fun and games

On A Cloud

Jungkook has a tendency to become completely immersed in whatever video game he's playing, but never quite to the point of giving up basic necessities. For example, he once bought a mini fridge to put in his room just so he never had to get up for too long to get food. He would leave the door unlocked for the pizza guy (or girl, if he was lucky) to drop off his dinner on the floor next to him before he blindly fumbled with his wallet to pull out whatever amount of money - he could never peel his eyes away from the screen so he just sort of guessed and passed off overpaying as a tip for your GREAT service! The trainwreck of a human being he becomes when he games is precisely why he's sworn many times to give up the nasty habit. 

Until now. He's found a new obsession - On Death's Edge. It's old but gold, and until this point, he's been settling for cheap mobile games to quell the need to keep his fingers busy and mind engaged. Jimin's been talking about getting him one of those fidget spinner things but Jungkook insists they're far too childish, to which Jimin rebutted, “what's your point? You are a child.”

“Are you ing kidding me, Jungkook?” Chaeyoung looks unamused when he prances into her apartment, unannounced with the new game, and switches her xbox on. 

“What?” he shrugs, “you never use it anyway.”

That's true. It was a gift from a cousin, but that's besides the point. “You can't just walk in here and start using my stuff.”

He waves her off, “you say that all the time yet here I am. Using your stuff and eating your food.”

“I thought you said you weren't going to game anymore.”

“And I will... after I blow the heads off these zombies.”

Chaeyoung heaves a defeated sigh, shaking her head as she watches Jungkook excitedly slip the disc into the slot and stare at the screen in anticipation. He looks like a child on Christmas day, except taller and much brattier, she thinks. “Whatever, but if I catch you peeing out of a tube, you're out of here, Jeon.”

“Yes ma'am!” He playfully salutes as she walks into another room.

 

The next nine hours - nine ing hours - is a mess of Jungkook screaming at the screen when he gets killed, laughing hysterically at every victory, and yelling for Chaeyoung to get him food, which she does the first three times. The fourth time, she dumped a cup of water over his head and told him she'd make him eat his own balls if he interrupted her studies again. 

“Kookie,” Chaeyoung's mother calls out to him, causing him to pause the game for a moment. He looks at her with eyes full of feigned innocence and a bright eyed smile that she couldn't help but smile back at. 

“Yes, Mrs.Park?” he blinks at her.

“It's midnight. Shouldn't you be getting home?”

Jungkook looks at his watch - 12:02 AM. He hadn't noticed the time go by nor the sun go down because he had gotten up to shut the curtains that were ruining his view of the game. He thinks for a minute. It's a school night, but nothing important is happening tomorrow other than a French test that he didn't study for, never would have studied for, and probably won't even think about if he got up and left now. Then, with his brightest smile that makes his eyes crinkle a bit, he lies, “my parents are out of town right now. It gets lonely at home. Is it alright if I stay over with Chaeyoung for tonight?”

He knows that Chaeyoung's mom likes him a hell of a lot more than Chaeyoung does, and the slight pout of his lips is enough to crumble her. “Oh, alright. Just don't stay up too late, it's bad for your health.” She gives him a wink and a pat on the back before walking into her room. 

He turns back to his game, lowering the volume a bit, then sets the game to Versus. It momentarily crosses his mind the amount of times Mrs.Park has implied that he and Chaeyoung should end up together. At first, he laughed at the thought, but it didn't come across as a repulsive idea at all. They've been best friends since kindergarten, when Chaeyoung would beat up the boys who tried to bully him for being really small and having crooked teeth. The ironic thing was that she was even smaller than he was, but she was aggressive while he was too shy to even ask to use the bathroom. The one thing they had in common, however, was that they both loved to sing. Though his style is more R&B while she was a choir girl, their voices harmonize surprisingly well, and Mrs.Park made no secret of it when she came to their middle school concert and blabbed about how they were the perfect pair.

It takes him a moment to realize that he's not actually paying attention to the game and that he's had his head blown off about a dozen times in the midst of his thoughts. He looks at the screen, already finding people ing about his absence: earth 2 kookie12 r u alive? is this guy afk? omg do something!!! who let the n00b into the squad?

He chuckles to himself, switching to a new room.

 

Chaeyoung is awake at 7AM sharp to get a headstart on showering and making breakfast because her mom's been nagging her about how she never eats in the morning. When she walks into the kitchen, she gets a clear view of Jungkook in the living room, asleep with his head resting on a beanbag chair and the screen still flashing with the game. It's the only light in the room, illuminating his sleeping face, and even from the kitchen, Chaeyoung could see the bags under his eyes from being awake all night.

She scoffs, “loser.” She makes herself some toast with cream cheese and a slab of jam on top. If Jungkook were awake right now, he'd complain about how weird the combination is and how she should just use plain cream cheese or just jam. She chuckles to herself as she imagines force feeding it to him in his sleep.

Should I wake him up or should I just leave him here? she contemplates with a sigh. Looking down at his face, the one that's been with her through her entire childhood and annoyed the hell out of her through their teen years, she can't imagine what life would have been like without him, as corny as it sounds. She always joked about how it would have been much less troublesome because she wouldn't have to save his all the time but being there for him has become second nature to her. 

She huffs an exasperated sigh, about to gently kick his face to wake him, when she notices the screen flash again.

goddamn it kookie where r u????

She raises an eyebrow, curiosity rising in her. She glances at Jungkook's face, still dead as hell asleep, then back at the screen, where his team is apparently dying and yelling profanities at their squad leader. Sliding the other beanbag chair over, she slumps down next to Jungkook and takes the controller into her hands. It doesn't take long for her to become accustomed to all the controls despite not watching the demo, and soon, she finds herself devising tactics as she led her (really his) team into battle, obtaining weapons that Jungkook had been trying to get for hours on end. She doesn't become aware of this until one of the members writes: good job kookie it took u forever to get that rifle.

“Forever, huh?” she laughs, because she had gotten it so easily. She assumes Jungkook couldn't get it simply due to his impatience therefore he didn't put much thought into planning and simply charged into it. 

Before she knows it, it's 9AM - about 30 minutes before they're expected to be in class, yet she takes no notice of it until a particularly loud explosion of a grenade going off startles Jungkook. He wakes with a loud gasp that causes Chaeyoung to jump in her seat and look over at him with wide eyes. 

“The hell, Chae?” he blinks at her, then his eyes flicker to the screen right as his team (now hers) almost reaches victory in the game. Her fingers continue to move over the controller, rapidly firing at zombies and the enemy team. His jaw drops at the amount of control she had over his character, dodging attacks, taking cover behind bushes, and making critical hits. “Holy crap, you're killing it, Chae.” A grin appears on his face as he shifts closer to watch her.

He smells like baby powder, which almost distracts her. Within minutes, she takes the win and the screen is flooded with messages of: nice going kookie! i didn't think u had it in u! u go afk for hours and come back a in beast!

Usually, he'd get just a bit jealous at how much better she is than him, but he can't help but be impressed as this is the one thing she never really took an interest in. He sort of hopes she'd get hooked too. He thinks they haven't been spending much time together, her now encompassed in her studies and him... just being him - now by himself. He takes the controller out of her hands and types a message: thanks that was actually my gf ;)

“Ow!” he yelps as she slaps his arm, a pink colour starting to creep up her cheeks. “Hey, I already at the game, I may as well have something going for me,” he defends.

“Gosh, you're such a weirdo,” she gets up, her anger only fading when she notices the time - 9:20AM. “, , ! We're late! See what you did?!”

He gets up as well, switching the game console off with a smirk. “I didn't force you to play the game.”

Ugh,” she groans, slinging her bag over her shoulder and angrily tossing Jungkook his. It hits his chest but he isn't hurt because he never has any books in it anyway. Despite her panic, she's still blushing furiously, and Jungkook finds it incredibly amusing how easy it is to fluster her. “Go brush your teeth. I'll wait two minutes but that's it.”

“Yeah, okay, mom.” He teases her by walking extra slowly to the bathroom, his hips swaying mockingly at her before she runs up to kick his , and he chuckles as he resumes a normal pace to the bathroom. She says she won't wait, but he knows she will. He doesn't bother teasing her, though, and brushes his teeth as fast as he can.

He's about to leave when he spots the plate of half-eaten toast with cream cheese and jam when he makes his way through the kitchen. He cringes, and remembers all the times he's made fun of Chaeyoung for liking such a weird combination. But this morning is different. He's curious, eyeing the plate with raised eyebrows. 

“Kookie, hurry up!” he hears her call out to him.

“Coming!” he shouts back, then looks at the plate one more time.

Chaeyoung is nearly about to strut into the kitchen to drag him out by the foot when he finally appears at the front door. Her eyes widen when she sees her slice of toast hanging from his mouth - like one of those anime school girls he's always talking about - and a grin on his face. Colour is returning to her cheeks as she looks at him, unblinking.  

“This actually isn't bad,” he mumbles with the toast in his mouth, and walks out the door before her.