I. Lady in Black

Lethal Elegance

It was just another night in Anyang. The inner city grew out of the cracked sidewalks like the jagged gap-toothed grin of an old junkie. The only splash of color in the grime came from the lurid graffiti and the sidewalks were littered with injection paraphernalia. From every covered doorway came the dejected stares of men and women in their pathetic cardboard sleeping bags. From upper windows came the boom of sub-culture music. The hookers stalked the streets in their skimpy outfits and high boots looking for work, their drug-addled bodies as thin as pins, their cheekbones jutting out through pallid skin. And thus the whole private life of the street was threaded in lights. There was a sense of indecent exposure, from so many backs. There was a woman in a vanilla trench coat walking down the street, with a fearful look on her face. She felt herself almost in physical contact with this contiguous stretch of back premises. She heard the sound of water gushing into a grate, the dropping of a pail outside a door, the clink of a coal shovel, the banging of a door, the sound of voices. So many buildings cheek by jowl, so many squirming lives, so many yards of disgusting alleyways, back doors giving on to the night. It was revolting. The woman made her way over to a diner, checking around for anything suspicious she sat down at booth 5. She called over a waitress to bring her some coffee. 

"I'll be right back with you Miss....."~The waitress said asking for her name.

"Its Minah"~The woman said smiling back at the waitress. Minah then sat there and waited. Tucked away at a secluded table on the other side of the diner, one woman sits alone. Seeing Minah she stood up with a hip jutted to one side, her right arm draped across her slender body, clasping the elbow opposite. Her head lolled down to one shoulder casting her long blonde hair onto the her white leather jacket that fit snuggly on her body. It hung so that it matched her black fishnet leggings. After a moment, the blonde woman finds her way over to Minah sitting down right next to her.

"Can I help..."~Mina said as she froze realizing who it was.

"Yes you can Minah"~The woman said parting her blonde hair revealing herself to be Anh Hye-Jin, Hwasa. 

"Hwasa....... What are...... You.....doing here"~Mina stuttered as her hands noticebly shook. 

"Oh Minah baby why you look scared?"~Hwasa said giggling putting her arm around Minah's shoulder. The waitress came back with a cup of coffee and placed it on the table. 

"There you go Miss Minah, would you like anything mam"~The waitress asked Hwasa as she smiled. Hwasa grinned back at the waitress. 

"Oh no we're fine"~Hwasa said as the the waitress left leaving the 2 girls alone in the booth. Hwasa grabbed the cup of coffee and took a small sip, leaving a red lip imprint on it.

"Ooooh, Drinking black coffee at this hour girl?"~Hwasa said bringing Minah in closer.

 Minah began sweating profusely in fear as Hwasa began slowly rubbing her shoulder. 

"Why are you so tense? You act like I'm gonna kill you"~Hwasa playfully said as Minah's eyes went wide. Hwasa pulled out a curved knife with a flower engraved on it. It was six inches of cold steel, while it's handle was ivory, reminding Hwasa that the knife had been murderous even in it's making. She then began slowly rotating it in her hands. 

"I only kill rats and thieves, unless....... You stole something"~Hwasa said sarcastically making Minah twitch. Hwasa held the knife, twisting it in the glow of the diner as if it could slice up the rays of light, her expression exaggerated by the dark shadows around her eyes. 

"Look Hwasa I can give you half and....."~Minah tried saying as Hwasa stabbed the knife onto the table. Hwasa's face went flush for a moment before bringing back a smile.

"Well baby, you gotta understand. When you steal from Jessica she gets mad. She either wants all of it back or you dead. I don't care what option I have to take"~Hwasa said to the trembling Minah. Hwasa picked the knife up and gently grazed it around Minah's neck. 

"I don't like killing pretty girls if I don't have to, So baby, whats it gonna be?"~Hwasa said bringing Minah in closer. Minah quickly reached into her trench coat and pulled out a 4 rolls of money and placed them on the table.

"Here that's all of it, I'm sorry"~Minah said cowering in the corner of the diner booth. Hwasa grabbed the money and started counting it, when she was finished she gave a hearty laugh. 

"Pleasure doing business with you honey, you may wanna leave the city, I wasn't the only one looking for you"~Hwasa said as she pocketed all the money and left the diner. Minah was frozen in fear from the confrontation, she didn't know how to react. The waitress comes back over tapping Minah on the shoulder.

"So how will you be paying for the coffee?"~The waitress said completely oblivious to what just happened in the diner. Hwasa trots along through the empty streets giggling to herself as she dials someone on her phone.

"Hey Hani I got the cash from Minah, where does Jessica want it?"~Hwasa said to Hani over the phone.

"Oh Jess said you can keep it, she only wanted to make an example with Minah"~Hani said to the surprised Hwasa. 

"Oooooh wee, you serious? Anh Hye-Jin is partying tonight"~Hwasa said dancing to herself

"By the way, Hani, is Byul free at all right now?"~Hwasa asked as she stopped to lean against a wall.

"No she's on assignment with Hyorin at the moment"~Hani responded

"Uuuugh what about Yezi?"~Hwasa asked growing irritated

"Yezi is busy working in Poyang with Seolhyun"~Hani said as Hwasa gave a long sigh.

"Well you free girl?"~Hwasa asked sounding a little desperate.

"Im going to be with LE before she gets sent off to Busan next month, you got no one else girl?"~Hani asked confused by Hwasa's tone.

"Well...."~Hwasa was about to say as she was cut off when she heard a girl's scream echo through the night.

"Hey I'll talk to you later Hani"~Hwasa said as she hung up the phone. She started running towards the sound of distress before reaching a dark, damp alley way. At the end of it was a girl in a black jacket with brunette hair. The girl was trying to hold onto her purse while a tall man in a hoodie was pulling it away from her.

"Let go!!!!!"~The girl screamed.

"Just give me the purse and no one gets hurt"~The man yelled back slowly pulling out a gun. She tries to run the opposite direction but he stops her. Unflinching, unblinking, he blocked her path. His face was mostly masked by a handkerchief. The gun he held was being toyed with in his thick fingers glimmered in the light of the alley as it was twirled so deftly. He spoke without any nerves, by the looks of it this wasn't his first dance in a dark alley-way. 

"Purse, jewelry, now."~The man demanded as the girl stood there and shook her head. He pointed the gun at her as she shielded her face. Hwasa couldn't stand thugs like this, preying on helpless girls when they're vunerable. Hwasa pulls out her knife, hiding it behind her back, she walks forth. Hwasa gets within 5 feet of the standoff before speaking.

"So what's going on here?"~Hwasa said with one arm behind her back.

"Stay out of this if you know what's good for ya"~the man said brandishing his gun. The other girl just stood there frozen, looking on at Hwasa and the Mugger.

"Did you just threaten me boy?"~Hwasa said with a look of sarcasm on her face.

"Get lost!"~The man said pointing his gun at Hwasa. She quickly ducks, holding her knife in her right hand. She gracefully brings it up slicing the man's wrist, making him scream and dropping his gun. Like an acrobat, she then flips over him landing in a crouched position before driving the knife into his calf as he fell forward.

Hwasa drags the steel blade along his back. She smirks as she looks at the man now cowering in a pool of his blood. She picked up his gun and dismantled it piece by piece dropping it on the ground. The cold look that reflected on Hwasa's face gave the man shudders. Her hand tightly closed around the knife as she knelt down, bringing it close to his neck. She so hated it when she didn't get to kill, but she had to punish him.

"Next time think before you threaten someone, now leave"~Hwasa said as the man slowly got up and limped away. When he was out of sight she sheathed her knife back below her left thigh. She looks back towards the girl as she was tackled with a hug.

"Thank you so much"~The girl said as they slowly disspered from the embrace. 

"No problem, it be a shame to let a thug like that hurt someone so........ pretty"~Hwasa said as the girl giggled. Hwasa didn't notice it earlier but she was absolutely gorgeous. The girl was about Hwasa's age, her almond eyes glimmer, even in the light of dimly lit alley. Her hair, despite being disheveled, flowed like a chocolate river over a face that any super model would be jealous of. Hwasa was flustered by her beauty, standing motionless mouth agape.

"Ugh miss?"~The girl said snapping Hwasa back to reality.

"Oh yes, how rude of me, the names Hwasa"~Hwasa said giving a slight bow.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Jung Wheein"~Wheein said grinning.