never have i ever

On A Cloud

There's a difference between causation and correlation as Chaeyoung's eleventh grade biology teacher once demonstrated ever so gracefully with a study that showed some sort of relationship between a high number of ice cream sales during the summer as well as an increase in violent crime. 

“Violent crime isn't caused by ice cream sales nor is violent crime a segue to enjoying a fudgesicle,” he had explained, evoking laughter from the few teens still conscious midway through his lecture, “rather, it is a correlation. Neither one causes the other but both are connected through the fact that heat motivates both anger that leads to violence and the hunger that makes one desire ice-cream.”

To many, it seemed that the difference was obvious and didn't require such a straightforward explanation. Even Chaeyoung back then had tilted her head in wonder of why he felt the need to highlight it in the middle of his ramble. But now, as she squints her eyes from the blaring sun, one hand leveled with her forehead to shade her face, watching Jungkook framed between the spaces of her fingers, she wonders if there's a correlation between his teeth-bearing smile and how her heart feels uneasy (was that the right word? She couldn't think of anything more appropriate) every time she sees it. 

He's changed noticeably. From the seemingly endless cycle of life-endangering escapades, possibly. But also in the way he doesn't seem to get upset over the little things anymore, like over the loud guard dog two blocks from Chaeyoung's house that always takes him by surprise as it makes futile attempts to headbutt it's way through the fence whenever Jungkook passes by or the one linguistics teacher that often smacked her gum loudly in the midst of her lessons. It's a shocking revelation because one - this is Jeon Jungkook, the kid who once duct taped a boy's mouth shut in sixth grade because he kept stuttering in between sentences, and two - it's astounding how he can keep his calm when they're practically getting baked by the sun over their heads. 

“Any word from your parents?” she asks, pretending not to be utterly bothered by the sun's glare. 

“Yeah. They're hiding away in another city for a while.”

“For how long?”

“As long as it takes to figure out how to pay their debt.”

Chaeyoung's expression is awfully pained, even more so, Jungkook guesses, than when she had slipped out of the hospital bed for the first time. He can't help but feel guilty for dragging her into these familial affairs, loading her head with anxieties that really don't and shouldn't concern her. But it's far from late now. The sharks know who she is and it's his goddamned fault for letting his grief override the logical part of his mind that should have locked Chaeyoung in a closet before pursuing Nugget on his own. 

“Is there really no other way?” 

“Not one where we make it out alive,” he says with an unsettlingly nonchalant shrug, because this morbid way of living has become such a norm to him that he's become accustomed to assuming and accepting the worst. 

She heaves an exasperated sigh. “Is there any way the authorities can help? Like if we report them to the police or have them your parents or—”

“These are gangs we're talking about, Chaeng. They're scattered all around the country. When one goes down, they huddle up to kick the out of the person who put their buddy there. The only way to get out of this is to pay them back.”

“You say that like it's so easy. Have you forgotten that both your parents are miles away from their jobs, barely have the qualifications to find other work and you just trashed their van and burned their money. They're not just going to want you to pay back your own debt, they'll kill you anyway for what they lost.”

“Then let them.”

“What?” Chaeyoung's throat runs dry in a millisecond as Jungkook finally tilts his head up to look at her with oddly calm eyes.

“If they want us, let them have us. You shouldn't be involved in this. This is a family problem and a really dangerous one at that.” Though it does cross his mind that she could practically be categorized as family given how much more she knows more about him than either of his parents ever could.

“I'm not just going to be okay with the possibility of them slitting your throat in the middle of the night if they found you.”

“But if you're there, it's not just going to be my throat. It'll be yours, your mom's and probably your dog's too. They're ing animals. And by that I mean, they probably animals too.”

They both stifle a chuckle. At least that aspect of him hasn't changed. There's a comfortably long pause that follows, both exhaling into the humid air. There's an atmosphere of familiarity and nostalgia floating through the air and slackening the tension in their jaws from just the stress of planning ahead. It's always been something Chaeyoung knew Jungkook never liked to do. While she was eagerly flipping through university guide books and scanning her portfolios for imperfections, Jungkook simply emitted an exaggerated yawn and complained about how she was panicking for nothing because universities have really lowered their standards these days. When she had barked at him to shut up and perhaps start thinking about his own future, he just rolled himself back into her bedsheets and nuzzled into Snickles' fluffy behind.

“What I said still stands you know...” she finally utters after a moment.

“I know.” The promise that left her lips as they left the convenience store is still very much alive and vivid in his mind.

“I know you don't value yourself as much as you should but you do deserve to be happy and safe. I'll follow you to hell and back if it means you'll finally get that.”

“You don't have to—”

“I know I don't. But I will. You can't stop that, you never could. We've already made it this far together. Why stop now? ”

To some degree, he knew she was right, but the prospect didn't frighten him any less. He couldn't fathom why she would go to such lengths for him considering it's always been her putting out, giving him what he wants, taking the hits for him. When has he ever returned the favour or done something remotely deserving of this? He believes there exists some instinct within her that's developed since their childhood, watching how vulnerable and foul-tempered he had been, constantly wanting to step in and shield him from those who mistook his frustrations for rebellion because only she knew. 

She's only babysitting me like she always does. It isn't news to him or a shocking revelation yet the very statement running through his head sparks something akin to disappointment in the pit of his stomach. It never bothered him before, so why now? What's different? Many things, he guesses. The fact that he and Chaeyoung were no longer naÏve children, they faced much bigger problems now than running away from distraught teachers and hiding the evidences of his juvenile pranks. The fact that they barely escaped death more than once. The now very apparent fact that Chaeyoung has changed in so many unexpected (yet not unpleasant) ways. He's still only partially wrapped his head around how bold she's gotten, no longer shrinking from his risky proposals or becoming annoyed at his childish quips. Come to think of it, he can't remember the last time he's seen her face darken with that signature cherry blush. 

He refuses to admit it to himself, but that last fact sends a pang of discomfort through him. She's always been easily embarrassed around him, whenever he'd yell too loud and attracted public attention or simply point out that he doesn't think her shoes match her outfit (even if it did, he would never pass up an opportunity to see the oh-so powerful effect such a trivial thing had on her.) Is she just no longer surprised by him?

As subtle as he can, he avoids her gaze when he realizes she's noticed his scowl and she doesn't bother asking what's up because through this heat wave, she'd be put in a bad mood too. 

 

 

 

 

 

To Jimin's complete and utter surprise, Jungkook and Chaeyoung show up at his dorm as he's about to dig into lunch. He invites them in and makes an awkward attempt to offer them food even though he didn't have much because a) he's the epitome of a broke university student despite his best efforts to save up and b) he definitely didn't expect these two to show up out of the blue after nearly giving him a heart attack after their van crash situation and then never coming back to update him on what had happened. Part of him is relieved to know they're safe whilst the other feels a little betrayed that the thought of him worrying about them to death probably hadn't even crossed their minds.

That is, until they sit down with him at the dining table and Chaeyoung relieves some of his concerns - though, in the process, creating newer, more daunting ones. Jimin's always known about Jungkook's family's financial problems but not to this extent. Not to the point of thinking it could possibly cost him his life, let alone Chaeyoung's. They ask him if they can seek some refuge, use this place as a temporary safe house and he's more than happy to oblige. 

“I'll try to find a job and help pay the rent,” Chaeyoung offers.

“No, no, I couldn't let you do that,” Jimin shakes his head, “it's fine, I swear. Taehyung and I have busy schedules and are rarely at home so you two would just be making better use of our rent, y'know?”

As if they were in the movie 'Beetlejuice', Taehyung appears at the mention of his name, leaning against the kitchen's door frame. “You talking about me again, Park Jimin?” he asks with a smirk. It looks like he's just gotten out of the shower, the tips of his bangs dripping water onto the white tiles, much to Jimin's annoyance. “Jungkookie! You're back!” he exclaims, ruffling the boy's hair with a chuckle. 

“Yeah. It's good to see you, Tae,” he laughs.

“I see Chaeyoung made it out alive, huh?”

“Yeah,” Jungkook nearly chokes on his feigned laughter, the subject still a bit sensitive to cross, and Taehyung probably realizes this as well, quickly diverting his attention to Chaeyoung.

“Chae-ba-bae!” She tries not to cringe at his old nickname for her. He'd use it all the time when calling her over and introducing her to people. Her face would always light up like a Christmas tree whenever he'd shout it down the hall at school before her up in his arms despite being small and lanky, struggling to keep his arms from wobbling as if trying to prove his strength. “How are you doing? No broken bones I hope?”

“A few bruises left here and there but overall, no biggie,” she assures.

“Great!” Taehyung turns on the balls of his feet, swiftly kicking the fridge open (again, earning a suppressed frown from Jimin because for 's sake how many times have I told you not to put your feet on the goddamn fridge?) and grabbing a Blue Moon beer from the top shelf. “You're gonna need an in tact ribcage if you wanna dance at the party.”

“Party?” Jungkook and Chaeyoung eye Jimin for an answer, somehow finding it early on in the sudden dread that washes over his features as he remembers what Taehyung is implying. 

“C'mon dude, they just got here. You're not about to get two minors drunk.“

“Oh shut up,” Taehyung rolls his eyes, “as if kids this age haven't gotten totally wasted a million times. They have like half a liver left by the time they're adults.” Taehyung knows for a fact that both of them have drank before - Jungkook on many occassions though he can only remember Chaeyoung on one, when he had taken her to a party and mixed some vodka into her peach iced tea because she couldn't take it straight without gagging at the bitterness. The calamity that ensued afterwards, when both of them had completely descended into the abyss of lost inhibitions, was something that still haunted him. He can still vividly remember her hurling an entire dvd player at his head and him narrowly avoiding it by about two centimetres before it shattered into the wall behind him because she was so angry at him for a million unspoken reasons that could only come out when she was too hammered to care.

Jimin knows he can't talk Taehyung into not having the party. It had been a promise - Taehyung gets to have one wild night in exchange for his complete silence throughout exam season for Jimin to study without hearing obnoxious laughter and deafening music coming from the other side of the wall. He defeatedly looks to his two friends. “You guys don't have to join if you don't want to.”

“I don't mind,” Chaeyoung shrugs, and it's especially unexpected coming from her. All three boys exchange mildly shocked looks. They all know her to very different extents but if one thing is for sure, she absolutely abhorred loud, chaotic environments. 

“Really?” Jimin quirks an eyebrow.

“Yeah, it sounds fun. I haven't gone out in a while since the hospital so... why not?”

Before anyone can intervene, Taehyung turns around now with four bottles of beer and places them on the table with a devilish smile. “You see? Everyone's in. Cheers to Chaeyoung's unfractured ribcage,” he toasts with his beer to the sky.

 

 

 

 

 

It's known that Taehyung is the epitome of a social butterfly - extraverted in every sense of the word - and it's now more apparent in the way their dorm becomes more crowded by the minute as people continually show up at their door and shimmy their way through the sea of unfamiliar faces to find their friends. Everyone is already edging beyond tipsy by nine and Jungkook finds himself standing by Taehyung for a good chunk of the night as he constantly refills his drink and introduces him to his classmates, bar mates, gym mates, lunch mates and... mate?

“Long time no see, Jeon.” Jisoo, now much taller than he remembers, shoulders her way between him and Taehyung with that familiar grin that used to always rub him the wrong way when she had about Chaeyoung back in the day. He never would have guessed in a million years that these two would end up together. Well, that's not quite accurate - he would definitely have expected these two absolute weirdos to find interest in each other had they both gone to the same high school. Otherwise, he would never make the connection.  

“So... you and Taehyung, huh?”

“Yeah.”

“Since when?”

“About six months ago,” Taehyung answers.

The way they look at each other, Jungkook can't tell if they're in love or just very drunk and looking dreamily at just about anything like almost everyone else in the room. Some people are already passed out cold on the couch and others, he hopes to god are not driving anywhere tonight.

“And you?” Jisoo questions, not surprised to see Jungkook's confused expression. “Make any progress with ChaengBang yet?”

His face tints a faint pink even though he totally should have seen that coming.

Taehyung emits a throaty chuckle, wrapping an arm around the petite girl. Jungkook is half grateful that Taehyung's face is about ten times redder than his own because of the alcohol. “C'mon babe, stop messing with the poor guy. Not everyone gets love on the first try.”

 

 

 

 

Just about everyone who knows Chaeyoung have been surprised at how quick her demeanor changed the moment she got a few drinks down. The quiet, self kept bookworm is suddenly acquainted with about a quarter of Taehyung's friends, chatting away (about nonsense because after a few shots, every topic in the world becomes extremely interesting) and dancing far too close for comfort. If she's being honest, this is the most fun she's had since... ever. Not counting the several trips to Disney World - nothing could beat that but this comes close. It's liberating to finally not constantly be holding onto studied material and anxieties about tomorrow and the what if's and how would's. Simply thinking of nothing but the thumping music, cushioned between strangers who's names she's already forgotten.

She bends down to pick up her cocktail, only to have her hand swiped and body turned around to face a very distraught Jungkook. “Are you okay?” he mutters.

“Yeah, why wouldn't I be?”

“You've been acting totally weird since you left the hospital. Like did you hit your head on something when we crashed?”

“What the hell are you talking about?” She tugs her arm from Jungkook's grasp. “What's wrong with having a good time?”

“Nothing, it's just... you don't usually do this.”

“So? Aren't you the one who's always telling me to let loose a little and try different things?” He is guilty of that, and he doesn't quite know why seeing her like this makes his heart race with such uneasiness.

Before he can make some stubborn retort, her arms have slipped around his neck with the rest of her weight (which concerningly isn't much) falling against his body. If it weren't for the dark strands of hair pressed against his face like a forest, the way his face completely burns a deep red could be seen (and he definitely didn't need Jisoo witnessing it). “Ch-Chaeng?” 

“A correlation,“ she slurs, barely audible into his ear.

“What?”

“There is a correlation between... you... this feeling in my heart...” 

“Chae, what are you—”

“No... no, that isn't right,” she utters as her hold around his neck tightens, “it's a causation! You caused this. You did this.”

“What did I do?” He looks down at her with genuine concern. She's over the point of tipsy, sure, but she's definitely still sober enough to think and communicate coherently so he knows it isn't just total nonsense behind her words. She's trying to convey something, and from the distressed look that twists her features, it's something that bothers her deeply. She doesn't make this face often - it isn't the mild worry of knowing that Snickles is sick or when she knows Jungkook is about to get in trouble again. It's the look he's witnessed on only a handful of occassions, like when she found out she couldn't take her entrance exams. “Chae, please, tell me—”

“Chaeyoung!” One of the girls who had previously been dancing with her (grinding on, rather) approaches them with little to no acknowledgement of Jungkook's presence (probably too far gone to notice much). “I found the dog cafés you were talking about. They're so cute! Come look!” 

And like that, Chaeyoung seems to just whir to life again, eyes darting towards the other girl with renewed interest. 

 

 

 

 

 

By one in the morning, some fresh air finally returns to the room when the majority of the people there finally clear out of the dorm. Most of them didn't have to worry about driving or taking the bus anywhere because they happened to live in the building as well. Whether or not they can make it to the right floor in the elevator is another question.

Taehyung opens a window and lets the cool summer breeze sweep through the place, clearing out some of the pungent beer smell. Somehow, even with the numerous drinks he had gulped down that night, there's still an incredible amount of enthusiasm and fight left in him. He turns to his friends sitting around the dining table, reminiscing about fond old memories with a wicked smile that warned 'I'm not done with you guys until everyone is experiencing a hangover that feels like they just got hit by a garbage truck tomorrow morning'Grabbing a fresh bottle of vodka from the freezer, he staggers over to the gang. “I want to play a game,” he talks in a deep drawl, imitating the villain from SAW.

“Oh boy,” Jimin sighs, but makes no attempt to refute him.

“Never. Have. I. Ever.” He shakes the bottle with boyish excitement.

“Wait, how do you play?” Chaeyoung asks. She's not familiar with drinking games, or even common slumber party games to be frank.

“Rules are simple. We go around and each person takes a turn at saying "Never have I ever..." and then saying something they've never done. Whoever has done it must take a shot. No liars, I can sense bull,” Taehyung explains. 

“Alright, so who goes—” Jisoo starts to ask, but Taehyung intervenes.

“Wait, there's one more rule that I'm adding.”

There's an air of slight anxiousness the moment Taehyung speaks because everyone is far too familiar with his weird twists on conventional things.

“As you know, I love you all to pieces. Some more than others,” he smiles coyly at Jisoo, earning the same reflected back from her, “but nonetheless, I care about you all so I'm not letting anyone die of alcohol poisoning. This vodka is slightly weaker than most so the limit is six shots. Maybe four for our Jiminnie because I don't know if his height can keep up.”

The others chuckle as Jimin shrugs with a roll of his eyes. 

“The first two people who get to six shots have to sleep together.” Taehyung yelps when Jisoo smacks him in the arm with a disgusted frown. “In the same bed, I mean. You share a bed. My bed, since I proposed it.”

“Doesn't sound too bad,” Jungkook comments.

“Oh, it might be,” Jimin says, “I don't think you understand how goddamn small these dorm beds are. They're like half a kid's bunk bed minus like seven inches. The heat cut off in Tae's room once and he tried to hop into my bed. He crushed the life out of me until I finally just lay there and awaited death.”

The room errupts with hysteric laughter, though Taehyung can't help but nod and grin at the memory. “Now that it's settled, I'll start.” He looks up in wonder for a moment, inhaling deeply. “Never have I ever... travelled outside of the country.”

It's to everyone's surprise that the Kim Taehyung's first statement is incredibly innocent given his history of twisted games, but everyone keeps their guard up, knowing some wildly intruging things are to come. Jisoo and Chaeyoung take a shot. Chaeyoung, obviously having been born outside the country and visiting every other year, and Jisoo only on an excursion to France for a class.

Jimin goes next. “Never have I ever... stolen money from my parents.”

The latter four all take a shot. It's not surprising for Jungkook or Taehyung. Jisoo doesn't steal directly but has managed to memorize her father's credit card information to make discreet transactions. Four eyes turn to Chaeyoung, watching her pinch her nose and squint her eyes from the burning sensation of the shot before coming back to reality. As it turns out, she had taken a few bills from her mother to sneak her dog some extra snacks. 

Jungkook's turn. “Never have I ever...” He ponders for a while. There are far too few things he hasn't done - from sky diving to running from loan sharks, his life has been hectic. 

“Are you going to say something or are we going to wait until Chaeyoung gets married first?” Jisoo teases as Taehyung and Jimin bite back their grins. The joke (fortunately) doesn't quite register with Chaeyoung as she tilts her head questioningly. 

Ignoring the burning in his face, he continues, “Never have I ever kissed a guy.”

Taehyung and Jimin freeze up whilst Jisoo and Chaeyoung unwaveringly take their shots. Jungkook looks at the guys with eyebrows raised and a smirk tugging at his lips because he knows the reason behind those taken aback, widened eyes. The girls follow Jungkook's gaze, realizing what his stare implicates, and their jaws drop. 

“Okay, it wasn't like that. We got really wasted and I hit on a girl and had her wait for me in my room. She went to the wrong room and for some reason Jimin was sleeping in my bed. I was a ing so I went in and didn't turn on the lights and just...”

“Oh my god!” Jisoo screams, “wait, so you mean... you guys... with each other?”

Jungkook's grin grows by the second. Revenge really is cold and sweet. He watches contently as Jimin and Taehyung quarrel and stutter for a minute, each shifting the blame on each other as Jisoo and Chaeyoung laugh their asses off until they finally reach an impasse, deciding to just continue the game.

Chaeyoung proceeds. “Never have I ever... had a one night stand.”

For a third time that night, all jaws drop. Believing the pure, untainted Park Chaeyoung couldn't get any more frisky than grinding on strangers, no one had expected these thoughts in her head. Though somewhere deep down Jungkook knows that isn't true. She's never been entirely the church-goer with perfect teeth and a clean record that everyone grew up believing she was, especially not with his influence.

Jisoo, Taehyung and Jimin - the inseparable '95 trio, clink their shot glasses together and unanimously take a gulp. This university really isn't just renowned for top notch education, it's also rampant with ual deviance and chaos. 

“Say, Chaeyoung,” Taehyung begins, still blinking away the tears in his eyes from the stinging, “did you apply to this school?”

Jisoo gasps, initially not noticing the way Chaeyoung's face falls slightly at the colour beginning to drain from it. “That's right! You're graduating this year, right? You should totally come here. You always told me how unsure you are about your career path and we have this amazing undeclared program that exposes you to everything.”

“That's actually a great idea,” Jimin agrees with an enthusiastic nod, “the three of us could look out for you as a first year. We've already made ourselves at home here and knowing you, you'd love what the campus has to offer.”

Jungkook swallows nervously, not wanting to look at Chaeyoung right now but knowing he will anyway. She looks utterly paralyzed - sobered up a little, even - and it sends a tremor of guilt deep into his heart. She did apply here. It's her second top choice, in fact. And if he ed up the entrance exam, she'd never...

“Yeah, I did,” Chaeyoung answers after clearing , feigning a smile, and feeling even more dragged down when it's returned with overtly excited grins from her older friends. And I'm going to have to miss a year - it hangs on the tip of her tongue so she presses her lips together to trap it there.

Jungkook and Chaeyoung sit through another few minutes of the three rambling off about how good the school is, how happy they are here, and how she'd absolutely fit in without a hitch if she chooses to come. Jungkook sneaks a shot of vodka because he's far too sober to endure this whilst Chaeyoung nods and tries her best to keep that signature smile plastered on her face for as long as she can hold until they finally remember to finish the game.

A cycles around the table later and Taehyung's head is slumped on Jisoo's shoulder, still looking on with dreamy eyes and a content smile - like a child with all his needs satisfied but still wanting a touch more to reach complete euphoria. 

“Alright. Taetae has five, Jiminnie has three, Jungkook has four, Chaeyoung and I have five,” Jisoo tracks.

Taehyung moans tiredly into her shoulder. “Babe, get me caught up so we can share a bed.”

As much as the thought would usually delight her under other circumstances, her idea of a good night doesn't typically involve having a pungent-smelling Taehyung crushing her in an attempt to spoon in a tiny bed followed by a grumpy, regretful Taehyung in the morning, hungover as hell and groaning at her to make him soup. “Never have I ever...” she pauses, flashing a malevolent smile at Jungkook who subconsciously slides back a bit in anticipation, “kissed Park Chaeyoung.”

And like that, Jungkook's heart sinks to the pit of his stomach.

Jimin and Taehyung exchange a look, appearing more exhausted and giggly than embarrassed at this point as they picked up their glasses and toasted once before drinking. 

Jisoo covers in surprise when Jungkook doesn't move at all. She had been so certain that, having known each other so long, they would have at least once. If Taehyung and Jimin could stumble into that situation by accident, it didn't seem far off to believe perhaps Jungkook and Chae had shared a friendly, experimental peck here and there. As much as she likes to tease Jungkook, she isn't necessarily cruel. The dulled out expression Jungkook wears makes the weight of the immediate regret of what she had just said heavier.

Just as she prepares to make an attempt to lift the mood, Chaeyoung suddenly takes a huge gulp out of her glass, puzzling everyone.

“Chaeng, are you just drinking for the sake of drinking now?” Taehyung teases, “you did hear what she said right?”

“Yeah,” she replies nonchalantly, as if the answer is obvious. When Jisoo leans closer with knitted brows, clearly provoking an explanation, she sighs and confesses, “when I accidentally cut myself, I kiss the boo-boo.”

“That is the cutest I've ever heard in my life,” Taehyung says through an amused grin.

“It better be, because you and Chaeyoung are sharing a bed tonight,” Jisoo replies, patting his lap. There really isn't an ounce of jealousy in her eyes because knowing the size of that bed and the humidity of tonight, there isn't much room to get too scandalous. Additionally, Taehyung has never really spoken fondly of his past relationship with Chaeyoung, and knowing the two of them, Jisoo could understand why. Of course all hell would come loose when Cinderella is matched with Flynn Rider. Still, she could see the spark of discomfort in Jungkook's eyes at the realization, and she hates that she can pretty much feel that dread through him.

It's going to be a long night.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“It's dangerous to stand that close to the edge.” Jisoo's voice startles Jungkook from his clustered thoughts as she steps onto the balcony, a warm glass of milk in hand. He shakes his head when she tries to offer it to him, insisting it greatly helps combat the upcoming hangover. He isn't that drunk anyway (not as drunk as he'd like to be). “Sorry about what happened.”

“What?”

“About kissing Chaeyoung. I really thought you two would have already... you know...”

“It's fine. Doesn't bother me.” His sulky tone greatly contradicted his words.

“Really? Then why are you brooding out here harder than Jon Snow after leaving Winterfell?” She knows he wouldn't get her reference nor would he really care. In fact, he doesn't bother respond to her question. “Look, I'm not an ... or I try not to be. You and Chaeng are like my little siblings and I care about you two.”

“Thanks,” he utters sarcastically.

“I've really always had this strong feeling that something would happen with you two. It wasn't just me.”

“What do you mean?”

“Jimin and Taehyung thought the same. Even when Taehyung was dating her, he felt like she took priority to you. And Jimin always talks about how awkward it feels sometimes when he's with you guys and it isn't the same as it used to be because you and her seem to be more intertwined and he feels out of the loop.”

A pleasant gust of wind brushes past their faces, and Jungkook wonders if he could just jump off this balcony and gets carried away somewhere far and peaceful. Somewhere that isn't here, where his thoughts are clumped and cloudy and awfully agitating.

“We've just always wondered,” Jisoo continues, “has there ever been anything between you two?”

There's been too much between them, quite frankly. So much confusion, fear, and anger that somehow always culminated in just basking in the presence of each other and being content with just that. Just them. 

Jisoo relents with a yawn when Jungkook goes mute on her for a minute, turning to walk back inside and take her place beside Jimin on the couch. “Holler if you need anything. Or get attacked by a crow.” Yet just as she steps one foot inside, she thinks she hears him mutter something under his breath. 

“I hope there is.”

She turns to find his back still turned, and head still hung low over the ledge. She really is too exhausted to keep interrogating him, and decides for now she would just pass it off as some incoherent whisper of the wind.