Just One Match

Just a Game

Just One Match

 

Lisa dashes towards the penalty area, just a step ahead of Momo. She signals Jisoo she's free, and the left midfielder doesn't waste time. She crosses the ball into the box, but it's far from perfect, being delivered behind Lisa's back.

The blonde, however, doesn't give up. She spins around and leaping into the air, strikes a powerful overhead kick. Caught off guard, Nayoung doesn't even flinch as the ball flies past her and into the net.

Using her arms to diminish the impact of the fall, Lisa lands on the ground gracefully. The blue sky stretching above her reminds her of the yesterday's evening. A strange flutter settles in her stomach, and she grins.

Jennie. Just Jennie...

“That was freaking awesome!”

Jisoo's excited voice reaches Lisa's ears. Soon enough the midfielder is above her, reaching a hand to help her stand up.

“Thanks.” Lisa grins, wincing at the slight pain in her back.

“Lalisa!” Their coach's shrill voice sounds decidedly less impressed when she calls Lisa using her full name; it never foreshadows anything good.

Jisoo rolls her eyes. “Whatever she says, don't listen to her. It was totally mind-dropping.”

Lisa snorts a chuckle.

She's pretty sure her friend means mind-blowing. Or maybe jaw-dropping? Anyhow, she doesn't correct her. Jisoo has a habit of coming up with funny expressions. Maybe this is just one of her new inventions. Lisa doubts it will stick. They never do.

“Yo, you even managed to impress Stone Nayoung.” The midfielder nods her chin towards the tall goalkeeper behind them.

Lisa glances over her shoulder at the usually stoic vice-captain, and sure enough there's a smirk curving her lips.

“Next time I'll be prepared,” Nayoung mutters, kicking the ball towards the center of the pitch.

“I hope so,” Lisa tosses over her shoulder and runs to face their coach.

Although young, and quite a stunner with her long dark hair and slim figure, coach Lee can be very intimidating if she wants to.

(But the effect is completely lost on Lisa.

And she begins to suspect that she really does have a thing for long haired, scowling brunettes...)

“What the he--” the coach stops herself, pinching the bridge of her nose, before spearing Lisa with a glare. “What was that, hm?”

“An overhead kick?” Lisa offers sheepishly.

The woman sighs, her ponytail swaying side to side as she shakes her head.

“Do you know just how dangerous an overhead kick can be? You could have seriously injured yourself, Lisa. Break an arm, or worse, damage your spine. Such stunts are reserved only for experienced players. Promise me you won't try it again.”

Lisa frowns.

Sure, she may not be a world class soccer player (at least not yet), but she has been practicing the move for weeks. On a trampoline in her backyard. Plus, she pulled it off perfectly.

“But--!” She wants to argue, but the woman cuts her off easily.

“No buts. Promise, or I won't let you play in the next match.”

Lisa gasps, her eyes wide like saucers.

“Y--You can't do this,” she sputters, outraged. “We play with Daegu Dragons. That may just be the most important match of the season!”

Miss Lee crosses arms at her chest, wholly unaffected by Lisa's childish tantrum when she says, “Try me.”

Lisa's lower lip juts in a pout.

“Fine. I promise,” she mutters sourly and is about to return to her team when the coach calls her again.

“Lisa.”

With shoulders still slumped, the striker turns around, awaiting a reprimand for her bratty behavior unbecoming of her captain position. But to her surprise, Miss Lee's features soften and something akin to adoration flashes in her eyes.

“One day, you'll be unstoppable,” the woman says with a smile.

Hearing those words, Lisa's lips split into a grin, and her chest swells with pride.

“Thanks coach!” she says and not thinking much, runs to the woman to give her a quick hug.

As she realizes what she's doing, a fierce blush covers her cheeks. She quickly lets go of the woman and returns to her teammates.

“Coach Lee, hmm?” Chaeyoung muses when she and Lisa walk towards the locker room.

Lisa frowns. “What about her?”

Chaeyoung's lips quirk up in a teasing smile. “Nothing. It's just I didn't know you were into older women.”

Lisa stops, hanging ajar, and she can feel the tips of her ears heating up.

“Chaeyoouung,” she whines, shoving her friend away while the girl giggles uncontrollably.

* * *

Jennie always takes a seat in the corner of the classroom by the window. The reason for that is simple, if the class is boring, she can always spend her time looking through the window at whatever is happening outside.

Today that 'whatever' is the soccer team's practice. Which is weird because they used to have trainings during Jennie's biology period, when she's in a different classroom and doesn't have to witness them running around and screaming like a bunch of headless chickens.

Then she reminds herself that they have a match tomorrow. So maybe the practice lasts an hour longer today.

She looks around the classroom and sees that no one seems to be bothered by the fact. Most students either take notes, or doze off. There's no in between. It's a math class, after all. And the only person who could actually notice her is absent today.

Chanmi said Jimin hadn't been feeling well and decided to skip a day. It happens from time to time, almost as if the girl suffered from some strange affliction.

(Jennie suspects she does.

But she's never gonna admit to it.)

Jennie tries to focus on the blackboard, but her eyes keep veering to the side, catching glimpses of the practice match and the unmistakable blonde head.

(The images of yesterday's evening flash in her mind like snippets from an old movie.

A vexing nostalgia grips at her heart.

Because for the first time in years she had felt like herself again.)

Her thoughts dissipate, swept away by the rapid action happening outside the window.

Lisa is fast and agile but too reckless at times. She throws herself headfirst into the action, before trying to create a proper scoring opportunity first. At least, that's how Jennie sees it.

(Because her playstyle is the exact opposite of Jennie's.

She liked to play the game of patience, capitalizing on the mistakes of her opponents and fishing for the free kicks near the penalty area.

Granted, it wasn't the most spectacular style to watch but had a high success rate.

And that was all that mattered.)

Jennie blinks, realizing she has completely abandoned the boring math class for watching the game.

Once again, her wary gaze flits around the classroom, but no one has noticed anything. The earth hasn't spun out of its orbit. And Jimin's seat still remains unoccupied.

Twirling a pencil in her hand, Jennie returns to watching the game.

Lisa throws herself into another mad dash across the middle of the pitch. Her friend on the left wing waits for an opportunity to cross, but when she does, it's delivered slightly behind Lisa's back.

Jennie's pencil stops spinning.

“Don't...” a harsh whisper falls from her lips unawarely.

Lisa leaps into the air. Jennie screws her eyes shut.

“That was freaking awesome!”

A voice booms excitedly outside the window.

Jennie cracks one eye open, just enough to see Lisa looking perfectly well and uninjured. With a quiet sigh of relief, she slumps against her chair. The pencil rolls from her palm to the desk, snapped in half.

“Idiot,” she mumbles under her breath, staring at the broken pieces.

(She isn't sure if she refers to Lisa, or herself.)

* * *

“So what did the coach tell you, huh?” Jisoo asks as she puts her tray with food on the table and takes a seat next to Lisa.

“That I'll be unstoppable one day,” the blonde proclaims, grinning from ear to ear.

Chaeyoung scoffs, earning herself a kick under the table. “Hey! Do you want to injure the best defender on the team?”

Momo, who sits beside the redhead, stops chewing her sandwich and frowns.

“Excuse meh?” she mumbles around the food in , side-eying her fellow defender.

“I mean, best Korean defender, of course,” Chaeyoung rectifies with a smile.

After a brief pondering pause, Momo nods in agreement and resumes her chewing.

“Anyway,” Lisa chimes in and stifles a chuckle because Chaeyoung has just mouthed 'I'm still better' when Momo wasn't looking. “The coach also forbid me to perform overhead kicks.” She pouts, dropping her chin into her palm.

“Wha--t?” Jisoo almost chokes on her chocolate milk. “But I've already came up with a nickname for you, the Flying Lisa.”

“It did look dangerous,” Yuna deadpans behind her glossy magazine. “And according to your horoscope--”

“Hold up,” Chaeyoung cuts her off promptly. Yuna glowers past the rim of her periodical but says nothing. “I'm sure the coach knows what she's doing. And frankly, the Flying Lisa sounds too much like the Flying Dutchman, right Champ?”

But Lisa isn't given a chance to answer when a breathless Hyejeong runs up to them and plops down next to the self-proclaimed best defender on the team. She splays her hands on the table and leans forward, as if she is about to share with them the news of the century.

“You won't believe what I've just heard.”

Chaeyoung rolls her eyes. “Is this about some stupid gossip again? Don't you ever get bored of those?”

“No, and no,” Hyejeong retorts, before addressing everyone while smiling like a Cheshire cat. “It's way better than that.”

“Jesus, just spill the grain already.” Jisoo groans impatiently.

“Uhm, I'm pretty sure even Momo knows it's 'spill the beans',” Yuna says, giving Jisoo a look full of concern.

“Why would you spill the beans?” Momo scowls, puzzled. “Beans taste good.”

Lisa chuckles at their Japanese friend. She used to feel the same way and sometimes still do. Idioms are a pain in the for the foreigners. Even more so when you have someone like Jisoo around you who keeps messing them up, be it on purpose, or just for fun.

“Never mind. I take that back.” Yuna ducks back behind her magazine with a sigh.

Momo just shrugs.

“Guys, focus!” Hyejeong slams her hands against the table, catching everyone's attention. “Jimin's dad attended yesterday's match. The cameraman even caught him celebrating Kim Jonghyun's goal.”

Chaeyoung arches an eyebrow. “And we care because?”

Hyejeong's jaw slackens in disbelief.

“Are you serious? Don't you find it at least ironic that Jimin's dad likes soccer while his daughter hates it with burning passion?”

Chaeyoung purses her lips and shakes her head. “No, not really.”

“He's a politician.” Yuna makes another offhand remark. “He just want to up to his potential voters.”

“Well then, how do you explain the fact that Jimin isn't at school today? I bet she didn't show up out of embarrassment.”

“Or she's just not feeling well?” Lisa suggests and the rest hums their agreements.

Although she's surprised by the news (somehow she thought the hate for soccer was passed down in Jimin's family from generation to generation), she cannot help but to think that Hyejeong reads too much into it. She chalks it up to the girl's flare for the dramatic.

“Ugh, fine,” Hyejeong huffs and leans back in her seat, crossing arms at her chest. “So that may not be such a big news, after all.”

“It's an interesting trivia, I guess?” Jisoo offers as a way of comforting their gossip thirsty midfielder.

Unfortunately, it only makes Hyejeong's whines intensify.

“Literally nothing interesting happened lately!” She throws her arms up in exasperation. “I mean, except that Kim Jennie's kick of the century. Speaking of which, I still don't get it why you told us not to talk about it.” She slants Lisa a resentful look.

The striker blinks, flustered by the sudden change of the topic.

(To be honest, she isn't sure herself why she told her teammates not to talk about the incident with anyone.

Out of some misguided need to protect Jennie's image?

Maybe.)

Chaeyoung must have noticed her struggle to form any kind of coherent response because she quickly answers for her.

“We simply shouldn't get involved with them in any shape or form,” the girl provides, and Lisa communicates her gratefulness through a soft smile.

“Tell that to them,” Hyejeong mutters as she juts her chin towards Chanmi, Seolhyun and Mina who corner some poor first year.

They shove the younger girl away from the bulletin board, sneering at her like a pack of hungry hyenas, and after some pulling and pushing, chase her away from the cafeteria.

As much as the image angers Lisa, she's sort of glad Jennie isn't among the group of bullies.

(Maybe she has changed.

Or maybe she just had some business to attend elsewhere.)

“Seriously, what is their problem?” Jisoo pulls a face like the pudding she eats is past its expiration date.

“They're harassing anyone who wants to sign for the tryouts,” Yuna notices, crumpling the edges of her magazine.

“Shouldn't we do something?” Lisa sweeps her gaze over her teammates.

But they all mumble their excuses while avoiding her searching eyes.

“My horoscope says I should stay out of conflicts, today.”

“I shouldn't fight with full stomach.”

“I'm a pacifist.”

“I don't want to be in the center of their attention.”

“We have a match tomorrow. We should focus on that.” Chaeyoung at least sounds apologetic, but her reply still annoys the hell out of Lisa.

“Yeah, sure. Whatever,” the blonde says, not hiding her disappointment with her teammates' attitude.

She slings her duffel bag over her shoulder and leaves the cafeteria.

* * *

“Lisa?”

Lisa's father calls out the moment she enters the house.

“Yes, dad?” she asks as she toes her shoes off then ambles to the kitchen where the man is waiting for her.

He points his sharp chin at the chair opposite of his. Lisa's stomach twisting into knots as she sits down.

She tries not to think what her punishment will be if her father saw her yesterday when she sneaked out of the house to play with Jennie. Then she reminds herself that he wasn't even at home at that hour and calms down a bit.

The man leaves his chair and goes to stand behind it, resting his wiry hands on its back rest.

It all feels too much like an interrogation about to happen, and Lisa cannot help but to squirm under his piercing gaze.

“Tomorrow after school, I'm taking you with me to my work,” he states in a voice that allows no room for arguments.

Lisa's eyebrows knit in confusion. “What for?”

“I'll show you how the prosecutor's job looks like. You'll be able to talk with my colleagues about law schools. Maybe they will help you with choosing the right one for you.”

Lisa grips the edge of the table, knuckles turning white.

“But I have a match tomorrow. Can't we do this some other day?” she pleads, knowing that she cannot sound too confrontational, or else her dad will just cut the conversation short.

“I'm sure you can skip one match. Your future is more important than your hobby, Lisa.”

He gives her a pointed look, and she returns it easily. She is his own flesh and blood, after all. And she could argue her case, tell him it's not just a hobby. It's so much more than that. It's her passion. Her dream. Her future.

But he would never understand that. Maybe he would even tell her to quit the team because it has become too much of a distraction from what supposed to be her main goal. That is, to get in a prestigious law school and become a respected prosecutor, or a lawyer.

So she settles for silence, a tacit acceptance of her fate.

However, her rebellious nature refuses full compliance and finds a different way to manifest itself other than in a futile argument. She doesn't leave to her room like she's expected to, but to the corridor where she puts her shoes back on.

“Where are you going?” her father inquires, standing in the kitchen's threshold.

“To Chaeyoung's, she asked me to help her with math.” Lisa meets her father's stern eyes and tries to look indifferent.

(Chaeyoung says she's a bad liar, but maybe that's because she never really has good reasons to lie.

Like she has now.)

Just as her resolve is about to crumble under her father's unblinking gaze, the man gives a curt nod.

“Come back at eight. You cannot neglect your own studies,” he says as he strides through the corridor and into the living room.

Once he disappears, Lisa bolts through the door, grabs the ball from under the staircase and runs to the tennis court.

* * *

When Jennie came to school today, she half expected Bobby to greet her with a bouquet of flowers and a sad pout on his face. Maybe even kneeling beside her locker while waiting for her.

To her surprise, however, no such scene took place.

But they did see each other on the school corridor before the first bell. And it didn't escape Jennie's notice that Bobby looked rather contrite, his posture slumped and smile lackluster. He didn't approach her but acknowledged her presence with a little wave of his hand, before he entered the classroom. Jennie was surprised but glad at the same time, since she planned to avoid him, anyway.

She knows they will have to talk sooner or later. But in this case, she much more prefers the later option.

(The memory of what happened between them in the June's basement still fills her with dread.

Turns her into shuddering mess.

And she doesn't know how to control it.)

With Jimin being absent from school and Bobby not following her, Jennie feels more at ease than ever.

Of course, there's still Chanmi, Seolhyun and Mina who try to drag her into another one of their bullying schemes. But Jennie doesn't even ask them what they are planning to do. She doesn't care. And she easily rebuffs them saying that she needs to pick up some books from the library. They call her a nerd. She gives them the middle finger.

So maybe it's because the day at school turned out so easy and stress-free that she decides to visit the tennis court in the evening, again.

(Other reasons are too scary to even consider them.

All having dark eyes and plush lips.)

When Jennie arrives at the destination, Lisa is already there. Drenched in sweat, she's kicking the ball mercilessly against the wall with such strength that Jennie can almost see the concrete square shaking.

“Are you trying to collapse it?” Jennie asks, but Lisa doesn't even spare her a glance, focused on beating the crap out of the green wall.

And it becomes pretty apparent to Jennie that something is wrong. The violent kicks and the scowl on Lisa's face speak of that kind of frustration Jennie felt when she came to this place for the first time.

So Jennie doesn't say anything and just observes, letting Lisa vent her anger on the wall. It doesn't take long, however, because by the looks of it, Lisa has been getting at it for quite some time already.

She bends forward, rests her hands on her knees and finally looks up at Jennie. Her chest heaving while her tongue darts to wet her chapped lips.

Jennie drops her gaze, swallowing thickly. The air feels hotter than a minute ago, and she thinks that this is exactly why she shouldn't have come here.

(Because her breath hitches in a way that it shouldn't.

And her heart dares to skip a beat.

It's maddening and repulsive.)

“Dad told me to skip the match tomorrow so that he can take me to his job,” Lisa says in between the pants.

Jennie's eyebrows furrow at the sudden confession, and she glances at the girl.

She's not sure why Lisa is telling her this. To be perfectly honest, Jennie didn't even intend to ask what caused her to try and collapse the wall. But maybe Lisa feels somehow compelled to explain herself? Or she just doesn't want them to stand in awkward silence? Whatever the reason, Jennie isn't going to stop her from speaking.

“He thinks it'll help me with choosing the law school,” the blonde continues as she straightens up and wipes the sweat off her forehead with the hem of her t-shirt.

Jennie turns her head away so fast that something snaps in her neck, and she winces. But the pain is nothing compared to the warmth that spreads in her stomach as the image of Lisa's perfectly toned stomach burns itself into her mind.

(Sickening.

Absolutely sickening.)

“Law school?” Jennie mutters the question as a way to distract herself, but also because she is a bit curious about that part.

“He's a prosecutor. Wants me to go in his steps,” Lisa says and sits down on the ground, toying with the ball in her hands.

“Do you wan to?” Jennie moves to sit down as well.

Lisa shakes her head. “But it doesn't matter what I want.”

“Right,” Jennie mumbles because she kinda understands. “Still, it's just one match.”

“You don't get it,” Lisa says, frustration edging her voice. “It may be the most important match of the season. Daegu Dragons are our toughest rivals, and if we lose to them tomorrow, we may even lose the league title at the end of the season.”

Jennie lets out a small chuckle. Lisa is really serious about the whole soccer thing. It reminds Jennie of herself, but she doesn't linger on the thought.

“Don't you trust your teammates?” Jennie asks, lips tipped up in a cheeky smile.

Lisa tilts her head, looking at her as if she has just said the stupidest thing ever.

“We're already at a disadvantage without Hyunjin and Siyeon,” the blonde states adamantly. “And not to brag, but I'm the best striker on the team. I mean, hello? Top scorer of the previous season? So yeah, that's that.”

Jennie grins in spite of herself. Lisa's confidence in her skills is somewhat endearing. Same goes for her exaggerated smirk.

“By the way, no one showed up to the tryouts,” the girl mutters, her expression darkening all of a sudden, and Jennie doesn't miss the accusation that flashes in her eyes.

But she can only shrug to that. She guesses Lisa's words have something to do with Chanmi, Mina and Seolhyun, but Jennie isn't their babysitter. And she most certainly won't tell them what they can do and what they cannot. The sooner Lisa understands this, the better.

“Whatever. I don't even know why I'm telling you all of this.”

“Sometimes it's easier to talk to strangers about your problems,” Jennie suggests, but her words seem to only further sour Lisa's mood.

They fall into awkward silence. Jennie observes as the sun slowly sinks behind the horizon, and it gives her an idea.

“Aren't you playing in the evening? Maybe you won't miss the whole match.”

“I may arrive by the end of it, if I'm lucky.”

The perspective doesn't seem to fill Lisa with much optimism, and Jennie decides that she's fed up with her moping around. It doesn't suit her.

“I'm bored. Are we playing, or what?” she jumps to her feet and whisks the ball from under Lisa's palm.

Lisa looks over her shoulder at her, a soft smile blossoming on her lips. And Jennie wills herself no to look back. Because that's the expression that suits Lisa the most.

* * *

Jennie doesn't know how or why she came up with the plan. It just happened.

Yesterday, before she went to sleep, she was staring at the ceiling, and she might or might have not been thinking about Lisa's sad eyes. And the bam! the idea fell on her like the apple on Newton's head. Though it was more of a memory than an idea.

Something that happened during her trip to London when her dad took her to the stadium for the first time in her life. Right then and there, Jennie decided that she loved the game but hated its supporters.

Anyhow, the idea was perfect because no one would suspect anything.

So the next day, during their lunch break, she sits down with Chanmi, Mina and Seolhyun (Jimin is still absent, but Jennie tries not to be too happy about it) and decides to share the plan with them.

“The match is today,” she says as she plops down beside Seolhyun and steals a grape from her lunch box.

Chanmi shoots her a wry look. “And?”

“I heard it's important,” Jennie continues, flashing her a cheeky grin.

“Aand?” Chanmi drawls now with a hint of curiosity in her voice.

“How about we stir some up, hm? You know, so that Jimin would be proud of us.” Jennie arches a challenging brow at the younger girl and pops another grape into .

Chanmi smirks. “You have my attention.”

“Okay, so here's what we need...” Jennie leans forward and starts to explain the details of her plan in a hush.

* * *

Staring at the piece of black cloth in her hand, Jennie wonders just what the hell she is doing.

(Because no, she is not doing this for Lisa.

That would be just ridiculous.)

And then she reminds herself that Jimin will be impressed once she hears about what they did. Who knows, maybe she'll even become less suspicious of her? She sure did gain some trust points in Chanmi's eyes. The girl was ecstatic about the plan. It kinda creeped the hell out of Jennie.

“ it,” she mumbles then shoves the cloth into her backpack, slings it over her shoulder and leaves her room.

As she runs down the stairs, her mother intercepts her. A hopeful smile on her lips when she asks, “Are you going to see the match?”

And Jennie thinks it's bitterly ironic and unfair.

Because Lisa wants nothing more than to play soccer, but her father wants her to spend her life in a courtroom. Meanwhile, Jennie's parents are ready to sell their souls to the devil just to see her play again.

“No,” she replies and doesn't stay to see how her mother's smile falters yet again.

* * *

The two hours Lisa spends with her father at his job is easily the most boring time of her life. And if anything, it only strengthens her belief that she would rather die than become a prosecutor.

But of course, she greets everyone with a smile and asks a lot of questions, hoping that the more interest she shows, the faster the whole farce will end. The strategy proves successful, and her father even agrees to take her back to school.

Lisa jumps out of the car the moment her father parks it in front of the school's building. He shouts something after her, but his words get lost in the wind swishing by her ears.

She bursts into the building like a hurricane and almost slips on the polished floor when she rounds a corner. Luckily, she regains her balance and finally reaches the doors of the locker room. She flings it open and... sees her team ready to leave.

They stare at her, looking mostly dejected while she counts the time in her head again. But according to the clock that hangs in the room, she's right, and the match should last for another half an hour.

“What happened? Why aren't you playing?”

Chaeyoung steps forward, a heavy sigh escaping her lips.

“Before the match even began, a group of masked people showed up and started throwing flares at the pitch. Long story short, the referee decided to put off the match.”

“I bet it was Jimin and her minions.” Hyejeong huffs, folding arms at her chest.

Ironically, her friend's words bring a little smile to Lisa's lips. But noticing Chaeyoung's suspicious look, she quickly replaces it with a more neutral expression.

“Anyway, better tell us why the hell would you ditch us, huh?” Jisoo confronts her with an angry scowl on her face as she steps between her and the defender.

Dragging fingers through her hair, Lisa drops to the nearest bench. She knows her team isn't as much disappointed in the match being put off as they are in her not showing up.

“I'm sorry guys,” she mutters apologetically. “My dad dragged me to his job.”

“Is this about that stupid law school again?” Chaeyoung plops down next to her, draping a comforting arm over her shoulder.

“Yeah,” Lisa says and looks up to meet her teammates' eyes. “I just didn't have the guts to tell you guys. I'm like the worst captain ever.”

“Hey, it's okay.” Jisoo pats Lisa on the knee as she crouches in front of her. “I mean, it's not your fault your dad wants to make some Ace Attorney out of you, right girls?”

The whole team nods in agreement.

Lisa chuckles in relief, eyes slightly wet but she keeps her composure.

“Just next time give us some heads up, 'kay?” Jisoo says with a wink, and Lisa nods vehemently.

“Now that I think of it, we should actually thank Jimin,” Yuna states, rubbing her chin in thought. “Since the match is put off till next week, we can play as a whole team again.”

“Luck in disguise,” Jisoo exclaims, jumping to her feet.

“Don't you mean 'blessing'?” Yuna corrects, but the midfielder waves her off.

“I'm an atheist.”

“Right...”

“Where's the coach?” Lisa suddenly asks, looking around the locker room.

“In her office. You should probably go and talk to her. But be warned, she's seriously pissed,” Chaeyoung informs, chuckling at Lisa's pained expression.

After that, the team says their goodbyes and leaves, but Lisa stops Chaeyoung, wanting to talk to her alone.

“I'm sorry I didn't tell you anything,” she mutters awkwardly. “I just I didn't know how and--”

“Hey, it's okay, Champ,” the defender assures with a smile as she looks into Lisa's eyes. “I won't say am not disappointed, but I kinda get you. I know soccer means a lot to you, and it that your parents don't approve of that. But maybe you should really try and talk to them. Tell them what you really want to do in life.”

Lisa laughs but it lacks humor. “No, it would be a disaster. I would much rather come out to them than tell them that I think of becoming a professional soccer player.”

“Well, if you put it this way, it really does sound bad,” Chaeyoung admits sadly. “Anyway, whatever happens I always have your back. So don't you ever be afraid to talk to me about anything that bothers you, get it?”

Lisa shows two thumbs up. “Got it.”

“Good.” Chaeyoung flashes her a satisfied smirk. “Now run to Miss Lee and be sure to behave yourself,” she says as she turns Lisa around and gives her a little shove on the back.

Lisa stumbles forward but regains her footing and looks back at Chaeyoung. “What that supposed to mean?”

“Oh, I don't know. Don't jump her bones, or something.”

Blushing madly, Lisa rolls her eyes. “You're seriously the worst, Chaeng.”

“Love you too.” The defender sends her a cheeky wink and leaves the locker room.

* * *

After spending two days in the lavish mansion, the place begins to feel too much like a prison. Though on a second thought, it has always felt that way. A golden cage her parents stubbornly insist on calling a 'home'.

Jimin abhors it.

The fancy draperies and carpets, famous paintings and vases made of Chinese porcelain. It's all so pretentious and unnecessarily flamboyant. Jimin feels sick just by looking at it.

So when the Friday evening arrives, she decides to finally break free, or else she's bound to lose her mind.

She's about to leave the house, not making a secret of it, when her father appears behind her in the corridor.

“Where are you going?” he asks, and Jimin easily catches onto that tiny trace of panic and fear in his voice.

Pathetic.

Smirking, she turns around to face him. “To June's place.”

“You can't leave yet,” the man warns, stepping closer to her. His tall, broad frame looming over her in a sinister manner. “Besides, I told you to stop meeting that boy.”

Jimin chuckles, tilting her head.

“Why?” she inquires calmly. “Is it because you want to see me suffer like you do? Deny me happiness just because you can't reach your own? Tell me, just how frustrated were you after seeing that match, hm? Were you ha--”

She flinches, closing her eyes and bracing herself for the impact as her father lifts his burly hand. But nothing happens. She opens her eyes and sees the man red-faced and shaking, veins popping along his neck.

Jimin grins because her father looks like a caricature of himself.

“You're pathetic,” she says when his hand drops to his side. “But don't worry. I won't tell him I have it because of you.”

Before she leaves the house, she glances into the mirror that hangs beside the door.

The purple bruise around her eye barely visible.

She did a good job with the makeup.

 

TBC

 

A/N:  The longest chapter so far, but I hope you'll enjoy it. Thank you for all the subs and comments! And remember that your feedback means the world to me, so please don't be afraid to leave comments!