Good things come to those who wakes up early

8AM

Jimin was in their dorm, having been home to finish up on an assignment he’s been procrastinating on. He was well into a thousand words when the front door of his shared apartment with Taehyung burst open, making him jump at the sudden thud of impact by the door hitting the wall. Now, this wasn’t anything new. Taehyung has always had a habit of making his presence known at home. Be it singing out loud to the latest tune he found or playing his video games at exceptionally loud volumes. However, he has always been considerate enough to Jimin, remaining quiet when the dancer was swamped with school work or studying, and he specifically remembers telling his housemate slash best friend about him needing to submit his video production essay by that evening. So it was entirely expected of him to nearly throw his laptop in surprise.

“PARK JIMIN! Jimin Jimin Jimin!!” Taehyung bellowed the moment their apartment door gave way. “You will never guess what happened this morning. I swear I nearly went into a cardiac arrest, NEVER let me leave the house that early ever again. Oh my god I can still feel my heart beating,” Taehyung heaved, flopping down beside his friend on the worn out couch.

Having managed to save his laptop and hard work from possible demise, Jimin calmly settled the device on the safety of their coffee table. Turning to regard his best friend, Jimin couldn’t tell if whatever that has transpired was really a horrible event or it was just Taehyung being dramatic.

“Taetae, it’s only..” at this, Jimin glanced to his laptop screen searching the small numbers, “9 am. On a Saturday. What happened to have you so riled up like this? I don’t think any sane soul is awake on a Saturday morning this early.” He cocked an eyebrow over at the tanned man, mind working through scenarios to have him this lively at such an hour. Kim Taehyung wasn’t known as an early bird. He might be able to attend 8am lectures on a daily basis but that by no means indicates he is a functioning human before 11am. So it really was a sight to see for Jimin as he watched his younger friend finally regain his breath and a balance to his heart rhythm.

Jimin was anticipating his answer as Taehyung opened his mouth to start his tale. “Min Yoongi happened.” With those words, Jimin could feel himself deflate. Of course it would be about Min Yoongi. What else could have Taehyung so worked up any time before lunch. Not that Jimin wasn’t concerned for whatever might have happened to Taehyung. Yoongi could possibly have been chasing the latter to murder him for being too loud too early in the morning or something of the like. This was the usual timing Min Yoongi, part-time producer and post-grad senior, will be making his way home, bleary-eyed after a full night of producing. On the other hand, while Kim Taehyung is usually a subdued version of himself before the sun is horizontally above ground, being around Min Yoongi does things to him.

It’s really quite a sad, albeit funny sight to see Kim Taehyung in this way. The both of them has always just known each other in passing. Growing up in the same neighbourhood in Daegu, then ending up in the same college in Seoul. Taehyung approached Yoongi the moment he spots the older during orientation. Having felt immense relief at having a familiar face in the big city. When he met Jimin as his dormmate, they instantly clicked. Yoongi was the first person Taehyung introduced him to before they met new people. They ate lunch together when their schedule permits and slowly their circle of friends increased to the 7 that it is now. But still if you ask Taehyung who he is closes to, he would probably moan saying it’s unfair to choose between either Jimin or Yoongi.

Being a senior of 2 years, Yoongi was the one that helped the younger adjust to college life. Yet who knows what happened during the in-betweens because one day Taehyung came up to Jimin, all bundled up in his blanket mouth a slight downturn and a worry crease marring his forehead. “I think I might be in love with Yoongi-hyung.” That was all that was said before he hid himself in the dancer’s chest and Jimin could do nothing but hold him tight. After that night, Taehyung seemed to take his feelings in stride. Jimin has lost count just how many times Taehyung came back to the dorm then proceeded to go off about Yoongi the moment he sees his roommate. “Yoongi-hyung this, Yoongi-hyung that, Yoongi-hyung looked so good today Jimin,” and really it was kinda cute at first. The day after Taehyung realised his feelings, his voice raised a pitch when Yoongi greeted them good morning in that gruff voice of his from a night of working. Yoongi hardly notice the difference though, being so out of it from exhaustion. But now it’s just a tad bit annoying to hear his best friend constantly telling him what “Yoongi-hyung” did and “do you think maybe he knows of my feelings?” or “do you think Yoongi-hyung might feel the same way?” (although Jimin tries to cheer him up when the latter ask that particular question. There’s always a hint of sadness when he says it).

Heaving a weary sigh, Jimin picked up his laptop again to continue with his abandoned work. “Jimin~” The younger whined from beside him. “This is big news! I swear, I’m not exaggerating this time.”

“Ok Tae, sure” because Jimin knows that Taehyung would still delve into his story no matter how uninterested the dancer sounds.

“Listen. I was making my diddly way home after submitting that horrendous musical theory report for Prof. Lee and honestly, I didn’t expect to run into anyone so early in the morning. But then I heard the loveliest voice call out my name” he let out a dreamy sigh as if reminiscing back on that particular moment (who was Jimin kidding, Kim Taehyung was /definitely/ reminiscing back on that particular moment) “and I really didn’t expect Yoongi-hyung to even be able to recognise anyone at 8 in the morning.”

Jimin continued editing his essay as he listened. “Well, did you flirt with him?”

It wasn’t like Taehyung has never tried to flirt with Min Yoongi before. Even before the revelation of his own feelings Taehyung would randomly throw in a teasing comment at Yoongi. Though it was always met with an unimpressed pair of eyes and ignorance. So Jimin doesn’t understand where the scandalous gasp came from.

“Do you want me to get killed, Park Jimin? Of course not, it was 8 in the morning,” Taehyung huffed, pulling his arms to cross over his chest. However, not a minute later did he instead wind his long arms around Jimin’s body, pressing himself close he could feel the younger’s racing heartbeat.

“But guess who got a date tonight?” Now this got Jimin’s attention. Looking over at his best friend, a look of incredulity layering his face, he was met with shining eyes and the biggest grin he’d ever seen on a person’s face.

“He didn’t…oh my…he did?!” “He did!”

Lucky for the both of them, Jimin had a mind to place his laptop back on the table before jumping onto his best friend.

“I’m so happy for you, Taetae!! You lucky . You’ve been worried for nothing,” Jimin could feel the laughter that bubbled out of Taehyung, making him let out his own giggle. Lifting himself off of the music major, he righted the both of them on the couch as they tried to catch their breaths. Taehyung still had his mouth stretched into a wide smile and Jimin guessed his cheeks must be aching yet he doesn’t seem to be able to pull them back. A moment passed that was interrupted by a sharp “ding” from Taehyung’s phone. They looked over the device wondering who could be messaging him at this hour.

"Hey Tae, don’t forget I’ll pick you up at 7 tonight. And um.. I guess I’ll see you soon. I’m gonna go to sleep now. Don’t you dare spam me with your messages or you’re dead to me"

And Taehyung only lets out another giggle at that, already typing back a “Can’t wait! Sleep well, hyung”

Jimin looked up again at his best friend and he was glad to finally see him as happy as he can be. He hopes everything will finally work out. Although, there was nothing to worry about because Jimin has never told anyone but he’s seen the way Yoongi looks at Taehyung when the younger is otherwise occupied. No one can fake the look of love in their eyes, Jimin is sure.