly conduct a search team to remotely chase after them. After all, it will not be too difficult to locate them for I am sure that they will stand out no matter how hard they try to blend in with the crowd. I mean, that is IF you actually want them to come back.” Kei said with a smile yet his look is not that of an innocent report. The king instinctively knew that he knows something else and that he is thinking of something.


“What do you mean IF I actually want them back?” The King asked as his curiosity was piqued by the manner the young so called “genius” said.


“I have been quite close to your daughters since I was at a young age and I believe that I once told you before that this situation is bound to happen soon if you don’t change your approach towards them and apparently, it is all happening now exactly like how I told you before. I am sure there is a trigger with this behavior. Perhaps an announcement which is not accepted by one of your daughters. Hmm… Ah! Is it something about Rein?” Kei said while his slender index finger is tapping his pink and pouty lips as if thinking while discussing.


“I know. No need for the summary. I want you to get straight to the point.” The king said as his ego was somehow hurt with the lad’s words. Indeed, he was warned by this boy several years ago with regards to what he just narrated and is something the king himself brushed off thinking that it will actually be impossible to occur and unfortunately, him not listening to a young boy’s warning lead to this scenario which is giving him quite some problems.


“You are also well aware that there are some small nations out there silently preparing and gaining power hoping for a clear chance to strike and take us down and overthrow the ruling of Wisteria. Despite friendly ties with other nations, there are a lot who are not pleased with how we rule the land. Not to mention the worry that there is no male heir to inherit the throne and now I have runaway princesses. I cannot just simply put someone in the throne to replace me unless he is of my descent.” The king said in frustration and looked at Kei.


“Now I need your help to fix this or else we are bound for something more serious.” The king uttered in a serious note as he took a sip from his tea.


“Allow me to suggest this then.” Kei then smiled as he discussed his proposal with the king. While doing so, the King just had a clear surprised face and was a bit worried about it but Kei managed to persuade him with reason and facts that the King cannot deny. After giving it some thought, he looked at Kei and gave him his orders.


“Very well then. We will go with your suggestion. Do pray it will go as you planned. Now go and find them” The King took a paper and wrote something and placed his royal seal on it as he wrapped it in the palace’s official envelope and handed it to Kei.


“As you wish, your highness. I will be off” Kei then smiled and went out with everything he needed and rode the fastest horse the castle offered.


=== ♫ === ♫ === ♫ === ♫ === ♫ ===


[At West Wisteria]


“OUT!!!” One angry old woman is shouting as she shoos out the three princesses away from her store. Apparently, these ladies have been out all day trying to look for a job but they manage to gracefully be thrown out at every store they asked because of their demands for work. 


“What is wrong with this people?!” Rein irritatingly said as she fixed her clothes that was disheveled because the old lady has been literally pushing them out of her store.


“Well, nobody wants to accept our offer of having our work paid in one Pansy per hour.” Chiaki said as she recalls the events.


“They all think we are crazy ne. Is it too much to ask?” Satomi innocently asks as her stomach again rumbled in hunger.

*****

*Greggy here! Don't tell me you forgot me eh?? In Wisteria, monetary units come as follows!*


Bell – Highest currency of money in the land. It is a long yellow paper bill with its back engraved with a garden of bellflowers and the front having a drawing of Wisteria’s Castle. 1 Bell is equal to 1000 Cosmos.


Pansy - One commonly used in trade. It is a long light blue bill with its back designed with a bouquet of Pansy and the front having a picture of the famous Garden of Geran. One Pansy is equal to 500 Cosmos.


Lupine – Currency higher than Cosmos. It is an oval shaped coin with dark purple hue and rough edges. Like the cosmos, its design is the flower at the back and the Wisteria vines design in front.  1 Lupine is equivalent to 100 Cosmos.


Cosmos – Lowest currency of money. It is a round light pinkish colored coin with the flower’s design at the back and the number 1 written with vines in front. Cosmos is small and light with smooth edges and is mostly used for change. 

*****

 

“They are merely offering 1 Lupine a day for each of us! How can we survive with 1 Lupine? One bread alone costs 10 Cosmos already! And it doesn’t even include a jam yet! How can you eat bread without a jam?!” Rein said in dismay as she looks around and is also getting hungry and their stomachs rumbling louder. 


“This is insane.” Chiaki then threw a rock in frustration. Unfortunately, the rock hit a big angry dog and saw them.


“Please not now…” Satomi sighed but her pleads are too late as they all needed to start running since the wild and angry dog started going their way.


=== ♫ === ♫ === ♫ === ♫ === ♫ ===


[At Blue Rose Café]

“Welcome to Blue Rose Café! May I take your order?” A young and cool but mysterious looking waiter asked in his deep voice as he took the order of one female customer who is now stunned while looking at him dreamily. His chiseled face is matched with his light brown hair with bangs that slightly covers half of the left side of his face. His supposedly long sleeved blue shirt is in a rough three-fourths fold which shows that his arms are toned and his uniform fitting well clearly showing off his figure is enough to make the customer be at awe.


“Please give me your bestselling cake ne.” The girl answered while still not taking her eyes off the waiter.


“That will be our moist death by tablea dark chocolate cake. Is that all ma’am?” The waiter confirmed to which the customer just nodded in trance.


“One moist death by tablea dark please!” The waiter then went to the counter to confirm the order.


“Looks like another smitten customer eh! Nice move Keito!” His cousin and the café owner, Park Chanyeol as he saw the reaction of their customer. He is also the one acting as the cashier as of the moment.


“Stop the tease. It’s not that they are smitten by me afterall.” The cool waiter, also known as Okamoto Keito replied.


“You should stay longer here in the café than at the music store ne!” The blonde waiter teased as he saw the scene as well.”


“Hikaru… I am only helping out since you shoo Yabu away to buy out some stocks.” Keito then gave a tired reply to his ever energetic colleague, Yaotome Hikaru. A blonde and cheerful guy with little fangs showing off whenever he smiles. He always manages to lighten up the mood and make people smile with his goofy and carefree attitude which is in contrast to the other waiters which is the meek Keito and the serious Kota. Keito is usually at the music store since music has always been his passion. Not to mention that he is also a well know musician in town but whenever the café is short in manpower, his cousin asks for his assistance on the café.


“Oh! Hikaru, can you please man the cashier for now. Looks like I have an important guest. I will just accommodate him now ok!” Chanyeol then saw a familiar person out the glass door. His noble clothes and familiar smile is all he needs to give Chanyeol the idea on how he must be greeted. He then immediately went out the café and took his guest to his home which is at the 4th floor of the building where the café is also at.


“Man… I wasn’t able to tell Kota to bring some umbrella. That rain is crazy outside now! It was a fine sunny morning just a while ago ne! I hope he is ok.” Hikaru mumbled worriedly as he looked outside and saw the heavy rains.


As if on cue, Kota got back with all the supplies he got from the grocery. Luckily, he is not soaking wet since he managed to get back to the café before the rain took its toll.


“Welcome back!!” Hikaru greeted Kota with a big smile as he helped him carry some of the items he brought while Keito is busy serving the other customers.


“You are quite lucky eh! But what took you quite longer than usual? AH! DID YOU SEE HER?!” Hikaru excitedly asked as he noticed that Kota took quite longer than usual on his shopping.


“I happened to come across some clumsy freak.” Kota sighed exasperatedly as he took the supplies back to the kitchen.


=== ♫ === ♫ === ♫ === ♫ === ♫ ===


The sisters are all drenched under the sudden heavy rain as they shiver and their bodies all tired.


“Just when I thought things can’t get worse. I might’ve spoken a bit too soon.” Rein said while shivering as they kept walking under the harsh condition.


“We hide inside barrels of stuff, we shivered and rode a rustic carriage or whatsoever, we don’t have anything to eat for since last night and now it is already dinner time, we didn’t get any chance of finding work, we don’t have money, we don’t have clothes, we don’t have a place to stay, we run for our lives when a dog chased us, we got lost for a while and went separate ways while running away from a crazy dog and miraculously found each other again, I almost got robbed of my bag and we had to chase the robber, and just when we are all so tired this crazy rain comes. AMAZING indeed.” Chiaki enumerated as she shivers and is walking along with her sisters as they try to find a place where they can temporarily stay at to at least be safe from the rain.


Apparently, most of the structures and buildings they passed by doesn’t have any outside roof where they can stay at even for a while and so they had to walk and walk hoping to find one.


“My… leg hurts…” Chiaki wimped as she noticed that she has a wound on her knee which was because of her tag with the robber where she had a fall and most probably got the wound but they were so busy running that she didn’t notice.


“Hop on.” Satomi then kneeled in front of Chiaki and offered her a piggy back ride while Rein assists her and holds her back for support.


“Look there!!! A roof!” Rein saw an establishment and they immediately went there to seek temporary rest and shelter on the rain.


“This place smells nice ne.” Chiaki said as she took in the smell of brewed tea. 


“Chamomile tea… perfect for such weather.” Satomi said as she recognized the scent. She then slowly puts Chiaki down to look at her wound.


“Achoo!” Rein sneezed as she was shivering badly as well.


“Where are we now?” Chiaki asked as they all were shivering. Rein looked around and saw the signage by the door.


“It says…. Blue… Rose… Café…” Rein tried to speak in between her shiver.

 

 

“OH! THANK GOODNESS!! Seems like there is no need for me to search further.” A familiar voice was heard and the sisters turned to see someone they never expect to come across with now. As they saw his face, a mixed feeling of happiness, that they finally saw someone familiar, and concern, with which this person might just report about their whereabouts and take them back to the place where they just fled from is possible. But considering the circumstances, they can only use this to their advantage.


“We will explain everything later. But right now, please help us first.” Satomi asked with concern as she tried her best to keep her composure.


The guy they saw carried Chiaki and looked at the other guy who was following him. 


“Chanyeol, seems like they are here now so no need to look for them. Can we use your place now?” He asked and the guy just answered with a smile.


“Follow me. If we stay longer they will definitely catch a bad flu.” He then led them to his place and kept them warm.


=== ♫ === ♫ === ♫ === ♫ === ♫ ===