Just One Question

Just a Game

Just One Question

 

Lisa spends the whole weekend wondering whether Jennie will show up on Monday at their usual spot. Although the brunette seems to have warmed up to her, she is still a mystery to Lisa. And even more now, after what she did on Friday.

Sure, to anyone else it looked like another act of malice perpetrated by the 'Jimin's anti-soccer team alliance', and it would have looked the same to Lisa, if not for the conversation she had with Jennie before that match.

As silly and naive as it sounds, Lisa can't help but to feel that Jennie did it so that the match could be put off, and she would be able to play in it. On the other hand, it could have been a mere coincidence. Maybe it wasn't even Jennie's idea to begin with.

Either way, whatever the reason was behind that stunt, Lisa is now mostly afraid that Jennie wouldn't want to confront her about it and avoid their meeting as a result.

So when she sees Jennie on the depleted tennis court, tiptoeing while scribbling something on the green wall, her hearts skips a beat (out of joy, of course). Jennie doesn't avoid her, and that in itself brings a huge grin to Lisa's lips.

Coming closer to the girl, the blonde gets a better look at what she's doing.

There are squares of various sizes on the wall with numbers inside of them. Lisa smiles, recognizing it as a game she used to play with Chaeyoung to help improve their aim.

They would kick the ball at the wall and depending which square it hit, they would earn the corresponding number of points. That was one way to play it. The other was one person saying a number and the other trying to hit the square with that number on it.

Lisa chuckles under her breath, watching as Jennie tries to draw a small square in the top left corner – always the toughest one to hit and worth the most points. She stretches her arms and tiptoes but try as she might, she just cannot reach it.

To be honest, though taller than Jennie, Lisa would also have troubles reaching there. But an idea pops up in her head and before giving it enough thought, Lisa approaches Jennie and wrapping arms around her waist, lifts her up.

“What the hell?! Put me down!” Jennie yells and squirms in Lisa's grip, prompting the blonde to let her go.

“Sorry, didn't mean to scare you.” Lisa puts up her hands and makes a step back as Jennie whips around, spearing her with a glare.

“Don't. Touch me,” the brunette warns her in a voice akin to a growl.

Lisa notices how she snaps the chalk in her palm in half. She gulps. “I just thought you needed a hand,” she says, pointing the wall behind them.

For a moment, Jennie holds her gaze (Lisa isn't sure whether she should stay, or run), but then she exhales loudly, tension leaving her body, and she throws one half of the chalk to Lisa.

“You do it,” she commands and steps away from the wall, folding arms at her chest.

Lisa shrugs and gives it a try. Tiptoeing under the wall in the same fashion as Jennie did a second ago, she manages to scribble a wonky looking 10 at the very bottom of the square.

“There. So how we gonna play it?” She turns to Jennie and observes her as she puts her ball onto the ground then swings her leg and kicks it.

The ball whizzes past Lisa's head, making her flinch, and hits a perfect ten.

“Whoever scores the most points, wins,” Jennie says, gushing with a challenging smirk.

After overcoming her initial shock of being almost decapitated by Jennie's ball, Lisa replies with a grin of her own. “What's the prize if I win?” she throws cheekily.

Jennie scoffs. “Who said you gonna win?”

* * *

Two hours later, Lisa sits down on the ground, wiping sweat off her forehead and cursing under her breath as she sees Jennie score another ten.

“One hundred fifty to one hundred ten. You sure you wanna continue?” Jennie asks, plopping down next to Lisa, the ball tucked under her arm.

Lisa scowls at Jennie's smug expression. It's just a stupid game, but the blonde's competitive spirit refuses to treat it as such. She hates to lose. Especially when it comes to soccer.

“I want a rematch, tomorrow,” she says, sounding like a petulant kid, but she hardly cares.

“Sure,” Jennie says, twirling the ball on her forefinger with an expertise of a basketball player.

In a sudden surge of pettiness (because really, is there something Jennie is bad at?), Lisa knocks the ball off her finger.

Jennie raises an eyebrow at her and snorts a chuckle. “You're a sore loser,” she remarks.

Lisa's response is an indifferent shrug.

She's well aware of it. When she was eight, she lost to Chaeyoung in a game of checkers. And how did she handle the defeat? She took the game and threw it into a trash bin outside her house.

Seeing this, Chaeyoung called her a sore loser. With her limited knowledge of Korean, Lisa didn't even know what it meant, which only further aggravated her. She didn't speak to Chaeyoung for a week.

Now it all seems silly to her. But truth is, she hasn't changed that much. If at all. Thankfully, Jennie doesn't take her bratty actions personally. She even looks amused as the corners of her lips curl slowly upward.

And somehow, that smile is enough to make the bitter taste of defeat fade away. What's left, however, is embarrassment painting Lisa's cheeks red.

(Embarrassment and something else.

Something that tells Lisa Jennie should definitely smile more.)

Jennie stands up and goes to retrieve the ball, her frame glowing in the afternoon sun, and Lisa finds it hard to tear her gaze away from her legs exposed by the loose shorts.

She only does so once Jennie turns around. Her eyes flicker to the frazzled laces of her hoodie, as she absentmindedly toys with them, and she hopes the brunette didn't notice her staring.

When Jennie sits back next to her, the blonde realizes that she finally has her chance to talk to her. The girl seems to be in an exceptionally good mood today. So Lisa hopes she will be more willing to talk as well.

“Jennie? Can I ask you something?” she asks, trying to sound as if she's going to ask about tomorrow's weather, or homework.

But such trivial questions don't require one's permission to ask, and Lisa quickly realizes her mistake. She cringes internally at her choice of words when Jennie frowns at her suspiciously.

“Depends,” the girl mutters, her posture growing visibly rigid, reminding Lisa about the first time they met.

Biting down on her lower lip, the blonde is unsure whether she should continue. She doesn't want to scare the girl off, and frankly speaking, right now, Jennie looks like she's ready to jump to her feet and storm off in the most dramatic fashion.

(Lisa wonders why.

What are the questions Jennie is so afraid of?

And what are the answers to them?)

Eventually, curiosity gets the better of Lisa, and she decides to voice out what's on her mind.

“On Friday, did you--?”

“It was Jimin's idea,” Jennie cuts her off sharply, and just like Lisa predicted, she stands up from the ground.

She doesn't leave, however, and starts to juggle the ball with her feet.

“Right...,” Lisa mutters, hoping she doesn't sound too disappointed.

She passes the ball to Jennie when it slides off her toes and escapes her (she did twenty juggles, Lisa counted).

“It's ironic, don't you think?” the blonde continues the topic, because she still feels something isn't right.

After all, Jennie could tell Jimin that her sabotage would actually bring the team more good than harm. But she didn't.

Jennie doesn't stop her juggling when she asks, “Why?”

“The match was put off. She actually helped us.”

Jennie smirks like she saw it coming. Like she expected Lisa to tell her exactly that, and it's somewhat infuriating.

But it's only when the ball escapes her again (on her twenty-eight juggle) that she faces Lisa and says,

“Nah, you were simply lucky. The referee could have you forfeit the game.”

Lisa's jaw falls slightly ajar and eyes widen in realization.

Jennie is right. They were playing at their school. Those were their students who interrupted the match. Their very own brand of 'hooligans'. The referee could have even assumed it was done on purpose.

A sickening kind of dread settles at the pit of Lisa's stomach as she realizes that they could have lost one of the most important matches without as much as even touching the ball. All because of Jimin.

But that's not event the worst part. Because Jennie knew all about it, and she did nothing to stop Jimin.

Lisa isn't sure whether she should laugh, or cry, at how delusional and naive she sometimes is. So before she does any of these things, she stands up from the ground, dusts off her shorts and her hoodie, and decides to go home.

“Where you're going?” Jennie asks from behind her.

“Home,” Lisa chokes out as tears begin to clog .

“Lisa.”

Jennie's tone of voice isn't even remotely convincing, or inviting, and yet, for some unfathomable to Lisa reason, it makes her stop.

“What?” She whips around, glaring at Jennie who just stares at her impassively.

“I told you already. We're not friends.”

Lisa's palms clench into fists at her sides. Jennie's words are callous, but Lisa knows she can't dispute them.

The girl had told her exactly that, but the blonde decided to disregard the thinly veiled warning of thinking they could be something more than just strangers playing soccer in the middle of nowhere, and naively thought that Jennie was different. And that eventually, they could become friends.

So in the end, Lisa has no one to blame for her current tears other than herself. She can't expect Jennie to suddenly side with her, because from the very beginning, Jennie was clear with whom her allegiance lay - with Jimin and her clique.

Lisa doesn't get it. But at the same time, she knows Jennie won't give her any answers, even if she asks.

And that's what angers Lisa the most about this whole situation. She should just give up on Jennie, right here and right now, before the girl hurts her even more, inadvertently, but still. However, she stupidly refuses to do so.

Not yet. Not until she knows Jennie's true motives behind her actions.

(Why she hangs with Jimin?

Why she stopped playing soccer?

Why she looks so scared and broken sometimes?)

“I have to go study. I have a test tomorrow,” Lisa says as her sobs subside, and she wipes her tears with a sleeve of her hoodie.

Jennie's expression remains cold as she gives a curt nod. “See you tomorrow then,” she says and gets back to juggling the ball.

“Yeah, see you,” Lisa mutters tiredly.

She shoves her hands to the pockets of her hoodie and shuffling her feet, leaves the tennis court.

* * *

Jennie knows she shouldn't be surprised to see Jimin at school on a Thursday morning. Sooner or later the girl had to come back. And usually, her mysterious absences didn't last longer than one week anyway.

However, it's not Jimin's appearance as such that catches Jennie off guard, it's rather the position and place in which she finds the girl.

With one leg crossed over the other, Jimin is sitting on Jennie's desk with Chanmi and Mina flanking her. The sight makes Jennie stop in her tracks the moment she walks into the classroom.

Jimin immediately catches her gaze and grins like a Cheshire cat. “Hello Jennie. Long time no see, hm?”

“Yeah,” Jennie admits as she resumes her walk towards her desk. She sees Chanmi shooting her a dirty look, like she's offended by her presence, but Jennie just ignores it.

“How are you doing?” she asks Jimin and drops her backpack to the floor, before taking her seat.

Jimin occupies half of her desk, and Jennie briefly wonders whether her skirt complies with the school's regulations regarding appropriating clothing.

(Judging by the amount of exposed skin, it most surely doesn't.

But it's not like Jennie should be bothered by that.

And she isn't.)

“I'm great. What about you?” Jimin asks as she tilts her head and swings her legs playfully.

Biting the inside of her cheek, Jennie wonders what the hell is Jimin playing at with this bizarre behavior.

In her peripheral vision, however, she can see that Chanmi and Mina remain unperturbed - Chanmi checking her nails while Mina checking her phone, as usual. So if they don't notice anything out of ordinary, Jennie decides neither should she.

(Unless they know something, she doesn't.

Unless Jimin does it on purpose just to get her on edge.

On edge of something exactly?

Jennie doesn't know.

And doesn't want to.)

She shakes off the thoughts and smirks lightly. “I'm fine, thanks,” she replies just as the teacher enters the classroom.

Mina and Chanmi say their goodbyes and leave to their respective classrooms, while Jimin finally jumps off Jennie's desk. But before she saunters off to take her seat, she sends Jennie a wink.

Jennie frowns at her retreating form, and once again bites the inside of her cheek.

But this time, she does so until she tastes copper on her tongue.

* * *

The spring is in its full swing today. The sun shines brightly on the clear blue sky, prompting students to leave their classrooms and spend their breaks outside. Jennie sprawls on one of the benches near the basketball court. Jimin brought them here to watch Junhoe, Bobby, Jinhwan and Hanbin as they play.

Having no interest in the game, and ignoring Bobby's attempts to impress her with his tricks, Jennie simply enjoys the sunlight and observes her surroundings.

(She doesn't look for anyone in particular.

But when she catches a glimpse of blond hair, her breath hitches involuntarily.

It's a false alarm, however.)

Jennie breaths out slowly, and her gaze veers to Bobby. His messy bangs falling into his eyes, and he breaks into his signature goofy grin as he scores three points and high-fives Jinhwan. But as he catches Jennie staring at him, his smile dims a little, changing into a softer one.

Jennie thinks he looks kinda cute.

(But not as cute as...)

Smiling back at Bobby, Jennie decides to talk to him later. She still needs him. Maybe now more than ever. Chanmi and Seolhyun have been already asking her about them. And it's a matter of time before Jimin decides to use it against her as a ruse in one of her mind-games.

“Chanmi told me about your little stunt on Friday,” Jimin's voice catches Jennie's attention. The girl sidles up to her, their thighs almost touching. “She made it sound like it was her idea.”

Jennie focuses her gaze on Bobby, on his toned arms and sharp jawline, and doesn't say anything.

“I mean don't get me wrong,” Jimin continues, voice tinted with amusement. “She's a smart girl, but a rather simple one. And what you did on Friday required a bit of planning, as I can imagine.”

“I just felt like having a bit of a fun.” Jennie's shoulders lift in a lazy shrug.

Jimin leans back against the bench. “It's a shame it actually helped them,” she remarks offhandedly.

Jennie swallows nervously, hearing these words, but decides to keep watching the game and say nothing, afraid that whatever she says would sound too defensive.

But Jimin refuses to leave it at that and further elaborates, “I heard Manoban wasn't playing in that match. From what I gather she's their key player, so they were at a disadvantage. But now the match is put off...,” she trails off, and Jennie can feel her eyes boring holes into the back of her skull.

It all makes Jennie's heartbeat quicken its pace. Jimin is blatantly questioning her motives. But why? She doesn't know about her meetings with Lisa. Unless... No, she doesn't. There's no way she does. Maybe she just wants to piss her off. Get under her skin with her vague words and rile her up, just for the fun of it.

So Jennie knows the best way to deal with this is to keep her cool, not letting the girl provoke her.

“They were lucky,” Jennie scoffs, looking over her shoulder at Jimin.“The referee could have made them forfeit the game.”

“Could he?” Jimin raises a single eyebrow. “I suppose he could. But it was just a match between two schools. I doubt he would consider such harsh punishment. As far as I know, it never happened before.”

Jennie grips the edge of the bench with her hands until her knuckles turn white. She stares at the girl, at her heavier than usual make-up. The sun illuminates her face, and Jennie can clearly see a darker patch of skin under her left eye.

She has already noticed it earlier. And she is certain that the rest has also noticed it. But of course, no one dares to speak, or ask about it.

Maybe Jimin lost a fight to someone, or maybe it's something else entirely. Something more sinister and cruel. Something that Jennie should never use against her. But feeling cornered as she is right now, Jennie does just that, thinking that two can play at this game.

A placid smile spreads across her lips as she asks, “What happened to you? Why were you absent this past week?”

Jimin blinks, a minute shift in her demeanor betraying her surprise.

“Flu,” she answers, and it's the first time when Jennie can actually tell that she's lying. Jimin must be aware of this, because she quickly adds (albeit in her usual nonchalant tone), “For someone who hates soccer you know awfully lot about it.”

Jennie smirks. “I could say the same about you,” she retorts easily, and she feels like she has won.

A checkmate kind of triumph. But unfortunately, it doesn't last long. And Jennie can tell by the way Jimin grins that she has yet another ace up her sleeve.

She leans closer to her, too close for Jennie's liking (she can smell her sickeningly sweet perfumes), and murmurs (almost huskily), “That's because you have to know your enemy, Jennie.”

The words send chills down Jennie's spine and fill her heart and mind with a sense of paralyzing dread. Because it no longer feels like they are talking about soccer.

(To be honest, it never does.

It never is just about soccer, is it?

But then what is it about?

And does she really want to find out?

No.

Never.

Never again.)

The sound of the school's bell announcing the end of the break brings Jennie back from her thoughts. Her eyes meet Jimin's face, and the girl flashes her one last smile, before she leaves the bench and joins June.

Taking a ragged breath, Jennie notices that Bobby hasn't left yet. And she knows it's kinda selfish, but she has never been more glad to see him than she is now.

“Bobby?” she asks, syllables a bit wobbly.

The boy is visibly taken aback by her addressing him but approaches her anyway. “Yeah?”

“Can you walk with me to class?”

He beams at her, and seeing his toothy grin makes her feel a bit better.

“Sure thing,” he says, and Jennie joins his side, clinging onto his arm.

“You know, lately, I've been thinking about stuff...,” he begins carefully as they are about to enter the school's building.

Jennie lets out a sigh. She's too emotionally drained to deal with his apology now.

“Bobby, can we talk about this later? Please?” she asks, looking up at him.

He doesn't say anything, just gives her a reassuring smile and nods.

“Thanks,” she says and squeezes his arm gently. “We can meet up after school,” she adds as an afterthought.

In her head, there's a brief flash of Lisa's disappointed expression. She ignores it, though, because Bobby agrees and that's all that should matter now.

* * *

“Want to hang out at my place today?” Jimin asks as she stops by Jennie's desk once the final school bell resounds.

Jennie isn't surprised that the girl acts like nothing has happened during the break earlier, and yet she almost laughs when she hears the proposition. Frankly speaking, she would rather be eaten alive by a pack of rabid dogs than spend her afternoon in Jimin's presence.

But of course, that's not something Jimin should know. They are friends, after all. And no, nothing has happened during that break.

“Sorry, I'm meeting with Bobby today,” Jennie says, slings her backpack over her shoulder and waves to the boy who already waits for her at the door.

“Shame,” Jimin replies, eyes lingering on Jennie for a second longer than the brunette deems as necessary.

But this time, Jennie resists the urge to frown. She's probably imaging things, anyway.

“Maybe next time,” she says, giving Jimin a light pat on her shoulder and leaves to join Bobby.

She greets him with a kiss on his lips, making sure that Jimin sees it.

* * *

Jennie goes with Bobby to a local restaurant, located near their school, to grab something to eat and talk. It's a small, quiet place with a western vintage exterior. A bit tacky but Jennie doesn't mind it that much.

“So like I said, I've been thinking about stuff...,” Bobby says, after returning the menu to the waitress.

Jennie stops mindlessly scrolling through her phone.

She'd thought she was ready to talk about what happened that day in Junhoe's basement. However right now, she isn't so sure anymore. Her guts still twist at the memory and fingers shake uncontrollably. But it's not like she can leave now.

“And I just wanted to say that I'm really sorry, Jen,” the boy says, and Jennie can tell he means it. His eyes are downcast and shoulders hunched, and when he speaks it's with quiet, careful words.

“I acted like a douchebag. I totally crossed the line, and I should have never--” his voice breaks all of a sudden, and he swallows hard. Jennie has never seen him looking so serious before, and she barely recognizes him.

“But I promise it won't ever happen again. I don't want to lose you, Jen. So can this idiot get a second chance? Hm?” he asks, ducking his head to meet Jennie's gaze.

And when she sees these silly bunny teeth, she smiles a little. Granted, Bobby isn't the smartest guy out there, he barely passes his tests and his sense of humor leaves a lot to be desired sometimes, but he is a genuine one, and that's something Jennie has always valued the most.

Somehow, however, this sudden realization is as much comforting as it is alarming, and Jennie's smile falters a little.

(She has never thought of it before but sometimes...

...he reminds her of...

...her...)

“Jen? Are you okay?”

She blinks at him and only now realizes that her cheek feels wet. She quickly wipes it with the heel of her palm.

“I'm fine,” she assures. “And yeah, that idiot can get a second chance.”

He grins at her and reaches to gently wipe her tears because somehow they don't want to stop flowing.

(But it's okay.

It's all good now.

Because Bobby is a boy.

So everything is as it should be.)

* * *

Drops of sweat trickle down Lisa's temple as she slowly makes her way towards the penalty area. She takes her position, observing as Jisoo prepares herself for a corner kick. However, her vision is soon blocked by a tall defender in an orange jersey.

Lisa scowls. The girl has been trailing her the entire match, making it impossible for Lisa to do just anything remotely useful with the ball.

And that's partly why the scoreboard displays two fat zeros.

Lisa jumps into the air when Jisoo finally kicks the ball. But the tall girl in front of her easily wins the header, and Lisa ends up only chasing the ball again as Deagu Dragons begin their counterattack.

Thankfully, their defenders are doing a much better job today than Lisa, or any of their midfielders for that matter, and Chaeyoung thwarts the opponent's attack with a well aimed slide.

Lisa releases a breath of relief and glances at the scoreboard. They still have twenty minutes. Plenty of time to score a goal or two.

“Come on girls, we still can win it!” she shouts to boost her team's morale.

“Ay, ay, Captain!” Jisoo salutes her playfully from the opposite side of the pitch.

Lisa shows her a thumbs up, and the Dragons resume the match from the sideline.

* * *

“Stupid, ing, useless piece of junk...” Lisa mutters under her breath as she struggles to open the padlock to her locker.

She tugs it and twists it, but the stupid thing just won't open, even though she's certain she has the correct code.

After trying a different code, just to make sure, Lisa finally gives up and punches the metal door, immediately regretting the action when pain shoots through her palm. Hissing out a curse, she falls onto the bench under the locker.

She's glad her teammates had already left. It wouldn't be good for the team's morale if they've witnessed just how pathetic their captain is.

But of course, there's one person who hasn't left yet.

“Geez Champ, relax.” Chaeyoung approaches her to sit down beside her. She takes her hand and assesses the damage. There's blood on Lisa's knuckles, and Chaeyoung glares at her when she sees it.

“Don't you think you're overreacting a bit?” the defender asks as she leaves to get a bandage from her bag. “We didn't lose, after all,” she says as she returns to Lisa's side and starts bandaging her lacerated palm.

“A nil-nil draw at our own school is just as good as a defeat,” Lisa mutters with a pout.

Chaeyoung gives her a doubtful look and shakes her head wordlessly.

“Done,” she says once she finishes tying the bandage. Then she proceeds to unlock Lisa's locker. “The code is your own birthday, you dummy. How can you even forget that?”

Lisa shrugs, smiling at her friend. It's a tired smile but an honest one. “Thanks, Chaeng,” she says.

“You're welcome.” Chaeyoung beams and pats her on the head. “Now, are you coming back with me?”

Lisa shakes her head. “Sorry. I just need some time alone.”

“Suit yourself,” Chaeyoung sighs and slings her duffel bag over her shoulder. “Just promise you won't go around punching stuff, 'kay?”

Once Chaeyoung leaves, Lisa takes her stuff from the locker and goes to the school's stadium where she takes a seat on the bleachers. Looking at the empty soccer field, she starts to replay the match in her head, analyzing her every step, every pass and every kick.

(What could she have done differently?

What opportunities did she miss?

What aspects of her play need improvement?)

But all of these observations Lisa makes and conclusions she reaches, do little to diminish that kind of frustration and disappointment she feels right now.

They were given a second chance, and they completely wasted it.

Sure, they didn't lose, but she refuses to settle for anything other than a victory.

(She has to be the best.

Before she faces them.

And tells them the truth.)

“You look like a beat up stray dog.”

Lisa flinches, hearing the familiar, blasé voice. She turns around and sees Jennie hiding under the bleachers and staring at her, or rather scowling, from underneath a baseball cap.

“Jennie?” Lisa asks, resisting the urge to rub at her eyes in disbelief because that would be just silly “What are you doing here? And why are you hiding under the bleachers? Wait, have you seen the match?”

“Wow,” Jennie deadpans, eyes squinting in obvious annoyance. “Maybe you should consider that prosecutor's career, after all. You seem to be good at throwing questions at people.”

“Sorry,” Lisa says with a sheepish smile. “I just didn't expect to see you here.”

“Yeah, whatever,” Jennie mutters and looks around the place as if she's looking for someone - someone whom she actually doesn't want to see.

And when it seems like she's certain that the person isn't there, she leaves her hideout and takes a seat next to Lisa.

“You know that a nil-nil draw is not the end of the world, right?” she states as a matter-of-factly.

Lisa rolls her eyes. “I've already explained to you how important that match was. I'm not gonna repeat myself twice.”

Jennie snorts a humorless chuckle. “Good. That would be boring. And I wouldn't listen, anyway.”

“Shut up,” Lisa mumbles, nudging her shoulder.

A small smile ghosts over Jennie's lips, but it's so brief that Lisa is almost certain she has simply imagined it.

“Just win at their school, and you're good,” Jennie says, propping her elbows on the bleachers behind her.

“Easier said than done.” Lisa heaves a sigh and rests her chin in her palm.

They lapse into momentary silence, during which Lisa briefly wonders what made Jennie come here today.

(Briefly because she has already learned that it's futile to try and guess the girl's motives behind any of her actions.)

And yet, she steals a furtive glance at Jennie, looking for some kind of clue. But the girl's face is her usual stoic facade. Her eyebrows pulled in a frown and lips a tight line as she stares at the soccer field before them.

Lisa worries her lower lip between her teeth, thinking whether she should just simply ask her about it. But then she notices how Jennie's expression softens, melts into a wistful one, like she has just remembered something, and the memory is both happy and painful.

So Lisa decides to take a risk and ask the one question that has been lingering on her mind ever since that day she saw Jennie kick the ball during the P.E class.

“Jennie?”

“Mhm?”

“Why did you stop playing soccer?”

And Jennie yet again surprises Lisa because instead of looking like she wants to run away, or punch Lisa's face, her expression remains unaffected, as if she hasn't even heard the question.

Seconds tick by in silence, but to the blonde they feel like hours, and she almost loses her hope that Jennie will say anything. But then the girl looks at Lisa, her eyes searching and unsure when she replies:

“I wish I knew it myself.”

Lisa opens but no sound leaves them. And she can only stare at Jennie as the girl pushes her cap further down her face and with hands shoved to the pockets of her leather jacket, walks away.

Once again leaving Lisa with more questions than answers.

 

TBC

 

A/N: I'm really sorry for taking so long to update this. I had an awful writer's block when it comes to this story. But now the spring has come, and I feel motivated to write this again. I hope this chapter will make up for the delay. Also, huge thanks to all of the readers who left comments and even wrote to me personally asking about an update! Your unending support means a lot to me :D