Set you at ease

Primordial claw
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Back entrance to the facility, Ibis island

10:35pm

 

“Tch… no such luck”- Nayoung clicked her tongue, closing the door that led towards the storage room as she exited it.

She had hoped that, unlike before, something of use would have been there. That had been the only reason for her return to the back entrance, exposing herself to any lurking predator. Out there the only other path she had was the one that goes towards the cargo elevator and she was sure there would be nothing of interest for her there.

There was little else of the first floor left to check. Back on the management office hallway she had doors that led towards the strategy room, the locker rooms and, of course, the toilets.

The first one of them needed an ID card to get in to – she had already tried, to no avail, to force the lock – and she doubted there would be anything helpful in the toilets. That left the locker room as the only place left to be searched.

Unless she wanted to go outside. Nayoung pondered over the idea for a seconds, letting herself rest against the guard’s cabin, though she wasn’t too keen on it.

The front entrance of the facility was locked and, either way, it only led towards the jungle and the helipad.

She grumbled, for all she knew the two discs needed to access the labs on the floor 1B could be inside of a dinosaur who had the providence of dining raw scientist that particular night. It was a wild goose chase and she hadn’t got a single clue as to where to look next.

This was starting to get out of control, Minkyung hadn’t responded the radio calls after she went through the locked door and Nayoung couldn’t ignore the growing feeling of anxiety at the pit of her stomach.

Her team was MIA, the team from the united states was MIA and now her girlfriend and most valuable ally had succumbed to the same fate. To make things worse, Sowon had the longwave radio so there was also no way of calling for backup.

She was trapped, along with the other two girls, on a nightmarish island without a single hope of making it out alive. She had ammo to spare, yes, but how much would it last when she was facing creature after creature and their numbers seemed to have no end?

How much time until she made the wrong move and she, the huntress, became the prey?

But she wouldn’t let that happen, she had never failed a single mission and now isn’t going to be the first time. Her orders were clear, find the doctor, corroborate her allegiance to the north Korean government and take her out of the picture. Recovering all the data belonging to the third energy project was the main objective.

In the path towards completing it everything, and everyone, was expendable. If she had to forego the search for Minkyung then so be it. The data would return to the mainland even if that meant she had to be the only one to make it out alive…

She separated herself from the slim metal wall, moving towards the door that led inside, when said door opened, emitting a loud creak due to its rustiness. Nayoung acted fast, bringing her assault rifle up and training her sight on the door.

“It’s me! Don’t shoot!”- Nayoung the recognized the blonde hairdo immediately and struggled to keep her cool for a second.

She had always disliked disobedient people, Minkyung being the only exception.

“What are you doing here? My orders were absolute; you were to stay ins…”- She said, teeth clenched, but Kyungwon didn’t’ seem to notice the irritation in her voice.

“It’s Siyeon! She left the control room and went upstairs!”- The blonde spoke hurriedly, stumbling with words, but it was enough to erase Nayoung’s annoyance - “I don’t know why! She told me you contacted her over the radio but then I saw through the cameras where she was going!”

Her brain stopped to process the situation. She had thought Siyeon to be an intelligent girl when it came to survival. She would even go as far as to say the girl had impressed her when they first arrived. So what would lead her to commit such a stupid act?

“That idiot… She is going to get herself killed”- The annoyance returned, though this time it was laced with something else, apprehension? Fear? She did not know herself - “Stay behind me at all times, understood?”

Kyungwon nodded quickly and in rapid succession, moving behind Nayoung as both of them entered the building, hurrying towards the main entrance.

 

-----------------------------------------------------

 

Chief’s room, Facility 2F, Ibis island

10:46pm

 

The rex roared once more but Siyeon didn’t budge, keeping her arms around Kyla at all times.

She hoped with all her might that it wouldn’t be painful, but based on the scream Luke let out as he was being chewed alive, she sincerely doubted that. The putrid smell of the creature’s breath assaulted her nose again and Siyeon had to bite her tongue to not flinch.

There was a low rumble of things, mostly glass and wood, as the giant head started to move. She still had her gun, though there was no way a tiny handgun would be able to stop the colossal force of the rex.

“I’m sorry”- In those last seconds, Kyla, who was still on her knees, murmured. The girl probably blamed herself after all that happened.

Too bad Siyeon wouldn’t be alive to reassure her soon enough.

She closed her eyes and waited for it.

Or at least she was about to since an unexpected uproar made her turn her head towards the door, which she had left unlocked, as Nayoung entered the place, kicking it wide open. She said nothing and instead raised her assault rifle to her shoulder height, opening fire on the unsuspecting dinosaur.

Some bullets ricocheted off of the hard scales, other seemed to dig into the exposed flesh. There was another roar, this time even stronger than the last, and it managed to break Siyeon out of her stupor.

“Get up! Get up!”- Kyla seemed to react this time as Siyeon urged her to stand up. This was their chance to make a break for the door.

They didn’t get too far, as the Rex tried to maneuver its head but was unable to do it given the small space the room offered, the ancient creature seemed to realize this, as it resorted to bashing the door to try and take out Nayoung, using its massive snout to ram it, which ripped it off its hinges. Nayoung would have had every bone in her body broken had she not jumped back in time.

The walls cracked but resisted the impact, and a weird security mechanism activated, sealing all the windows on the hall Siyeon had gone through to get to the office. Likewise, a sturdy metal barrier started rising from a gap between the window and the outside, but it couldn’t overwhelm the tyrannosaurus’ muscular neck, which pushed it back down.

“What are you waiting for?! Get out of there!”- Nayoung entered the room again taking advantage of the situation, all while screaming at Siyeon.

Siyeon tried again, holding Kyla’s hand with strength, while the giant dinosaur was occupied trying to stop the metal barrier from raising. Nayoung constant fire helped, as it seemed to be putting the carnivore through a lot of pain, which served to disorientate it.

Siyeon rushed towards the door, jumping over glass and wood on her way, as she dragged the still stunned Kyla. She didn’t look back, not even when she heard the animal’s jaws snapping again, as she entered the hall.

She kept running and running, stopping only when she had reached the door that led towards the front entrance, and she didn’t stop because she wanted to – she would have run, and swum, all the way to South Korea if it was necessary just to escape that place – she stopped only because someone made her.

She was forcefully turned around, facing Nayoung.

“Boss, Nayoung, I…”- She didn’t get to finish, Nayoung’s left fist made contact with her cheek, throwing her off balance, she would have fallen if not for Nayoung roughly grabbing her by her suit.

“Disobey me one more ing time…”- Nayoung growled, making the threat only audible to Siyeon - “And I swear I’ll leave you outside to be lizard food…”

“You don’t understand! I…!”- Siyeon tried to speak yet Nayoung didn’t let her finish.

“I don’t care for your excuses”- The girl released the hold she had over Siyeon, letting her fallback against the wall, before she turned towards Kyla, who hadn’t said a word yet - “What’s your name?”

“She is Kyla”- Siyeon spoke up again, though with certain apprehensiveness after witnessing Nayoung lose her temper.

“I asked her, not you”- Nayoung didn’t even turn to look back at her, dismissing her instantly - “And I’m not going to ask nicely anymore, name and profession. Now”

“Boss…!”- Siyeon moved in between them, obstructing Nayoung’s view of Kyla. Nayoung’s eyes opened like platters, irate, as she tightened her right fist, probably about to give Siyeon another punch, when Kyla herself started speaking.

“I’m Kyla, Kyla Massie”- She said, dryly - “I… I don’t work here… I’m from the states”

Siyeon noted that Kyla was still shaking and she didn’t blame her in the slightest, anyone would be completely traumatized after what they just experienced. Losing someone dear to her and barely escaping death

“Then what are you doing here?”- Nayoung didn’t seem to see that, since she immediately started questioning the younger girl.

“I… I came with my brother, he is… was, one the scientists that helped with the creation of the third energy…”- Kyla was struggling to get her words out. - “I was just visiting when… when everything happened…”

“If he was a researcher then… do you know where the lead researcher is? Do you know how to access the labs?”- This seemed to spark something in Nayoung, who became more assertive.

“No… I’m sorry…”- Kyla looked down and, for a moment, it seemed that she’d start sobbing again. Siyeon had to bite back the urge to console her.

“Only useless information…”- Nayoung incisive answer only made things worse, and Siyeon couldn’t help but to talk back.

“Boss, her brother just died in front of her, please…”- She pleaded, hoping that Nayoung would at least back off for a bit.

“We aren’t here to babysit anyone soldier, our orders are to get the scientific personnel out of here… not some random city kid…”- Though Nayoung made it clear that she did not care - “I’ll not go out of my way to secure a civilian, our priority is the lead researcher Kang…”

There was a pregnant silence and Siyeon struggled to find the correct words to answer, if there were correct words at all. For a moment she feared that Nayoung would end up leaving Kyla to fend for herself.

However, Nayoung, who had closed her eyes and seemed to be deep in thought, ended up relaxing her stance. She sighed before she spoke again.

“That being said, she can come with us, but she’ll be under your watch”- Siyeon had the urge to smile for a moment - “Whatever happens to her is your responsibility from now on…”

“Yes! Thank you!”- Siyeon saluted, though it came out somewhat awkward.

“Now follow me, I’ll be taking you to the control room”- Nayoung turned around, motioning for the two girls to follow her - “And this time, you better stay there…”

Only then did Siyeon realize two things. One, that the room lights were now on and two, that there were many raptor bodies lying around. She counted around five of them, almost stepping on one.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter