Little Mistake

JOKER

 

 

It has been two days since the discovery of the sixth victim. The crime scene team had checked the scene several times but no other evidence was found, nothing at all. Wonshik was right, The Joker really knows how to choose perfect place to commit his murder.

Hakyeon went to a rather-quiet spot to answer a call from Chief Hwang. Yeah, they often get a scold from Chief Hwang lately. It’s been two months since they handle this case, but there is no progress. There have been seven victims found in the past three years, but there is not enough evidence to solve the case.

“We’d better get back to the station, or we’ll get scolded again from Chief Hwang.” Hakyeon said once he approached Hongbin and Sanghyuk. They nodded to their team leader, getting ready to go back to the station. Hakyeon glanced over at one of forensic team member, giving him a slight nod to inform that they are leaving.

The team leader was about to get into the car when his stomach growling. He scratched his head. He just realized that he has not eaten anything since last night. He was too focused on the case so he did not think about his own health.

“I bet you haven’t eaten. We should stop at a restaurant on the way.” Hongbin said, shooting him a worried glance. He often heard Hakyeon’s stomach growling because of hungry. He also could see dark circles under his team leader’s eyes from lack of sleep.

“Nope. You guys go back to the station first. I’ll look for convenience store around here to find something to eat.” Hakyeon smiled at the younger, too cute to argue. Hongbin can’t help but nodded, waving at him as he joined Sanghyuk who was already waiting in the driver’s seat.

“Don’t overwork yourself, hyung. We’ll going to catch him no matter what. So keep your health so we can catch the culprit.”

“Alright, alright. Hurry up.” Hakyeon waving at them until their car disappeared from his sight. Hi sighed at the thought of his team members. Since when have they been so attentive to him? But he was happy, because there are people who care for him now.

He walked in the opposite direction, looking to the left and right in turn and found a convenience store not far from the crime scene. He glanced at the streetlight in front of the convenience store. If only there is a security camera installed there, the incident that night might be recorded. He let out another sigh. I’m hoping too much. If there is a security camera there, The Joker sure would not throw the corpse of his victim at the playground, but elsewhere. He must have checked the situation first.

He looked away and his eyes met a security camera at the corner of the building. He glance at the camera once again, observed it. If only the camera can record the playground area. He sighed for the umpteenth time, shrugged as he made his way to the convenience store.

He pushed the handle of the glass door and stepped inside. He went straight to the left and his eyes met various flavor of ramyeon cup at the rack nearby. He took a cup of ramyeon in no time and went straight to the counter, but his mind keep haunted by the security camera he saw before. He racked his brain, thinking of every single possibility so he could find a hint from the security footage. He almost tripped over his legs when the idea hit him.

“Excuse me. Are these security cameras operative or are they just there for show?”

“Uh? Yeah, they work.” The employee answered, not even trying to face him. He was busy with his smartphone instead.

“Do you have the tape from two days ago?” He asked. But instead of getting an answer, he got a confused glare from the employee. He stayed still for a moment before slapped his own forehead.

“Ah, sorry,” Hakyeon paused, showing his badge to the employee, “I’m Captain Cha Hakyeon from Gangnam Police Station.”

“Please follow me.” The employee left his desk and led him to the security room, then showing him a computer where he can watch the security footage.

“Just push that button for playback,” the employee said, pointing at the button he meant, “I’m just gonna stay here while you look at that.”

Hakyeon observed the footage of camera 3 – the one that installed outside – while occasionally pressing the speed button. He watched the video carefully. He was kind of sleepy when he saw something on the screen, exactly as he expected. A white sedan stopped near the streetlight from 00:47 on May 2, 2017. He slapped the desk in joy, startling the employee who was standing in the doorway, still busy with his smartphone.

“You startled me. What happened? Is there something wrong with the computer?”

“Nothing. I was just... happy.” Hakyeon replied, not even interested to take his eyes off from the computer screen for even a second. The employee just shrugged as he back to his job, playing with his smartphone.

Hakyeon pushed the playback button several time, and pausing the video when it showing the car, “if that car was parked there at that time, the incident might be recorded from the black box.” Hakyeon murmured. He stared at the screen as he enlarged the image of the white sedan, “That car looks familiar.” Hakyeon thought. He sure he has seen that car. He resumed the video and stared the white sedan on the video a bit longer, eyes widened when he finally saw someone got into the car, finally recognize the car, “oh? Isn’t it Heeseok?”

He didn’t waste time. He immediately called the car’s owner while copying the file from the computer.

“Heeseok-ah, where are you?”

“I’m at the crime scene, hyung. What—”

“Where is your car?”

“My car? It’s parked in front of the station. But... why are you asking about my car? Do you want to borrow it?”

“Nope. I need to check the black box in your car.”

“Black box? What for? Is it relate—”

Hakyeon hung up before Heeseok could finish his words. He removed his USB and rushing to leave the convenience store. He dialed another number once he got into his car. This time it’s Taekwoon.

“Taekwoon-ah, I need you to check something.”

“Uh? What?”

“Please check the black box in the white sedan which parked in front of the station, BMW 5 series. Don’t worry, it’s my former team member’s car.”

“But... for what?”

“Just check it, and you will know. Tell the other to prepare for the meeting. I’ll be there soon.”

 

***

 

“What’s wrong with this sudden meeting, hyung?” Wonshik whined. He was just about to lay his exhausted body in the office sofa when Taekwoon called him to prepare a sudden meeting, while Sanghyuk and Hongbin were just arrived at the station.

“I found something when I went to the convenience store near the crime scene.” Hakyeon replied.

“What is it?” Hongbin asked. He shifted his position, getting ready to hear the hot news from their team leader. He could see how serious Hakyeon’s facial expression was, and so does Taekwoon.

“I checked the footage of the security camera which installed in front of the convenience store and saw this car,” Hakyeon said as he showing a video he’d copied from the security room of the convenience store he had visited, “the car was parked there from 00:47 until 01:53, and the time of Seo Boram’s death is estimated to occur at that time interval.” Hakyeon doesn’t need to explain why he talked about the car because Wonshik, Hongbin, and Sanghyuk were already focused on the key of the video, a red dot blinking from an object that installed on the back of the car’s rearview mirror.

“Taekwoon has checked the contents of the black box and found this,” Hakyeon clicked the button of the pointer he holds and played a video of a black hooded man who was pulling a bloody corpse out from his car’s trunk, then dragging the corpse and put it on a slide. After the video ended, the team leader showed them a picture of a black sedan, the same car that they saw in the video, “this is his car. I checked the license plate and found that it was a fake.”

“It will be difficult to identify the owner of the car. There are so many people who own cars like this.” Sanghyuk sighed.

“At least we know what kind of vehicle he has. And at the very least, we’ve found one of his little mistakes.” Taekwoon replied after a quite long mute.

“Then what will we do, Timjang-nim?” Hongbin asked.

“It may be tiring, but we have to identify everyone who owns car like this. One of them must be him. And don’t forget that there is a possibility that he has changed the color of his car, or maybe even not often use that car. You know how perfectionist he is.”

 

***

 

“It looks like you’ve been so busy lately. You’ve rarely come here.” Hyukjae said once he approached Hakyeon.

“Sorry, hyung. But this current case really made me crazy. Do you remember the news about a serial murder case, which one of the victims is a model?”

“Ah, yes, I remember. Are you working for that case? Aren’t you in cyber crime department?”

“I was transferred to homicide department and currently working for that case.” Hakyeon replied, showing his stank face expression, “But this is very confusing, Hyung. The victims keep popping up, but we have no evidence to find the culprit. We found his car from black box footage, but he’s using a fake plate.”

“You found his car?” Hyukjae raised his voice tone, quite surprised with the information.

“Not really. We found a tape showing when he was commiting his crime. And from that tape we know what kind of car he has. We are identifying about it these few days.

“I see.” He nodded to Hakyeon’s explanation.

“So, who is he?” Hyukjae tilted his head to face the expressionless man who sat across to him. Hakyeon always comes and eats alone, even since the end of three years ago. But unlike usual, this time he came with a friend.

Hakyeon followed his gaze and slap his forehead, “Ah, let me introduce him to you. He is Jung Taekwoon, one of my team members,” Hakyeon paused, turned his head to face Taekwoon, “and Taekwoon, this is Kwon Hyukjae, the owner of this restaurant.”

“Nice to meet you.” Taekwoon greet to him, bowing his head a little bit.

“Nice to meet you too, Jung Taekwoon-ssi. Don’t believe him. This restaurant is not mine, but my grandmother’s.” Hyukjae smiled, then shifted his gaze to Hakyeon and shot him a death glare.

Yah, she is your grandma. His property is yours, and yours is hers.” Hakyeon said, stuck his tongue out.

Whatever you say. But it’s good that you finally bring your team member to eat here.”

“Ah, you’re right. Finally I can help your business. So you will give me a discount, right? You have promised me.”

I never promised you. Don’t ever try to play a trick on me, you little brat.” He raised a spoon to smack Hakyeon’s head but Hakyeon can’t help but burst out laugh. Hyukjae ended up laughing too.

Taekwoon just stares at them in silence, occasionally forcing himself to smile or join in laughing for their somewhat un-funny conversation. He has finished his food when his phone rang. He glanced over at Hakyeon, giving him a slight nod to inform that he would go outside to pick up the phone for a while, leaving Hakyeon and the restaurant owner engrossed in conversation.

“Hello. Can I speak to Jung Taekwoon-ssi? I am Sung Sikyung, the principal of Hyundai Senior High School.”

“Yes, Jung Taekwoon speaking.”

“I’m sorry for bothering you. I’m calling because of your brother. He made a pretty big deal this time.”

“Pardon me? Are you saying that my brother has gotten himself into a trouble... again?” Taekwoon silently cursed in his mind. Oh My God. What kind of trouble do you do this time, Jung Jiwoon?

“Yeah, your brother bullied a student until he tried to commit suicide. I can’t explain it on the phone. You better come here quickly. His parents also want to talk to you.”

Taekwoon’s jaw was about to drop to the ground. He doesn’t know what to say. He muted for a moment before open his mouth to speak, “alright, I’ll be there in less than thirty minutes.” I’m going to kill you this time, you damn brat.

“Good. Thank you. I’ll be waiting.

 

***

 


Sorry for Late update. I'm busy to prepare the souvenirs for my sister's wedding (should I prepare some souvenirs like The Joker does? Hahahaha)

But frankly I'm upset right now. It's like I am talking alone in the end of every chapter but no one even interested to comment this story. I just want to know your thought about this story, is it that bad or quite good?

And don't forget that I really appreciate and grateful for everyone who has read and subscribe (and even upvote) this story.

And at the very last, sorry for my broken english and my poor skill in describing this story. Hope you like it.

.: 인형 :.