How do you know?

There's Nothing to Explain When it comes to Love

The next day passed the same as yesterday. The only difference of course, is seeing Eun Mi sprawled across her bed across from me. Her hair was a mess and her pajama pant legs were rising up. In her arm she clutched a stuffed puppy. I giggle, she’s so cute.

By 8:20 we’re out the door, coffee cups in one hand, bags in the other. I’ve always wanted to do this; I feel so sophisticated and mature! I smile at the thought as we make our way to math. We all take our seats. Mr. Jeong sits at his desk, reading some book. As the bell rings, he gets up, grumbling a bit before clearing his throat.

“Students, today we learn about-“

He was interrupted by the sudden opening of the door. We all turn and I choke on my own breath. Standing in front of the door is none other than the beautiful Tora. The bruise on his cheek was lighter and less defined. The usual unmoved look plastered on his face as he tallies the room.

“Ahem…you are?” Mr. Jeong asked irritably.

Tora looked at Mr. Jeong, his eyes unblinking. “Amano Shinji. I was sick yesterday so I couldn’t come.”

Mr. Jeong narrowed his eyes, mumbling something about children these days and sickness before turning back to Tora and jerking his head toward the seats. “Sit.”

Tora does as he is told. I couldn’t hold it in. I started waving manically, a smile on my face. He turned his eyes towards my direction. Our eyes met but his expression didn’t change. Instead, he turned to the closest seat and sat down. I lower my hand disappointed. Eun Mi tapped my shoulder.

“How do you know him?” she whispered.

I realized that I never got to tell her my story. I gave her the general story, not mentioning my first impression of him and the fact that his wound resembled a stab.

She nodded slowly but you could tell there was something she knew. I looked at her questionably but she only shook her head, pointing her pencil at the teacher as if saying we should pay attention. I pouted but decided that she was right, I don’t want to fail this course.

The next classes passed and it was painting time. I walked in and found Tora sitting in the same spot as yesterday, same lazy position, and same bored look. Girls circled him but I noticed not as many. Some were with their partners from yesterday, already deep in conversation. I sat in the back again and decided that I should forget about the morning incident. Maybe he didn’t see me. The bell rang and Mrs. Choi walked through the door. 

“Hello class. Please get with your partners and find a place around the room to sit. Oh, and grab and sketchbook and pencil near the sink. Today we’re sketching our partners. We did as we were told.  I suddenly remembered Tora’s injury and decided to grab an extra set for him. He had just gotten out of his seat before I handed the sketchbook and pencil to him.

“Thanks” he mumbled.

“No problem. So do you wanna just stay here?”

He nodded his head, not looking me in the eye. He opened the book and flattened out the page. I watched as his right arm dangled near his injury. Every now and then it would gently push up against him. I didn’t notice at first but he flinched a bit every time the two parts touched. I gasp silently. I can’t believe I never thought to check on him afterwards. What if it’s not healing properly??

“…..how’s your side?”  I ask carefully.

He looks at me in the eyes for the first time since this morning.

“I’m fine.” He says coolly.

I say nothing. We stare at each other for a few moments.

“Did you go to the hospital?”

“…no”

“Why not? What if it’s infected?” I ask incredulously. How could he not go to the hospital after such a serious accident?

“I have my reasons. Let’s start sketching, ok?” Something in his voice was sad. It didn’t sound like he was mad or anything like yesterday just….sad.

“ok…but you have to promise me you’ll see me sometime so that I can check on it. I need to make sure it’s ok.”

“No…….I can’t."

"What? Why?"

"Because.......I’m not going to bother you with my problems anymore.”

My eyes widen. Bother me? Wasn’t I bothering him?

“What are you talking about?”

He breaks away from my glance and props his chin on his palm, looking down.

“I….I just. I just don’t want you to waste your time thinking of me.” His palm inches forward a bit to cover his pinkening cheeks. 

“What in the world? No! No, you’re definitely not bothering me!” I say, a little too loudly. The people around us look at me. I turn my eyes down, embarrassed at my sudden outburst.

“I don’t think you’re bothering me, or wasting my time. I want to help you….” My already red cheeks got even darker.

Neither of us says anything for a while.

“Think of it as the ‘payment’ you owe me, k?”  I break the silence. I watch him cautiously awaiting his answer

“………sure” He finally responds.

I smile. He returns it, with just a smudge more enthusiasm than yesterday. We decide to meet on Saturday at 3:00 PM at my place. I gave him my address and we exchanged numbers. For some odd reason my heart wouldn’t shut up with its pounding during this exchange. I felt strangely self conscious as I wrote my information down for him….

We spent the remaining time sketching each other which did absolutely nothing to calm my elephant of a heart. I started first with his face, outlining his fine jaw line and neck. I roughly sketched out his eyes and nose and lips. The more I looked at him, the more he seemed to shine. I didn’t notice I was gazing at him for an awfully long time until he looked up and gave me a confused look.

“Is there something on my face?” he asked as he reached up his hand and brushed it against his lips. I didn’t say anything.

“Gone?” he asked

I nodded. Thank god he doesn’t know the real reason.

I took a peak at his work before he started sketching again. I in a breath, it was utterly amazing. It looked exactly like me. He got the eyes and nose exactly.  I looked down at my work. It was little to nothing. I had a basic outline but nothing else. You could sort of tell it was him but….it’s nothing compared to his. I pout. The bell rings.

“Ok. Everyone bring these sketchbooks with you tomorrow. We’ll will be continueing these.”

We nod in union. I look back at Tora and he’s already getting up and heading for the door. He senses my eyes on him and turns halfway to me and gives me a quick wave.

“Bye” he says before turning and walking out the door.

My heart did a flip.

“Bye…” I say, barely audible.

I pack my stuff and get up. There’s a small mirror near the door. As I passed by it I caught something red in my reflection. I walked back to take a better look. My cheeks were flushed. My fingers went up to my face. What? What's wrong with me? It’s not like I like him or anything…right? I shook the thought out of my head.

Crazy…I just met him. How in the world could I fall for him? I think to myself. I was never one to believe in love at first sight or anything like that. I’ve had friends in the past that would come up to me claiming that they had “found true love”. Funny, about a week ago this girl in front of me had broken up with a guy that also happened to be her “true love”. Goodness affection moves fast these days. In response, I would giggle and hug them and congratulate them telling them how happy I was for them.  In reality, I thought that their words were bull . I’ve always thought that these types of girls were never actually in love. They were simply in love with the thought of being in love.

I sigh. I wonder if I will ever fall in love….?