R for a reckless plan

All for nothing


R for a reckless plan

1941-01-28
France

The myth of Pandora’s box is one of those rare things that is even older than Kim Taehyung himself who was born in the ancient Silla as the future king’s younger brother in 633. Thanks to the giant royal library and his always curious best friend, he had the chance to get to know everything about the world and he embraced his opportunities all the time. He was eleven when he first heard about the golden chest and its unlimited power and it enchanted him right away. As he grew up, he became smarter (and more handsome) but he always had an itching palm. Therefore, he couldn’t avoid the cruel destiny of second sons. His death wasn’t noble at all.

As the smudge descends, a smaller mass of people looms at the entrance of the cave. Their dark uniforms with the characteristic carmine band and the black swastika on the left sleeve are dirty due to the explosion except for one person. He stands one step further from the relic but his eyes are full of stars just like the leader’s who leaves his loyal soldiers behind.

Greed’s already large smile widens and his unbeating heart gives a phantom leap as he takes a step forward.

’Finally.’ He whispers while his invisible shoulder crashes into an unimportant soldier’s body. His motions are slow and frigid like someone’s who doesn’t want to wake up from his most beautiful dream ever and maybe that’s exactly how he feels. He’s been waiting for this moment for centuries and now everything is way too perfect to be true.

The golden chest stands at the top of the stone in the middle of the cavity. Due to the explosion a dim ray of light illuminates the tiny motes around and the small letters on the edge of the box, too.

’Great job!’ The leader of the excavation says and his freaky mustache frizzles up as he lets his satisfying smile grown bigger. His hoarse and boastful voice makes Greed’s ears hurt and forces him to stop for a passing moment. ’I want this thing to be in my vault by dawn!’

Greed rolls his eyes at the leader’s bossy actions and the way he leaves the cavity. Despite his much-vaunted obsession he doesn’t even touch the relic. On the other hand, the Sin’s long fingers fit close to the box right away.

The whole thing happens within a blink of an eye. At the exact moment when Greed’s bare skin touches the object, his body starts to tremble and he loses his balance. He falls onto his knees and his not-so-invisible arm pushes the relic off of the stone. His back nestles to the rock while he tries to calm his shaking body down.

’What the ?!’ One of the German soldiers shouts at the same time Greed points his finger to the mystical chest with the same swear. The fact that Pandora’s box takes his power away so easily takes him by surprise.

He doesn’t even bother with turning himself invisible again, just crawls next to the box carefully like a child; with pure fear in his sparkling eyes. The small letters of the heavenly warning shine thanks to the dim light.

 

„When a harmless soul tastes sin for the first time
the box’s going to close with all the crimes inside.
Greed, Envy and Wrath are not going to shuttle -
bringing destruction through the chaos of battle.
The temptation of Lust disappears once for all
and the mirror will not play with you like a doll.
In a blink of an eye, Gluttony turns to dust
and you gonna be free from Sloth’s chains and influx.”

 

’Damn it!’ He swears loudly due to the realization of this new, tight difficulty. In a world where noone could trust the person standing next to him because even your best friend would stab you in the back is difficult to find someone so pure and sinless.

It’s all screwed up!

As the Sin lifts his head up, his eyes meet with the crowd stand around him and the relic. Dozens of guns aim at him – some of them shake, some of them barely move, but every single finger is on the trigger and ready to shoot.

Greed takes a deep breath before he raises his hands. The faint smile in the corner of his mouth is pure cruelness and the shadows under his eyes scare the out of the German soldiers. The first line takes a step back, pushes the others backward as well.

Here it goes! Being visible isn’t that bad.

He doesn’t even have to touch them or close his eyes (or concentrate). The repressed greed that consumes the German soldiers’ souls opens up the tiny, little door inside their minds like a soft breeze would do. The demon’s deep voice appears in their conscience and his temptation is oh so strong they cannot resist to it.

’That golden ring would be beautiful on your lover’s finger.’ He whispers while he tilts his head to right. Even though, those rings and golden coins hasn’t meant anything to him for a long time he has to admit that the treasure inside the cavity is indeed worth of admiration. Back then, when he was nothing but a frail human being, he would have done anything to own all of these and even more. ’Hmm, your family didn’t see you for a while. Take that as a payment for your hard work.’ He says without words. He stands up and noone gives a about it. There isn’t a single gun that aims at him anymore. ’It looks like someone made that bracelet especially for you, doesn’t it?’ He murmurs under his nose when the last soldier looks the other way, too. He is the strongest yet he isn’t stronger than a pitiful bug. ’It surely worths a fortune.’

When he collects enough power to teleport he takes one last look at the box then disappears like something that never existed before. Only a small cloud of smoke indicates that he stood there, found Pandora’s box and lost it at the same time.

The pub is just as usual – crowded and full of that specific, rusty scent that drives the outsiders crazy. It’s been almost a month since Greed drank up a quick shot just for fun at the Rouge and somehow the familiar atmosphere casts a spell over his rage. He is almost at ease when he raises up his left hand during his loud order.

’Give me something strong!’ He says and he leans against the wooden counter with a loose posture. His cold blonde hair is so messy his locks fall into his face and the total effect becomes even more shaggy when his long fingers sweep through his hair once again.

’Right away, just a sec.’ One of the waitresses says from behind.

It doesn’t take a minute, a glass of transparent liquid lands on the bar with a faint knock. The sight of the traditional Russian alcohol reminds him of his home - the transparent liquid shines like soju -, although the latter didn’t exist when he was human.

He drinks it up within a blink of an eye. His supernatural performance widens the waitress’ eyes and forces her to hiss.

Taehyung lifts his head up and looks directly in the familiar blue eyes.

’You?’ He asks in disbelief.

The girl’s mouth twitches a little due to the hoarse tone of the Sin’s voice. It doesn’t sound like he is happy to see her.

’This one is on me.’ She says when the silence becomes so frustrating it almost hurts. She has never belonged to those girls who were waiting for their knights in shining armours to enter the pub but for some reason she did felt happiness when she heard his deep voice. His pitiful sight doesn’t change anything. ’Last time, I didn’t have the chance to thank for what you did for me.’ She confesses with a shy smile.

Her face that is red like cherry blossoms bothers Greed like hell. It reminds him of his failures.

’Come on, girl! Don’t fool yourself. It wasn’t for you.’ He mocks wickedly and he cannot decide what he desires more. It’s strange, but both seeing her salty tears and hearing her sassy response would be satisfying for him as well.

’It’s just the same.’ She replies in a tone as cold as ice. If she ever considered those tears, they must have froze in the middle of her answer. ’You don’t have to pay for this.’

She turns her back on him as quick as a storm comes to existence in summer hence he loses his chance to speak up and start a pointless argument.

’Just take it.’ He tries to convince her with his special power but that unbreakable wall stands still and draws his energy. ’Turn around and take it!’ He commands even harder; a drop of sweat runs down on his cheek followed by another.

But she doesn’t obey.

As Greed gets his second shot and relaxes his fisted hands, a dark shadow appears in his field of vision and sits beside him as quiet as a predator looks for his prey.

’You look miserable.’ The man says with a cheeky smile on his angelic face. His eyes are full of stars while he bites back his lower lip with a deep hum and a hungry look focused on the young waitresses.

’It’s good to see you, too.’ Greed replies with a bit of creepy sarcasm in his voice. Lust is the only Sin he doesn’t hate since his tiresome predecessor vanished for good after almost two centuries of manipulation and compulsive . He had that sick habit of killing his boring lovers during action.

’Hah!’ The current Lust laughs at the lame joke while he raises his right hand above his coal black hair. Thanks to his manly voice, it doesn’t take a minute, one of the waitresses, a ginger-haired, already stands in front of him waiting for his order. So typical! ’Give me the same!’ He murmurs under his nose lustfully that makes the redhead even redder. Her heart skips a beat than catches up the speed in a twice as fast rhythm. She is only a word apart from a fatal heart-attack. ’Sweetheart.’

And there it is. Greed rolls his eyes when the girl touches Lust shoulder with a shy smile. Oh so typical!

’What are you doing here? I thought, you’re the new antisocial.’ Taehyung asks out of the blue. To be honest, he doesn’t care about his mate’s purposes and goals at all, he’s just frustrated due to his failures and needs someone who distracts his depressive thoughts.

Lust’s left eyebrow sticks in the middle of his forehead while he turns towards his drinking buddy. Being sarcastic, hah! Well, two can play this game and unlike Greed, Lust actually knows why the other one’s in Paris.

’I’m here for fun. What about you? I thought you never commit yourself to a single city.’ He says while he leans back on his chair with his arms crossed. He usually doesn’t give a about his lower demons’ rumours especially since one of them claimed that he met a real angel with white wings and sparkling glory. But when his most loyal demon told him Greed looks for Pandora’s box he couldn’t calm down his curiosity. A myth! What even? In an era when everyone thinks that ’this night will be my last’, it isn’t hard at all to gather enough power to teleport from one continent to another. Actually, it’s easier than stealing from a baby.

’It’s okay here.’ Greed answers out of boredom while the train of his thoughts reaches a higher speed level. He kinda considers the opportunity of stealing a newborn child. After all, if he could look after the baby and shelter her from all the sins of the world then she could activate the box and capture the Sins instead of - and apart from - him. He groans contentedly because to be honest, it’s not his worst plan ever.

’And I'm an idiot.’ Lust purses his mouth and tilts his head to left suspiciously.

’Well, I cannot argue with this.’

The red waitress puts down two glass of vodka on the top of the wooden bar before she winks at Lust and slides a piece of paper to him. Her letters are so clear even Greed can read them despite the distance.

’Thank you, sweetheart.’ Lust answers gently before he pockets the note and slices a glass to Greed whose gaze settles on one particular, blonde waitress. Lust leans against his ears. His lustful voice dresses Greed’s skin into goose bumps in a creepy way that forces the older to hiss. ’So, who is she?’

’Damn it, man!’ He pushes away the high level demon with an ugly grimace on his face. ’I don’t know.’

Lust’s honest laugh fills the air.

’Do you like her?’ He asks agaze because it’s much more interesting than a so-called box that once released all the sins of the world because of a girl with a strange name.

Greed’s reaction is priceless. The way his almond shaped eyes open wide and his long fingers nestle around the shining glass makes the Sin smile. He saw this kind of look more than enough times to notice that faint hunger in Taehyung’s gaze.

’Actually, I think I hate her.’ Greed replies after a short pause. If there is something he is sure about then this has to be it: he doesn’t love anything beside ultimate power. The sign of his weakness cannot be one of his secret desires.

’Then, why don’t you just…’

He drinks up his vodka within a passing moment and looks directly into his mate’s dark eyes. His aggressive answer outplaces the end of Lust’s question.

’Because I can’t!’ And the fact that he really can’t break down her walls drives him insane. It reminds him all of the things he couldn’t take away from his older brother. Because of their age difference he got the throne, the treasure, the respect, the girl. Every bloody thing.

’Damn! You must really like her.’ Lust opens his mouth at dismay. In spite of the fact he is the Sin of raw desire, he’s never been in love, not even when he was a human being. It always takes him by surprise when a demon – the creature of rottenness itself – falls in love. After all, if someone is able to love what a horror he has to do to become one of the most powerful demons on the Earth.

’I said I can’t manipulate her. It doesn’t mean I don’t want to.’ Greed confesses with a faint hiss. ’To be honest, I would like to make her sin like hell.’

Lust dark eyebrows abut like two perfectly matching puzzle pieces while the waves of surging sea appear on his forehead due to his incomprehension.

’Then go for it. Greed isn’t the only sin in the world.’ He says and even though his statement hurts Greed’s pride, he cannot help himself but listen. He even turns towards his drinking buddy with his whole body. ’Be creative. After all, love is another name for the devil. And believe me, there is no easier thing than ually seduce an innocent soul.’

Greed rolls his eyes with a resentful moan and focuses his gaze on the blonde girl in the corner. She talks with one of the female customers and laughs at a lame joke about a carton of milk in the desert. It’s so pathetic it hurts.

’If you say so.’ He says loosely but after another shot the idea actually takes a root in his mind. What if she is the one? What if he doesn’t have to steal a baby at all? What if just a single sin separates him from his biggest desire? ’Okay, fine!’ He says with a wide smile.

As his empty glass’ bottom touches the wooden bar, Greed stands up and elbows his way through the mass of drunken people to reach his blonde victim.

’Have fun!’ Lust shouts loudly after him out of habit and focus his gaze on the strange couple. The way she silences Greed with a harmless ’please, wait a minute’ makes him laugh so hard it almost hurts. ’Excuse me!’ He says gently when a waitress puts down her empty tray on the bar. Her delicate features would wake up the predator inside the devil himself. It looks like Lust found his next victim, too. ’Can you show me where the VIP rooms are? I promise, you won’t regret it.’