Dark Thoughts

The Search for Everything

Yeri’s Playlist for The Times I Wonder About Death

1-800-273-8255 -Logic ft Alessia Cara & Khalid

“I wonder what it feels like to just die.”

“Why are you thinking of such thoughts?”

“Don’t know. Just curious.”

“Yeri if you die, who would I go shopping with?”

“Good point.”

******************

“Where are we going this time?” Mark asked as he climbed into Jihoon’s Hummer. Tzuyu was sitting in the front seat and she gave him a little wave as she focused on her applying makeup.

“Dino dug up a brand-new club downtown. He said we should check it out.”

“Are we old enough to get in?”

“We are now.” Jihoon handed something over to Mark. “Yeri and I got this made for you and your friends this morning.

“Holy…” Mark stared at the ID before him. It looked exactly like his old ID that Yeri has asked for earlier, but instead of being born in 1999, he was born in 1995 instead. “How did you…”

“Don’t ask, it’s complicated.” Jihoon sighed, his hand reaching for Tzuyu’s and giving it a little squeeze. “No need to thank us. Yeri insisted on it.”

“Uhm…okay.” Club? Clubbing? Now that was something Mark never thought he would be interested in doing. His palms felt sweaty and he could somehow picture his father’s disappointed face staring back at him.

It was honestly amazing how they could get away with something like this. Yeri’s servants did not question the princess of the house when she drove off the family Mercedes in a short, sparkly silver dress and beige kitten heels. If any one of the girls in Mark’s old neighbourhood tried this, they would call up her parents immediately and unless she had a good reason she would be grounded until she turned 50.

Club Seventeen looked like a regular night club (or so Mark assumed because he had never been in one) with two big looking bouncers on each side. Jihoon drove up to the front, handed the keys over to the valet and helped Tzuyu, in her black sheer crop top and tight pastel skirt to alight huge vehicle. They flashed their ID’s and the bouncers just gave them a nod. Either the ID’s were too good or they looked like 20-something heirs on substance abuse and at that point, Mark couldn’t decide which was worse.

“We’re with Dino.” Jihoon told the waitress, who simply nodded and brought them in. Dino had arrived early, snapping photos of their exclusive booth, and even he was dressed to the nines. Mark could have mistaken him for someone older, but his boyish smile was what gave his age away.

“Jihoon! Looking fine as ever! Tzuyu, looking gorgeous! And Mark…” Dino scanned Mark up and down, taking in his striped shirt, jeans and black leather jacket. “Is that the best you can do?”

“Those are the only clothing that would fit him.” Jihoon shook his head. “He’s too tall for my clothes.”

“I think he looks handsome.” Yeri grinned playfully as she came from behind them. She draped her arm across Mark’s shoulder, her little black LV bag slung across her shoulder lazily as she leaned against him.

“You guys actually look cute together.” Chaeyoung gushed, stretching her leather-pants clad legs and adjusting her lace top. Joy was the only one in a red strapless dress with heels to match. She usually looked more demure and feminine, but maybe because it was club night she had on smokey makeup and deep red lipstick.

“Make way for me. King coming through.” Woojin pushed them aside like he was a superstar. His leather jacket glistened under the light and he had a pair of sunglasses on. “Don’t I look fabulous?”

“You are late.” Joy rolled her eyes, taking the glasses off his head. “Why would you even wear these inside, it’s so dark.”

“There are sacrifices we must make to look cool okay?”

“Enough with the chit chat.” Dino said. “Order your drinks guys. It’s time to start the party.”

******************

“You’re a good dancer Mark.”

“I am?” Mark had to scream back over the loud music. His body was just moving automatically to the beat as he, Yeri and Joy danced together. Renjun, Jeno, Dino and Chaeyoung were holding hands in a circle and dancing similarly to the hokey-pokey while everyone else were paired off. Jihoon and Tzuyu of course as well as Donghyuck and Woojin.

“Yeah, did you take lessons?”

“No, but I learn music, so maybe that’s where that came from.”

“Woojin and Donghyuck are dancing awfully close to each other.” Mark turned around to see what Joy was talking about. Woojin and Donghyuck were smiling at each other, each bragging to the other about being the ier dancer. Donghyuck was dressed in red leather pants and a black top, hips trying to either bump or brush against Woojin’s. Woojin seemed awfully enamoured by Donghyuck, and responded by pulling their hips closer together.

“Hyuck…”

“It’s fine. They were just dancing.”

“I…”

“ everybody run!!” Dino suddenly scrambled over from where he was and pushed them. “The cops are here on a raid!”

Suddenly, it was as if a bomb exploded. Everyone took off at lightning speed, running away from their booth and out the back door of the club. They ran towards the club’s parking lot and in a frantic mess, they tried to find their own cars. Jihoon’s Hummer was easy to spot and he, alongside Tzuyu, Mark, Jeno and Renjun were the first ones to leave the scene. Yeri’s car followed swiftly and then came Dino’s.

“What just happened?!” Mark panted.

“A police raid.” Jihoon sniffed. “They usually come looking for drugs or illegal workers. If they caught us we would be dead.”

“Oh god, I can’t believe we almost got arrested.” Renjun was breathing hard, one hand over his heart, adrenaline still very much pumping in his veins. “Oh thank god…”

“Can we do that again?”

“JENO!!”

“I like you.” Jihoon laughed, giving Jeno a little fist bump. Mark had scoffed at the idea, but even he couldn’t stop his own heart from pounding, still feeling the tingle of adrenaline at his fingertips.

******************

“How could you still be carrying that bottle of beer?” Mark asked Yeri in shock when they arrived home much earlier than the night before. Yeri was adjusting her dress and sipping from her bottle, like a baby drinking milk.

“I am not known to leave alcohol behind, even if the world just happened to set on fire.” She laughed. “Man, this night is a dud. Thanks to those cops we didn’t even get to the good part.”

“What’s the good part?”

“Usually we get so drunk we either slump out on the couch until someone gets us up, or we start making out with each other.” She giggled. “The latter happens more often.”

“Oh.” Mark didn’t know what to say except stand there and nod. He tried to imagine a drunk Yeri, kissing a stranger madly with her fingers in his or her hair. He shook his head off to try and erase that image.

“My beer isn’t finished though.” She said. “Come join me.”

“Where’s Donghyuck?”

“Woojin asked him to hang out with him a little longer.” Yeri said, pulling on Mark’s sleeve. “Relax, I asked him to bring him back before 2am.”

Yeri dragged him to the pool, where they both dipped their legs in the water, Yeri finishing her bottle and she kept nudging Mark to help her too. To be honest Mark was not a fan of alcohol so he only took a few sips to make her happy. If he started getting as drunk as Yeri they would be completely uncontrollable, and drunk kids by a pool is a safety hazard.

“Do you go clubbing a lot?”

“Sometimes.” Yeri shrugged. “I do it more when my dad is out of town.”

“What about your mum?”

“Don’t have one. Left me when I was 10 years old.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be. The witch cheated on my father.”

“Don’t say that about her. She is still your mother.”

“All she did was push me out of her womb. I didn’t ask to be born and I didn’t ask her for a mother. I hate it when people tell me that.” Yeri spat out. “Be nice to her, she is your mother. Is she really? Mothers are supposed to care for their young and always be there for them. Did you know that I learnt about periods through the housemaid? When I got my first period I was so scared I locked myself in my room for days because I thought I was dying.”

“So you don’t talk to her?”

“No.” Yeri shook her head. “And it’s better that way.”

“Okay.” Mark sighed. “I can understand. Not having a mother, that is. I don’t have one either.”

“You know what I don’t get,” Yeri slurred a little, wiping with the back of her hand. “I don’t understand why adults say ‘tell us what’s on your mind’ and then say ‘you don’t know enough to say something like that’. I don’t get it. Why would you ask our opinion if you think we aren’t mature enough to give you the answer you want to hear?”

“Well…”

“I don’t get why they say we have to decide who we want to be now. As if what we do in college will shape us until our dying days. What if I don’t know what I want to do? What if I just want to drift along in life? What if I don’t have a specific purpose yet? Will you abandon me if I don’t know my way yet? Are you afraid I will disappoint you?”

Mark gulped a little. Yeri was slurring even more, her head shaking erractically.

“Yeri, are you okay?”

“I want to know what it’s like to die.” Yeri said, pointing towards the pool. “If I hold my breath and jump, will I die?”

“Yeri, don’t…”

“I won’t do it of course.” She chuckled. “But maybe if you hold my hand, we can find out.”

“Yeri, that’s enough.” Mark pried the bottle out of her hands. She tried to get out of his grasp, but her fingers were weak in comparison with his and she let the bottle go, watching the bottle drop into the pool, and Mark heaving a huge sigh.

“You’re going to need to clean this.” Mark dropped down into the pool, waist deep, and dipped down to reach the bottle. He placed the bottle as far from her as possible while climbing back up and pulling her up to her feet.

“Let’s go back to your room.”

“Do you know how to swim?”

“Yes.”

“Let’s go for a swim!!”

“Yeri, no!” Mark pulled her back. “We are not swimming with you intoxicated like this.”

“We’ll be fine. You,” Yeri half fell into Mark’s arms, her hands wrapped around Mark’s neck. “You’ll be there to protect me.”

“Yeri…”

“You’re such a good guy Mark.” She mumbled, her face burying in the crook of his neck. “I trust you. You won’t abandon me.”

“Which is exactly why we are not swimming.”

“Come on Markie don’t be a party pooper…”

“No Yeri,” he tried dragging her but Yeri’s legs felt like body builder weights. She was practically slumping against him, and all of a sudden she pried him off and jumped into the pool.

“YERI!!!!”

“MARK!!!” she half screamed as the cold water hit her skin. She was waving her hands wildly in the water, trying to gasp for air even if the water wasn’t deep. Mark didn’t waste time in jumping in and swimming towards her, grabbing her waist and with every ounce of his energy, he threw her over his shoulder and carried her out of the water.

“You are insane!” He panted, carrying Yeri like she was a rag doll out of the water. She became terribly heavy once they were out of the water, their cold bodies sticking to each other uncomfortably.

“Help!”

“Miss?” one of the maids hurried over, clearly shocked at what happened as she grabbed a towel from a nearby cabinet.

“Can you take her to her room?” he placed Yeri on the floor, she was shivering wildly but she had this insanely stupid smile on her face. Mark had to resist the urge to lose his temper and scream at her. How could she do this? What kind of crazy…

“You are drunk.” He told Yeri. “They are going to put you to sleep.”

“I knew you would save me.” Yeri grinned, looking at Mark through hooded eyes. “You wouldn’t leave me.”

Mark didn’t know what to say. He just grabbed a towel for himself and stormed back to his room.

******************

By the time Mark crawled into bed it was already 3am. He was tired from the night’s activities. First they went dancing, then they ran and then he took a dip in freezing cold water. He didn’t even do this much during the day.

Mark fell asleep quickly, his eyelids were extremely heavy and his body limp with exhaustion. Almost half an hour later, Mark felt the bed dip on the other side, with a thick scent of perfume.

Hang on…that perfume…

“What the…” Mark opened his eyes and reached for his bedside lamp. He nearly fell off the bed when he saw Yeri laying next to him, dressed in a long white shirt and shorts.

“Yeri what the …”

“It’s so lonely in my bed.”

“Yeri, go back to your own room. You need to sleep.”

“Sleep with me.”

“I…” the cat got Mark’s tongue and he was at a loss of words. “Yeri you can’t be…”

Yeri grabbed Mark’s face and kissed him, her cold lips upon his, softly moving and melding with his. Mark was confused, it really took him a minute to register what was happening and by the time he realized she was kissing him, Yeri pulled away, her hands reaching for his neck.

“Yeri…Yeri…”

“You have such pretty lips.” She drawled, pulling him closer and attempting to crawl on to his lap to straddle him. Mark placed his hands on her hips not to pull her close, but to stop her from coming any closer.

“Yeri, no.”

“Come on…”

“No, no, I am not doing this.” He tried to push her off. “I am not doing this.”

“Markie…”

“Let go of me!” he snapped, pushing her off him and she fell limply against the bed. For a split second, Mark was worried he had hurt her and was ready to apologize, then she lifted her head and smiled. That smile sent shivers down his back, but not in a good way.

“I knew this would happen.”

“What?”

“You’re too nice Mark. Too nice.” She cackled, running her fingers all over his bedsheet, like a cat clawing at it. “You won’t do anything to hurt me, even if I ask for it.”

“Yeri I…”

“Why, why won’t you do it?!” she screamed at him, grabbing his face and forcing him to look at her. There were tears in her eyes, her cheeks were red and her hair was a mess, sticking to her lips as her other hand was placed over her chest.

“Why won’t you kiss me? Why won’t you hold me? Why won’t you be close to me?”

“I…”

“Is it because I’m ugly? Am I a for running into your van? Is that what it is? Or who is it? Joy? Chaeyoung? Tzuyu?!”

“Yeri, stop!” Mark pulled her hand off. “You have to stop acting like this!”

“I want you Mark.” Yeri breathed, pushing his legs down and climbing onto his lap like a cat. At this point Mark was almost too exhausted to fight, and Yeri was too heavy to push off. “I have never wanted someone like this before.”

“Yeri please…” Mark grabbed her hands. “Don’t do something you will regret.”

“Why? You won’t hurt me.” She said, pulling his hands to her chest. She slipped his hands under her shirt, and Mark gasped at the feeling of her bare skin on his.

“No, I’m not doing this…”

“Don’t worry, I can do it all.” She popped open her buttons one by one, and to Mark’s shock, the material slid off her shoulders, revealing her bare chest.

“No, no…”

Yeri was still in the midst of stripping when Mark’s door suddenly flung open, revealing a very red-faced Donghyuck watching a teenage girl sitting on top of his hyung.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to interrupt.”

“Hyuck!!” with quick moves, Mark flipped the blanket underneath them to cover Yeri’s exposed chest, and wrapped her up like a sushi roll. “It’s not what you think.”

“You don’t need to explain to me. You’re entitled to whoever you want.” Donghyuck shook his head. “Just keep it down. I need sleep.” And with that the door slammed shut.

“We’re getting you out of here.”

“Mark…”

“Out of here. Now.” He grabbed her by the shoulders, all covered in his blanket and he opened the door. He pushed her out and escorted her all the way to her room.

“You need sleep Yeri.” Mark groaned. “I am sick of this. I am not sleeping with you, I am not having with you and I am not kissing you.”

“I can’t believe you.” She scoffed. “A girl willingly strips herself in front of you and you won’t take the advantage.”

“If you are looking for someone who would a drunk girl without consent then I am sorry but I am not the guy you are looking for.” He snapped at her.

“But why?!?!?!” Yeri cried. “Am I not pretty enough? Not smart enough? Not good enough?!”

“Because…”

“Because what?”

“Because you don’t deserve this!” Mark ruffled his hair in frustration. “I don’t get it. You shouldn’t have to prove that you are beautiful, or smart or whatever by taking your ing clothes off! You deserve more respect than that!”

Yeri’s eyes were b with tears. She bit her lip and slammed the door in his face.

 

A/N: This fic is also on A03 if anyone is interested hahahahahaha!

http://archiveofourown.org/works/11062215/chapters/24667065

By the way, there will be more markhyuck in the next chapter, don't worry! XD