I like him?

There's Nothing to Explain When it comes to Love

The next few days dash by fast. Wake up, Math, stuff, stuff, stuff, ART (my now favorite class), sleep, wakeup, and the cycle goes on. Before I knew it I wake up to an alarm, it reads 10:00 AM. I sleepily look at the calendar next to it.

“Saturday….” I mumble my voice course from sleep. I scratch my head…I feel like I’m totally missing something here. There’s something big today….but I don’t have school. Eh, wonder what it is. Since it’s the weekend, Eun Mi won’t be here. She told me last night that she would leave early in the morning to go back home where she’ll spend the weekend. Even though the dorms are only about twenty miles away from her house, she still gets home sick. I don’t blame her, I would feel the same if it weren’t the fact that I’m not that close to my parents. They’re always away on business trips and even when they are home they're busy fussing over my little brother, Matthew. Matt is 12 years old. He’s almost a teen now but he’ll always be that little 2 year old chubby faced baby to my parents. How annoying.

I get up and stumble towards the bathroom. I brush my teeth and glance in the mirror. A tired looking girl with messy hair and pink hello kitty pajamas stares back. I’ve never been a morning person. I rinse and spit, sighing at the minty freshness of my mouth.  Next I tackle my hair. As I work through the mountain of tangles and knots the thought that I was forgetting something important kept poking at my head. It’s so irritating…like a scratch you can’t reach. What am I forgetting? Is it my parent’s anniversary? Is it Eun Mi’s Birthday? Am I to meet a teacher today? Did I make plans with a friend today? I stop. The light bulb in my brain clicked. Bingo.

“TORA” I exclaimed happily.  I finally remembered what I was forgetting, today is my appointment with Tora! I looked at the clock. Wow...almost 11:00 already! I dash into my closet. My wardrobe is by no means small but it’s not exactly big either. Despite the size, I couldn’t figure out what to wear. I pulled up the nearest shirt and turned to the mirror. Hmm….the shoulders are a little showy, too skimpy. I don’t want to look like a . I take another one and hold it up. It’s really pretty...... maybe….but….nah…it’s too intricate; I don’t want to seem like I spent a lot of time preparing for this. I continue searching for the “perfect outfit” when I finally think to myself.

“Why do I care so much?” I ponder at this for a while… I’ve had a few guy friends before, and I’ve never really had an issue on deciding what to wear. I don’t usually care that much about what I wear in general. Weird, maybe it’s just because Tora is new and I want to be good friends? Lame excuse, but it’ll have to do. I finally settle on jeans, t-shirt and sweatshirt. There we go, casual but presentable. I nod in agreement to myself and spin around in front of the mirror to make sure there weren’t any stains or anything. All of my clothes should be clean, I did the laundry a few days ago but you can never be too sure. My stomach suddenly grumbles, demanding attention. Sorry, tummy. I completely ignored you.

I make my way to the room. I found out a few days ago that there’s another door in the room opposite of our desks on the right side of the room. Funny, I wonder how I missed it earlier. Anyways, inside is a small kitchen. It is adorable: baby blue walls, wooden floors, a small table room enough for two, a stove, and a refrigerator. It is absolutely perfect. Can this dorm get any better? Eun Mi and I had started stocking up on food. So far we have flour, rice, milk, cereal, and sandwich materials. I shrug and get myself a bowl of cereal. While eating I began thinking of the day ahead. Should I clean up the house more before he comes? I look around; the house is pretty neat considering the fact that Eun Mi and I usually don’t stay here very long. Maybe some snacks? Hmm… he’s just getting his side checked by me….but then again snacks are always a must.

I finish eating at around two PM, definitely enough time to make a trip to the market.  Once I got to the nearby grocery I grabbed a basket and headed straight toward the snacks and a new problem protruded my thoughts.

“What snacks do I get?” My eyes widen at the rows upon rows of snacks. All of different color, size, and taste. I start by placing a box of chocolate chip cookies into the basket, yummy. …But what if he doesn’t like sweets….? I take them out. OH, chips! I grab my favorite: Lay’s cheddar chips. But what if he’s allergic to some of the ingredients? I put them back on the shelf.

“UGGHH” I groan “I don’t know what he likes!” my fists tighten in frustration and my eyebrows come together. What to do, what to do… I decided to just get a little of everything. A box of cookies if he likes sweets, a bag of Lay’s chips if he likes salty, hot cheetos if he likes spicy, sour patch kids if he likes sour, along with a bunch of other random snacks. I’m about to head toward the register when I see the frozen goods section. I immediately stop. Ice….cream…… should I? I power walk to the frozen goods, children surround me. We're all looking for that one flavor that we like best...in my case it's cookie's 'n cream. I scan the selection with my eyes. FOUND IT. I reach out to open the door but then stop. “The weather is cooling down…..eating cold stuff in cold weather isn’t the best idea….” My hand reluctantly withdraws

”but then again….” The fingers inch forward

“No…what if he doesn’t like it?” They dart back again

I scratch my head. Who knew a simple grocery store could pose so many difficulties. The kids around me waited impatiently. After what felt like hours I finally made a decision.

“I…want ice-cream” and I grab the cookies ‘n cream

I check out and start making my way back to the dorms. Its 2:55 and I’m going to be late. I hope he’s not there already. I try to quicken my pace but the snacks (especially the carton of ice-cream) slow me down. I have two bags in each hand, maybe I should have reconsidered my load. I’m almost at the dorms when I see Tora. My heart immediately summersaults and my lips curl into a smile as I take my first steps forward. His back is to me, all that is keeping us apart is that big curved wall.

My smile drops as does my heart and my entire body freezes. Standing in front of Tora is a pretty girl with long straight black hair. She’s a slim one, with big almond eyes and a button nose. She smiles lovingly up at Tora. They’re talking. She says something with a sly expression, he laughs. A genuine, real laugh… I’ve never seen him like this before. He looks so laid back and happy…. How come I’ve never seen this side before? My heart suddenly feels like sobbing but I keep myself from letting the tears out. Why am I so sad…?

All of a sudden, she reaches one of her small pale hands out and touches his cheek. They gaze into each other’s eyes. He looks at her as if she’s special, really special. I can’t take it anymore. My stomach is tight and I can feel my eyes moisten, but I can’t take my eyes off of them. It hurts…I don’t want to be here….stop…. My hands feel numb and without realizing, the groceries fall to the ground making a soft crashing sound.  The pair turn to look at me, her hand is still on his cheek, his laughing expression still visible under a coat of surprise.

I look down, embarrassed and feeling broken. My face reddens and my voice chokes.

“…….I…I’m sorry, I’m interrupting you guys.” I bend down to pick up the stuff, but my trembling fingers make it a challenge. I curse myself at my clumsiness and pray that this is all a dream. I quickly stuff the snacks back into the bags, but end up tearing one open.

Someone holds the ice cream carton out to me, I look up. It’s Tora. His eyes have turned nonchalant already…so fast…becasue of me.....

“Here” he says as he helps me gather the other things.

“thanks” I gingerly take it from him, accidentally brushing against his hand, making me blush harder. After we’re done, he gets up and walks back to the girl.

“Mi Young, I have to check up on something. Hang out tomorrow? K?” He looks at her with warm eyes.

She nods and turns to walk away. As she makes her way by me forms a smile but her eyes tell a different story. They aren’t cold…just not welcoming, even a bit warningly.

Right after she turned the corner I lead Tora up to my room. I didn’t say anything and avoided his eyes. My body felt numb as I slid the card in. The door beeped and popped open and I led him in. We put the groceries on the kitchen counter and I sit him on my bed, where he slept the first day I met him. I get my kit and make my way to the bed.

“You can take your shirt off” I said, blushing slightly at my words but still not looking him in the eyes.

I can feel his eyes on me but I don’t dare to meet them. He takes off his shirt and lies down. He was really fit. His muscles were well toned and firm looking. I blush madly but try to ignore it. I noticed that he had taken the sterile dressing off.  There was a dark scar surrounded by bits of purple and blue bruises where the injury was. I gasped. It was a lot better than the first night but still…it looked pretty serious. I’m surprised at how well he hid the pain.

I went to work, first cleaning the wound and applying some liquids and lotions from my kit.  My mind was on the scene earlier. I couldn’t get the image out of my head. The way she touched him, the way he looked at her….the way my heart aches at the memory. What does she mean to you, Tora? What does she mean to you? The question kept rolling in my head.

We never talked once but he kept staring at me as I did my job. Despite my moving mind, I could feel his attention directed at me. It was making me nervous. I dropped the cloth a couple of times and accidentally pressed too hard on his wound, making him grimace.

“I’m sorry” I say quietly. He doesn’t say anything but just stares at me.

“What’s wrong?” he asks gentally. It sounded like he actually cared what was on my mind.

I don’t say anything for a while.

“……….nothing”

I can see him lift one eyebrow from the corner of my eye.

“Nothing?”

I nod. He sighs

“Why are you so quiet today? You’re usually so happy and loud….”

I shrug my shoulder and ignore his question. But it cheered me up just a little hearing that he notices me. I continue cleaning his wound.

“Are you mad at me?”

I immediately shake my head. That was definitely not the answer.

“….I could never be mad at you” I say softly

“Then what’s wrong?” he asked softly. Lowering his head to mine, forcing me to make eye contact with him

“……….why do you care?” He seemed a bit taken back. I watched as his eyes widened then return to normal.

“Because you’re my friend” He said coolly. I flinched…the word “friend” felt like a dagger to my chest.

“Oh…….” I didn’t know what to say. I stared deep into his eyes, searching for some indication that he was lying. Nothing, his words were true. His eyes are full of concern…..they’re full of concern? I blink. Am I dreaming? He’s never looked at me with so much emotion before…my heart races and I can feel the sides of my lips pull into a smile.

“There, done.” I say as I place a large band aid over the wound.

“Don’t move too much, and you can’t let it touch water for at least one whole day.” I instruct. He nods obediently….it’s so cute.

“I should get going….” He put on his shirt.

My sadness overwhelms me again…he’s probably going to hang out with that Mi Young girl….

I look out the window, it’s pouring. Weird, it was fine when we got here….but I’m not complaining.

“No. You can’t, it’s pouring, and we don’t want the wound to get soaked.”

He hesitates. I brought up a good point. I think back on what he said a few days ago, something about not wanting to bother me.

“Do you like horror movies?”

He nods his head slowly, a questioning look on his face.

“You like horror movies…?”

I smile and nod. “It’s a weird obsession of mine. It scares the hell out of me but I don’t know why…I just like them. But I need someone to watch it with me...” I chuckle nervously.

He doesn’t respond so I look up. He’s grinning….at me. His smile is beautiful. The piercing below his lip sparkles, making his face even more (if possible) handsome.  It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside.

 “That’s cool, not many girls like horror movies. Mi Young hates them so I never watch any with her.”

He laughs softly, and rubs his neck. My smile drops. Oh yeah….Mi Young……….

“Is Mi Young your girlfriend?” I ask, a little too cheerfully.  I couldn’t help it. I wanted to know more than anything. He pauses and looks at me, then breaks into laughter.

“Ahahahahaha! No way! She’s my child hood friend. She’s almost like a sister to me. And besides, I don’t even have a girlfriend.” I immediately brighten up at his words, and try to hide my relief. Not only is Mi Young just his friend… But he’s also single…

“Aww, that’s sweet” I say.  I realize how relaxed we suddenly are, how we’re able to talk to each other casually. It makes me really happy.

“I just got the movie Paranormal Activity 3, wanna watch that one?”

“Sure! I saw the trailer but never got to actually see it.”

“Great! I’ll go get the food. You can pop the dvd in if you want. It’s right on the table.”

I went to the kitchen, got two bowls and spoons, the bags of snacks, and of course, the Cookies ‘n cream ice-cream.

When I came back to the room the movie was ready.

“Ice-Cream?"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We sat on my bed and watched the movie, curtains closed, lights off, just the way I like it. At first we were on opposite ends of the bed. By the time we got to the middle of the movie we were basically in each other’s arms. I giggled at the realization. He looked down at me.

“What?”

“You’re so scared you’re basically clinging on to me” I laugh

He gave me a defensive look.

“Aww, now come on, we both know that you’re the one clinging to me.” He ruffled my hair and I laid my head on his shoulder. The state of tranquility flowed through me from head to toe. I loved the way his arms circled around my shoulders. I loved how my head rested on his shoulder so naturally, like a puzzle. I loved the way his sunshine like scent surrounded me. I loved the way we were right now. I wish this moment could last forever.

The movie ended and it was already eight. Our bellies were full from the junk food; we ended up eating the entire carton of ice cream along with most of the snacks I bought.

To my disappointment he had to go.

“I had a really great time” he said. His heavenly voice was melting my heart.

“You sure? You can’t hang out some more?” I begged

“Ahaha, I wish, but I have a shift at the café right around the corner, you should visit some time…” he offered hopefully

I smiled

“I will. I definitely will”

I was staring into his hazel eyes for so long it felt like time had stopped. I couldn’t break my gaze away and neither could he. His phone started vibrating and we both jumped.

“Hello?”

“Where the hell are you? Your shift started twenty minutes ago!”

An angry voice shouted.

“Ah! Sorry, I’ll come right away!” he hung up and turned to me.

“See you later. We should hang out again some time. That was great.”

I nodded enthusiastically earning me a smile from him. Then he left.

The room felt so empty without him here. I walked over to my bed where he had been sitting but minutes ago.  A great big grin spread across my face.

I couldn’t stop thinking about him. There’s something about him. Something about the way he makes me feel. I’ve never felt anything like it before… I like everything about him. I like how happy I get just by looking at him. I like his smile. I like his scent. I like his piercing. I like how cold he is at first but how sweet he is once you get to know him. I like him. For more reasons that I can explain.

I like him. I've never been so sure in my life