Chapter 2

A Hermit's Harem

Your sister doesn't wake up before noon next day. Thankfully, she didn't throw up, but she fell asleep in the car on your way back home and you and your father carried her inside.

When she finally comes down the stairs, you're already washed up and dressed, sitting at the dinner table with some notebooks and folders spread out. You have your glasses on, focusing on a work sheet about the citric acid cycle.

Your sister snorts seeing you with your glasses and then holds her head. She murmurs some incoherent curse words and walks into the kitchen, probably to get an aspirin.

"Where are mom and dad?", she asks from the kitchen. You hear the sound of the fridge closing.

You look up from your work. "They went out for a meeting. They'll be back a five, though."

Your parents can get really busy some times. Working. Traveling. In a way they probably thought it was good for the two of you. You would grow up to depend on each other. Truthfully, you both just mind your own business.

Your sister comes back with a half empty bottle and an aspirin. She's still wearing a frown and some mascara, that you couldn't get off last night, is clumped on her lashes.

"Have they bought the lipstick already? And why aren't you studying at the library?"

You give her and look as she takes a seat on a chair.

"It's a Sunday." The library isn't open today and neither is the makeup store.

"Whatever", your sister sighs, popping the pill into the water. It sizzles as it dissolves, producing tiny bubbles.

You turn your head back to your work sheet, trying to focus on the intricacies of the citric acid cycle instead.

***

When the subject of the party comes up at the dinner table, you stiffen.

"You had fun, didn't you?" Your moms nods encouragingly, putting a bit of asparagus onto her plate.

Everyone turns to you, expecting an answer. Are you finally done with being a hermit?

Stuffing a fork of chicken into , your sister sighs. "As if she's ever gonna change, mom", she says while chewing.

You ignore her and think back to the question. Fun. Did you have fun? Blond flashes in your mind. Hot and cold. You're reminded of a certain guy and your cheeks turn red immediately.

"I did have fun... I guess." You look at your mom remembering the way your feet hurt. Remembering the way he looked at you.

Your mom claps into her hands excitedly. "That's great! What about next week then?" She turns to your sister. "There is another party soon, right?"

The reaction of you and your sister are very similar. You both look at your mother in shock. Your sister's expression turns sour quickly.

"Mom, I'm not taking care of a toddler again." Her voice has a certain edge to it and you bite your tongue.

"Suyeon", your mother reprimands. "You really ought to be a bit nicer. You sisters are barely doing anything together and I'd like the two of you to have a stronger bond."

Your sister snorts. "Obviously, you're taking the side of the baby again."

Your mothers eyes turn fiery and she opens , but your father puts his hand on her shoulder, assuaging her.

It's true in a way: For whatever reason, your mother has always been a bit partial to you, favoring you over your sister while your father tried to give the both of you equal amounts of attention.

"Whatever." Your sister stands up and takes her plate. "I'm in my room."

***

When you're standing in front of another big house, you're almost one hundred percent sure that it's because of your natural inclination to do things that others tell you not to do. But there's another part of you that's yearning. Longing for someone. Ahh. You blush and roll your eyes. You're not here for him. You shake your head instead, blaming your coming here on your defiant obstinance.

Your sister is standing behind you with a grim face. "Just don't bother me", she commands and you nod.

You're wearing skinny jeans this time and a striped blouse. There's a loose thread and you pull it out before you look at your sister again.

"I'll get you when it's time to go home, ok?"

"Yeah..."

You repress a smile and stare at her. Maybe she does care about you after all.

"I'm sorry", you apologize suddenly and her eyes widen before she turns around to fully face you.

"Whatever. Just don't come looking for me."

She flips her hair and struts to the door, pressing the bell. Someone opens it immediately and you recognize the brown haired girl from the last party. She looks even more radiant than before, wearing a low-cut top and dark pants. Her hair is up in a sleek ponytail and she gives you a bright smile.

"Suyeon! Come in you two!"

She gives you her hand. "I'm Irene by the way. The host of this party."

This time, you're prepared when you head inside and hold your breath for a second, before you inhale cautiously. The smell isn't as strong this time, but it reeks of cologne and sweet perfume. The house is dimly lit, a few colorful lights barely do anything to lighten up the room.

"You want a drink?", the girl asks, turning to you and your sister. "My parents filled the whole alcohol cabin before they left. I could probably throw ten parties with this much alcohol..."

She laughs and your sister nods, "Sure."

Irene turns to you expectantly. "And you?"

You hate to disappoint her, but you shake your head. "Thanks for the offer, though. I just want to look for..."

You don't finish your sentence, suddenly embarrassed, but Irene must have picked up on it, because she gives you a wink and enthusiastically grabs your sister's elbow.

"Then let's go get drunk!"

You stare after them as the head to wherever Irene takes them. Your sister is already in a better mood, giggling and swinging her hips.

You hesitate for a second. Even though you tried to convince yourself that it wasn't him that you came for... The person you're looking for. The person you're here for. He's probably going to be on the dance floor, right?

Meandering through the masses of drunk young adults, you reject the drinks that are offered your way with a polite smile. You're not interested.

Then, you spot a head of blond hair. A smile forms on your lips.

He's sitting on a sofa. Alone. You can only see his broad shoulders and his back. He's wearing a dark t-shirt and you feel almost giddy.

You come closer, still staring at him.

Then he turns around and in a matter of seconds, your blood freezes and your heart seems to stop.

The guy you've been sneaking up on isn't Bambam. The guy with nice eyes and a bright smile. The guy who made you smile until your gums hurt. Instead, you're looking into the bored eyes of someone else who is now staring back at you with an unreadable expression.

"I'm sorry", you stutter helplessly, caught like a deer in the headlight.The mole is still there. Youngjae. You remember his name clearly.

"I thought you were someone else."

You hastily apologize again and he finally looks away from you. You take it as a signal that you're forgiven and finally allowed to leave and quickly walk away as fast as your feet carry you.

If there's one type of person you can't deal with, it's people like him. Ones that look at you and you can't figure out what they're thinking. Are they plotting your murder? Are they thinking of something nice to say? You never know.

When you look around again, you realize that you have somehow ended up on Irene porch. Or rather her parents. It looks expensive. Polished white wood. Flowers hanging from the wall.

It's a bit cold, though, and you rub your hands together in an attempt to stay warm. Maybe you should head back inside. But it feels way too nice to be alone again.

You take a deep breath and make a funny face. Sniffing again, you shake your head. It smells like-

"You want one?"

Suddenly, a cigarette appears in your line of vision and you take a step back, nearly tripping over your own feet until a rough hand stabilizes you.

"Sorry, didn't mean to scare you."

You turn around to see a guy with brown hair and pale skin. He has thick eyebrows, a sharp nose and a chiseled jaw. He also looks awfully familiar and you think you might have seen him at the last party. Maybe.

"No, no", you say hastily, your cheeks turning red. "I was just surprised."

He laughs silently and his eyes nearly disappear. It's somewhat endearing. When he opens his eyes again, he's staring directly at you.

"You smoke?"

"No." You shake your head and he fakes a disappointed sigh. "Wow, no one smokes nowadays", he jokes and looks at your blouse until his eyes land on yours. "You look way too innocent anyways. Is this your first party?"

You bristle at his words, puffing up like a blowfish and open your mouth to respond but then he laughs, reminding you of a cunning fox. "I was just teasing you."

You stare at him. Dumbfounded. Stunned by his directness. His weird sense of humor.

"You're probably right, though. I would never smoke in my life", you say after a second and look back at him. "And it's not my first party, but my second."

His mouth curls upwards at your explanation and you feel your heart thumping. Then, he puts out his cigarette in an ashtray and gives you his other hand.

"I'm Jb."

You stare at his hand for a moment, confused.

"You're supposed to shake it."

"Right." Your cheeks turn red and you quickly do so. His hand is warm, although it is cold outside.

Then you hesitantly give him your own first name and wait for his exes to light up with recognition. But they don't. Realizing that you've been staring at him for too long, you quickly avert your eyes.

A few seconds pass until suddenly, a slight breeze hits you, sending shivers through your body. Immediately, there are goosebumps on your skin.

"Wanna head inside?", Jb asks and you nod, a small but pleasant shiver running down your spine as he smiles down at you.