Four.

Back on Dry Land

“Wait, wait!” Baekhyun said, “Will I need a jacket?”

Kyungsoo gave him an odd look, “Inside a club? You’ll die”

The two of them, along with Minseok, Yixing and Luhan had decided that since it was Saturday and none of them were working or had any schooling to catch up on, they were going to make the damn most of it and go out.

It felt like forever since Baekhyun had just gone out and enjoyed himself, what between working at the record store and keeping up with his class work. There was just no time to relax and blow off some steam, but as luck would have it, things lined up right and they were finally, finally, going to just let loose and have a little fun.

It had taken a little more convincing to get Minseok on board, but Kyungsoo and the Chinese lads had jumped at the chance to just go out and get smashed, and lo and behold, they found themselves at Kyungsoo and Baekhyun’s with the music playing and drinks flowing as they prepared themselves for one hell of a night.

“Fair point” Baekhyun nodded, “But if I get cold when we leave I’m holding you personally responsible”

Kyungsoo hummed, already well on his way to tipsy-town. “If you’re that cold, I promise to pay for your Maccies when we leave the club” he said with a dismissive wave of his hand.

That seemed to perk Baekhyun up a little. “Deal” he said, “Prepare to pay for my food and then some, pal”

“You’ll probably forget by then anyway” Kyungsoo snorted, turning to Yixing, “Yo, can I ask you something?” he directed at the older man, who had been giggling about something or another with Luhan.

Yixing turned to face him with a smile, “Shoot” he said before knocking back another shot of Sambuca, wincing slightly as he did.

“So, first you were with Minseok, and now you’re with Junmyeon…” Kyungsoo started, “I was wondering who you’d pick next. Like, would you go for me, Baek or Jongdae…”

Yixing laughed loudly, the drink obviously getting to him, “Oh my god!” he got out as Luhan handed him another shot, “Oooh, if I picked Jongdae then that would make me, him and Minseok spit sisters” another laugh wracked through him, “No, no. But if I had to – if I had to – I think I’d probably pick… Baekhyun”

Kyungsoo looked only slightly offended, “What?!” he demanded, “Why him?”

“Because I’m fabulous, darling” Baekhyun grinned, tipping his glass towards Yixing in a mock toast.

Yixing snorted, downing his shot before shooing Luhan away before he could pour another and instead grabbed his half drank vodka-coke. “No, like, hear me out, right? Think about it… I have a type… I mean, Minseok, small and cute – kinda leathal. Junmyeon, small and cute – bit of a weirdo but confident. Baekhyun, small and cute – but also really obnoxious!”

“Are you saying I’m not small and cute?” Kyungsoo raised a teasing brow.

Yixing raised one back, “I thought you didn’t like being called cute” he pointed out.

“I like to be admired” Kyungsoo grinned back.

“I’m not obnoxious!” Baekhyun huffed, cutting off whatever Yixing’s reply may have been.

“Baekhyun,” Luhan said, attempting to sound serious but giggling slightly, “Last week, you showed up at my apartment, literally busted through the door and shouted ‘YOUR QUEEN IS HERE, ES’”

Baekhyun didn’t seem to see the connection, “And?” he asked.

Minseok rolled his eyes as he finished the concoction of various alcohols in his glass, “Dude, the did you put in this?”

“Bit of everything” Kyungsoo shrugged, “and anyway, Baek. You’re way obnoxious” he said as an after thought.

Baekhyun rounded on him in disbelief, “Says the guy that used to fancy the pants off of me”

“Think you’ll find it was the other way around, babe” Kyungsoo smirked, “Oooh! I love this song! Turn it up!”

Luhan did as commanded as Kyungsoo got to his feet and began swaying his hips provocatively to the beat.

No I’m not tryin’ to be rude, but hey pretty girl I’m feelin’ you. The way you do the things you do, remind me of my Lexus Coup” he danced over to Minseok and pulled him to his feet to dance with him, “That’s why I’m all up in your grill, tryna get you to a hotel, you must be a football coach, the way you got me playin’ the field!”

The other three were up in an instant dancing along as they all screetched;

So baby, give me that toot, toot! Let me give you that beep, beep! Runnin’ her hands through my ‘fro, bouncin’ on 24’s, while they sayin’ on the radio: It’s the remix to ignition, hot and fresh out the kitchen, mama rollin’ that body, got every man in here wishin’. Sippin’ on coke and rum, I’m like so what, I’m drunk! It’s the freakin’ weekend, baby, I’m about to have me some fun!”

The five of them laughed, loud and carefree as they danced and sang along to the song, though before they reached the end, Minseok’s phone started to ring.

He answered and after a series of yeses, he announced the taxi was there, so they grabbed their phones and wallets and turned off the lights, before heading out to greet the night.

It didn’t take long for them to arrive and be in the club. Thankfully, Minseok knew one of the bar tenders so it didn’t take them long to each have a drink in hand before they made their way over to the dance floor to get down to the beat of the music.

Kyungsoo laughed gleefully as he downed his drink, setting his empty cup on a vacant table before Baekhyun pulled him in and whirled him around playfully.

Beside them, Minseok was dancing with Yixing, the pair of them in a git of giggles as they grinded against one another to the music with Luhan dancing beside them with a girl who looked like a glitter globe, her black waist length hair sparkling under the coloured lights of the club.

“Are you seeing anyone?” the girl half-shouted in his ear to be heard above the music.

Luhan nodded as he spun them in a circle, “Yeah!” he yelled back, “I have a boyfriend. How about you?”

“I have a boyfriend too!” she grinned, “He’s working at the minute so I’m having a night out with the girls!”

“Me too!” Luhan grinned back, “Well, with the boys, but you get my point!”

The girl nodded before her face light up, “I love this song!!” She half screamed as the group of girls behind her let out a chorus of ‘whoo’s.

Minseok rolled his eyes as he watched as Luhan was surrounded by girls, all of them jumping and dancing messily to the music, Luhan seemed to be leading them all as they laughed and shouted drunken compliments at each other.

Baekhyun tapped him on the shoulder, “Min, we’re just going for some air” he said, “Wait here for us! Don’t go away!”

“Yeah, alright!” Minseok told him before turning back to dance with Yixing.

Baekhyun turned and grabbed Kyungsoo by the hand before leading them away to the smoking area. The cool air of the night hitting them like a comforting blanket.

“God, it’s so hot in there” Kyungsoo breathed as they moved further out, pulling a packet of cigarettes out of his pocket as he did. He took one for himself and handed another to Baekhyun.

Baekhyun nodded, “I know” he said, popping the cigarette between his lips and waited for Kyungsoo to light up before he passed over the lighter.

He sparked up, inhaling the bitter smoke before letting it out in a drawn out breath.

“I thought you’d quit” he said to Kyungsoo, though it didn’t look like he was too bothered, considering the way he was bringing his own back to his lips for another drag.

Kyungsoo shrugged, “I did for a bit. Then that whole thing with Jongin happened at Dae’s party and I was like, man I need a smoke and lo and behold I started up again. I could say the same for you, though”

“I only smoke when I’m drunk” Baekhyun said, “You know that”

“So did I, once upon a time. Does your mum know?” Kyungsoo’s eyes gleamed mischievously.

Baekhyun snorted, “Does she . She’d skin me alive if she found out” he rolled his eyes and let the cool air sooth his warm skin, “How are things with Jongin lately, anyway?”

“I dunno… It’s fine I guess” Kyungsoo told him, “I just want to get over feeling like I do about him. It’s not going anywhere. I mean… I’m holding out for something that will never happen and what good is to doing me, you know?”

Baekhyun looked surprised, “Soo,” he said, “You do realise that Jongin is practically in love with you, right?”

“Shut up” Kyungsoo muttered, stubbing out his smoke and tossing away the , “If that’s true why hasn’t he said anything?”

Baekhyun paused, copying Kyungsoo’s actions, “Why haven’t you?” he asked.

“Forget it” Kyungsoo waved him off, “Let’s go dance. I can hear them playing Queen!”

By the time they had made it back to the others, We Will Rock You was in full effect and they were quick to join in with jumping about and stomping along with Luhan, Yixing and Minseok, who all had a fresh drink in hand, courtesy of some friends that they had made.

They danced themselves into exhaustion and before they knew it the clock had hit four and the lights came on, starling them all into momentary blindness as their eyes adjusted, the bouncers ushering them out as they did as the silence deafened them on their way out into the dark streets.

“Ugh, can we get food?” Luhan asked, dangling off of Yixing’s arm as they walked down towards the closest fast food place.

“Gonna get some ing nuggets!” Minseok announced, dancing to nothing with Baekhyun and Kyungsoo as they made their way inside McDonalds.

Soon enough the food was ordered and they were crowded onto a bench outside, digging in with no shame.

“Baek, call a taxi, yeah?”

“On it” Baekhyun nodded, waving them away as he brought the phone to his ear, “Hiya! Yeah, yeah please.  The clock tower. Uh huh. Okay cool, thanks!” he hung up and grinned at Kyungsoo, who shoved a chicken nugget in his mouth, “On it’s way” he mumbled around it.

“Ugh,” Luhan groaned, shoving his rubbish in the bin, “I don’t feel so good”

“Ahaa, light weight!!” Minseok and Kyungsoo chorused.

Yixing shook his head at the pair as he gave Luhan’s back a rub. It had been an interesting night to say the least.

--

Sehun watched in amusement as Luhan turned over in bed and groaned, squeezing his eyes together as the late morning sun poured in.

“You alright?” Sehun asked, biting back a laugh as he moved towards Luhan with a cool glass of water and a couple of painkillers.

Luhan groaned again, still not opening his eyes, “I feel like death” he said.

“Well, lucky for you, I brought you some magic medicine” Sehun grinned, “Come on, drunk-y McGee, sit up”

“I can’t, I’ll die” Luhan complained, but allowed Sehun to prop him up with some pillows as he managed to open one eye a crack.

Sehun smiled easily as he offered the pills, “Don’t be a baby” he said, “Kyungsoo is up and about as usual. Baek is already at the library studying. Min is at work and Yixing is next door having morning with Junmyeon hyung. You’re the only one being a baby about it”

“I’m the only sane one” Luhan huffed as he swallowed the pills, “And I know for a fact the only reason Baekhyun is up and studying is because Chanyeol is there with him, and he wants to act like he’s all tough and ”

Sehun snorted, “That may be true, but at least he’s up. Yeol did tell me he looks a little rough, and he keeps falling asleep on his shoulder, but point still stands” he shuffled closer to the bed, knees knocking against the side of the mattress.

“Is this where you offer me your shoulder to sleep on and promise to make me tea?” Luhan asked, putting the glass of water on his bedside table.

Sehun opened his mouth to answer, but was cut off by a thumping against the wall from next door accompanied by soft, low moans.

“Christ, do they ever stop” Luhan huffed.

Sehun chuckled, “I think they’re making up for that week that they weren’t talking” he guessed, moving to sit on the bed beside Luhan, who automatically curled into his side.

“They’re giving me a headache” Luhan said moodily, leaning up and pursing his lips at Sehun, who laughed, but complied and bent his head down to kiss Luhan softly.

“I’m sure they’ll stop soon” Sehun murmured against the Chinese man’s lips.

Luhan laughed softly, kissing Sehun again before pulling back ever so slightly, “Oh, baby. You naïve little thing. You have no idea how long those two can go at it. They’re animals”

“Looks who’s talking” Sehun teased, bopping Luhan on the nose lightly with his fingers.

Luhan cracked a smile at that, “That’s different,” he insisted, “I enjoy it when it’s us. I don’t enjoy listening to them going at it when I’m hungover and want to just mope and have my bo- have you look after me”

Sehun coughed slightly at the almost slip, it wasn’t that he didn’t know that they were technically seeing each other. Or that they were technically seeing only each other. It was just that they hadn’t actually broached the subject of labels yet, and Sehun wasn’t ready to say what Luhan had almost said.

Sure, he had come a long way. He could hold Luhan’s hand in public, maybe even share a kiss or two. He had worked hard on coming to terms with his uality and whilst he was pretty comfortable with who he was, he still had a ways to go before he got to that point.

“Hey,” Luhan said softly, his palm coming to rest on Sehun’s cheek, snapping the younger man back to reality. “Hey, I thought I’d lost you for a minute there”

Sehun blinked, “No, sorry. Sorry, I was just…” he coughed slightly, “I’m meant to be the one taking care of you today. Not you taking care of me”

Luhan smiled softly, ignoring the pounding in his head as he moved to sit up properly and look Sehun in the eye, “You are taking care of me” he said, “But if something’s bothering you, then I don’t want you to ignore that just because I’ve got a stupid hangover”

“Lu… Nothing’s bothering me” Sehun said with a furrowed brow. “I’m fine”

“I’ve known you long enough to know that that isn’t true” Luhan said, a firm edge to his voice despite the softness of his tone. “Sehun, if this is about what I… What I almost said…”

“It’s not” Sehun cut him off somewhat sharply, before softening his expression, “It’s not,” he repeated. “I… This issue can’t be the main topic of everything we talk about. Of everything we… We base our… relationship on. I can’t keep doing that to you”

Luhan shook his head, wishing he hadn’t as soon as he did, “Stop” he said, “Stop thinking that what you’re going through is an issue. That it’s the only reason that we’re here. That we’re together. It’s not. Sehun, I like you so, so much. And I know that you like me too. I know you do. That, is why I’m with you, not because I think I can help you come to terms with who you are. Only you can do that, all I can do is support you. So talk to me, Hun. Don’t push me away” he leant in to press his forehead to Sehun’s, his hands on either of the younger man’s cheeks.

“Somehow,” Sehun choked out an upset laugh, “We always end up here”

“Because we both know you’re a drama queen” Luhan joked lightly. “But it’s okay, ‘cause I’ve got you”

“I know you do, Luhan” Sehun sighed softly, “I know you do. So just… Let’s stop talking about me for now, okay? Tell me about your night”

Luhan smiled before pressing a soft kiss to Sehun’s lips and pulling back, “It was wild. I saw Baekhyun bend in ways that I didn’t know people could bend”

That coaxed a laugh out of Sehun, “He’s a pretty talented dude”

“You’re telling me” Luhan chuckled, “I even made some new friends. Couldn’t tell you their names for the life of me, but they seemed pretty nice. I’m like ninety percent sure one of them was on something, but all the same. She was hilarious, and danced like a professional!”

“Ahhh, I see. So now you’re into girls? Should I be worried?” Sehun teased lightly, pressing a kiss to Luhan’s temple.

Luhan snorted, “Oh yeah. I think I’m cured now. I want the girls!” he grinned up at Sehun.

Sehun grinned back easily enough, “I thought I was the one that was meant to be having the uality crisis,” he objected painfully.

“Oh, you are, you are” Luhan breezed over, “But why should I let you have all the attention? Hmm? I mean, sure you have me to help you, but you also have Baek… And Junmyeon and Xing… All the guys, and you’re very pretty Sehunnie… Maybe I just want to make sure all of your attention is on me and not on any of them”

Sehun rolled his eyes as though to let the teasing go, but in the next moment he had Luhan lying pressed against the mattress as he loomed over him, a knee on either side of Luhan’s hips, “But they’re all very handsome, Lu. It’s hard not to give them attention. Especially Baekhyunnie hyung… Have you seen how gorgeous he is? What I wouldn’t give to get my hands on that man” he smirked down at Luhan, a sly teasing sparkling in his eyes.

“Sehun,” Luhan said carefully, “Don’t make me make you regret saying that.”

Sehun’s smirk grew slightly, “Are you in any position to be making threats, Luhan-ah?”

Luhan looked up at him, his eyes raking over Sehun’s face. He was enjoying this confident person that was atop of him. Enjoying Sehun joking about things that only a few months ago would have made him turn tail and run for the hills.

He couldn’t help but smile as Sehun ducked down to kiss him softly once, and then again, and then one more time for good measure.

“Stop grinning when I’m trying to be all intimidating” Sehun whined, shifting so as not to crush Luhan as he buried his face in the older man’s neck.

Luhan chuckled before attempting to straighten his face, though his lips continued to tug up at the edges, threatening a smile, “I’m sorry. I’m very intimidated. You’re very, very scary, Sehun. I’m quaking”

“You ” Sehun barked a laugh before rolling off of Luhan and into his side, pulling Luhan over so that they were face to face with one another on the large bed.

Luhan raised a brow, “You want me to?”

“I’d rather you brushed your teeth so that I don’t have to smell your stale booze breath” Sehun shot back without missing a beat.

Luhan looked mildly offended, “Really?” he deadpanned, “I’m offering up my amazing skills and you’re turning me down?”

“Yes,” Sehun laughed, “Because you’re hungover and I’m not risking you throwing up on me.”

Luhan scoffed, “I wouldn’t throw up! I have ing brilliant control over my gag reflex, thank you very much.” He looked at Sehun with the most serious look he could muster.

Sehun fought down the urge to laugh as he looked back at Luhan, “Trust me, I’m aware of that. But I still don’t fancy taking the chance. I promise I’ll make it up to you when you’re nice and feeling better.” He reached over and ran a finger down Luhan’s nose playfully, “Come on, when do I ever turn you down?”

“All the time!” Luhan objected. “You literally give me the ‘I’m tired’ excuse all the time!”

Sehun did have to laugh at that, “Yeah, only when we’ve already gone like four rounds and I’m absolutely knackered. I may have pretty good stamina, but I can only blow my load so many times in one night, you know,” he shook his head, “It’s not my fault that you’re a completely bastard.”

Luhan raised a brow, “Actually, that is your fault. Do you know how hard it is to be around you all the time and not be able to just be touching you. Or… Other things” he smirked.

“Believe me, Luhan. All I ever want to do when I’m around you is just keep you in my arms all the time. I’ve never really felt like that about anyone before. And, granted, I have had more practice at keeping what I want pushed down and not acting on it, but I’m sure you can manage. You’re a big boy,” Sehun smiled easily, pushing forward to kiss Luhan softly on the mouth, “And anyway, that just means that when I do get to touch you, that it’s all the more worth it”

Luhan let out a soft laugh, it sounded somewhat incredulous, “What did I do,” he asked, “To end up meeting someone as amazing as you? You completely, utterly sappy bastard.”

“I’m not sappy,” Sehun said softly, “I’m just being honest. And I think you’re the amazing one. But I think I already went over that before” he smiled.

Luhan made a soft noise, not really sure what to say to that. He knew that the way he felt about Sehun was something else entirely. It was a feeling of complete and utter contentment mixed with an exciting fear that instead of wanting to run away, he wanted to meet head on to find out what came next.

He reached down and took Sehun’s hand in his own. “I… I hope you know that the way I feel about you… It’s something really new for me. Like, I’ve liked people before, but you’re different. I feel like I can let you see me because I know that you won’t judge me. And I’ve not had that before.”

“Me too, Lu. You’re my lobster” Sehun grinned.

Luhan grinned back, “Wait, are you quoting FRIENDS at me?”

“Maybe…” Sehun laughed, “Is that a problem?”

“Depends… Who’s your favourite character?” Luhan asked eagerly.

Sehun shrugged, “Chandler” he told the older man.

“I’m all about Joey and Phoebe” Luhan laughed. “Although, nobody moved quite like Miss Chanadler Bong”

--

“Alright, welcome back guys. Remember, only English in here! We’ll be working on our reading mostly today by reading a book aloud and discussing what it means.” Kris smiled at the people sat at the desks in front of him.

He was perched on his desk at the front, spinning a white board marker in his hand as he looked over the familiar faces of his Thursday night class, though tonight there were two more faces than usual.

Kyungsoo and Tao sat at the back, pencils ready on their paper to take notes.

“Did everyone read the first chapter?” Kris asked, to be met with a chorus of yeses. “Brilliant. Okay, so can someone tell me what the mood of the book is so far?”

A few hands rose into the air and Kris pointed to a woman in the middle row. She looked to be about forty with a stay at home mother vibe to her. “Well,” she said softly, “So far the mood is… Uh, how do you say, a little low? The main, uh, character is a little g-grumpy. He think that um, that the world is not on his side. And even though it is down, you see that he still care”

Kris nodded, “Alright. And how do we know that he still cares, given that he’s been pretty down?” he asked.

“Um, he… he act like he does not care about people. But he helps them anyway. He give money to the man he works with. And then he… he humours the little girl with the uh, pipe cleaners”

“In English only please, Sooyoung-ssi” Kris pressed softly.

Sooyoung flushed slightly, “Sorry, uh, he… he pretends that he cares for… to make the small girl happy with the, uh… the sticks”

“Pipe cleaners” Kris smiled, “Very good. And what else?”

Sooyoung’s brows furrowed, “Well, even though he acts like she is a… burden, he still runs to save her without even thinking of the… things that could happen because of what he do”

“Consequences,” Kris put in, “When you do something, the result of those actions is called the consequence. And that’s what he doesn’t think about, right? When he runs to push the little girl out of the way of the falling ride. Good Sooyoung, you’re really doing well here. So… Youngmin, tell me about Eddie’s feelings. Not the ones that are outwardly told to us, but the ones that are shown”

Youngmin cleared his throat, “He is a very careful man. He comes off a bit cold. But he really tries to make sure that people are happy and that they smile. Because he has lost things that made him smile and he don’t want other people to lose what makes them smile?”

Kris nodded, “Yes. Yes, that’s right. Eddie is a man that we know has lost something, or someone. We know that he’s pretty much alone in the world and we know that he has become quite cynical because of it. Uh, Kyungsoo, why don’t you pick up from Chapter Two. The first person Eddie meets in heaven”

“Okay,” Kyungsoo nodded, “ ‘ ‘Don’t be afraid…’ The blue man said, rising slowly from his chair. ‘Don’t be afraid…’

 ‘His voice was soothing, but Eddie could only stare. He had barely known this man. Why was he seeing him now? He was like one of those faces that pops into your dreams and the next morning you say, ‘you’ll never guess who I dreamed about last night.’

 ‘[…] Eddie watches a man shovel dirt into a hole. The man says something about ashes. Eddie holds his mother’s hand and squints at the sun. He’s supposed to be sad, he knows, but he is secretly counting numbers, starting from 1, hoping that by the time he reaches 1000 he will have his birthday back.’”

They continued on like that, each person in the room taking their turn to read from the book until they reached the end of the first person that Eddie met in heaven.

Then Kris asked them to close their books with a small smile and looked on Tao to begin the discussion on the chapter.

“What are your thoughts on the Blue Man?” he asked the young feline man.

Tao took a steady breath, “Well, I think that he’s kind of important in helping Eddie realise that there are things we do in life… Even tiny things, that can have very big impacts. He… He is there to help Eddie realise that the things we do… It doesn’t only effect us. It effects many people and even people we might not have… uh, known very much”

“Very well, might not have known very well,” Kris corrected with the patience of which only a teacher could possess. “Good Tao, you’ve understood the theme of the chapter very well. So, who can tell me why the blue man isn’t bitter about the accident that killed him?”

A boy put his hand up and Kris nodded for him to answer, “Well,” the boy said, “The blue man said it himself. It was because Eddie was able to keep living”

“Of course, yes, but why else?” Kris asked.

The boy frowned, “Because… He… Even after he lived a sad life, he managed to find a place where he fit in. And when he was looking back on his life and he saw that many people came to his funeral, he realised that even if he was shamed and made to feel like… like an outsider, he saw that people still cared even if they didn’t know him. And he died with a knowing that he still lived a good life despite of all the bad parts”

Kris made an appreciative gesture, “Good, good. Okay, what about-” Kris broke off as the bell rang and everyone began to gather their things, “Okay, for your homework, please write a thee page essay on the blue man and his impact on Eddie’s feeling about dying. See you on Tuesday night!”

Kyungsoo and Tao made their way to the front of the room as everyone left, leaving just the two of them and Kris.

“Good class, Kris” Kyungsoo smiled.

Kris grinned back, “Didn’t I say only English in here?”

Kyungsoo snorted, “Sod right off, you’re not teaching now. You’re just my dumb friend at the minute”

“This dumb friend won’t be buying you coffee if you don’t zip it,” Kris laughed, grabbing his coat and leading the way out of the room, stopping only to lock up behind him.

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes but followed after Kris as the tree of them made their way out of the building and out into the chilly winter air.

“Christ, it’s colder than I thought” Kyungsoo complained as he pulled his scarf up over his mouth to avoid the cold.

Tao nodded in agreement, “I feel like my fingers are gonna fall off” he sighed, though smiled slightly as Kris slid a hand into his as they walked and then popped them both into the pocket of his coat.

“So…” Kris started a little too casually, side-glancing Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo eyed him wearily. “What?” he asked.

“I was just wondering how things are going with Jongin?” Kris shrugged, turning the corner towards the coffee shop they were headed to.

Kyungsoo frowned, “What are you talking about? Things are fine with Jongin?” he said confusedly pushing open the door to the coffee shop and revelling in the warms that blasted over him.

The three of them shuffled inside, glad to find it pretty empty given the time of night. Tao detached himself to go and order their coffees whilst Kris and Kyungsoo moved over to sit at one of the booths.

“No, but like, when are you going to make a move?” Kris sighed in frustration, “It’s blindingly obvious that you guys are basically in love with each other.”

Kyungsoo scoffed, “I don’t know what you’re talking about” he said glancing down at his hands as he toyed nervously with the end of his scarf.

“Bull,” Kris rolled his eyes, “I mean, come on, Soo. He’s like… Like the Magnus to your Alec!”

“Are you trying to say that Jongin is a very glittery, free-wheeling biual warlock?” Kyungsoo asked, a slightly amused smile playing over his lips as he looked back up at Kris.

Kris shook his head, “No,” he said, “I’m saying that you’re a dark, brooding gay man that’s spent too long denying himself the chance to be happy.”

Kyungsoo raised a brow, “I’m bi though.”

“I love that that’s all you took from that” Kris deadpanned.

Kyungsoo looked thoughtful, “Also, I’m not broody” he added.

“Well…” Tao’s voice moved over them as he slipped into the booth beside Kris with a little wooden block with a number on it.

Kyungsoo shot him a pointed glare, “No,” he said simply.

“Sure thing, Mr Lightwood” Kris grinned.

Kyungsoo turned his glare to the eldest of their trio, “Literally get ed by a cactus” he huffed.

“Did I show up at a bad time?” the waiter asked uncertainly as he stood to the side of their table, baring a tray of drinks.

Kyungsoo looked up at him sheepishly, “No, sorry. I just have stupid friends”

“Ah,” the waiter nodded, “Well maybe some coffee will help. I have a hazelnut latte?”

“Mine” Kyungsoo smiled as the waiter popped it down in front of him.

“Uh, black coffee with a shot of caramel?”

“That’s me” Kris nodded and accepted the drink with a thank you.

“Guess that leaves the hot chocolate, extra whip for you, then” the waiter smiled and placed the drink down in front of a gleeful Tao. “Is there anything else I can get for you?”

With a polite no as their answer, the waiter gave them a small smile before taking his leave.

“So, are you gonna just tell him then, or what?” Tao asked, spooning the cream from his hot chocolate into his mouth.

Kyungsoo groaned, “Why is this all we ever talk about?” he asked, “What are we, thirteen?”

“Nah,” Kris smiled, “A thirteen year old would have the balls to confess that he likes someone”

Kyungsoo scoffed, “Oh yeah? So why hasn’t Jongin said anything then, if you’re so sure that he’s into me?”

Kris shrugged, “I mean, you’ve met him. He’s kinda… awkward. Seems to me like if anyone needs to make the first move, it’s you. And I don’t mean when you’re pissed” he added with a  smirk before sipping at his coffee.

Kyungsoo looked like he was torn between screaming and hiding away forever, “How do you know about that?” he asked quietly.

“Jongdae has a big mouth” Kris laughed, “Man, you don’t have to be embarrassed about it. We all do it. I’m surprised Jongin was able to keep his head on straight after that. Even I don’t think I could turn you down if I were single”

Tao shot him a look for that, making Kyungsoo laugh slightly as Kris tried to right the situation again.

“All I’m saying, is that when push comes to shove, do you like him enough to take the risk?” Kris said, placing a placating hand on Tao’s knee as the younger went back to his hot chocolate contently.

Kyungsoo sighed, “I don’t know” he admitted. “Maybe. But let’s not talk about it for now, alright?”

Kris hummed, “Whatever you say, kid” he relented.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Hello friends,
Chapter four is now up and running.
Sorry for the lengthy gaps between updates, work is kicking my arse right now.
Nonetheless, drop me a comment and let me know what you thought :)
Until next time<3