It's Not Great To Be Cold And Wet

Ways To Take Care Of Your Bae

 

 

You suddenly looked up from your notebook, startled by a loud boom which rumbled and made a few of the trinkets placed on your desk vibrate. You turned your head to the window and saw dark, gloomy clouds covering the skies. Strange, it was bright and sunny a moment ago. You might have been too absorbed in your studies to notice it. Strong gusts of wind entered the bedroom, so you stood up from your chair and quickly went to close the window, a shrill noise squeaking out as you did that.

 

“Unnie, it’s gonna rain!” you heard Yaebin called out to Kyungwon from the living room. The sound of a door opening could be heard. “Where’s the umbrellas?”

 

It was only the 3 of you in the dorm currently. You remembered the others were out on their individual activities; either on schedule, school or just spending their much-needed free time. It’s Saturday, and you’re stuck in the dorm catching up on whatever lessons you’ve missed in school while you were away doing your group promotions. Kyungwon and Yaebin were preparing to go to their favorite convenience store to buy groceries and also junk food. It’s not a trip to the store without spending money on snacks and ramen, diets be damned.

 

“Shouldn’t they be in the store room?”

 

“No, they’re not in he- Oh wait, found em’.”

 

“Great, let’s go now before it gets too heavy.”Kyungwon’s loud voice replied. When you returned back to your desk, you saw the blonde’s head peeking into your room. “Yewon ah, you want anything from the shop?”

 

You contemplated for a while, before your eyes lit up. “Vanilla yogurt please!” you answered excitedly.

 

“Ah yes, a sweet girl like you deserves an equally sweet treat.”

 

You almost rolled your eyes at how your sub-sub leader was being her usual greasy self. Instead, you just smiled amusingly at her and playfully shooed her away. Kyungwon feigned a pained expression on her face, clenching her heart as she did so.

 

“Unnie, stop flirting and let’s go already,” you heard Yaebin complaining and pulling Kyungwon away from the room towards the front door. You heard the door closing shut, and then silence. Other than the whirring of the fan next to you, the entire dorm was quiet and strangely void of the usual ruckus which you are so familiar with.

 

It kind of makes you feel lonely as you diligently wrote down your notes. Eventually, the lack of any human chatters, plus the loud rumbling of thunder from outside got the better of you. You opened your drawer, grabbed your favorite earphones, and plugged it into your phone. At least music is always there to accompany you when nobody else is around, you solemnly thought.

 

The rain has yet to let up as you go through pages after pages of handwritten notes. You were starting to get tired of all the content that you have to go through. But alas, there’s going to be a test next week and you couldn’t afford to slack behind after all the stuff you’ve already missed. You paused for a moment, rubbing the sleep away from your tired eyes and letting yourself take a breather.

 

A text chimed in.

 

You checked to see a notification on the Pristin group chat. Specifically from Sungyeon.

 

Baesoongie: hey is there nobody in the dorm right now?

You furrowed your brows. You were about to reply but someone else beat you to it.

KangBean: wha? Isnt Yewon inside??? Me and Kyungwon unnie are stuck at the konbini right now

Baesoongie: srsly? I rang the doorbell but nobody answered…

Illa: Unnie did you forget your keys again?

Baesoongie: I WAS IN A RUSH

Baesoongie: AND IM ALSO FREEZING COLD RIGHT NOW

Baesoongie: PLS HELP

 

In a heartbeat, you dropped your phone down on the desk, ripped the earphones out of your ears, and almost tripped all over yourself as you hastily ran towards the front door. After unlocking it, you’re greeted by the sight of an incredibly drenched and soaked to the bone Sungyeon, none too pleased with the state that she was in right now.

 

“Oh my god!” you exclaimed in shock.

 

“What took you so long?” Sungyeon stared at you, deadpanned. Water droplets kept dripping from the ends of her hair and all over her body. Her t-shirt and denim shorts absorbed much of the water, leaving them in a darker shade than usual. The backpack she carried and phone in her hand were wet too. Sungyeon was also shivering. She tried to not make it so obvious but it failed. “G-get me a-a t-towel, Y-Yewonie.”

 

After rushing off to the bathroom to get a clean towel for Sungyeon, you followed her into her shared bedroom with Kyulkyung. There was already a wet trail behind her. You made a mental note of cleaning that up later before anybody else comes home.

 

“Talk about bad luck,” your best friend muttered as she started drying her hair first. The shivering has stopped from what you observed.

 

“Let me help you.” You grabbed hold of the hair dryer (so conveniently placed and already plugged in on one of the roommates’ side table), and switched it on.

 

“At least I didn’t freeze to death,” Sungyeon said over the moderately loud blowing noise, shaking her head like a puppy trying to dry itself after using the towel. She continued on wiping herself from her face, neck and down to the rest of her lower body. “What the heck were you doing in here? I rang the bell like a thousand times.”

 

Your eyes casted downwards while you were busy using the hair dryer on Sungyeon’s brunette hair. “Sorry, I was listening to my music too loudly. I seriously didn’t realise you were outside…”

 

“Well, I guess it’s fine,” Sungyeon finished drying any part of her which were exposed to the elements. Backpack already on the floor, she turned around to face you, interrupting your work on her hair. She certainly noticed the guilt plastered all over your face. You’ve never been great at hiding your emotions well. “Come on, don’t sulk like that. I’m really not mad or anything,” she tried to reassure you.

 

“Really?”

 

A playful smirk curved up on her lips. “It’ll take a whole lot more than you answering the door late to get me angry.”

 

Your eyes softened at her words, feeling relieved that there was nothing wrong between the both of you. Like any close relationships, you’ve had your fair share of arguments with her, but they were nothing too serious. Some annoyances, some disagreements over trivial matters. A few almost bordered on wanting to strangle the other person to death, but fortunately those were settled quickly. Sometimes your best friend does get under your skin with her teasing but you know they were all just in light-hearted fun. It wouldn’t be the same without the usual banters between the both of you.

 

“You should go take a warm shower,” you switched off and placed the hair dryer back down after being done with Sungyeon’s hair. “I’ll just leave you alone to change.”

 

“Sure. Thanks for the help, by the way.”

 

You showed off one of your charming smiles at her as you headed out of her room, closing the door behind you. You still had to study though. The thought of studying again already made your eyes glaze over with exhaustion. Maybe a little pick-me-up could do the trick.

 

Stepping into the kitchen, you searched through the upper cupboards for any signs of the instant coffee packets. To be honest, you weren’t much of a caffeine person but damn it, you’d really fall asleep if you had to read another line of South Korea’s history. You finally found it! But something else caught your eye. Next to the coffee was a box of instant hot chocolate packets. Has it always been there? You don’t quite remember who bought it, but this sure beats having to drink bland and bitter coffee.

 

You took the box out and a sudden thought popped into your mind. Should you make one for Sungyeon, you asked yourself. Coming back home cold and wet wasn’t really the best thing ever. She could use something warm in her system. Plus, she does like chocolate. It wouldn’t hurt to make one for her too. After finding two mugs to drink from and a spoon, you started on making one for yourself first. Sungyeon would probably be taking a while in the bathroom for sure so there was no rush.

 

“Who told you you could raid my hot chocolate stash?”

 

You yelped and almost jumped out of your skin when you felt two arms wrapping themselves around your delicate waist. By of luck, the mug that you were stirring didn’t topple over, thank goodness. You whipped your head to the right, glaring daggers at a very amused Sungyeon whose face was currently resting on your shoulder.

 

“Aren’t you supposed to be in the shower?” You questioned, noticing how she was already in a new set of clothes consisting of a tank top and sweatpants.

 

“I was going to but then I smelled the distinct aroma of chocolate in the air,” Sungyeon stared at the mug on the counter. “And here I am now, catching you red-handed with stuff that’s clearly mine.” She then returned back to staring at you with a deadpanned expression. You could feel her tightening the impromptu backhug.

 

“I was planning to make one for you too, you dork,” you retaliated by lightly pinching one of her unguarded cheeks. You couldn’t help the triumphant grin on your face when she made a noise of complaint. “Guess you’re not getting one now.”

 

“Have I ever told you’re like a ray of sunshine, brightening up my life and warming me up a whole lot better than hot chocolate?”

 

“Flattery won’t get you anywhere, but thanks for saying that.” You released your hold on her, much to Sungyeon’s relief.

 

“Damn, and here I thought throwing a few corny pickup lines could work,” Sungyeon sullenly said.

 

You chuckled at her cute behaviour. Yup, it wouldn’t be them without the daily banters spicing up their lives. You used this opportunity to nuzzle your best friend, the mug in front of you already a second priority. Sungyeon too didn’t mind the affectionate gesture if the pleased giggle and not wanting to run away from this ‘sappy moment’ they were sharing was anything to go by.

 

“Omo!”

 

Both of you froze and slowly turned your heads to where the doorway of the kitchen was. There you found Kyungwon and Yaebin back from their trip to the konbini with plastic bags in hands, gaping at the both of you like they’ve just caught you in a scandalous situation.

 

“This explains why the both of you went silent on the group chat,” Yaebin knowingly grinned. “Nayoung unnie almost wanted to run off from her photoshoot just to see if you’re alright, Sungyeon.”

 

“Uh, tell her I’m fine and I won’t forget my keys again.” Sungyeon said.

 

You nudged your elbow at her abdomen.

 

“Oomf, and my umbrella.”

 

“I spent money on you, Yewon!” Kyungwon began. “And this is how you repay me!?” she pointed at you and Sungyeon offendedly. You witnessed her dramatically pulling out a tub of vanilla yogurt (your favorite brand too) from the bag, showing it off for the whole world to see. Yaebin could only shake her head at her antics.

 

“Wow, yogurt.” Sungyeon said, mildly impressed.

 

“Unnie, you didn’t have to buy the big one!” you exclaimed in disbelief.

 

“Sweet girl deserves all of the sweetness, she said.” Yaebin resisted the urge to burst out in laughter.

 

Your blonde unnie (still dramatic as ever) went up to the counter near the both of you and slammed the tub on it. “I guess this is the end...” Kyungwon gloomingly uttered. “Take care of her well, Sungyeon,” she patted your best friend while faking a teary sob. “You have my blessings.” With that, she left the kitchen. Dramatically, of course.

 

“What the heck just happened?” Sungyeon blinked, releasing you from the backhug. You’re glad that she wasn’t able to see your disappointment when it had to end. It felt really nice to be held like that, especially by her.

 

“You’ve been blessed, what else?” Yaebin happily pointed out as she started to put away all of the groceries they bought.

 

“I don’t think I want Yuyu unnie to bless me after witnessing that whole variety act,” she shuddered.

 

You hoped you didn’t somehow hurt your unnie’s feelings unknowingly. Sometimes it was difficult to tell if Kyungwon was being serious or not. You made another mental note to check in on her when she’s alone. You returned to focusing on making that hot chocolate you left half-stirred.

 

You certainly didn’t expect to be interrupted again by a quick peck on your cheek.

 

“That’s payback for last time,” Sungyeon whispered into your ear.

 

You could feel a furious blush dangerously rising up your face. When you turned to face the culprit, you could only catch a glimpse of her running out of the kitchen. Your hand reached up to cover your warm cheek. That sneaky little…

 

You heard a forced cough breaking your reverie, and turned to see Yaebin sporting on a very knowing look at you.

 

“You have my blessings too, you know,” she proudly said.

 

You sure wished you didn’t. Curse you, hot chocolate.

 

 

Author's Note: Well, this chapter went a little overboard. Mostly because Kyungwon and Yaebin (yes, I have to spell her name this way now lol) are in here. Up until now, I haven't written the other members so this was a good way for me to get a hang of their characters. I'm still new to their personalities so forgive me if they seemed a little OOC to you. As usual, thanks to everyone who has read and subscribed! Comments are much appreciated too so don't be shy to leave your thoughts ^^