E for the enormous worries

All for nothing


E for the enormous worries

1941-03-30
France

The room is average, because really, there is nothing pleasant in it, yet, within a single heartbeat it becomes the most beautiful place in the whole wide world to her. All of a sudden, the dirty walls turn into unbreakable shields, while the torn blanket seems like a shelter that kept her lovable brother warm during the cool nights. Her slim fingers graze the edge of the abandoned bed before she looks directly into the younger one’s blue eyes. Her baby brother looks so much older than she remembered!

Claire doesn’t even care about the unfamiliar solder behind Enzo, she stands up as quick as her tired legs allow her then jumps right into her lanky brother’s manly arms.

’I missed you so so much. I've thought that I could never see you again.’ She murmurs under her nose with dozens of salty teardrops in her shining eyes. Her shaking arms encompass the French boy’s tall body while Enzo’s hands take a nap on her back. They squeeze each other so tight as if their lives depends on it and this whole situation makes the Sin frustrated in the background. He’s never been familiar with this strange kindness especially when it came to his own brother.

’How?’ Claire’s little brother asks quietly before he draws apart from the blonde girl. The itching gap between them is so tiny they literally inbreath the same air.

’Taehyung.’ She says as if a single name could explain everything and her gaze loiters over the blonde demon standing next to Enzo’s fellow. The Sin’s back leans against the dirty wall so loosely, she almost believes that there is nothing she should be afraid of. He will protect her anyway. ’Somehow he found a way and... I still can't believe you're here. Are you okay? Do they give you enough food, right? You look...’ She talks senselessly and her hands rise above her head then fall onto her sides after she takes a step backward to get a better sight of his hollow cheeks.

’You should stop worrying about me, sis. You know that I have never had high expectations.’ He says with a shy smile on his face. He grabs his sister’s small palm ever so gently before he leads her to his poor bed in the other half of the room so they can speak privately. Although, he is grateful for Taehyung, there is something unexplainable about him that bothers the soldier. Something dark that he cannot name.

Claire pulls her hand out from the cage of his brother’s fingers and sinks it into her brown bag. It doesn’t take a moment to find the homemade cakes packed into textile.

’I brought you something. It's not much but...’ Her voice is so humble and poor it makes the soldier angry. They have never been rich, but they all had a beautiful childhood full of wonders hence he’s never been envious of anyone in the neighbourhood. She should know that better than anyone that he wouldn’t change even a single memory for treasures. Those kind of things never mattered to him, anyway.

’It's okay, Claire, really. You should know that you're enough.’ He says while he pushes her onto the white blanket. He breaks the chocolate croissant into two pieces and gives the bigger part to her stubborn sister after he sits beside her. ’But, are you okay? And who is this guy, anyway?’

’Oh, he is… well, he is my boyfriend or at least, something really close to it. He cares about me and I think I care about him, too.’ She confesses with bated breath and her cheeks becomes red when she sinks into her sweet, loving thoughts. The last two months were shockingly pleasant if something could be pleasurable at all when the whole world’s fighting and somehow she fell in love with the man bit by bit without noticing. She fell into his cheeky smile, his lame jokes, his rude swears; the offended, abandoned child behind those cold eyes.

’How did you two meet? Please, tell me that he isn't one of your drunk customers.’ The air gets stucked in Claire’s lungs due to her brother’s harsh question and her narrow eyebrows abut when she tilts her head to right.

’What if he were?’ She asks and her determined presence makes the eavesdropper Sin laugh in the background. It’s been a while since someone defended him so confidently. His human friends have never had the courage to stand by his side against the future king. This silly situation kinda makes him satisfied in a strange, fluid way he never experienced before. ’He is a really good person. He saved me from a jerk and thanks to him I'm here with you.’

Claire straightens her back and narrows her eyes. She looks so committed like a storm tempered, warrior goddess. For a passing moment, Taehyung believes that her fiery gaze could have their enemies forced to kneel.

’You love him.’ Enzo whispers disconcertedly; his eyes become twice as big as usual due to his sincere dismay. His precious sister is one of those people who cannot settle down next to a single person. Her kindness is eternal but she has always been problems with expressing her honest feelings. After their parents and their older sister, Bethanie died she stopped saying those fearless I love yous out loud.

’'Maybe.’ She lowers her head and her glance stuck on her shoes as if they were the eighth wonders of the world. The old, leather straps scratched her soft skin badly during the way to the base hence her vivid blood paints the brown material all carmine and deep red.

’Did you tell him already?’ Her brother asks before he carefully takes off the shoes from her feet. He leans towards the wooden bedside locker next to their strange pair.

’No.’ Claire’s gaze follows her brother’s hands and she hisses in pain when Enzo creams her feet with antiseptic gel. Although, the tube is almost empty, he covers the red wounds thickly and he cannot stop shaking his head with that reproachfully motion she has always hated. As if he knew everything better.

’Did he say it out loud at least once?’ Enzo’s left eyebrow sticks on the middle of his forehead when one of his long fingers touches his sister’s chin. Although, he forces her to look directly into his curious eyes full of stars, his movement is gently and less aggressive than a soft breeze on a hot, sunny day on the dawn of summer.

Claire takes a deep breath before she answers.

’No, he didn't but I don't want to hear it, anyway.’ She says and clenches her lips before she continues. There are multiple stupid reasons behind her silence and she knows that for sure that’s the same thing with Taehyung, too. She’s not a moron. She noticed months ago those heavy burdens that he carries just as his thick wall around his soul that keeps her at a safe distance from the damage. How could she force her feelings on someone who is afraid of his owns? ’I'm scared that I will lose him after we say something so meaningful like this.’ Claire takes a look at the demon above her brother’s shoulder. Greed’s fiery eyes burn her skin all over her body. Her blood bowls and absconds within a skipped heartbeat. Yet, she’s not the one who turns away first. ’I will confess to him after the war is over.’

’It's better if he didn't play with your heart otherwise I'm going to kill him.’ Enzo’s sincere voice brings the girl back to reality and makes the older one laugh. Loudly.

’Hah! I don't need your protection. I'm a big girl now, you know that, right?’ She asks and turns her head to the right while she tries to read in her brother’s overprotective eyes. She doesn’t doubt that his baby brother would save her from even the lightest winds but it’s her job the protect the younger. Maybe, she isn’t that strong but she is smart and apt and this combo helped her out in her whole life. Her heart is just fine in Taehyung's hands and if she’s wrong, then fine, she’s willing to pay the debt for her beautiful mistake.

’I've known this in my entire life, sis. Come here!’ Enzo instinctively spreads his hands for a hug and Claire gladly nestles herself into his familiar embrace. The scent of his light hair is just like dust and iron with a little sweat and it makes the girl dizzy. ’I love you so much. I want you to be happy, okay? Don't be mad at me just because I...’

Just because I worry about you. Just because I’m afraid of the unseen outcomes of the tomorrows ahead us. Just because I’m a bit overprotective. He doesn’t have to say a single word out loud. She feels the same. She worries about him and fears the unpredictable future just like her brother and even more because of that one particular, blonde man in the other half of the room.

’I know. And I'm grateful for that.’ She fondles the young soldier’s bare neck and pulls him closer. They are so close that her warm breath tickles Ezno’s ear gently just like when they were kiddos and shared their hidden secrets in the middle of the night. This sweet memory of theirs makes both Claire and her brother smile.

Enzo’s fellow’s stiff cough breaks the precious moment into pieces and Claire automatically winces at the hoarse sound. She lifts her gaze up wearily and draws apart from the one and only family member she has left.

’It’s time, Galland!’

Enzo turns his sister’s head towards his own and smiles. His dirty thumb draws a clumsy circle under her eyes with love as her face lays onto his palm.

’You should go back, before someone notice that you're here.’ He warns her softly although, he doesn’t want to let her go, either. When he and his friend noticed the strange ambulance car at first, they almost opened fire on the white vehicle with those characteristic red crosses on both sides. It was a silly, reckless idea from the girl and her so-called boyfriend to come to the base and they were lucky – at least the soldier cannot stop thinking that way – that they were on duty.

There are lots of things that flow in her mind right now for example that childish excuse that always drove her mother crazy. But mom! We’re just getting started!

’Just one last hug.’ She begs in her tiny voice and twitches a little on purpose that makes the younger laugh. He missed his sister so much, he didn’t even realize it until he took a look at her delicate features an hour ago.

’One last.’ Enzo nods and spreads his arms for a warm hug once again. ’You have to wait for the next until the war is over. Don't come here, okay? It's not safe.’ He whispers and his hot breath burns Claire’s ear despite the powerless words. It sounds like a goodbye for good and she doesn’t like its hopeless tinkle. It’s too permanent.

’But...’

Her brother’s rigid gaze chokes her words and his even harsher order outplaces her weak protest. He is right. This place isn’t safe. Not for her. Not for him.

’Just promise me!’ He craves for her promise just like a child would do and it makes the young girl’s heart ache. Claire takes a deep breath and holds back her tears before she lifts her head up. Her chest is heavy due to the unsaid objections that remove every drop of oxygen from her lungs.

’I promise. But you have to promise me that you will be careful.’ The blonde girl raises her trembling hand for a pinkie promise with a shy smile on her beautiful face.

’As always.’ Enzo replies then lifts his sister’s pale hand to his mouth. His warm lips leave a painful kiss on her bare skin and it feels like a brand on an ordinary cow although it’s full of care. That’s why she doesn’t take her palm out of the cage of his fingers in spite of the sarcastic inner voice in her head that warns her to hide. If she could lock herself into one of those wooden wardrobes she would be able to stay.

’Well, that's why I am so worried all the time.’ She jokes around when she stands up. They walk back to the other half of the room side by side. The brown bag keeps hitting the girl’s thigh while she slows her movements to prolong the time they have left.

Enzo crashes his shoulder into Claire’s playfully to loosen up the older then helps her with her bag.

He stops right in front of Taehyung.

’Take care of her otherwise...’ He starts but Claire’s soft touch chokes his threat before it could blossom into a million deadly petals. The demon straightens his back and pushes off from the wall with a light motion full of dignity.

’I will protect her.’ He says with a serious tone that flutters the blonde girl’s already weak heart. Her smiley eyes loiters over the demon’s sincere features and suddenly she feels at peace. Maybe it’s because Taehyung is always next to her or she’s just crazy because something about him tells her that he is just as powerful as an angel. Anyway, be an angel or the devil himself, she knows one thing for sure; she isn’t afraid of anything until he stands by her side.

’Good.’ Enzo replies and he looks directly into the demon’s eyes while he offers his right hand for a shake. This unsaid deal freezes the atmosphere for an ephemeral moment and for some reason makes the human less hateful than the others. Claire’s brother is almost okay with his ridiculous, macho-like personality.

The way back to the capital city is quiet as if Claire’s overheated emotions had absorbed all of her energy after the last goodbye with her baby brother. She falls asleep right after they leave the base and her head keeps bouncing due to the road filled with pits until the demon lays it down on his shoulder gently. Her soft snuffle is the only sound during the two hours long trip.

As the driver stops the car in front of a neutral building, Taehyung takes a deep breath and fondles Claire’s delicate skin on her cheek full of light freckles. Her long eyelashes start to flutter because of his careful touch.

’Thank you.’ She whispers in her hoarse, sleepy voice with her eyes closed. The lazy half-smile that spreads all over Greed’s features is so genuine it surprises the human driver looking at the rearview mirror. After the Sin released her daughter three months ago, he thought he would never see the blonde demon ever again. So his smile shocks him in the same way his sudden appearance shocked him yesterday morning. ’I thought I would never see him again but you proved me that magic is indeed exist. And I'm really thankful for that.’

Claire raises her head up to man and kisses him so passionately it tugs Taehyung’s stomach in a good way like nothing before. This new, unfamiliar feeling scares the hell out of the demon yet his trembling palm cannot stop playing with her messy hair while his eager lips cling to hers.

’I've gotta go. See you later.’ She coos and a happy laughter escapes when she seals their kiss with a cute peck. Her already blushed cheeks become even redder when she draws herself apart from her handsome man.

She gets out of the car quickly and waves as a goodbye before she definitely turns her back on him. There is nothing special in the way she walks – her blonde hair keeps bouncing just like every second girl’s in the town – but for some reason Taehyung can’t tear his gaze apart from her. That’s why the ambulance car stays still until Claire disappears behind the first corner. 

 



Her shift has never felt this long before in spite of the fact that her fellow waitress actually arrives fifteen whole minutes earlier than she is supposed to come. She is literally over the moon while she takes off her black apron and she still cannot stop smiling when she reaches the dark building made by brick a street away from the Rouge. Although it’s ruined and dirty, this house is just perfectly halfway between the bar and the flat Taehyung staying at, that’s why they choose it as their meeting point despite the rare street lighting and the German soldiers’ sudden appearances.

She leans her back against the wall with ease and crosses her legs while she waits.

’I mean it! He is a total freak.’ A hoarse voice says and Claire winces when she notices the drunken soldier and his not-so-tipsy friend walking down the street. Her heart skips an unnecessary beat as she fits closer to the painted bricks. The colour begins to peel off from the cold material under her rounded nails.

’Are you crazy? If someone hears it, you're dead.’ The sober one scolds the other and helps him walk in an almost straight line. Claire sighs and closes her eyes when they fall onto their knees only a few metres away from her hiding place.

The drunken one’s noisy laughter is so insane, the crazy sound forces the girl’s whole damn body to tremble. She wouldn’t even be surprised if both soldiers heard her heart’s silly beating.

’But he thinks that the box has magic!’ The soldier shouts out loud and shakes off his fellow’s helpful hand on his shoulder angrily. His fiery eyes could burn down an entire village and Claire doesn’t doubt that he would easily do something cruel like that just for fun. ’Isn't it insane? We have to take a look at it every single hour! It's so exhausting.’ He rattles and sits down in the middle of the road with his head turning towards the cloudy sky.

’Look at the bright side.’ The sober soldier shakes his head and lets out a bitter sigh. ’You get your money for guarding a stupid box. It's not even dangerous.’ Unlike his job that is way too deadly for a man who is over his fifties. He is the commander of the pyrotechnics team since the Germans invaded France and he’s already lost one of his fingers due to an instabile bomb. He would give everything for a job as easy as his fellow’s.

Claire leans her forehead against the cold wall and takes a deep breath to chase away her fearful thoughts. It cannot be more than five minutes and Taehyung will be by her side. The faint memory of his warm embrace is enough to calm her pounding heart down.

’Pandora's box! Hah! Ridiculous!’ Time freezes for an eternal moment and all of the air escapes from her lungs when the soldier reckless words reach her ears. Her eyes are wide open because of her honest shock and she has to rub her ears multiple times to believe it. Is it really true? Does she hear well? Does this drunken man talk about Pandora’s damn box? ’I'm a well-trained soldier for God's sake!’ He swears.

Claire sneaks closer. Her messy hair falls over her curious face.

’Lower your voice, you idiot!’ The older soldier grabs his friend’s strong arm and pulls him up with a definite movement while his gaze looks around in the neighbourhood. There are two girls, a slow granny and three men on the street beside Claire yet the German's sight stucks in the girl for a little infinity. His suspicious features forces the blonde waitress to turn her back on them.

’You should see that vault. It's in the Notre Dame.’ The old man jerks his friend to shut up but he keeps talking all the same. ’Why would anyone broke into a ruined church in the first place, anyway?’

It starts with an unwary idea then turns into an actual plan when the reckless pieces blossom in her heart. It feels so obvious and right, her legs cannot stop running despite the sweet, warning voice in her mind that begs her to turn back. If she waited two more minutes, Taehyung would appear with that characteristic half smile on her angelic face that always becomes brighter when their gazes meet. He would kiss her and they would spend the whole night together like he promised.

Two minutes.

And she reaches the ruined cathedral by the river. It is as wonderful as she remembered despite the missing bricks and broken windows. The vivid rays of the setting sun exposes the rosace – the most magical part of the building – while the intact tower paints the whole park all dark and dread in front of the huge entrance. Beautiful yet terrific with merciless, German soldiers inside.

’Okay! Just take a deep breath! You can do this!’ She cheers herself quietly before she actually makes her first step towards the enormous church. She is fast - at least faster than usual – so it doesn’t take a minute, she already leans against the cold door.

She counts to ten then twenty. She’s at twenty-six when she gathers enough courage to take a look at the inside. There are only two guards sitting on the front benches and one of them seems to sleep, Claire supposes. His head lies on the bottom of his own rifle stirlessly.

She sits on her heels then puts her hands to the floor carefully. She even forgets to breath while she scrambles in the narrow aisle between the wooden benches. Every time she moves her arms, millions of dustmotes frisk in the air that tickles her nose so badly she has to stop and pitch both of her nostrils shut before she moves on.

Her shaking fingers almost touch the old inner door when one of the soldiers stands up all of a sudden. She bumps her forehead into the frame due to the unseen situation and hiss at the pain impulsively.

’Did you hear something?’ The standing man asks and hits her partner’s shoulder to wake him up. Claire gets under a ruined bench by the time and her trembling hand covers as she tries to keep the silence. Her chest is rising like crazy and a salty drop of sweat runs down on her temple while she huddles herself up as tiny as she can.

’Nothing, why?’ The sleepy guard murmurs as his thin response then lays his heavy head back down on his rifle. ’It's just a rat like always.’ He waves negligently.

Claire waits until the more suspicious one finishes his walk around the building and sits back to his place before she opens up the door in front of her.

The vault is on the top of the spiral stairs in the intact tower and it’s smaller than she expected in the first place. It seems like the whole room’s been cleaned up just because of the little chest that is indeed magical as it stands still in the middle of the colourful rays of light.

’Woah! It's beautiful!’ She whispers and her words are way too faint for human ear. She walks towards the golden chest with her eyes wide open and she cannot breath while she tries to decipher the unfamiliar words of the heavenly warning.

When her soft fingertips fondles the shining box, electricity runs along her spine and this strange feeling melts her veins and bowls her blood without pain. Her smile widens when her arms embrace the relic but the happiness disappears from her features when a loud sound makes her ears hurt. The noisy bip, bip, bip scares her to death and the fact that she’s literally in a trap cannot help her either.

’No!’ She mumbles in panic while she desperately seeks for a quick solution, a hideaway maybe. For something that could save her life. For someone who could calm her down with a single everything will be okay. For him, him, him.