IV. "Don't You Remember?"

Lethal Elegance

 

Hyuna's eyes; a well of jet black ink, held a gaze more fearsome than a tiger. A thin paper cigarette hung from her bottom lip, a small trail of smoke escaping from the corner of danced its way to the ceiling above them. In one hand a gun lay loosely, her finger gently resting against the trigger. Hwasa let her eyes roll up to Hyuna, slowly strutting over to her. Her heels clacked like they were damaging the wooden floor, she was a black haired bombshell in a black dress, but that isn't what grabbed Hwasa's attention. She hadn't seen Hyuna in years, she thought she was dead at some point but here she was. Hwasa cursed inwardly moved to stand, but then sank into the lounge chair, as did Wheein. The worst flaw a person can have is that of self-deception. Hwasa was like that. She acted on impulse and then created the reason for her actions after the fact. If she was feeling good she did good things, if she was feeling negative in any way she did bad things. She felt like her good deeds meant she was a good person and her bad deeds were justified. In truth she never thought before she acted or spoke, she never stopped to ask herself if her response was the right one, or merely the first knee-jerk reaction that sprung to mind.

"And I thought I'd have to handle these boys again"~Hyuna said, motioning for her bouncers to remove the men from the premises. 

"Hey Boss, Hwasa handled everything fine"~Wheein said gently rubbing Hwasa's shoulders.

"Boss?!"~Hwasa said stunned

"Yeah, I own the "IDOLZ" club, now you didn't answer my question Hwasa"~Hyuna said sitting down next to them

"You two know each other?"~Wheein asking clueless

"Oh yeah we do"~Hyuna said winking at Hwasa

"Since when do you own clubs?"~Hwasa said trying to change the subject. 

"Oh awhile ago, it's been a long time Hwasa hasn't it?"~Hyuna said grabbing a drink from a nearby table. 

"Yeah, how long has it been, 3 years?"~Hwasa said as she motioned for Wheein to leave. 

"5, 5 years, Anh"~Hyuna said taking a sip of her drink. 

A heavy silence settled over them, thicker then the uneasy tension in the atmosphere. Hwasa's unsettled eyes glanced unceremoniously around and tried to avoid catching glances that Hyuna passed. Wheein shifted uncomfortably in her seat and Hwasa grasped her sweaty, nervous hand behind her back.

"Ok Boss, well me and Hwasa are gonna go"~Wheein said, standing up and breaking the awkward silence. 

"Why so soon Pup-Whee? Sit down and lemme tell you a story"~Hyuna said as Hwasa's eyes went wide. 

"What do you mean?"~Wheein said sitting back down

"A story of me and Hwasa, 5 years ago, in Busan"~As Hyuna said those words Hwasa's face froze in shock. 

"Actually Hwasa why don't you tell Wheein the story?"~Hyuna said with a grin plastered on her face. 

"I don't think....."~Hwasa tried saying as Hyuna placed her hand on her shoulder. 

"Oh Ahn-y, I insist"~Hyuna said staring at Hwasa with a coldness

Hwasa gave a sigh as she began speaking, knowing she didn't have any way out. 

"The Resteraunt Job?"~Hwasa asked as Hyuna knodded. 

[5 Years Ago in Busan]

She and Hyuna were both assassins who worked together alot 5 years ago. A bead of sweat danced across the brow on Hwasa's face. The ghost light of the alleyway provided just enough light to read the note he clutched:


“Back-End. 3pm.”~Hwasa mumbled to herself as she pulled out her knife. 

She never asked questions or knew who her employer was. She found her work much more fulfilling this way. If the amount was paid in full what did she care about the life she was charged to take and the reasons why?
"You got a good sight Hyuna"~Hwasa whispered into her earpiece. 

"Oh Yeah baby girl"~Hyuna said propping her sniper rifle up against a steel bin. She was on an adjacent building across the street, taking down the alleyway. 

"Ok if you don't hear from me, then its your move"~Hwasa said as Hyuna got ready
She heard a door open and her body stiffened with anticipation. Waiting for the perfect moment to attack was her favorite part. Footsteps in the distance told her he was about to kill a man. There was no mistaking the sound of high class boots. But she also heard the clacking of high heels. The man who was their target walked by with a teenage girl.

"So dad, where we going?"~The girl said walking by Hwasa. 

 She was a beautiful girl, probably wouldn't ever think the night was gonna go the way it was. Hwasa clicked her earpiece and walked behind a dumpster. 

"Hyuna, missions a bust, he isn't alone"~Hwasa mumbled but no response came from the other end. What she heard next would haunt her for the rest of her days. A crack of a gunshot flew through the air bringing the surrounding sounds to a silent echo. The next sound she heard was a man crying and a loud thud. Hwasa turned to see Hyuna did take the shot but missed. Hwasa then heard Hyuna through her earpiece. 

"Finish it....."~Hyuna said as the microphone went silent. The man cried, holding onto his bleeding daughter, trying to comfort her in some way. Hwasa knew it had to be done, she walked forth with her knife in hand. 

 

"So you killed him too?"~Wheein said bringing Hwasa back to reality. 

"Yeah I did, and that was it....."~Hwasa murmured sounding a bit nervous 

"Thats not what I meant, You forgot one thing Hwa.....What is it?"~Hyuna tried saying as a bouncer tapped her on the shoulder. He whispered something into her ear as a look of dismay washed over her face.

"D*mn well I guess we'll have to continue this another time, it was good seeing you again Anh, don't be a stranger."~Hyuna said as she got up to leave. Hwasa grabbed Wheein by the wrist and hurried out of the club as fast as she could.

"Whats wrong Anh?"~Wheein said surprised by how shaky Hwasa was.

"Nothing..... just didn't expect to see..... her"~Hwasa 

"Why were you so nervous around her"~Wheein asked as Hwasa stopped dead in her tracks.

"The last job was the last straw......"~Hwasa said making Wheein hold her hands gently

"What happened between you gals what did she mean by "forgetting one thing"?"~Wheeins said making Hwasa ponder her next choice. Her sadness, her fear, her love... they were simply birds flying around Hwasa's own head. At first, in realizing this, she felt alone, isolated within her mind. But, after thinking, she knew it meant she was in control. The bad memories only existed in her mind, they were like movies She could refuse to play. Hwasa really does believe she loved Wheein, like she was the last of her kind. It is as if Wheein spoke the same language as her, yet no other is able. To be around Wheein is like finally not being alone - as if all Hwasa's life she's been isolated, in a windowless room, in a doorless room; and then suddenly Wheein walks in as if strolling over a summer meadow. How could she lie to this girl? Why would she? Hwasa gave a hearty sigh before looking at Wheein.

"Hyuna........... Hyuna is my ex-girlfriend"~Hwasa said as Wheein looked stunned by the revelation.