Chapter 52: Reaper's Reasons

Next Gen Magicians
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

While Yoona and Seohyun were checking in on their friends at the hospital, Taeyeon, Tiffany, Hyoyeon, and Sunny were currently handling Reaper’s accommodation and interrogation. His accommodation was a solid steel floor and roof accompanied by four walls of steel bars, you could say it was a cage, but Taeyeon and Tiffany preferred to refer to it as a Mage Confinement Box since this was a much more humane term. His amulet was also a long way away from his cage… I mean, Mage Confinement Box, which meant there was no chance for him escaping using his enchanter magic. Besides that, the girls also had full CCTV camera surveillance on him at all times to make sure he didn’t have anything sneakily hidden up his sleeve and to top it all off, the final measure to make sure Reaper wouldn’t escape was a quick mind scan from Sunny. She simply did this to ensure that he truly didn’t have any plans of escaping and she verified it to be true. He was perfectly content with staying in his Mage Confinement Box. Now it was time to get to the nitty-gritty of Reaper’s information. Taeyeon was going to question him about everything he had done for King and why he had done so, but so far he wasn’t cooperating very smoothly with them. For most of his answers, Reaper kept insisting that they should seek answers from Hyoyeon as she had been told everything by King, but even if this were true, Taeyeon preferred to hear all the information directly from Reaper. That way, they wouldn’t miss a single piece of key information and if he did decide to hide a piece of important information, Sunny would always be able to work her skills and find out that way. “One last chance Reaper, you get one last chance before my friend here tears down all your privacy and exposes all your deepest, darkest secrets to everyone else in this room.” Taeyeon threatened.

“Well if I can’t stop her from reading my mind, what are you waiting for? Just do it already.” He demanded.

“Sunny can easily take the key details we need from your brain, but she’s trying to give you a fair chance to cooperate like you agreed to. You agreed that if we kept you safe, you would tell us what exactly we’re supposed to be keeping you safe from. If anything, you’re really just putting yourself in more danger the longer you stall on providing us with the necessary information to protect you.” Taeyeon scoffed.

“Yeah!! If you’re not going to cooperate, maybe we should just offer you back to the police like King and the rest of his crew!” Tiffany yelled since she was still somewhat opposed to the idea of letting a murder stay in their secret base at the apartment. Reaper thought for a moment and realized that they were right. If he didn’t seek their help, there was no telling if they could prepare in time for Elder Cosmic’s arrival. “Alright, pull up some chairs for yourselves this will be a long story. I’ll start off with why I sought out King…”

 

*Flashback to six months ago*

 

Back in South Korea, Reaper was quietly sleeping in his dorm, when one of Elder Cosmic’s servants had summoned him forth to her office. He wasn’t pleased to be summoned again since this was the ninth time he had been summoned to her office this week. But of course, he had no choice but to comply. Otherwise, he may not live to see the tenth time he’s summoned. He quickly moved off his bed and rushed over to meet with Elder Cosmic. He found her sitting and staring at the TV screen which seemed to be showing some American News, but the date showed it to be from a few months prior to the current date. “What do you want?” Reaper asked bluntly.

“Mind your tone Master Reaper, otherwise I’ll tone you down myself. Now back to my plan…”

“You’re not still going on about this, are you? I told you, there’s no point venturing back to America Elder. King has it all handled and therefore there’s nothing for us there.” Reaper stated.

“Usually I would agree with you young Master Reaper, but only a few months ago, new magical talent had revealed itself there. One strong enough to beat one of King’s Wyverns no less. There must be more strong recruits there…” Elder Cosmic drifted back to the TV screen and focused particularly on an orange hooded figure who was battling King’s Fleeted Wyvern. “This girl, so skilled yet… so young… who is she??” Elder questioned.

“One mage means nothing Elder, she could merely be one in a million and if you want recruits, just ask King to do it for you. I see no reason to personally visit America yourself.” Reaper countered.

“I do not understand why you oppose to heavily to this plan Reaper, besides, you forget one crucial detail as to why I must go personally. If there is strong magical potential there, they need artifacts to thrive and evolve and that is exactly what I will provide for them!!” Elder Cosmic admitted.

“What?? Why would you do that?” Reaper questioned.

“Humans… grow stronger as the days pass. At least they believe themselves to be growing stronger as they continue to advance their arsenal of nuclear weaponry, but… it’s time to rebuild Reaper. To put them back in their place below us, the magically gifted! A new generation of magicians will be born and the extinction of humanity will be inevitable!” She waved her fist in the air proudly. Reaper couldn’t believe what he had just heard, he already knew that mages were superior to the human beings, but given the fact that he had seen magic’s impact when everyone was a mage centuries ago worried him. The last time the world had been filled with mages, the world was almost destroyed by reckless mages who assumed they could summon Divine creatures aka Divinities with no consequences. If the same thing were to happen in present day, there would be no one to stop their tyranny. The only reason why the world was still together currently was because of the four original mages who sacrificed their lives to send the Divinity back into the ethereal realm. “Master Reaper? Do you disagree with my plan?” She asked which broke his concentration.

“Umm, no. You’re right Elder. In fact, I’ll head over to America and prepare King for our arrival.” Reaper quickly left the room and made his way to the airport. It was true he was going to see King, but not to prepare him, but to ask… no, beg and plead him to come up with a plan to prevent Elder Cosmic’s scheme from blooming to its full potential.

 

*Back to present time*

Taeyeon and Tiffany stared at each other with confusion, mainly because they had no idea who this Elder Cosmic was. “Um Reaper is this Elder Cosmic dangerous??” Tiffany questioned.

“Dangerous? I’ve never heard of such a weak understatement in my entire life and keep in mind I’m centuries old.” Reaper scoffed.

“Then, if dangerous isn’t the word, tell us how you would describe her,” Taeyeon stated.

“Devil incarnate.”

“Wow, that bad huh?” Tiffany laughed.

“You think this is a joke? Fine, let me put it into a perspective you will understand. You believe Taeyeon is powerful correct? Then imagine Taeyeon with centuries and centuries of experience. Does that make it clearer??” Reaper questioned.

“Taeyeon with a lot of experience? Why her in particular?” Tiffany questioned. Hyoyeon felt like this was the perfect time for her to step in and fill in some holes. “Tae, Elder Cosmic… she’s… she’s your ancestor… We don’t know how far the generation gap is, but… she’s you’re a grandmother on your father’s side…” Hyoyeon revealed slowly. Taeyeon didn’t know how to feel about this. Her father had never mentioned a living relative and now that she found out that she had one, she felt like she should be excited. But the fact that she was an evil lady set on enslaving humanity, left her in confusion. Taeyeon quickly glanced over to Sunny to verify if all that she had just heard was true and unfortunately it was. “Sorry Tae, neither of them are lying.” Sunny verified. Taeyeon then fixed her sights back onto Reaper and grasped the metal bars with extreme force. “How do you know this?? WHO TOLD YOU THIS INFORMATION!!?” Taeyeon yelled with rage.

“King. He overheard a conversation she had when your father was set to be a recruit for the Emerald Dragon Cult and she mentioned him to be her only heir. This was before you were born and when he ran away he found your mother and started his family.” Reaper stated.

 

Taeyeon didn’t even look at anyone else as she ran out of the room from the stress. How could it be? She wondered, how was it that her last living relative was an evil tyrant? Why did her father never warn her, not even Shinju had warned her? Why did everyone hide this? She was desperate for answers and just when she needed it, a w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter