seventeen hours

seventeen hours

Fan mail was one of the best parts of being in seventeen. Especially for Soonyoung.

"Guys! Look what I found in the mail!" he called out, on his hands a box that was already opened and ruffled from the journey overseas. he entered the room filled with the members and set the box down.

Some of them were interested while others kept opening their fan mail, body rooted to wherever they were sitting.

"What is it?" Seungkwan asked, peaking from behind Soonyoung's shoulder.

Soonyoung grinned mischievously.

"Faster. I wanna see," Jun urged.

Surrounding Soonyoung was Seungkwan, Jun, Mingyu, Seokmin, Chan and Hansol, their eyes eager to find out what was inside the box.

Soonyoung slowly opened the box, resulting in a few impatient clicks of tongues and foot stomping.

"Hurry up," Mingyu said, "hyung," he added after the look Soonyoung gave him.

Soonyoung rolled his eyes and opened the box only to reveal -

"Handcuffs?" Seokmin exclaimed.

Soonyoung smirked at that.

"Wow." Jun whistled in amazement. "Your fans are very ."

Chan furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. "Wait. Why would they send you handcuffs?"

"Oh, Chan," Soonyoung laughed. "You're so innocent."

The crowd dispersed and they returned to the fan mails, only Mingyu stayed to look at the letter attached with the gift.

"What's all the fuss about?" Wonwoo asked, approaching them both.

"Someone sent Soonyoung handcuffs," Mingyu responded, eyes not leaving the letter.

Wonwoo laughed after looking inside the box.

"Hyung, says here that the sender likes me more than you," Mingyu said to Wonwoo in a teasing manner.

Wonwoo frowned. "What a liar. Let me see that." His hand shot out and took the letter.

"It says, 'my bias is you, hoshi, but I'm not sure who I like after that. I'm having a hard time picking from Wonwoo and Mingyu'." Wonwoo read aloud. "Where does it say that they like you better than me?"

"I mean, it's kinda obvious who they should pick. I'm the better one," Mingyu said cockily.

Wonwoo rolled his eyes. "That's not what these fan mails' been saying."

"I'm more handsome," Mingyu challenged.

"Well, I'm funnier."

"Is that a joke you were making?" Mingyu laughed. "Then maybe you are funnier."

Wonwoo was about to retort when the two felt something heavy on their wrists.

first hour.

"You guys are so noisy," Soonyoung chided, "you didn't even notice me cuffing you both together."

"What the hell. Open it now," Wonwoo demanded, raising his hand, pulling Mingyu's hand with him.

Soonyoung laughed. "Okay. Okay. Let me just find the key." He reached inside the box and felt around for the metal key.

Wonwoo and Mingyu both waited as he fumbled around the box. They soon began to worry as minutes passed and his expression turned to a frown.

"Where is it?" Mingyu asked, eyebrows furrowed.

Soonyoung laughed sheepishly. "I don't know but, I can't seem to find it?"

"God damn it," Wonwoo cursed.

"What does it look like?" Mingyu asked. "We'll find it."

Soonyoung laughed again. "I don't know what it looks like?"

"What do you mean?" Mingyu asked, tired of Soonyoung's games.

"I mean I never saw it so I don't particularly know what it looks like," Soonyoung babbled on.

"You never saw it?" Wonwoo asked in disbelief. "You didn't see a key before handcuffing us together?"

"I mean I just assumed there would be a key but now I can't find it."

Wonwoo groaned. "Find it. I don't want to be stuck with this idiot for anytime longer."

Mingyu scoffed. "What's that supposed to mean? Honestly, hyung, you give yourself way too much credit. I bet you're like secretly in love with me or something."

"That's absolute nonsense."

"Shut up and let's go look for the key," Soonyoung demanded and took the box with him as he went out the room.

Wonwoo and Mingyu followed him as he traced his spots from earlier today.

second hour.

"Ugh, it's been an hour and we haven't even found the key."

"Stop talking and keep looking," Wonwoo demanded.

"Thank god we have today off, right?" Soonyoung said.

"What if we don't find it today?"

"Stop thinking so much and keep on looking," Wonwoo scolded.

"Jeez, you're so pushy, hyung"

"I give up." Wonwoo threw his hands up in frustration. "I will just accept my fate that it being stuck with the most infuriating —"

"Hey," Mingyu snapped.

"Whatever. I'm just gonna read a book." He walked out of the room, pulling mingyu along with him.

"But I wanted to watch a movie," Mingyu whined from behind him, hurrying to catch up with the elder.

"You can go watch your movie and I'll read my book."

They both sat on mingyu's bed, backs against the headboard. Mingyu had his laptop on his lap, a movie playing while Wonwoo hands held a book, Mingyu's hand moving with his as he turned page after page.

third hour.

"Should we go to the police station? Maybe they'd have some keys that match the ones to the handcuff," Seungcheol suggested.

"And this is why you're my favourite hyung," Wonwoo declared.

Minutes later, Seungcheol, Mingyu and Wonwoo were at the police station. Fortunately, they have already worn clothes fit for going out, leaving out any awkward situations that they could be put through.

The police tried every single key there was for the handcuffs but none of them matched.

The three went back to their dorm, Mingyu's and Wonwoo's wrists still bound together.

fourth hour.

On their way to the dorm, Mingyu suggested they go to a café since he felt like drinking caffeine. Seungcheol apologised, saying he needs to go back, already having promised to help Jihoon with some lyric writing.

Then Wonwoo and Mingyu went to Mingyu's favourite café. Their arms pressed against each other to hide the fact that they were handcuffed together.

Thank god, people looked in awe in seeing an idol in real life instead of noticing the details like how there was barely a millimetre between the two boys.

They sat down on an empty table, tired from all the walking. Their seats were close to each other, hands brushing against each other.

fifth hour.

"I'm hungry," Mingyu said, swinging their hands together as they walked to the dorm.

"Me too," Wonwoo admitted. "Should we buy take out?"

"It's fine. I'll cook something for us," Mingyu dismissed.

Soon, the pair reached the dorm and Mingyu started to prepare lunch.

"Hyung, pass me the sugar."

Wonwoo reached for the sugar, pulling Mingyu with him and as he turned to pass the sugar, Mingyu was not ready for it at all.

Wonwoo looked up. Their faces merely centimetres away. Their bodies pressed against each other, the container of sugar in between them. He held his breath and tightened his grip on the container.

"Uh," Mingyu whispered.

A light blush covered Wonwoo's cheeks and he immediately pulled away, hand reached out to hand the container to Mingyu.

"Here. Take it."

A pregnant silence filled the air as they continued. It was awkward and tense and Wonwoo wished he hadn't have done that.

Mingyu put the tray inside the oven and bend down to look at it. Wonwoo, being cuffed to Mingyu, did the same. As Mingyu was rising up, he bumped his head into Wonwoo's. A sharp sound could be heard.

He winced. "Ouch."

Wonwoo rubbed his head. "That hurt."

"Why'd you do that?" Mingyu asked.

"I didn't know you would come up so fast," Wonwoo argued.

Mingyu pouted, rubbing his head.

While waiting for the meat to cook in the oven, he continued to prepare the noodle. Cooking portions for thirteen people was Mingyu's speciality and he wanted to do his best to feed the members.

sixth hour.

"Hoshi hyung, help me with this," Mingyu called out to the only person sitting down near the kitchen.

"Okay," he called back, rushing towards them.

He helped Mingyu carry the big bowl of jajangmyeon to the dining table. Once everything was prepped and on the table, Mingyu called the members to eat.

"I love you, hyung," Chan declared, taking a seat next to Jeonghan.

Soon, all thirteen members were sat around the dining table. Although the table wasn't that small, it looked overcrowded with all of them sitting together.

"Thank you for the meal!"

Mingyu was of course right beside Wonwoo. He looked towards the elder and grinned. "Thank god i'm left handed."

It didn't take long for all the plates - including the side dishes - to be spotless. All the members took part in cleaning the bowls and cutlery.

After that, Wonwoo and Mingyu went towards Mingyu's room that he shared with three other members. Wonwoo continued to read while Mingyu continued where he left off the movie.

seventh hour.

The two hour movie finished and Mingyu closed his laptop. He looked towards his right where Wonwoo has fallen asleep, book discarded on the bed.

He smiled fondly at that. Wonwoo must have been exhausted. He put the laptop and book aside, taking Wonwoo's glasses off of his face and putting it on the bedside table. Mingyu then pulled up the blankets to cover them both.

eighth hour.

In the midst of sleeping, Mingyu wrapped his arm around Wonwoo's waist. Wonwoo — who would have punched Mingyu if he was conscious — snuggled into the younger's body for warmth.

ninth hour.

"Should we wake them up?" Jisoo whispered.

"No. Let them sleep."

"They look so cute," Jeonghan said, sounding like a proud mother.

Minghao took out his phone and took a picture. "For blackmail," he replied when Jisoo gave him a questioned look.

"Make sure to send that to me," Soonyoung said, grinning.

tenth hour.

Wonwoo woke up to hands restraining him. He slowly opened his eyes.

"Mingyu," he groaned. "I need to go to toilet."

Mingyu groaned back and turned to the other side, pulling Wonwoo's hand with him.

"Wake up," Wonwoo whined. "I need to take a piss."

"Fine. Fine." Mingyu stepped out of the bed and Wonwoo crawled after him.

The two walked into the bathroom together.

Wonwoo locked the door.

"Don't look."

Mingyu snorted but compiled anyways.

The next couple of seconds were awkward.

"Thank you," Wonwoo murmured, red colouring his cheeks up to his ears, once they were out.

"You're welcome," Mingyu replied.

It was only then when they noticed some of the members staring at them.

"What?" Wonwoo asked.

"I needed to pee," he snapped when their looks turned suggestive.

"Okay," Soonyoung sang in a teasing manner.

"This is your fault." Wonwoo pointed an accusing finger at him.

"Hey, kids. Get ready. We're eating out tonight," Seungcheol called out loudly.

A couple of 'yes!' could be heard among the boys.

Whilst the other members went to their rooms to change or get ready, Wonwoo and Mingyu stood still, making no effort since they couldn't even change. Taking a bath was also out of the question. How were they going to shower later?

Soon enough, thirteen of them were walking towards their favourite restaurant.

Along the way, they intertwined their handcuffed hands together.

Wonwoo would say it was unconsciously done even though he very well knows how intentional it was.

eleventh hour.

"Thank you for the meal!"

It felt like just minutes ago they just ate lunch and now they were eating dinner.

The boys ignored the looks others in the restaurant gave them, probably in shock at how many boys were occupying the table that was actually a couple tables stuck together.

"Wonwoo and Mingyu hyung, are you still handcuffed together?" Hansol asked.

Wonwoo paused his eating and gave the younger a nod then resumed.

One thing they failed to mention was how both their hands were still intertwined together, hidden underneath the table.

twelfth hour.

Every plate was once again spotless and they were now talking to each other like a family, which they were.

"How did you two get handcuffed together?" Jun asked.

Soonyoung laughed, making Wonwoo and Mingyu both glare at him. "That would be my doing."

"Nice job."

Now, their glares turned to Jun.

"This is great. I hope you never find the key," Jihoon said, laughing.

"Don't jinx it," Mingyu cried out.

"I think we've spent enough time here. Let's go home."

They left the restaurant and walked home.

"Hyung," Seokmin said to Seungcheol, "Did your wallet deflate after treating us?" he asked, laughing at his own joke.

"Nope. Everything was paid by the company."

"How unusual of them."

Mingyu and wonwoo followed the other members from the very back, hands apart by now.

"For the record," Wonwoo spoke quietly, "today wasn't as bad as I thought it would be." He swung their hands together to and fro.

"Yeah, it wasn't."

thirteenth hour.

On the way home, Chan had a sudden craving towards ice cream. The hyungs, having a soft spot for Chan, went to the nearest convenience store.

They walked out with ice cream in each of their hands.

They continued to walk home, this time walking slower to enjoy the comfort of being together.

fourteenth hour.

Once they have reached their dorm, they separated into doing whatever they wanted to do.

This time, Mingyu needed to use the toilet and so they both went to the bathroom. They had their hands stretched out the whole time and they both washed their hands after.

They both sat down on the couch, scrolling through their phones, looking at comments and fanarts and other things from their carats.

Just like that, another hour passed.

fifteenth hour.

"Okay, I got another one."

"What do prisoners use to call each other?" Wonwoo asked, resisting the urge to burst out laughing as he imagined Mingyu's reaction after telling him the answer.

"I don't know. What is it?"

"Cell phones."

Wonwoo laughed like he never laughed in his entire life before. Mingyu face palmed but the smile on his face explained otherwise.

The two were now sitting on mingyu's bed, crosslegged and facing each other.

"I've got one," Mingyu said.

"Tell me."

"Did you hear about the italian chef with a terminal sickness?"

"He pastaway," Wonwoo deadpanned. "I know this one."

Mingyu pouted. "How? Not fair."

Wonwoo laughed at that.

"What do you call an academically successful slice of bread?"

Mingyu leaned back and looked up, eyebrows furrowed.

"I don't know," he said after a minute.

"An honor roll."

Mingyu felt the need to punch Wonwoo in the face. He shook his head.

"Hyung, your jokes are terrible."

Wonwoo was still laughing.

And Mingyu could not stop staring.

sixteenth hour.

"How do we take a bath?" Wonwoo asked Mingyu.

"I don't know. We can't even take our clothes off."

"How about we just change our pants?" Wonwoo suggested.

"Okay. These jeans are irritating me."

They took turns changing their pants, not looking at the other as the other changed. Though, to be honest, Wonwoo had a little peak that left him red all over his face. Mingyu secretly thought it was adorable.

After they were done, they went out to see most of the members chilling out on the sofa, watching the television. Wonwoo and Mingyu decide to join them and watch whatever was showing

"I'm going to sleep," Jeonghan said, rising from the chair.

It was not surprising that he was one of the earliest to go to bed.

Mingyu was immersed in the movie but just as he looked towards his right, Wonwoo was asleep on his shoulder. he smiled.

seventeenth hour.

"Wonwoo," he called out softly. "If you want to sleep, we should go to bed."

"We?" Wonwoo murmured, still half-asleep.

"How else are we ever going to sleep with this handcuff?"

"Good night, guys," mingyu said, dragging Wonwoo with him.

"Night," the members chorused.

"Mingyu," Soonyoung called out. "You're sleeping?"

"Yeah."

"With wonwoo?"

"Yeah - don't look at me like that."

Wonwoo was only half conscious to Soonyoung's luck.

"What about the handcuffs?" he asked.

"What can we do? I don't really mind sleeping with him - literally - anyway."

Soonyoung smirked. "You sure?"

"Yeah." Mingyu told him to inch closer towards him.

"I think," he whispered, looking at wonwoo to make sure he couldn't hear him. "I think I like him."

"Oh?" Soonyoung looked surprised.

Mingyu fidgeted with his fingers, pulling Wonwoo's hand with him. "I'm only telling you 'cause I trust you."

Soonyoung grinned. "Well, in that case." he took Mingyu's hand and opened the cuff.

All along it was just fake handcuffs that looked as if they needed keys. They never needed any key. It was just a tight cuff that clicked together and needed to be separated using a little force.

"What?" Mingyu exclaimed loudly. loud enough for Wonwoo to become conscious from his half-sleep.

"What? What happened?"

Wonwoo looked down to their hands, now unbound. He took a double take.

"What?!"

"How long did you know?" Mingyu asked, rubbing his wrists.

Wonwoo clicked them open and gave it to Soonyoung who took them.

"For a while now. It was in the letter, in small writing at the back. I checked again."

"Why didn't you tell us?" Wonwoo asked, narrowing his eyes.

"You guys were getting along so well so I thought why not." Soonyoung shrugged.

"Never mind it." Mingyu sighed, ruffling his hair.

"Okay, well, good night guys."

Soonyoung left the two alone in a pregnant silence.

Wonwoo laughed, breaking the silence, though it sounded a little weak, as if it was forced. "I was looking forward to sleeping in your bed with you," he said, making it sound like a joke.

"You still can if you want," Mingyu replied simply.

Wonwoo's eyebrows shot up in surprise. "You don't mind?"

"Not at all."

The pair took baths - separately - and went to bed, squeezing into Mingyu's queen size bunk bed. It was comfortable, though. Maybe even more comfortable than Wonwoo's own bed. Or maybe that was just because Mingyu was with him. He didn't know but, he has got a feeling that it has something to do with Mingyu.

Seventeen hours and handcuffs were all it took for Wonwoo and Mingyu to fall in love.