The Joker

JOKER

 

Hakyeon pulled out a box full of files from under his bed and placed it on the table. The files are already dusty, because he rarely touched it lately. Actually he hates to read the files, but he must read them for the sake of their investigation. After all he painstakingly collected all these files to use for this case, didn't he?

He was checking the files when a picture fell to the floor. It was a photograph taken at the crime scene in December two years ago. Hakyeon froze after seeing the picture. His whole body shivered. With his trembling hand, he took the picture.

“I'm sorry, Yiseul-ah. I really am sorry.” Hakyeon looked down as the picture falling again to the floor, tears starting to flow and he bit back a loud sob. He fell to his knees, crying into his hands as his body trembled with the force of his sobs.

Memories of the incident two years ago kept ringing in his mind. Am I that bad? I should have listened to her. I should have believed her. It was all my fault.

 

***

 

It has been a month since they started a re-investigation, but no there is progress at all. There is no evidence to show who did it. They are like doing a futile job. A month is not a short time. They have been exhausted during the past month. They lack of sleep. Wonshik is often found asleep at a meeting, as he does now. He was snoring in the corner when Hakyeon was leading the meeting. Hakyeon actually wanted to reprimand him, but he burst in laugh instead after seeing Sanghyuk wake him up. That evil maknae know well how to tease the older.

“Hyung, there is a bug on your head.” Sanghyuk whispered to Wonshik’s ear. Hearing the word 'bug' makes Wonshik completely woke up. He instantly stood up and started to shake his head like crazy, trying to get rid of the bug in his hairs that never existed on the first place. Seeing the sight of poor Wonshik with his fear expression, the others – including Taekwoon – could not help but to laugh out loud. No one would have expected a cool and muscular guy like Wonshik to be afraid of a bug.

“I think our meeting for today is enough. You must be very tired, especially you, Kim Wonshik.” Hakyeon said, smiled at the now-calmed Wonshik. Wonshik just smiled shyly, scratching his un-itchy head, and then stopped immediately at the thought of the bug smell was still in his hair, causing the others burst in laugh again.

“There was no bug in your hair, Shik-ah. Sanghyuk was just tried to tease you.” Hakyeon told him, causing Wonshik to grumble with his mafia-like voice. Sanghyuk couldn't help but smile in satisfaction, while Hongbin on the other hand nearly out of breath for laughing. Jaehwan who stood next to Hongbin laughing dramatically while pressing his stomach. He kept laugh out loud until he got a kick on the by the now-calmed Taekwoon who is sipping his latte casually.

“Now go home and take a rest. I don't feel like seeing your sleepy face right now.” Hakyeon said with playful tone, earned smiles and sighs of relief from the others.

“Thanks, hyung. You know well that I miss my pillow.” Wonshik smiled brightly at the thought of lying his head in his favorite, soft pillow.

“No need to worry, your pillow will not run anywhere.” Sanghyuk taunted, sticking his tongue out to .

“Just admit that you miss your doll too. What's its name? Lio?” Wonshik replied. Hearing the word ‘Lio’ makes Taekwoon to raise his eyebrow. Doesn’t it sound like his nickname, Leo?

“Yeah, you guys keep arguing with your dolls and pillows, while there are some corpses waiting for me at the hospital. I even had to miss the latest episode of one piece today.” Jaehwan complained childishly.

“Go home quickly, before I change my mind.” Hakyeon said, causing the others but Taekwoon rushing to pack their stuff and flee from the meeting room in no time.

 

***

 

He watched the watch on his wrist, smiled eerily with every second passed. He's been sitting for almost an hour, waiting for that moment. Frankly he can’t wait to start his job, but he has to, at least until the time comes. He took a deep breath in order to calming himself. He merrily countdown from ten to one and smirked as the number on his watch changed from 22:59 to 23:00.

It’s time to work.

He enters his workroom while humming a random song happily. He took a deep breath, enjoying the scent of his workroom. He looked at the beauty of the room's decor, and his eyes stopped at the glass cabinet in the corner. He then approached the cabinet and caressing it,

Just wait a bit longer, I will decorate you with a new accessory.

Suddenly he heard a noise. He turned toward the annoying noise and his eyes met a figure tied to a chair, struggling to open the knot that was being tied around her hand.

“Are you awake?”

He went to her and kneeled so that their heights are the same. He leaned his face closer to her ear and whispered, “Just wait a bit longer. Everything is coming to an end.”

He then left the room, completely unconcerned with the woman who kept struggling with the rope, trying to shout from behind the tape that was covering . He returned to the room a few minutes later with a black briefcase. He went to her, caressing her cheek gently.

“You shouldn't upset me at the first place.” He smirked eerily.

He put the briefcase on the floor and opened it. The woman’s eyes widened in fear as soon as she saw the contents of the briefcase. There are various sharp objects there, which the kidnapper might use to end her life.

He pulled out a knife from the briefcase, observing the glittering knife and smiled in horror. He then took another knife with his free hand. He stared at the knives in both of his hands, wondering which knife he should use.

Seeing the sight of the kidnapper staring at his knives makes the woman more frightened, especially after he approached. He explored her face with her free hand, gently caressing her eyes, cheeks, nose, and down to remove the tape that was covering . The woman screamed as soon as the tape was removed. The kidnapper doesn't even bother to silence her back, because no matter how hard she shouts, no one could hear her.

“I was wrong. Please do not kill me.” She begged her kidnapper as she started to cry, but it wouldn't stop him at all. It just makes him more excited.

He started to stab her in the chest and happily counts every stab as he laughed, enjoying the melody of his victim's screams. The more she screams, the more he excited. He stopped after his victim no longer sang her death song. His victim was not breathing anymore. She was now lying lifeless on the floor, covered with red liquid flowing from her chest. So it's time for the next stage, isn't it?

He pulled a saw out of his briefcase, slashing the victim's neck slowly as if he was slaughtering an animal, no matter how much blood kept flowing from his victim's wounds and littering the floor of his previously clean workroom. It doesn't matter. I can mop it later tough.

He stopped after his victim's head was nearly severed from his body. He disgustedly stared at his victim who was lying on the floor in a very pathetic condition, "”serves you right. You deserve it.”

Now it’s time to take the souvenirs. He pulled the pliers out of his briefcase and started cutting off the fingers of his victim, three right fingers, and three left fingers. It will look more artistic than cutting the whole right finger and cutting off one finger left, isn’t it? He then inserted the clipped fingers into a glass box labeled 'Seo Boram'.

My job is done.

"You want to go home, won’t you? Don’t worry, the cops will drive you.”

 

***

 


A/N : How was the story? do you like it? Please tell me.