The Date

8AM

To say that Kim Taehyung was nervous is an understatement. The tanned male was near vibrating at this point. After receiving the text from Yoongi, he had proceeded to let out one of the shrillest squeals Jimin has ever heard. He didn’t think it was even possible given how deep Taehyung’s normal speaking voice is but alas, he was proven wrong. He may also have burst an eardrum as a result but he wouldn’t know because Jimin could still hear Taehyung’s excited murmuring from inside his bedroom.

Having finally completed his assignment, Jimin took note of the time, “2 o’clock, hmm...that took longer than expected.” Submitting his work and cleaning up the scattered notes, the dancer went to look for his roommate to see what he was up to. Jimin opened the door to Tahyung’s bedroom knowing that it was redundant for him to knock as permission, what with the younger being way into his head about his oncoming date. The sight that greeted him shouldn’t have been that much of a surprise. Taehyung wasn’t the cleanest of person to begin with but the state his room was in right now could rival the aftermath of a storm. Clothes were strewn everywhere while the owner was currently stood in the centre dressed up and observing himself in the full-length mirror.

“Do you think this is too much, Jiminie?” he enquired, not bothering to face the dancer. Jimin gave his friend a onceover contemplating his choice of outfit. The man was donned in a pair of tight fitted dark-wash jeans, a plain crew-neck black shirt, tucked and hidden underneath his favourite worn out leather jacket. The tiger pendant he constantly wore glistened a lovely green from where it lay atop the tee shirt when the afternoon light hit. In all honesty, Kim Taehyung looked like a model from those fashion magazines you’ll find sitting in the corner of waiting rooms. Jimin couldn’t deny that his best friend was good looking. He could pull off virtually any outfit if he wanted to and right now, Kim Taehyung was a sight to see. However, it was definitely not an outfit one would wear just to a coffeeshop date. Which was what the music major had told him when asked where they planned to go.

“Lose the jacket, Tae. You’d die in that thing sitting in the café,” instead Jimin sifted through the pile of clothes to search for a thin bomber jacket he knew the younger owned. Spotting the desired clothing, he held it up for the other to wear. “Keep the pants though, it does wonders to your .”

Taehyung turned to finally regard his friend properly, shooting him a cheeky grin in reply, “It does, doesn’t it?” turning his head to glance back at the mirror that is now displaying his back.

Jimin shot him a fond look. It’s been 2 years since Taehyung fell for Yoongi and he is glad that his love is finally being reciprocated. Watching as Taehyung kept admiring himself, he couldn’t stop the small chuckle that fell from his lips. Remembering the time, Jimin caught Taehyung’s attention. “But hey, isn’t Yoongi-hyung only going to pick you up at 7? Why are you dressed so early? You still have like 5 hours to go, Tae.”

At this, Taehyung gave a sheepish smile hand going up to scratch at the phantom itch of being caught. “Haha, I’m just…a bit nervous. I want to make sure I look good enough so that Yoongi-hyung doesn’t regret asking me out, I don’t know. It kinda feels like a dream come true. I’ve liked him for so long and I didn’t think he’d ever look at me as anything other than that lanky kid who lived down the street in Daegu. I don’t even know what brought this up…he’s never indicated anything? And then this morning when I saw him, well when he saw me, the first thing he asked was if I’m free tonight and then whether I wanted to go to the new café at the corner saying we could go as just friends or a date or whatever. So truthfully, I’m kinda at a loss right now but I can’t deny that I’m over the moon with this. I just hope Yoongi-hyung doesn’t think this was a mistake or something...”

As Taehyung trailed off, Jimin caught the underlying insecurity that is always accompanied in his tone when he speaks of Yoongi’s view on him. To others, Taehyung seemed to be a confident, comfortable-in-their-skin type of person but no one had the opportunity to see him in the darkness of their dorm. Curled up the smallest he can be, eyes moist but never flowing and mind filled with every incompetency he finds.

Jimin pulled Taehyung into a hug, doing what he can to stop the latter from drowning in self-doubt. His voice was soft when he spoke. Partly influenced by the sudden solemn atmosphere and partly due to their proximity.

“Hey Taetae, anyone would be lucky to love you and have you love them back. Trust me on this when I say that everything will work out with Yoongi-hyung. I’ve seen things, I’ve seen the way he looks at you and takes care of you. He loves you just as much even though he has never implied as much. You know Yoongi-hyung is not good at expressing himself. It’s a miracle he asked you out the way he did but I’m sure it wasn’t a spur of the moment type of thing. Stop overthinking, Tae and just take it slow. The two of you will talk, and you’ll love each other and complement each other and you’ll be so cute you’ll make all us single people jealous.” His tone took on a cheerier sound at the end in hopes to bring back the smile that took residence on Taehyung’s face hours prior.

Jimin loosened his hold to be greeted by a watery smile, “We would make a cute couple, huh?” and even though it still lacked the enthusiasm that was present that morning, Jimin was pleased to find Taehyung slowly returning back to his animated self. “The cutest couple I’d know.” Jimin assured with a beam.

For the next few hours found the two best friends seated on their tattered couch flipping through channels showcasing reruns or soap operas while snacking on their bare pantry. Taehyung had abandoned his jacket to sit more comfortably as he waited for the time to pass whilst Jimin was currently stuffing himself with a sandwich made of obscure ingredients he managed to scour in the kitchen. Swallowing down the remaining of his meal, the dancer spoke, “Will you be coming back to the dorm or sleeping over at Yoongi-hyung’s place after that?” The way Jimin asked with such nonchalance had Taehyung splattering, nearly choking on the chips he was munching on. A scandalised expression overtaking his face as he tried to regain his breath before answering his best friend. Jimin glanced back with incredulity at Taehyung’s reaction. “Wha- I never…how could you-“

It wasn’t like the tanned man had never slept over at their hyung’s apartment before. Granted it was mostly because he needed help in his assignments but Jimin was certain that wasn’t the only reason. Still, Taehyung is acting as if he was an innocent little baby right now. “Oh please, it’s not like it would be the first time. I’m just asking to know whether I’d need to keep the door open or not if you’re going to be late.”

Just as Taehyung was about to come up with a snarky reply, a familiar instrumental tune blared through. Jumping up from his seat, Taehyung picked up his phone to answer the call.

“Hello, yeah hyung…I’m ready. Ok, I’m heading down now. See you”

The tall male sent a scowl towards where the dancer was still seated as he slipped into his jacket and shoes. Jimin managed to throw in a “Make sure you use protection if you do!” which was returned with a flip as the door closed behind him.

Taehyung had to take a few minutes trying to taper down the blush he knew was colouring his cheeks before he made his way down to Yoongi. Exiting the lobby, the nervousness he felt that morning started creeping back. He gave a shy smile once the elder spotted him and gestured over.

Taehyung took his time walking to where Yoongi was leaning against his car. He didn’t want to seem eager, though he doubted the other man minded at all. When he finally reached the car, Yoongi straightened up admiring the sight in front of him.

“Nice jacket,” greeted the producer.

Looking down at his own outfit, Taehyung let out a laugh when he realised what he was wearing. The bomber jacket that Jimin had helped him pick out was a gift from Yoongi when Taehyung’s musical piece was chosen at their school’s annual art fest.

“You look nice too, hyung. As always,” Taehyung shoots back with his boxy grin. Yoongi could feel his face getting warmer at the complement, turning away to prevent the younger from seeing pink-tinged cheeks. He cleared his throat and tilted his head towards the car.

“Get in then. Don’t want to be stuck in line if the café turns out to be full,” Yoongi said, making his way to the other side for the driver’s seat. Taehyung settled himself in the car as the elder drove off. The soft melody of an R&B song floated between the pair creating a calming atmosphere that helped to quell the nerves felt unknowingly by both. Not being able to stay quiet for long, Taehyung turned his attention towards Yoongi.

“So hyung, how is the production for your tracks coming along? I heard that you were asked to create a guide for some faceless artist,” Taehyung has always been amazed by Yoongi. The elder might only be a few years older than him but he was able to create such beautiful music, lyrics so touching and full of sorrow it felt as if he was decades older than he actually is. Yoongi couldn’t help the small smile from stretching his face at hearing the note of pride in Taehyung’s voice about his work. Since the first time he, albeit a little unwillingly, let the young student listen to some of his saved files, Yoongi always finds himself sending snippets of songs he thought might impress him.

“It’s actually coming along pretty good for this one. I didn’t have that much of a problem with the skeleton so now I just have to make some minor tweaks to further suit the requirements and hopefully be able to have it complete and sent by the end of next week,” Yoongi sounded tired but satisfied with himself as he talked about his progress. Taehyung knew that the elder always puts in his best in all his work. He was a perfectionist that doesn’t allow the slightest bit of mistake. Most professors of the arts department had one way or another complimented Yoongi on his work, even using it as examples to the junior classes.

When they reached the café, it has considerably darkened outside. Luckily, there weren’t that many patrons despite it being a relatively new place. Entering the shop, they found a quiet corner that provided enough privacy in the open space. It was a quaint thing, the coffee shop. One might think that going to a café for a first date was not special enough but it fits them. Yoongi doesn’t do grand gestures. He was the kind of person to force you with him for lunch because he knew you were broke and starving even though you haven’t breathed a word about it. Giving excuses like “I don’t like eating alone when it’s crowded” when it was a well-known fact he loves his alone time anywhere.

Yoongi didn’t even have to ask the younger what he would like to order. They knew each other like the back of their hands even when they’re not conscious of it. Yoongi knows how Taehyung prefers things on the sweeter side while the younger is aware of how Yoongi hates anything remotely sour. It felt just like their normal hangouts, Yoongi bringing over their orders while Tae made sure no one stole their seats. Once, Taehyung offered to carry their drinks back and it ended up a huge mess so from then on, the elder made sure to be the one taking their food.

They took the time to catch up on each other. Yoongi having his scheduled packed up from getting his thesis done and fulfilling his duties are a part-time producer on the other hand, Taehyung trying his best to complete his assignments without the elder’s help. The two hadn’t been able to see each other bar from their usual group lunches. Even then, at times Yoongi will be absent. They complaint about strict professors (Taehyung) and moaned about extensive workloads (Yoongi) that it didn’t feel any different from all the other times the two of them met up when the rest of their friends were busy with their own personal lives. The only change was that now Taehyung didn’t have to pretend he’s not looking at Yoongi, and that made him more aware of the fond looks sent his way. It also didn’t go unnoticed how their knees would brush against each other’s under the table when one of them shifted. At one point Taehyung even had the courage to take Yoongi’s hand in his. It wasn’t small and chubby like Jimin’s nor where they long and smooth like his own, even so Taehyung thought they fit perfectly in his. By the end of the date, they exited the café with soft smiles and intertwined fingers.

The wind was strong once they stepped out of the café. Blowing a song and messing up their hairs. One could tell neither wanted the night to end. It was still relatively early, considering the both of them had no classes scheduled the next day. They took their time walking back to Yoongi’s car, arms swinging between them with every step. Gearing up the engine, Yoongi faced towards Taehyung, feeling a displaced shyness for what he’s about to ask. “Um...do you want to come over? That is, it’s still pretty early and Jin-hyung went back home for the weekend, so we’ll be alone and uh…get more privacy than we usually do.”

Taehyung felt himself blush at the remark of given privacy, remembering Jimin’s passing words before he left. He prayed the elder hadn’t notice his reddening cheeks as he does his best to taper it down, the younger nodded in confirmation to the suggestion, “That would be nice, hyung.” The affirmation was enough to have Yoongi gain back his confidence before driving off towards his shared apartment. The senior honestly had no intention for inviting Taehyung over other than to spend a few more precious hours with him, however witnessing a blushing Kim Taehyung illuminated by the soft glow of a street lamp brought out a tingle of passion inside of him. A playful smirk tugged at his lips as he wonders on how to bring back the beautiful redness to the younger’s face, and maybe explore just how far down it extends. Diverting his eyes from the road to glimpse back at his partner, Yoongi most definitely cannot wait to reach home.