four

Hearts Full Of Love

I was helping my mother in the kitchen when I heard laughter coming from the living room. I stuck my head out by the door, and took a peek at what was going on. My father and Wonho were huddled together on the sofa. They were watching something on Wonho's phone. After being deprived from watching anything (our old television apparently broke down last week) it didn't take long for my father to be hooked on whatever they were watching.

I placed a tray of freshly baked cookies on the coffee table, and sat down beside Wonho. "And what are you guys watching?" I asked them.
"Running Man." Wonho replied, he handed the phone to my father, letting the old man enjoy by himself. He then grabbed a cookie at the table, and took a huge bite out of it. "Hmmm....sooo good!"
I unconsciously brushed the crumbs that fell on Wonho's thigh. My hand staying there a few seconds too long.
Then my father cleared his throat, like he was announcing that he was still sitting right there.
I pulled my hand away, and snatched a cookie instead. Without noticing that I shoved a huge one in my mouth, a whole one at that, I started choking.
Wonho patted my back to help me, and he stayed rubbing my back until I recovered. This time around my father didn't pay us no mind.
Then my mother called out to us from the kitchen, our Christmas lunch was ready.

We stuffed our faces with the scrumptious meal my mother had prepared for us. I swear, I felt my pants tighten a little after that.
In all my years of existence, I've only pictured this scene in my head, that I would get to spend Christmas with my family and with the person that I love. It's the most wonderful feeling.

But the thing that surprised me the most, was how well Wonho was getting along with my father. They connected just like that. My father even started sharing stories back when he was younger, some of them I've only ever heard until now. Wonho had a knack in making anyone feel comfortable around him. That trait was one of the million things I admire. I never thought that his magic would smoothly work on my father too. He truly was gifted in that department.


*


My father and I were sitting by the sofa again, this time sipping on tea. Wonho was in the kitchen helping my mom with the dishes. My mother said it wasn't necessary, but Wonho insisted to give a hand, it was the least that he could do for their hospitality.

"How are you Son?" My dad asked me, when he was done with his cup of tea.
"I'm good Dad. And you?"
"Well, I'm just the same old me. I miss watching my favorite drama though. The poor TV couldn't handle it anymore."

His dilemma made me laugh, my father was such a couch potato. "Dad. I could always buy a new one for you, you know."
"Really? Well, I wouldn't stop you. It's not everyday that I get to have a television from my son." My dad laughed this time. It was a hearty laugh that I've never seen him do before.

There was something different about my father. The atmosphere around us used to be tense and awkward, but now it's more relaxed and just kind of chill. He even makes little jokes now.

"Well, you can always ask me for anything Dad."
"Yeah, I know that son." Dad turned his gaze at me, "So, how's Minhyuk doing these days?"
"He's doing great. He's living with his girlfriend. So now I'm living w---" I stopped myself when I realized that I haven't told them that I was living with Wonho. I wanted to smack myself right there. Hoping against hope that my father didn't catch that last thing.
But then he asked, "With who?"
"With who? With who what? What's that?" I tried to avoid the question, obviously doing a very poor job at it.

"You're living with your boyfriend?" My dad asked nonchalantly, like we were just talking about something so simple, like the weather or the news.
I stared at him in disbelief, my jaw literally dropping. "Dad...y-you know?!"

My father rested a hand on my shoulder, and looked me straight in the eyes. I was ready for him to lash out on me, to get mad and then throw me out of the house.

"Son, your mother and I can never keep a secret from each other. How do you think we stayed married for this long? Honesty is the key." Then he smiled. A genuine smile.

What in the world? So my dad knew about me and Wonho? My mom had spilled the beans even when I clearly told her not to. Oh Mother!

I stared at the ground and said, "Y-You're not mad at me dad?"

My dad let out a sigh, but a smile formed on his face again.
"Son, I'm not getting any younger. And I have stopped making decisions for you ever since you moved out. If it makes you happy, if he makes you happy, then I am happy too." Dad suddenly glanced over towards the kitchen, we could hear my mom and Wonho laughing wholeheartedly, "I can tell that he's a great guy. And I've seen the way you look at each other, reminds me of myself and your mom. You must really love him."
I didn't even have to think about my answer.
"I really do, Dad. I really do love him."

This was not the reality I imagined. I couldn't believe we just had my father's approval. He accepted it. He accepted us. I felt like I was floating in the clouds. It felt like all the weight had been lifted from my shoulders. That day, I couldn't stop myself from grinning like an idiot. Because to be honest I really am an idiot, an idiot in love.


*

It was hard saying goodbye to my parents. But it was time for me and Wonho to go back to our daily lives. It would take a long time before we could visit again, but Wonho and I promised to go back together. My mother had hugged me and Wonho so tightly I could still feel here warmth when we boarded the train. My father had dragged Wonho to the side to give him a one-on-one talk, but I partially heard their conversation. My old man was asking my boyfriend to take good care of me, and give them a call everytime I'm being stubborn and don't listen. I smiled despite myself. When Wonho returned to my side, I pretended that I didn't hear a thing.

When we have settled down on our seats, I looked out the window, then I felt a tear rolling down my cheek.
"What's wrong?" Wonho turned to me with a worried expression on his face.
I wiped the tear on my face with the back of my hand, and sniffed. "I'm just...I'm really happy."
Wonho held my face, then he kissed my damp cheek and smiled, his beautiful smile that I've always loved. "Yeah. I'm really happy too."

My parent's acceptance of our relationship was just too overwhelming for me. I couldn't stop myself from crying. But it's quite okay, because it was tears out of pure joy.
Wonho wrapped his arms around me, and I rested my head on his shoulders. I've never felt this happy before. I wished time could stop and just let me enjoy this moment for as long as I can.

Wonho held my hand over his lips, and then kissed it gently,
"Next Christmas, we're going to my parents' house."

I looked up at him in surprise but I smiled nonetheless. "I'm already excited."

We went back to our apartment with tummies stuffed with food, and with hearts full of love. 

 

 

 

-------

 

 

​​​​