Painter Byun

Painting Silence

 

Author's note: I have decided to rewrite the chapters as I feel my previous writing style did not suit the theme of this fic. 

The neighbourhood was in the outskirts of town with only the only residents being the elderly, with the younger generation having moved else where closer to the city for better job opportunities. Yet Baekhyun was the opposite, he escaped the bustling city life and turned to the sea side for refuge, his house was a rock throw from the sea shore, the faint sound of the waves crashing against the rocks helped to relax him, unlike the chaotic city which was like nails against a blackboard to him.

Baekhyun had became a rising star in the art industry, his pieces gaining attention from prestigious galleries around Seoul, however the fame came as a surprise to him, with the media putting the limelight on him, and being as handsome as he is, had its downfalls with fans stalking him and being constantly stopped on the streets, none of this was what he dream for.

 He had always wished for being able to use his talents to allow the average person to witness his perspective of the world, without any words to convey it, every brush showcased his life, all the highs as well as lows. His pieces were relatable and that’s what skyrocket his career, he always emphasized the most minute of details that are most of the time overlooked by other artist, it made his pieces come to life and stand out from the crowd.

Baekhyun always believed in the saying ‘actions speak louder than words’, hence he was never a man of many words. He constantly avoided social interactions to save the other party the hassle of having to constantly shout each syllable for it to be audible to him, since he never bothered learning sign language or lip reading due to having only partial hearing disability in both ears. Therefore, he concluded that, the less he spoke, the less he would be spoken to as well, quite brilliant Baekhyun thought.  

There were many painting styles that were associated with Baekhyun, there was his realistic pieces and his abstract pieces. Both showing off different sides of him, with realism showing his ability to see the not seen and abstract allowing him to express his deeper emotions, like how people would have heart to heart conversations with one another, however Baekhyun was no different except for the fact he had those conversations with the canvas instead, he’d play a song that best suited his current mood and let the vibrations of the sound flow through his slender fingers and translate the feelings to the blank canvas.

From time to time, Baekhyun would come out of his house to run some errands and take an hour long walk along the sea to unwind and get some light exercise as he likes to call it. Today was no different for him, as the wind tugged at the collar of Baekhyun's shirt, exposing a very prominent collar bone and milky white skin, he was hit in the face by a tote scarf and the next minute, he was hit by something that wasn't as light as that scarf, the sand had thankfully braced their fall, "I'm so so so sorry! I didn't realise how fast I was running until I couldn't stop in time." the man said while still on top of Baekhyun, and all Baekhyun heard was the sorry which he replied with "It's alright, mind getting off me though?"

The man looked down at Baekhyun, his eyes landing on the exposed collarbone for a second too long, before turning a shade of beet red and stumbling on his limbs on the way up off of Baekhyun. He held a hand out to Baekhyun and helped the cutesmaller up, "I'm Ch-Chanyeol and I'm sorry again." Chanyeol said, bowing 90 degrees with arms held tightly against his sides. "What? Can you speak louder? I can't hear you." Baekhyun gestured while spinning his hand at his ear, Chanyeol repeated twice more before he began shouting his name at Baekhyun, which prompted Baekhyun to reply with "Ah, Yeol, I'm Baekhyun and I actually have really bad hearing, so I can’t really hear you unless you speak close to my ear or shout." Chanyeol felt defeated when Baekhyun only got the 'Yeol' part of his name, but better than nothing he thought.

Just then, something clicked in Chanyeol's brain, the man in front of him was Baekhyun as in Byun Baekhyun, as in the painter that captivated the nation with his masterpieces. 'BYUN BAEKHYUN?" Chanyeol shouted, Baekhyun looked like a confused lost pup, "YOU'RE THE PAINTER AREN'T YOU?" and Baekhyun nodded in response. “I CAN’T BELIEVE IT’S YOU, IT’S A PLEASURE TO MEET YOU.” Chanyeol was in full fangirl mode, nothing could stop him now, except the cute sneeze from the painter’s button nose and Chanyeol instinctively wrapped his scarf around the cold pup, Baekhyun made a weak protest to reject the warm embrace of the scarf around his neck. Chanyeol let out a deep chuckle, "DO YOU WANT A CUP OF HOT CHOCOLATE? I FEEL REALLY BAD FOR SQUISHING YOU JUST NOW." Baekhyun had to pause and gave it a long thought, Yeol was a large-ear stranger who just almost made him into a byunpatty but he's also the only person around his age group he's seen so far in this town that was surprisingly wiling to shout. "Sure, I'd love some." he replied. Chanyeol's smiled stretched from ear to ear.