Suicide

JOKER

 

 

“... The serial killer Yoo Changseon committed suicide by burning a charcoal briquette in the cab of his car, causing him to suffocate. Yoo Changseon allegedly committed suicide shortly after he killed his seventh victim, who was found in the Hyundai Senior High School yard four days ago. He didn’t leave any will, but it’s seems likely that he was under pressure ....”

Hakyeon screamed as he slammed his cell phone to the ground. Stupid news. Suicide, my . He was obviously murdered and placed there on purpose. His body was unnatural positioned, and everyone at the scene at that time knows it.

Hakyeon pulled his knees down to his chin and buried his head on his knees.

“Are you okay?” He flinched at the sudden touch on his shoulder. He looked up and found Minhyuk who was patting his shoulder.

Hakyeon did not answer. His face reddened as he stood and pulled Minhyuk’s collar. “You saw it too. And you also sure that it is not suicide. So why can the news be like this?”

Minhyuk coughed and fixed his collar that had just gotten out of Hakyeon’s grip. He pulled a chair off Taekwoon's desk and sat on it. “There’s nothing we can do, Yeon-ah. Some people from the Prosecutor’s Office suddenly came and took all files about the case. The result of the autopsy has not even reached our hand.” He said sadly.

“Does that make sense? They didn’t even care about this case before.” His knuckles turned white as he clenched his fist. “They came by whose instruction? Who’s responsible for this inspection?” He continued after managed to control his emotions.

“Prosecutor Yoon Jisoo.” Minhyuk replied briefly.

“Prosecutor Yoon Jisoo? The name sounds familiar.”

“He had just been assigned to this city a month ago.” Hakyeon nodded, trying to remember that name but there was no picture of the face that came to his mind.

While Hakyeon was still quietly trying to remember that name, Minhyuk also keep silent not knowing what else to say. He was the person who understood the most how important this case was to Hakyeon. Of course this case was also very important to him. He also felt lost on the death of his cousin and was eager to capture the killer with his own hands. But compared to the sadness of his loss, Hakyeon's might be many times harder, considering she’s the only person Hakyeon had after his parents died.

“Hyung, are you looking for me?” both of them looked at the door and found Heeseok standing awkwardly there.

“Yes, I am. I just want to give you these files.” Hakyeon said before handed him a portfolio. “But why are you looking for these files?”

“Uh, it’s... there is a similar case, so we need it as a reference.” He replied. Because Hakyeon just nodded, Heeseok didn’t wait long and immediately said good-bye to return to his office.

“Wait!” Hakyeon called when Heeseok was already standing right in front of the door. “Do you know Prosecutor Yoon Jisoo?”

Heeseok gulped. Luckily Hakyeon didn’t see the change of his expression. “Prosecutor Yoon Jisoo? He is–”

“Hyung, Chief Hwang is looking for you. He’s waiting for you in his office.” Just then, Wonshik stuck his head between the doors. His sudden appearance leaving Heeseok’s answer hanging in the air unfinished. Saved by the bell.

 

***

 

“Since the suspect committed suicide, the prosecutor will dismiss the seven cases as there is no right of arraignment.”

Hakyeon closed his eyes and sighed deeply, “The real criminal of this case hasn't been caught yet.”

Chief Hwang raised his voice, “He is the real criminal, Cha Hakyeon. We've got the proof, and you found it yourself.”

“Do you ignore the fact that the suspect body was unnatural positioned? I am very sure he was murdered and placed there on purpose. Moreover, there is another unknown DNA that found in the necklace. That could belong to the real killer.”

“But there is no evidence to justify your argument.”

“Can't you just trust me this time? Please give me a few days. I will soon find the real killer.”

“Stop it already, Cha Hakyeon! Why are you so stubborn?” Chief Hwang sighed as he turned around, getting frustrated, “Is this because of... Hong Yiseul?” Chief Hwang asked a moment later, making him shocked. His breath suddenly felt uneven. He knew that he always weak when it’s about Yiseul. Just hearing her name made his heart shattered into pieces.

“I know everything from the beginning. That's why I made you the leader of this investigation team. But this is over now. The killer is dead. Just accept the facts and give up on this case.” For the first time in his life, he heard him speak that soft. He even patted his back, left him frozen in sorrow.

Why is it so hurt to accept this fact?

Why is it so hard to give up in this case?

 

***

 

Hakyeon switched off the engine of his car after parking it perfectly. He glance at his phone, there was an incoming call again from Minhyuk. He took off his seat belt and waited a few seconds for the phone to stop ringing before he grabbed it and got out of the car. He’s not in the mood to talk with Minhyuk. After all he knew what he was going to say.

Hakyeon stop his pace as the phone in his hand vibrated, slightly lowered his head to read the messages from Minhyuk when suddenly someone bump into him, making him almost fall onto the floor. He wanted to scold the person who bumped into him, but discouraged after he recognized him, “Oh, Heeseok-ah–”

“Hyung, I’m sorry but I need to leave now.” Heeseok mumbled before bowing slightly at him and walk away in hurry.

Hakyeon just nodded as he watched until Heeseok ran across the highway, “What’s wrong with him?”

“Halmeoni, see who's coming.” He heard Hyukjae’s voice from the counter, and within seconds an elderly lady come to greet him and give him a hug.

“Ugh, why are you so skinny, huh? I told you to come here often.” She grumbled as she led him to a table in the corner of the room, “Wait here. I'll bring some food. You know, my new recipe has been waiting for you.” She said before leaving to the kitchen. Hakyeon faked a smile in response.

“It’s been a while.” Hyukjae said as he put a glass of water on the table and sit across to him.

“Right.” Again, Hakyeon faked a smile in response. He took the water Hyukjae gave him and drink it.

“Are you disappointed?” Hyukjae asked as he pulled a chair across from Hakyeon and occupying it. “Uh, what–”

“I saw it on the news. The killer committed suicide, did not he?”

Hakyeon’s expression darkened. He run his finger through the edge of the already empty glass, “So, you also believe the news.”

Hyukjae leaned forward. It took him a moment to process. “What do you mean?”

“It did not happen as it was claimed, Hyung. All the officers at the scene at the time realized that there was something strange with the position of his body when found. I'm sure there's someone who purposely killed him and disguised this as a suicide case.”

His eyes widened a bit. “Are you sure?”

“Yeah. But there’s nothing I can do. The prosecutors have closed the case. They don’t care whether the real killer is caught or not, the important thing people already believe that the culprit is dead.”

Hyukjae leaned back to his seat, one corner of his lips raised to form an unsymmetrical smile, “Tsk, I think things like this only happens in dramas.”

Hakyeon flashed him a bitter smile, “sometimes reality is crueler than drama.”

Hyukjae’s grandma returned from the kitchen, astonished at their gloomy faces. “What’s with this atmosphere, huh?”

“It’s nothing, Halmeoni. Please serve the food, I’m so hungry.” Hakyeon lied as he faked a smile.

 

***