We meet again

There's Nothing to Explain When it comes to Love

I woke up in the morning to find the mysterious man gone. I rub my eyes. What? Could it be that I had dreamt everything that had happened last night? I walk over; the bed was perfectly made, as if it had never been touched before. I tilt my head in confusion, running my hand along the covers searching for some bump or ruffle indicating someone had occupied it not long ago. Then, something caught my eye. Peaking out of the cover was a slip of folded paper. I opened it and read out loud the beautifully written cursive words:

“Dear Stranger,

 Thank you for your hospitality. I’m sorry for leaving so abruptly but I have commitments that need to be fulfilled this morning. I hope we meet again so that I can repay you for your kindness.

-Amano Shinji”

I sit on the bed and place the slip of paper on my lap. I don’t know why but I felt disappointed. Also, that stab on his side, I should have checked it before he left to make sure it wasn’t infected. I wonder how he’s doing….

I look over at my clock and jump in surprise. It’s already 8:00 AM, my first course starts in 30 min. I haven’t even looked at where my first class, calculus, is located. I quickly jump into the shower and put on a fresh set of clothes. Jeans, a pink baby doll cami, and a white cardigan. I dash out of the dorms towards the building across the street. Luckily the math department is nearby. I walk in five minutes late. I’ve never been late for class before, this is not a good start to college.

“I suppose you’re Ms. Kim?” a low voice boomed. I turn my head and face a small balding man staring at me with emotionless beady eyes.

“Ah, yes, that’s me. Hello Mr….” I look down at my schedule “Jeong”. I reached out for a hand shake. Mr. Jeong looked down at my hand and grunted.

“No time for formalities, find a seat, class has already started.” I blushed and turn around to find a seat. My cheeks heat up, embarrassed, to find that possibly fifty students’ eyes all fixed on me, all having witnessed my failure.

“Psssssttt…!” I turn my head to see Eun Mi sitting in the second to last row. “Over here!”

My face brightens as I quickly make my way to her. From that point on the day went by like a blur: history, language, Biology, etc… With Eun Mi by my side everything was alright, even fun. It’s nice having a friend next to you when starting college. Soon, it was 8:00 PM, time for my last class. Did I mention that you can choose what time you want your classes? It’s so awesome! Anyways, so we split up and I’m going into the arts building when I see the beautiful guy from last night, Amano Shinji. He walks with a bit of a limp but overall, I’d say he’s in good shape. I walk over and tap him on the shoulder. He turns around and I gasp. On his cheek was a bruise the size of a fist. The purpleness of it made it painful to look at. He looks at me indifferently at first, even a bit annoyed at my bluntness but then his eyes widen as he remembers. “Oh, it’s you. Thanks for last night. That was really great of you” His voice carries little to no emotion but I don’t care. My eyes are fixed on his injury.

“What? Do you want me to pay you or-“

“What happened to your face?”

“Huh?”

My throat is dry, “Your face, what happened?” I don’t know why I cared so much, I just did.

He stares at me for a moment before reaching up to touch his bruise only to wince a bit at the contact.

“Oh….this, this is nothing. I just….fell. No big deal or anything.” He turned around and continued walking towards the building.

I follow beside him, eyes still transfixed on the swollen glob.

“Where are you going?” I ask. Like I said before, I don’t have any idea why I even care.

He stops and looks at me then smirks. “Painting class. What? Are you gonna follow me?”

My face lights up, thinking that I had a friend in my next class.

“I am actually, I have painting too. Mrs. Choi, right?” His face drops. Annoyance fills his eyes.

“Look, I really appreciate what you did for me last night but last night was last night. Our relationship ends there. From this point on I don’t know you and you don’t know me, k?”

I look down. I’ve bothered him. Looks like I didn’t make a new friend.

“I’m sorry” I feel my eyes moisten a bit. He sighs and continues walking. I make sure to keep ten feet behind him the rest of the way.

We arrive at the class within minutes. The moment I saw the room my sadness melted and was replaced by wonder. I gazed around the room, it was gigantic. The walls were covered with sketches and paintings, all of them of extraordinary skill. On the left half of the room, a long row of shelves and sinks lined the walls. Brushes, pencils, paints, and other art utensils stacked neatly upon it. In front of the sinks were multiple easels all turned towards a currently empty table. On the other half of the room was a typical classroom with desks and projectors, etc…  Amano and I weren’t the only ones there. There were about twenty some other people standing. All of the girls had their eyes locked on Amano. Even with a giant colored bruise on his face he was strikingly handsome.

“People, people, come here.” A high grand voice called. A tall beautiful middle aged woman stood in the center of the second half of the room. We each took a seat in one of the desks that surrounded her. Amano sat smack in the middle and was instantly surrounded by not so subtle girls. He didn’t seem to notice, as if it happened frequently.  I on the other hand sat in the back, where most of the guys sat, having been displaced by the girls.

“Now, as you all know painting is an art. Not just to the eye but to the soul as well. To be a good artist you can’t simply have skill, you have to be able to put your heart and mind in it, to put on canvas what cannot be described in words.  That is why I have organized all of you into groups of two. I have already chosen the groups. They shall be girl-boy (the girls around Amano smiled wickedly). There is a fairly even ratio so that shouldn’t be problem.” She read off all the names. I waited and watched as people started getting up to find their partners. My name was the last to be called.

“Last but not least, Lilly Kim and….Amano Shinji” I choked. Amano turned his head and looked right at me, clearly not happy with the arrangement.

“Now class, the reason I split you up into these boy-girl groups is, frankly, because I want you to bond with the other gender. I don’t care if you’re already in relationships or whatever, just form friendships, I don’t know. You chose; just form some sort of relationship. Our goal here is passion, passion that can be used to incorporate into your works of art. You see these beautiful pieces on the walls? Each and every one of you is capable of such masterpieces; passion and feeling is the key. Kapish? Now get to know your partner, it’s the first day. Meet a new someone, whatever. Who knows, they may end up to be one of the most important people in your life.” 

Everyone rolled their eyes at the last statement. What in the world? As if trying to set us up is not enough, she thinks that our partners are going to be one of the most important people in our lives. That’s a lot to expect on the first day. We all listen anyway, meeting up with our assigned partners. Amano made no indication that he was moving anytime soon. He was still slouched in his chair, long legs hanging loosely before him.  I took the initiative, walking over to the desk next to him. I can feel the girls in the class shoot daggers at me though their glaring eyes as I make my way closer, but I ignore them.

“Hey” I say softly

He looks at me with the same nonchalant eyes. He doesn’t say anything.

“How’s your side?” I ask him, eyeing the wound.

“Fine.” he has a bored look to him as he crosses his arms and begins observing the room as if I weren’t there.  

I don’t say anything for a while. I don’t understand, why’s he being so cold? I saved him yesterday. Did I do something wrong? Did I offend him in some way? I rack my brain for possibilities. The amount of sound in the room increases. I look around and every pair is deep into conversation, laughing and smiling, everyone except for us. I look down nervously and start picking at my fingers, a bad habit I’ve for a while now. I hear him breathe out heavily and I look up. He gets up and a few strands of his medium length hair falls into his face. He brushes them aside and in the process rubs against his bruise. His eyes squeeze shut and he takes in a sharp breath of air through his teeth, making a small “ssss” sound. I immediately get up and grab his hand and lead him to the nearest sink. The whole room is too occupied in their conversations to notice us. I grab a paper towel, soaking it in water and gently press it to his swollen cheek. He makes no attempt to stop me; instead he looks down, avoiding eye contact. I think I saw him blush a little under the bruise but maybe it’s just me.

As I stand there tending to his wound I noticed that he’s a good deal taller than me. I’m guessing that I reach a little above his chin, almost to his mouth. I never noticed before and blush a little at the discovery. He turns to look down at me and gives me a weird look. I sigh and grab another wet towel.

“Look”, I start. “I’m sorry I was so nosey earlier. I was kind of worried. Yesterday I saw you with the stab and today with this big bruise…”

He doesn’t say anything so I continue talking.

“Can we start over? I really would like to get to know you better.” I put down the paper towel and reach out my hand.

“Hi, my name is Lilly Kim, what’s your name.”

At first he doesn't do anything. I wonder if maybe he didn't hear me. Then, he sighs and looks at my hand with a bit of curiousity then slowly takes it. His soft warm hand engulfs mine sending a shiver through my arm.

“Amano Shinji....... but I prefer Tora.”

“…Tora….” I let the name sink into my mouth. There was something pleasant about the way it sounded.

I look him in the eye and smile. He stares back, and then one corner of his mouth lifts up ever so slightly. My smile grows wider at this and my heart made a thump in my chest. Our hands were still together when the bell rang.

“Class is over, students. You may leave.” Mrs. Choi said casually. Not bothering to look up from the magazine she was reading.

I feel Tora release from my hand. I don’t say anything but I can’t help but think how empty it felt after the lack of contact. I look up to see him already making his way to the door.

“Bye Tora…” I call out uncertain if he heard or not.

He lifted his hand in acknowledgement, not bothering to look back. Though it wasn’t much of a response, it made me happy and I couldn’t wipe that stupid smile off my face for the remaining of the day.