Chapter 4

A Hermit's Harem

When you're sitting in class the next day, you feel as if you're seeing your own reflection. The other kids are playing with their phones under the table and secretly whispering when the teacher has her back to them.

Since yesterday, you feel as if you had a revelation, some kind of divine intervention that made you realize just how immature you are. The way that your sister and her friends felt light years away, even though they're just one or two years older than you, it really gnawed at your self-esteem. You now felt as though you were privy to some club, a secret association of people who had experienced what being an adult felt like. Somewhat.

You had apologized to your sister again, not really telling the truth that there was someone that you wanted to see again. No, you conveniently omitted that fact. Instead, you blamed it on your obstinance and offered to do some of her chores.

You two didn't reconcile however, because your sister just gave you a fiery glare, something that she definitely inherited from your mom, and told you to leave her room.

Sighing, you try to get rid of the happenings from yesterday that cloud your mind. You prop your head on your hands and stare at the front of the classroom, but you're not really looking at the differential equation the teacher is explaining right now, instead your thoughts go back to Saturday.

Jb's flirty comments. Youngjae's cold exterior and his warm actions. Bambam's absence from the party.

You shake your head and try to focus on the teacher again. School is definitely more important than boys, even when they're are handsome.

**

You're on your way home when your phone rings all of a sudden. You look at the screen and don't recognize the number. Instantly, the most horrible scenarios flash in your mind and you quickly pick up the call.

"Hello?"

"Hey. It's me, Bambam. You remember me, right?" You hear a laugh from the other side of the line and it makes your heart flutter.

"I got your number." He laughs. "I hope you don't think it's creepy, but dancing with you was fun..."

You stand still in the middle of the pavement, unable to say anything.

"Oh god, if you didn't actually like it, I'm sorry... I'll just..."

Bambam sounds dejected, like you just singlehandedly destroyed his spirits. You quickly cut him off, "No, no, I did like it. Too. I mean, dancing with you was fun."

Red blossoms on your cheeks and you wonder of Bambam feels as awkward as you do right now.

"Do you want to go on a date some time?"

The question knocks the air out of your lungs. Bambam sounds sincere and completely earnest and your heart aches, because even though you've thought about him so much, you're not really sure if you actually want this. This. Him. Going on a date.

You can hear Bambam clearing his throat and you curse your indecisiveness. Screw it. Then you quickly open your mouth and the words stumble out almost involuntarily, "I'd love to."

"Yeah!" You can hear Bambam cheering into the phone triumphantly, all sorrow gone from his voice. Your heart leaps to unimaginable heights.

Then, as if he tried to curb his enthusiasm, he coughs a little.

"What about the movies?", he suggest. "We can see whatever film you like."

His voice sounds sweet. Considerate. You can imagine his handsome face, eyes twinkling with mirth.

"Sure!", you breath into your phone. "I'd love to." Probably.

Bambam continues to make plans, asking you what day and time would be convenient for you, pausing every time to make sure that you're still on board. And you do try to throw in your own comments, but your head is spinning like crazy and you just nod absentmindedly to everything he says.

"Ok, so I'll pick you up tomorrow."

You're ready to hang up and continue walking home, but Bambam hastily stops you, "Wait!"

You press your phone closer to your ear. You can hear him taking a derp breath. "What color are you going to wear?"

Color? "Um, I don't know...", you stutter. "Blue, maybe?"

Bambam laughs. "Good, that's my favorite color."

**

You're still dazed when he hangs up, taking small steps while looking at your feet.

You replay the conversation of the last minutes in your mind. Bambam's giddy excitement.

But after a few minutes, you notice something else. Something weird. Bizarre. You didn't even give him your number last time, where did he get it from?

You take another step and look at your sneakers. Aren't you supposed to be excited?

You finally reach your house still thinking about it and open the door with your key. You enter to see Suyeon putting on her jacket.

Suddenly, everything clicks.

"You gave Bambam my number?"

You stare at her with disbelief and she scoffs at your accusing tone, putting on another shoe. "And if I did?"

She changes into a belligerent stance, her arms crossed. "Look, if you have a problem with it, just ignore him. Not like I did something forbidden. And you two seemed to hit it off, so...?"

Suyeon's words are fired like bullets. Your defense crumbles and she sees it.

"Anyways, I have to go now. I'll text Dad but tell them for me that I'll be back by nine, ok?"

She flips her hair and turns around.

"Wait", you interject, stammering. "I would have been nice if you had at least asked for my permission befo-"

"Ok", she cuts you off, looking over her shoulder to give you an eye-roll.

Then she shuts the door in your face and you're left staring at it helplessly.

Giving your number to Bambam was uncalled for, even for your sister and you still brood over it while you put down your backpack.

Maybe, she was just trying to be nice. After all, you did hit it off with Bambam. Dancing with him was fun. Maybe, you should be thanking Suyeon instead.

You shake your head from thinking too much and decide to head to the bathroom to wash your face. Even if you were to confront Suyeon with it later, she would probably get mad. Something that you could do without.

**

"So, what film do you wanna see?"

Bambam is fashionably dressed: blue turtleneck and jeanjacket. He's wearing his hair down today and you almost smile at the cute and innocent look it gives him.

He had picked you from your house, confessing that he is nervous, but after a few minutes, he had warmed up and was back to being the Bambam you knew again.

You meet his eyes and he laughs, "No preference?"

Your cheeks turn warm and you shrug. "As long as it isn't horror..."

You are truly a scaredy cat. Every movie just remotely involving maimed body parts or anything close to resembling blood frightens you.

"Romantic comedy or action?", he asks, staring at you. Waiting for a reaction. A reaction that shows what you would like to see.

You stifle a giggle, "Romantic comedy would be too much, wouldn't it?"

Bambam laughs again, warmly, "Action it is, then?"

You nod and the both of your head to the sales counter. Bambam offers to pay for your ticket, but you insist on paying for yourself.

Then, you look at the line for the food. You definitely want to get popcorn, maybe some chocolate, too.

"Didn't you notice something?", Bambam asks and you look at him questioningly.

"Notice?"

He wiggles his eyebrows and makes a cute face, but you still don't get it.

"Should I give you a hint?", he teases and you bite your lip, stopping him before he can give you a clue.

"Your hair is different, today?", you guess with uncertainty.

Bambam laughs again and his eyes crinkle. His mouth curls upwards. He touches the nape of his neck and angles his head.

"You're wearing it."

You look down at your clothes to realize that you're wearing blue. Bambam's favorite color. You look up and stare right into his eyes, caught by the dark brown.

Suddenly turning shy, you look down again. It feels like having broken a spell. "You're wearing blue, too."

"We're matching." Bambam laughs. "It's not too awkward, right?"

You shake your head. Is it just you or is it getting really warm in here?

"Ah, let's just buy the food", you quickly switch the topic and wander off to where the food is.

Bambam follows you quickly and takes your hand, "Don't run off."

You blush and he must have noticed, but he doesn't comment on it.

You get some sweets and a shared bucket filled with popcorn. Bambam insists on paying this time and hands the men the money before you can even get out your wallet.

The both of you stroll to your hall and a woman rips something off your tickets. You're allowed to go inside.

The lights are still on and Bambam takes a look at the ticket, "Row H."
He turns to you. "Is it ok for you? It's a bit far from the screen."

He sounds concerned, probably because he is tall and can look over everyone's head, whereas compared to him, you're a midget.

"Yeah, it's fine", you mumble.

Bambam gives you a smile and leads you to your seats. Before you can sit down, he takes off his jacket, "Wait a second."

You stare at him in confusion.

He motions for you to sit down and you do so. Your skirts rides up slightly, showing a bit of skin, and you pull it down. Then Bambam lays his jacket over your thighs and you blush.

"You're still so polite", you marvel quietly and with embarrassment. You straighten out the wrinkles in his jacket with your fingers until Bambam takes your hand into his.

Watching an action movie was the right decision, you think to yourself. You already have enough heart fluttering moments in your own life.